Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Well whatever you are trying to do, please take it elsewhere.

Hey, first time poster here. Here is a wall of text about some imported drama, is this what Negrotown is for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Fluffdaddy posted:

Hey, first time poster here. Here is a wall of text about some imported drama, is this what Negrotown is for?

Yeah, I am going to update the OP. [edit: apparently I can't do that lmao.]

That said, I'll be giving a warning to posters before I bring out the mod-guns.

but goddamn read the OP before you post people.

Ok so new rules:
If black posters tell you to get out, get out.
You get one warning then you're bounced.
Read the OP

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 11, 2017

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

FactsAreUseless posted:

People certainly think so, but here's a secret: it's not.

The heart and soul of SA: 40-year-olds in Kansas yelling slurs.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Heard negromancer got banned. Just here to pay my respects, he got away with the racial supremacist stuff for a long time. Hope he takes the advice in his ban reason. RIP.

I sincerely hope you keep your shitposting to GBS. tia

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Am... I the heart and soul of SA?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Am... I the heart and soul of SA?
Yes! Yes, you are.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Chocolate hands seems like one of those "incidentally racist" things I mentioned earlier.

The hands thing is about a legend involving a roman soldier and a giant involving the specific town that the hands are a "treat" in and are named for, a bit of folklore that very slightly predates Belgium's involvement in the congo.

Picking the pastry hands thing as a local treat came after the atrocities in the congo, certainly, but at worst it can only reasonably said to be obliviously inappropriate in light of Belgian colonialism because of the existing folklore and the fact that they didn't go out of their way to cement into the tradition of that local treat that they be little brown hands.

It's not like Leopold II said "The international community has told us to knock off cutting off people's hands, but it was good while it lasted so let's commemorate the good times with some tasty brown hands", a bunch of bakers/confectioners had a competition to select something to represent their town and the little pastry hands based on a toll-taking giant won, so to me it's a matter of elective offence at a reasonable variant of a treat based on a goofy fairytale, it's a fairly tasteless coincidence even if you're looking to be offended by something.

Koalas March posted:

That's a hosed up thing to do but it looks he (rightly) changed his position which is a good thing™. He said that in the past, but we know where stands now.

I can see this heading in a ugly derail, and I don't want to turn negrotown into a Lowtax call out thread.

Insincere use of racial slurs is a world away from what people were initially complaining to lowtax about, which iirc was that there were allegedly racist users who seemed desperate to get away with being racist.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

lohli posted:

Insincere use of racial slurs is a world away from what people were initially complaining to lowtax about, which iirc was that there were allegedly racist users who seemed desperate to get away with being racist.

This is absolutely a thing and I don't intend to let people get away with that in this thread, or anywhere in D&D.

If you see something report it, if it's incredibly egregious then pm me.

I do believe that this is worth talking about, but I just don't want to turn this thread into a call-out about the Lowtax or the forums in general. Those conversations always spiral out of control. Take that to QCS.

This thread is about black people. It's not a catch-all racism thread. If you have a question regarding racism, that's fine. But this thread is not about airing our grievances about the forums, whether they have merit or not.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

aherdofpenguins posted:

1. Sorry, I've literally never said or wanted to say that in the first place, I put myself in that example to make it easier to word. I guess I should've said some other white guy. I'd never want to say that.

2. I'm not asking if using the n-word will make anyone happy or not, I know it wouldn't. I was just asking if that and "cracker" fit the academic definition of racism.

Argh yeah, sorry to put it in such a weird scenario. I guess I dunno how to ask my question without sounding like an rear end.

Here's a tip I've learned - You're more likely to cross the line by trying to toe it than by backing away. You can be friends with people of other races and cultures without blending in. If you're trying to not do or say racist things, stick to the things you know don't hurt people, instead of trying to find new things that get closer to hurting people without crossing the line. In the example of "n-word vs cracker," one is more likely to offend than the other, but using neither eliminates the possibility entirely. And you don't have to understand why, because if your goal is not to treat people like poo poo, you already have all the tools you need. You don't need to learn when it's it's an ok opportunity to say a word if you can get by without it anyway.

Another way I've had it put is "all this stuff about it being their word is meaningless to me because it was never mine."

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Does everyone understand that aherdofpenguins wasn't actually asking if it was ok for him to use the n-word?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ok, I updated the post under the OP. It's basically the same rules, but just in case you need a refresher:

NEW RULES:
No saying "the blacks", "blacks" etc. it's dehumanizing. Say "Black people". We are people.

