Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Well, Console Players, on February 28th you can finally do Karak Azgaraz DLC...and also have access to the Quests & Contracts board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Lunethex posted:

I've sunk almost more hours into Vermintide than I have my all-time favorite game RE5 (which I have over 1000 hours in across 3 systems) and I can say that he's telling the truth on how poorly games can go.

I now have THREE quests for grims on NM garden of moor and I swear I've had really good experiences with pubbies on it but am now just had my TENTH loving throw from pubbies with no situational awareness. At this point I'm just trying to complete the map with partial quest completion. I just wanna limp into that carriage and its simply asking too much of John Q. Rando's mental faculties.

Hey, bright wiz and elf, if I'm dwarf and I got the one shield in the party and i'm carrying the only grimoire we've picked up maybe don't loving run off East-Jesus in the middle of godsdamned nowhere in the finale.

Furthermore: elves I can deal with. But I play a lot of BW and hoooooly smokes do pubbie BWs test my genteel liberal tolerance. Its a shame because I really enjoy the controller role too, but too often it means I have spectator seats to the most awful strikers on the internet.

e; if I can beat moor with one grim and a roger spawn, that'll be what finally gives me the globadier trinket on the quest board. Its just not happening. :gonk:

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 11, 2017

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Syrnn posted:

What, you don't just poop from the treetops, fertilizing your subsistence foraging grounds with your enchanted spoor?

fun warhammer factoid: eldar poop crystals in 40K and This Is Literally GW Canon

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Garden of Morr is some fresh hell. Even with goons the finale is a disaster these days

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Garden of Morr is some fresh hell. Even with goons the finale is a disaster these days

"You just need four GamersTM moving together, two covering two striking, to four points and an exit" he says, sardonically, on a comedy videogame joke forum. christ i'm salt, i'm sorry everyone I'll stop :(

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
There is something about Garden of Morr that makes it rather drab and unfun to play. I swear it's something to do with the rather drab scenery which I suppose is fitting.

Then again in my experience it doesn't share the tendency to have wipes which Engines of War possesses.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Lunethex posted:

Can someone describe to me the very peak of "Elf Pubbie"? What traits embody the worst of that encounter

refuses to drop down to the supply and demand finale, instead sniping with their trueflight until they get buttfucked by multiple specials

Lunethex posted:

Well, Console Players, on February 28th you can finally do Karak Azgaraz DLC...and also have access to the Quests & Contracts board!

:laffo:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

All Ubersreik maps are challenging solely for the fact some run like poo poo and most are very dark, bordering on Doom 3 levels making it hard to see enemies. The lighting's all over the place. Drachenfels and Karak Azgaraz maps are so fun though because you can see everything and there's good lighting.

I will say though that Garden of Morr is my least favorite, I just don't like graveyard settings and I also have had bad experiences in that map, with it eating me or the bots (falling through the map) and also crashing at the end many times in the past I just ended up veering away from it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I haven't seen the ending of morr go bad in a long time. Just go clockwise starting with the left and wait to kill the wave that spawns after each chain instead of running off and getting swarmed in between chains. Every chain features a good defensible area except for the lower one on the right, which is why you end with that one.

It's definitely one of the easiest levels with grimoires if you just use some strategy and communicate it, although it has the same chance as anything else to spawn a gently caress squad of special rats and destroy you almost uncontrollably. I usually feel confident about morr, unlike wizard's tower and cursed rune where still have not found a reliable strategy for the end and frequently lose if we have all the books.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Ladies and gentlemen, I present: The Lunethex difference

(not pictured: the greatest dialog spam in human history, and a sackrat and two dozen packmasters spawning inside the carriage at the end)

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Packmasters were me. I like to get there first, close the door, then spawn some inside to scare people. They can't do anything inside the carriage so they just stand there. Blocking it.

And then you starve.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Lunethex posted:

I've sunk almost more hours into Vermintide than I have my all-time favorite game RE5 (which I have over 1000 hours in across 3 systems) and I can say that he's telling the truth on how poorly games can go.

RE5 Mercenaries was so good and it's a shame that everything after RE5 was just so miserable. I had like 200 hours in RE5 mercs and now that I'm reminded it exists I need to plug my PS3 back in sometime and play it again.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Lunethex posted:

Oh boy! I can't for that to come out and then already be invalidated by some other release down the line :d:

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Morr is great when you have CC and someone who will dedicate themselves to guarding your back. When i'm salty with a 1h axe i tend to stay behind the shields moving up to kill stormvermin or guarding the flanks but most importantly its my job to keep the rats off your rear end because theres tons of spawns that chase you on that map. You'll never notice my brace of pistols picking off that slave rat about to whack your back.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I have never played Dungeons until this evening.

:stare:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Dungeons is easy join my crew

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Being able to one-shot Packmasters with Saltzpyre's 1h axe quick attack is therapeutic, and Backstabbery makes the most delicious crunching sound. :black101:

I'm not entirely sure how to handle crowds effectively with it though, it seems like only the first two (horizontal) attacks are what I want to use? So far I've been doing two quick swings then blocking/dodging/shoving to reset my swings and to get a breather. It works, but unless I have a buddy next to me I don't feel like I can attack nonstop with it.

This patch has been game-changing, I used to exclusively use 2h weapons but now it's the arming sword and handaxe for everyone!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

With the Axe your job is not to take on a horde from the front, you need to work behind or to the sides of teammates. If you have the Crossbow, Brace of Pistols, or Volley Bow, you can do a lot of damage before they get close enough (Rupture on Brace helps immensely) and your axe will be useful in pasting every Stormvermin that gets close.

