Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

mcmagic posted:

Over Flayer?

I think you want both. You can play a lot of 2 drops when you don't have to give your opponent ramp in order to kill their stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

do you mean unban because if so the answer is yes and for which one, the answer is to reprint brainstorm

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Unban Top gently caress Modern let's go full control

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah I meant unban.

Or maybe just ban Serum Visions so I never have to cast that piece of poo poo spell again.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Voyager I posted:

Yeah I meant unban.

Or maybe just ban Serum Visions so I never have to cast that piece of poo poo spell again.

I let out an involuntary snicker whenever someone casts it against me.

empathe posted:

Unban Top gently caress Modern let's go full control

Yes and ban Terminus. In both formats.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

suicidesteve posted:

Yes and ban Terminus. In both formats.

Where's the fun in that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Unban every card in the game and ban all Magic players.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

I let out an involuntary snicker whenever someone casts it against me.

I didn't know you played Modern.

Like, please tell me nobody goes deep enough to cast loving Serum Visions in a format where Preordain, Ponder, and loving Brainstorm are all legal.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

I wonder if it would be safe to unban a regular cantrip now that Probe is rightfully dead.

I agree with this but I'm not sure about your reasoning. In my mind they fill different niches- Ponder et al. are better for finding cards you need, while Probe's strength comes from it being a free way to determine if you can combo off. I'm not sure if Wizards is ready to start giving combo its good card selection tools back, and these two bans seems targeted at the two main combo decks in the format (Dredge and Infect).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I didn't know you played Modern.

Like, please tell me nobody goes deep enough to cast loving Serum Visions in a format where Preordain, Ponder, and loving Brainstorm are all legal.

I play modern occasionally. It's always a mistake and I can't recommend not doing it enough. Somehow in the 3 modern tournaments I've played somewhat recently, which were full of (like probably 65%) Jund/k, Chord decks, and UWR I only ever get paired against Affinity, Burn, and Infect.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

I play modern occasionally. It's always a mistake and I can't recommend not doing it enough. Somehow in the 3 modern tournaments I've played somewhat recently, which were full of (like probably 65%) Jund/k, Chord decks, and UWR I only ever get paired against Affinity, Burn, and Infect.

I want to watch you play Ad Nauseum so I can witness the tears streaming down your cheek every time you cast a filtering spell.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I want to watch you play Ad Nauseum so I can witness the tears streaming down your cheek every time you cast a filtering spell.

Death first.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Come to my store, there's no Burn and only one guy I know of on Infect who shows up less than half the time. A few people on Affinity but I know one of them has a couple other decks he enjoys playing more, he hasn't brought Affinity in a couple months (lost a close finals to him when he was playing Ad Nauseum of all decks).

The group that shows up from week to week is pretty varied so I never know what to expect going in. The only constant is one dude who either works at the store part-time or lives next door who's always on UWR control, plus another guy on a similar deck sans red. I've drawn one of them the last three FNMs but they're at least winnable matchups.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

Unban every card in the game and ban all Magic players.

this is the correct opinion.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

pretty hosed up that when I was on Elves I played Jund, Jund, GR Tron

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Just play grixis delver and never worry about having a good matchup.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Just play grixis delver and never worry about having a good matchup.

I play Blue Tron. I'm way ahead of you.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

just play bloom titan and don't worry about playing(because your deck is banned)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I play Blue Tron. I'm way ahead of you.

what are your thoughts on noted skill-intensive card Cavern of Souls

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I play Blue Tron.

You are just the worst kind of person.

But I assume you're at least competent with the deck. The thing that drives me nuts about it on MTGO lately, I've done things like win "through a Mindslaver loop" ....my opponent couldn't actually figure out how to close the loop with sequencing, so I got to take a turn every other turn. Plus they were incredibly slow and made bad choices (you can't really do a fuckton of damage with Mindslaver effects against mono black when it's late game and I'm empty-handed, he was better off constantly recurring his Wurmcoil Engine and overwhelming me with the tokens).

I'll take the win, but I will never get that hour of my life back (same reason I despised eggs and currently want to set fire to anyone playing Lantern).

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm trying to understand how it's possible to be this bad at Magic. Was the concept of the Upkeep phase completely beyond him or what?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Pretty much. End step, too. He would always be careful to leave up Academy Ruins and blue mana, but then would never use it. There were a few occasions where I was able to disrupt him but he could have recovered far more quickly than he did had he just activated Ruins in his upkeep or something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I'm trying to understand how it's possible to be this bad at Magic. Was the concept of the Upkeep phase completely beyond him or what?

Sounds like one of the better players on MTGO. I have pretty much no respect for people on MTGO. They're almost universally terrible. I played against Lands the other day. Dude main-phases a Marit Lage. With me having a Karakas in play. So I untapped, bounced it and played a RiP. Then after the RiP got Gripped they decided to let me equip a SoFI to my Thalia, Heretic Cathar instead of killing it with a Punishing Fire. Then declined to remove it from combat with Maze of Ith on the following turn.