Don't come in here talking about how you don't believe in racism. this thread isn't for you.

If you start acting up, I'm gonna give you one warning. Ignore that and you get bounced.

If the black folks in this thread feel uncomfortable with your posting, or ask you to leave, loving leave. Respect our boundaries.
- You are welcome to come back hat in hand if you realize you were in the wrong. This happens a lot. People grow and we encourage that.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Patrick Spens posted:

Does everyone understand that aherdofpenguins wasn't actually asking if it was ok for him to use the n-word?

My understanding was he wasn't trying to ask if it's ok to use a specific word, I just used that as an example comparatively toeing the line. I'm just saying that you gotta know what your goal is. My goal is to get along, first, and to help people where I can, and part of that is making people aware that racism exists and is a problem, and that unless you're being hurt by it, you're benefiting from it, so the least you can do is try to help in return. I never got a response to "what should/can I do, actively, to help other than calling out racist bullshit when I see it?"

I'll follow up with this question, since I don't know the answer and I need to know this in order to fulfill goal one. When white people are talking about race issues, at what point is it offensive? How much can you analyze the situation before it becomes less about trying to find a solution and more like "Oh this race issue and an interesting thing to watch and learn about." I try to learn so I can treat the issue appropriately, but more importantly to be as effective as I can be in promoting equality. At some point this has got to become patronizing or something, like I'm co-opting a struggle for which I am offended by its existence, but I am not actually a participant.

So you tell me. What should I be doing?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

signalnoise posted:

My understanding was he wasn't trying to ask if it's ok to use a specific word, I just used that as an example comparatively toeing the line. I'm just saying that you gotta know what your goal is. My goal is to get along, first, and to help people where I can, and part of that is making people aware that racism exists and is a problem, and that unless you're being hurt by it, you're benefiting from it, so the least you can do is try to help in return. I never got a response to "what should/can I do, actively, to help other than calling out racist bullshit when I see it?"

I'll follow up with this question, since I don't know the answer and I need to know this in order to fulfill goal one. When white people are talking about race issues, at what point is it offensive? How much can you analyze the situation before it becomes less about trying to find a solution and more like "Oh this race issue and an interesting thing to watch and learn about." I try to learn so I can treat the issue appropriately, but more importantly to be as effective as I can be in promoting equality. At some point this has got to become patronizing or something, like I'm co-opting a struggle for which I am offended by its existence, but I am not actually a participant.

So you tell me. What should I be doing?

We have done this before. Aside from calling out racists, to be a good ally you need to listen to us. Respect what we have to say, even if you don't agree with it. Don't make it about you and your struggles as an ally. Unless you're gonna get involved in your local politics, start protesting or go full John brown, the best you can do is this:

1. Call out racism where ever you see it. Friends, Family, co-workers, etc.
2. Listen to black/poc voices. Respect what they have to say. Think about it. Analyze it. Put yourself in our shoes.
3. Don't make it about you, your feelings or your struggle.

I swear to god, just doing these things while you're out just living your life makes you a decent person and ally.

I'm starting to think we should add some "how to be an ally" guidelines to the Op so people can stop asking, but I'm positive no one would read it.

Can we go back to talking about black folks now? yeah? cool.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

lohli posted:

I think there are similar Scandinavian customs where they have silly dances and black up, they've also been accused of minstrelsy over the years

I'm from Sweden and I can't remind myself of any customs here involving blackface, so thankfully the ones you're thinking of are probably not very popular. Trying to find what you're referring to brought to mind a few other Swedish instances of anti-blackness, though, that I thought I'd share since people in other parts of the world might not hear about them otherwise.

The first thing that came to mind was a controversy that racists lied up a few years ago concerning a well-known Swedish Christmas song about gingerbread men. They claimed - no doubt trying to stir up more support of deporting all immigrants - that because the song mentions that gingerbread men are brown, the African-Swedish National Association had gotten it banned, or something. In reality, this never happened. I'd post a link to more information about this, but AFAIK it was mostly word of mouth.

On a similar theme, and possibly explaining the origin of the aforementioned urban legend: People are really upset that they get told off for calling the popular chokladboll pastry the Swedish equivalent of the n-word. Racists have been whining casually about this for decades, including a local representative for the Sweden Democrats claiming that the n-word conventionally denotes "a colour".