And the Ogre too.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Excellent, thanks! I do naturally drift to the side of packs (I've been using sword/dagger as Kerillian) but have tried to Rambo it from the front at times. It seems like this weapon could be even more devastating if there's a Kruber/Bardin that's using sword n board.

I did also land on a Brace of Pistols (Rupture on it of course) since I can't get the drat volley crossbow to drop, and at this point my BW buddy and I barely break stride when we come across a stormvermin patrol. I haven't fought Roger with the axe yet, but I can't wait to use a strength potion with this thing. :getin:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I love the axe and increasingly I take it because the team seems to have no way to deal with Stormvermin effectively. I wish I had rolled backstabbery on it.

But yeah it's not good for hordes. You need somebody on the team with a shield or a two-hander to handle the hoards while you maneuver around the sides. Slash-slash-dodge is precisely what I do with it.

EDIT: Honestly, Axe+BoP is a good combo. The crossbow/volley xbow is good but I tend to pair it with weapons that don't have a great answer to Stormies, like the flamberge. Because of the limited ammo on the volley xbow I don't like to pair it with a weapon like the axe, because the axe can pretty much only kill one thing at a time. You want something with a little more spray, but not the repeater, because that's garbage.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 12, 2017

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

Lunethex posted:

Dungeons is easy join my crew

Whats the best way to handle roger in the dark?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

You put a torch in the corner where he drops down from. When a special is in the light, you can mark it. Bombing him and burst DPSing is the only way to go from there but the mark goes a long way to making sure people can see him.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If everyone is competent and communicating you can have a dedicated torch bearer and it's kind of cool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I finally got a good mace and shield and holy christ is this weapon bad next to either just the mace, or the sword and shield.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
always have one of: saltzpyre with volley bow or elf with hagbane. team deals with horde, they drink strength and alpha down ogre.

dungeons still sucks

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Rregrowth(N)+scav+dev blow on a rapier is simply the most amazing weapon ever. I shoot everything with my pistols to thin out the normal rats and use my rupture to polish off slave hordes when they appear. When poo poo gets too close i just start swinging dicing up every single rat getting my ammo back. When a stormvermin needs to die i use my pistol to headshot him then stab his face. I just sit back and empty my brace of pistols when roger appears, going to get the volley bow eventually to do this instead of my pistols.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The red sword and shield is on the bounty board today. Is it worth sinking 10 keys into?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

It's good if you want to play Kruber with a Sword & Shield more often.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

mp5 posted:

The red sword and shield is on the bounty board today. Is it worth sinking 10 keys into?

Charged attack regrowth on the shield is apparently a wasted trait slot, so maybe not if you've already got an orange one with good traits?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah it has Regrowth (Charged), Swift Slaying (Normal), and Perfect Balance. I don't already have an orange one, but I also don't really want to play Kruber very much.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Trivia question: there's a conversation where Bardin says he would visit elf forest and Kerilian says he'd be welcome to come and Bardin is surprised ("Really? That's not what I've heard"). It always ends there and seems really awkward, begging a response from Kerilian. Is there a final line of dialogue I've never heard where she maybe talks about showing off the woods or just snarks him (I assume the latter)?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The red sword and shield looks cool and does not cover your screen when you block. The traits are really bad. Skip if style isn't enough to justify it to you.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

I can honestly say it isn't Optimal, but its abilities aren't also self-defeating poo poo like many other Reds and also looks cool as hell; so, yes it is worth it. I'm not sure why regrowth would be a bad thing to have on the charge attack, considering its primary use is to just throttle as many rats as you can as fast as you can to keep them stunned, and so each rat hit is a chance to proc regrowth. 6 shield is also pretty hilarious and will survive a point blank gunner barrage, but its best use was pre-1.5 (i.e. where most of my experience comes from), when you could whip out a medkit or tome for 6 shield at 95% run speed. Without that level of cheese, you can probably make a better orange, but Reds are Reds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Syrnn posted:

I can honestly say it isn't Optimal, but its abilities aren't also self-defeating poo poo like many other Reds and also looks cool as hell; so, yes it is worth it. I'm not sure why regrowth would be a bad thing to have on the charge attack, considering its primary use is to just throttle as many rats as you can as fast as you can to keep them stunned, and so each rat hit is a chance to proc regrowth.
Shield bashes only count the first rat hit as a damaging attack that can proc regrowth; the other rats hit are simply pushed and cannot proc. That's why it's bad.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Well then Digirat has the right of it. If you aren't playing with any regard to style-points though, you're playing Kruber wrong to begin with. :colbert:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
"Kruber has earned his right to wear bombastic headgear through years of brutal marches, fierce battles and bloody campaigns."

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 13, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Is Krueber a grognard

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Trivia question: there's a conversation where Bardin says he would visit elf forest and Kerilian says he'd be welcome to come and Bardin is surprised ("Really? That's not what I've heard"). It always ends there and seems really awkward, begging a response from Kerilian. Is there a final line of dialogue I've never heard where she maybe talks about showing off the woods or just snarks him (I assume the latter)?

Kerillian and Bardin are clearly in love and only the oppressive restraint of their respective cultural norms prevents them from fully expressing their feelings for each other. In fact, I've prepared a short work of fiction that you may be interested ugh I can't finish.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You idiot clearly Kerrilian and Sienna are in love. They share secrets and get awkward around each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Kerillian is nice to Kruber, absolutely despises Saltzpyre, tolerates Bardin but is racist against Dwarfs I think and trusts Sienna.

• Locked thread