Given how badly they played, I figured I was about 90% to lose the match because that's how my life works. But somehow I managed to capitalize on half a dozen huge mistakes and win.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This reminds me of people regularly bringing in Stone Rains against my Kuldotha Jeskai deck, just to 1-for-1 my artifact lands.

Like...okay?

Also the Dead Dog player who spent every draw step recurring Brownscale in order to die more slowly while preventing himself from ever drawing any outs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Nothing makes me happier than Molten Raining a bounce land and even I don't bring it in against that deck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to play Bitterblossom and Ajani Vengeant in Modern. Should I build up for WB tokens or Sun and Moon first?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Star Man posted:

I want to play Bitterblossom and Ajani Vengeant in Modern. Should I build up for WB tokens or Sun and Moon first?

Play both, build Mardu badstuff.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Voyager I posted:

This reminds me of people regularly bringing in Stone Rains against my Kuldotha Jeskai deck, just to 1-for-1 my artifact lands.

Like...okay?

Also the Dead Dog player who spent every draw step recurring Brownscale in order to die more slowly while preventing himself from ever drawing any outs.

What format is this?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sigma-X posted:

What format is this?

pauper

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

Star Man posted:

Mar-do it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

god bless the people out there coming out with cool names for decks like "Dead Dog"

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Picking up the Lotus lead to a great deal on some more clean Power, so I'm up to 3/9. It (rightfully) caused a bit of a freak out from the missus, though, so I'll be proxying up the rest. Going to my first Vintage event ever this weekend with the following list:
code:
4 Deathrite Shaman
3 Leovold, Emissary of Trest
3 Young Pyromancer
(Creatures) 10

3 Flooded Strand
1 Island
4 Scalding Tarn
2 Tropical Island
2 Underground Sea
2 Volcanic Island
(Lands) 14

1 Dack Fayden
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
(Planeswalkers) 2

1 Ancestral Recall
1 Black Lotus
1 Brainstorm
3 Cabal Therapy
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dig Through Time
2 Dismember
2 Flusterstorm
3 Force Of Will
3 Gitaxian Probe
3 Gush
3 Mental Misstep
1 Mox Emerald
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Ponder
3 Preordain
1 Time Walk
1 Treasure Cruise
(Other) 34

2 Abrupt Decay
2 Ancient Grudge
4 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Null Rod
1 Pyroblast
1 Snuff Out
1 Sulfur Elemental
2 Tormod's Crypt
(Sideboard) 15

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anyone who wants to see why Terminus needs to go, watch Reid's latest video. Match 3 I think.

Terminus #1: on their turn 4 draw step, has Counterspell for Reid's Force. Because you should be able to cast a 2 mana spell plus a board wipe with 3 mana

Terminus #2: the next turn to clean up the rest of Reid's cards, I think followed up by some spell or another.

Terminus #3: a few turns later followed up by a JtMS. Because you should be able to wipe the board again and cast a 4 mana spell on the same turn that early in the game.

What a cool card that isn't completely format warping!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

suicidesteve posted:

Anyone who wants to see why Terminus needs to go, watch Reid's latest video. Match 3 I think.

Terminus #1: on their turn 4 draw step, has Counterspell for Reid's Force. Because you should be able to cast a 2 mana spell plus a board wipe with 3 mana

Terminus #2: the next turn to clean up the rest of Reid's cards, I think followed up by some spell or another.

Terminus #3: a few turns later followed up by a JtMS. Because you should be able to wipe the board again and cast a 4 mana spell on the same turn that early in the game.

What a cool card that isn't completely format warping!

Without Top, Terminus would see zero play. It's never the payoff, it's the enabler.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Without Top, Terminus would see zero play. It's never the payoff, it's the enabler.

And Top is played in plenty of other decks and is a perfectly fine card contrary to what people want to believe from playing against bad players. Terminus is played in one deck and is singlehandedly responsible for keeping an entire archetype down.

Again none of this matters because if they ban anything it'll be Top.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Glad I've already got Elves in case they ban Top or Terminus. :rolleyes:

It's not gonna happen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Honestly Modern is looking pretty darn solid right now

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

And Top is played in plenty of other decks and is a perfectly fine card contrary to what people want to believe from playing against bad players. Terminus is played in one deck and is singlehandedly responsible for keeping an entire archetype down.

Again none of this matters because if they ban anything it'll be Top.

What archetype is miracles keeping down? The deck is good but its not dominant I mean, ffs, Reid won both the match you are talking about and also the most recent legacy GP using a creature-based deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Elyv posted:

pauper

The best format.

Because I can play a foiled out Acid Trip control deck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

The March Hare posted:

What archetype is miracles keeping down? The deck is good but its not dominant I mean, ffs, Reid won both the match you are talking about and also the most recent legacy GP using a creature-based deck.

Aggro. Like, all of it. I don't know how Miracles not winning a GP means it's not dominant? It's pretty clearly the best deck and by a good amount. What are its bad match-ups?