The 1953 film Resan till dej featured Swedish jazz singer Alice Babs (later awarded the title of Royal Court Singer) in blackface, singing about how she wishes she were white. White Swedes still tend to be pretty clueless about race, but back then the country was clueless as all hell - probably due in part to being much less diverse - and even then the critics had the sense to pan that part.

There was also an incident - Tårtgate - where our then-Minister of Culture, Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth of the main right-wing liberal party, was caught on video laughing as she cut into the genital area of a cake shaped like a racist caricature of a black woman. The cake was a piece on female genital mutilation by African-Swedish artist Makode Linde, who had put on blackface and positioned himself to feature as the "head" of the cake. The African-Swedish National Association criticised Linde and called for the resignation of Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth. It feels silly to even bother pointing out that she retained her ministerial post.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

I'm from Sweden and I can't remind myself of any customs here involving blackface, so thankfully the ones you're thinking of are probably not very popular. Trying to find what you're referring to brought to mind a few other Swedish instances of anti-blackness, though, that I thought I'd share since people in other parts of the world might not hear about them otherwise.

The first thing that came to mind was a controversy that racists lied up a few years ago concerning a well-known Swedish Christmas song about gingerbread men. They claimed - no doubt trying to stir up more support of deporting all immigrants - that because the song mentions that gingerbread men are brown, the African-Swedish National Association had gotten it banned, or something. In reality, this never happened. I'd post a link to more information about this, but AFAIK it was mostly word of mouth.

On a similar theme, and possibly explaining the origin of the aforementioned urban legend: People are really upset that they get told off for calling the popular chokladboll pastry the Swedish equivalent of the n-word. Racists have been whining casually about this for decades, including a local representative for the Sweden Democrats claiming that the n-word conventionally denotes "a colour".

The 1953 film Resan till dej featured Swedish jazz singer Alice Babs (later awarded the title of Royal Court Singer) in blackface, singing about how she wishes she were white. White Swedes still tend to be pretty clueless about race, but back then the country was clueless as all hell - probably due in part to being much less diverse - and even then the critics had the sense to pan that part.

There was also an incident - Tårtgate - where our then-Minister of Culture, Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth of the main right-wing liberal party, was caught on video laughing as she cut into the genital area of a cake shaped like a racist caricature of a black woman. The cake was a piece on female genital mutilation by African-Swedish artist Makode Linde, who had put on blackface and positioned himself to feature as the "head" of the cake. The African-Swedish National Association criticised Linde and called for the resignation of Lena Adelsohn Liljeroth. It feels silly to even bother pointing out that she retained her ministerial post.

Tjena! Hella informative post and another Swedish goon! Can 100% verify the weird cluelessness about race among white Swedes! Can we talk about raggare, or "please, PLEASE open up a history book or google that flag"?

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
*deleted due to new thread direction*

I cried when Tracee picked up the award for Black-ish.

wyldhoney fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 11, 2017

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I feel like a decent culture could just take their black face elements to their dances or whatever and change it to a another color. Problem solved.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

teen witch posted:

Tjena! Hella informative post and another Swedish goon! Can 100% verify the weird cluelessness about race among white Swedes! Can we talk about raggare, or "please, PLEASE open up a history book or google that flag"?

Thanks! Ugh, I live in a municipality adjacent to Gothenburg, and the next municipality out is full of raggare. I feel like knowledge of history might change the minds of maybe half of them, and the other half just wouldn't care. As a teenager I got roughed up a few times by a semi-raggare who was also a neo-nazi, and there were a lot of Confederate flags on the cars in that guy's gang. What's the situation like where you live?

When I was a child I had a completely different idea of raggare. I imagined them as slightly less disgusting - more like American greasers - and thought their cars were cool. I told my mother that when I grew up I wanted to be either a priest or a raggare. Full disclosure: I'm white.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Panfilo posted:

I feel like a decent culture could just take their black face elements to their dances or whatever and change it to a another color. Problem solved.

I don't think yellow/brown/red face would be any better.

Blue face would be pretty hilarious, though it should be through the ingestion of colloidal silver if you're gona go that route.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gringostar posted:

Blue face would be pretty hilarious, though it should be through the ingestion of colloidal silver if you're gona go that route.

Blue Face is probably copyrighted or trademarked through the Blue Man Group.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

and there were a lot of Confederate flags on the cars in that guy's gang.

