Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
You can also try some of the tricks described in here to delete trash. I personally have seen stuff here delete very, very fast on Linux servers compared to the traditional rm -r.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/37329/efficiently-delete-large-directory-containing-thousands-of-files

Not sure how it'll perform on OS X and HFS though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Krispy Kareem posted:

This is my platter drive in the MBP

Well, that'd be why things are taking so long. Millions of things to do on a disk that can do maybe 100 random IOs per second (IOPs) is a recipe for pain. Could even be the source of some of your Finder issues -- I think I've heard of it having a timeout error on empty-trash operations.

Krispy Kareem posted:

That would be quicker. This is my platter drive in the MBP so I could pull it out without reinstalling the OS.

I'd like to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling hardware in my laptop though. I'm not even sure I could reverse the files back out of the trash and onto the drive for me to format. I have no idea if MacOS would just poo poo the bed if I reformatted the disk while the trash bin still thought there were hundreds of thousands of files waiting to be deleted.

Reformatting writes a new file system to the disk without examining what was there before, so it doesn't give a poo poo what state you leave the previous file system in before starting the format. As for your other concerns, flosofl was suggesting that if you have a backup (you should have a backup, by the way), you could format the drive, install a new OS if it's your boot disk, and restore only the files you want to keep from your backup. None of that should require steps like pulling files out of the trash or hardware swaps.

crazysim posted:

You can also try some of the tricks described in here to delete trash. I personally have seen stuff here delete very, very fast on Linux servers compared to the traditional rm -r.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/37329/efficiently-delete-large-directory-containing-thousands-of-files

Not sure how it'll perform on OS X and HFS though.

Yeah, not clear if that will apply. I was curious as to why that would be faster and when I went digging it sounds like it's related to some Linux design choices, both the API used to read directory entries and extN filesystem design. Can't hurt to try though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm pulling the important stuff off the HDD and will nuke it and hope for the best. The disk probably had some errors on it that were exacerbated by the large number of files and I probably broke it further with my tinkering.

BobHoward posted:

Well, that'd be why things are taking so long. Millions of things to do on a disk that can do maybe 100 random IOs per second (IOPs) is a recipe for pain. Could even be the source of some of your Finder issues -- I think I've heard of it having a timeout error on empty-trash operations.

It's a secondary drive that I swapped out my optical with. I guess SSD's are becoming cheap enough that I could probably do a similar SSD for $300 or so but I'll probably upgrade before that'd be cost effective.

EDIT: aaaaand reformatting the drive cleared out the trash bin and everything is good again.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 3, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've got a few USB drives and need them to go between OSX & W10 and will frequently have large (8+gig) files temporarily and a bunch of small files more permanently, how should I format the drives?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I've got a few USB drives and need them to go between OSX & W10 and will frequently have large (8+gig) files temporarily and a bunch of small files more permanently, how should I format the drives?

ExFAT is your only choice isn't it?

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Yeah just use exFAT. The only drawback I've encountered is you need HFS for time machine backups.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

ExFAT is your only choice isn't it?

That's what I thought. OSX (10.12.2) flat-out refuses to format to ExFAT for some reason, though, so I figured I'd ask before formatting them on my W10 desktop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GobiasIndustries posted:

The most reliable is paying :20bux: for Paragon‘s software.

Other options are to use MacOS‘s built-in (and buggy) NTFS writing support. ExFAT works out of the box on both OSes, but it‘s of questionable reliability under the best of circumstances.

Finally, you could dual-partition the drive, write to the HFS+ side on MacOS and the NTFS side on Windows—read support for the other OS‘s file system is better than write support. This effectively halves the sidze of the drive and you have to take time to copy the file over to the writable side whenever you switch OS.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

The most reliable is paying :20bux: for Paragon‘s software.

Other options are to use MacOS‘s built-in (and buggy) NTFS writing support. ExFAT works out of the box on both OSes, but it‘s of questionable reliability under the best of circumstances.

Finally, you could dual-partition the drive, write to the HFS+ side on MacOS and the NTFS side on Windows—read support for the other OS‘s file system is better than write support. This effectively halves the sidze of the drive and you have to take time to copy the file over to the writable side whenever you switch OS.

This seems needlessly complicated & pricy. Formatting as ExFAT won't work at all on OSX for some reason but is not a problem at all on W10. I was worried that ExFAT was no longer supported or buggy or whatever, but if it can read/write on OSX I'm golden.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's not official, but it was mentioned on Apple's discussion boards that depending on the size of the media, OS X formats drives with an improper block (cluster) size for Windows, and if you format the drive on Windows first using a block size of no greater than 1024, then the exFAT volume will work on both platforms.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Formatted 3 drives on W10, ExFAT, not quick format, using default cluster size, and all three show up in Windows and OSX. Copying files between the two systems works. I have no clue why Disk Utility refused to work, and still refused to work on one of the drives after formatting, just to see what would happen :shrug:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I have no clue why Disk Utility refused to work, and still refused to work on one of the drives after formatting, just to see what would happen :shrug:

I'd put it down to Disk Utility being trash ever since they rewrote it a release or two ago. Bring back old DU, Apple.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Play a song in iTunes. Now, open App Store and go to the updates tab.

Does the music drop out for 30-45 seconds?

App Store.app is such a loving huge pile of poo poo.

This is a loving disgrace. The music playing on a Mac should never drop out. This is loving disgusting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

decypher posted:

Play a song in iTunes. Now, open App Store and go to the updates tab.

Does the music drop out for 30-45 seconds?

App Store.app is such a loving huge pile of poo poo.

This is a loving disgrace. The music playing on a Mac should never drop out. This is loving disgusting.

I can't reproduce this. Reboot?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

carry on then posted:

I can't reproduce this. Reboot?

Thanks for checking.

Problem persists after reboots.

I bet its because my iTunes library is on a USB drive. What a dickhead.

ITS STILL loving DISGUSTING.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, it's okay on my MBP. I even tried a song I knew was being streamed rather than something local. Very odd that it's not buffering enough for you :(

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doesn't happen here either, and my iTunes library is also on a USB drive and the machine is a 5 year old Air, so it's definitely not a performance thing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

USB is basically hosed on El Capitan, especially if you have multiple devices connected. Works for basic stuff though

Sierra, not so much as I've seen but just waiting for the first crop of 3.1 Gen 2 devices to make it to market..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 6, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just out of curiosity what's the default name of the hard drive on a brand new MacBook these days? Used to be "Macintosh HD" wondering if it's changed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just out of curiosity what's the default name of the hard drive on a brand new MacBook these days? Used to be "Macintosh HD" wondering if it's changed.

I'm pretty sure it still is.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm curious, I've never had any issues with the FaceTime camera until upgrading to Sierra. It repeatedly freezes or becomes black where I have to do "sudo killall VDCAssistant" to get the camera working again.

Is there any permanent fix for this that anyone knows or what causes it?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

carry on then posted:

It is.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

carry on then posted:

I can confirm.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Hasn't changed since 1985 when Apple began selling the "Hard Disk 20" (that's 20 megabytes) for $1495 USD.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So, it seems like in Sierra, they made it so clicking on an app icon at the center of a window grouping in Mission Control no longer brings all the windows for that app to the top. What the gently caress is that about? Is there a way to restore the old (right) behavior?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

So, it seems like in Sierra, they made it so clicking on an app icon at the center of a window grouping in Mission Control no longer brings all the windows for that app to the top. What the gently caress is that about? Is there a way to restore the old (right) behavior?

Just click the dock icon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

carry on then posted:

Just click the dock icon.

“You’re holding it wrong.”

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Caffeinate is great for starting a process and ensuring that the system won't go to sleep while it's running, but is there a way to always have this behavior, regardless of how the process was started? I want to be able to choose an application that can prevent the system from sleeping whenever it's running.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

door Door door posted:

Caffeinate is great for starting a process and ensuring that the system won't go to sleep while it's running, but is there a way to always have this behavior, regardless of how the process was started? I want to be able to choose an application that can prevent the system from sleeping whenever it's running.

Haven't tried it, but this might do: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wimoweh/id610341008?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"Hey Siri, open WhatsApp"
"You don't have an application called WhatsApp"

*press CMD-space, open WhatsApp*

You'd think they'd at least be able to get that right :rolleyes:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wish they would add HomeKit to OSX. It sure as poo poo would make a hell of a lot more sense to have my iMac as my HomeKit hub than my AppleTV.

eames
May 9, 2009

Chris Lattner (LLVM, Swift, Xcode) announced that he is going to leave Apple. :rip:

https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20170109/030063.html

update: :iceburn:

https://twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/818941362171158528

Tesla Motors posted:

We would like to welcome Chris Lattner, who will join Tesla as our Vice President of Autopilot Software. Chris’ reputation for engineering excellence is well known. He comes to Tesla after 11 years at Apple where he was primarily responsible for creating Swift, the programming language for building apps on Apple platforms and one of the fastest growing languages for doing so on Linux. Prior to Apple, Chris was lead author of the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure, an open source umbrella project that is widely used in commercial products and academic research today.

eames fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 10, 2017

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
e: wrong thread

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
:drat:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

door Door door posted:

An application is itself a process so you can try running caffeineate on the app's executable to launch it instead of doing so from the GUI. If you look inside an app bundle the executable to choose will usually be an obvious choice inside whatever.app/Contents/MacOS/.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BobHoward posted:

An application is itself a process so you can try running caffeineate on the app's executable to launch it instead of doing so from the GUI. If you look inside an app bundle the executable to choose will usually be an obvious choice inside whatever.app/Contents/MacOS/.

No, what he wants is like f.lux does with "Disable f.lux for {application}". He wants to "Disable sleep while {application} is running", which Caffeinate doesn't do IIRC but I did link a $0.99 app that does.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like the app amphetamine for this purpose

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Wimoweh looks like it should do it. Thanks guys.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
I got an iMac 27" late 2013 on 10.11.5 about a month ago. Everything has been peachy-keen. Today I was using it and about 1.5 hours in, at text fields / password fields it started pushing invisible characters (spaces?) into the form fields. When I rebooted I couldn't log in, because my password field was auto-typing spaces (or invisible characters). I reset the PRAM and SMC, it settled down for about 5 minutes after rebooting and logging in, and then it started all over again. I had updated Tidal, but nothing else. It may have taken a power hit when I was away.

Anybody seen this behavior? Anybody know of a fix?
PRAM reset numerous times, SMC reset numerous times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Boot from a clean disk.

If it still happens, it’s a hardware problem.