Wait, people in Sweden have American Confederate flags? Where did they even get them? Who the hell exports confederate flags?

It's already loving puzzling enough that so many people in Michigan have them. We were in the Union, idiots. I guess terrible people everywhere like to fly their terribleness.

Gringostar posted:

Do Green, Purple and Magenta-face.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks! Ugh, I live in a municipality adjacent to Gothenburg, and the next municipality out is full of raggare. I feel like knowledge of history might change the minds of maybe half of them, and the other half just wouldn't care. As a teenager I got roughed up a few times by a semi-raggare who was also a neo-nazi, and there were a lot of Confederate flags on the cars in that guy's gang. What's the situation like where you live?

When I was a child I had a completely different idea of raggare. I imagined them as slightly less disgusting - more like American greasers - and thought their cars were cool. I told my mother that when I grew up I wanted to be either a priest or a raggare. Full disclosure: I'm white.

I live in Eskilstuna, and there's a raggare in the next apt block over from us, and I've been tempted to slip a note under their car explaining how wildly offensive a gigantic stars and bars flag is in an immigrant heavy neighborhood, but I doubt it will make any difference.

However, I visited in 2014 before I moved here in 2016, and the one thing I did notice was considerably less Confederate flags as a symbol of rebellion. Yet to be honest I feel what happened in Charleston sort of cemented the thought of "THIS IS A FLAG FOR HORRIBLE PEOPLE, STOP." It's the event that finally got it through my partner's white Swede head. :negative:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

OgreNoah posted:

Wait, people in Sweden have American Confederate flags? Where did they even get them? Who the hell exports confederate flags?

Meet Raggare!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

OgreNoah posted:

It's already loving puzzling enough that so many people in Michigan have them. We were in the Union, idiots. I guess terrible people everywhere like to fly their terribleness.

Do Green, Purple and Magenta-face.

Michigan used to have a big Klan presence, and some have lingered. Howell, for example, was a sundown town and is still racist AF to this day. A friend of mine got attacked there actually.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Koalas March posted:

Michigan used to have a big Klan presence, and some have lingered. Howell, for example, was a sundown town and is still racist AF to this day. A friend of mine got attacked there actually.
Rural Michigan is really bad, and I say this coming from Idaho. It's honestly way worse than most of the Midwest and even parts of the South. I have no idea why.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
Mandatory video on the subject of Swedish chocolate balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thEW20bC8d4

Please don't read the comments.

If anything it runs home to point to the age 20-30 something's claiming that it used to be okay to call them "Negro balls". It was never okay and always a "Look what I can get away with saying" thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I should probably clarify a little more about Morris dancing. While (as my earlier post said) it's probably derived from 'moresca', the school of fifteenth-century European dances inspired by North African culture, it's not a continuous tradition. The original Morris dances were popular for a couple of centuries, and then slowly died out, before the whole tradition was resurrected from history books (and the occasional stubborn, isolated holdout in remote villages) around the start of the twentieth century. In other words, Morris dancing as it now exists is a modern creation based on a centuries-old tradition.

'Border Morris', the version that's most (in)famous for the blackface and African-inspired clothing, is a particularly extreme example - it's simultaneously the oldest and youngest of the major styles. Modern Border Morris was actually created in the 1960s, as an effort to go back to the roots of what had been recreated as a very formalised, gentrified version of the original folk dance - in addition to bringing back the Moorish elements, the rules were much more permissive and it cultivated a much more down-to-earth, accessible image.

That affects the context a hell of a lot. At its inception, Morris dancing wasn't thaaat terrible in racism terms. In the fifteenth North African countries were equal and sometimes superior to European countries in terms of power and cultural influence (the Reconquista, the centuries-long campaign to boot the Moorish colonists out of Spain, ended in 1492) - it was more a case of paying deference to/engaging in light mockery of the cool kids on the block. Kind of like a bunch of Chinese folks dressing up like cowboys and putting on whiteface makeup to dance to a Chinese band's cover of a Taylor Swift album. Slightly odd, but with nothing remotely approaching the hideous, oppressive weight of an American minstrel show. Bringing it back in the racially-fraught 1960s, though, when Britain was still carrying the weight of its recently-dissolved empire? Yeah, that ain't going to fly, no matter how much you only intend to rock like it's 1499. There are some forms of art that just do not make that cultural transfer.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Rural Michigan is really bad, and I say this coming from Idaho. It's honestly way worse than most of the Midwest and even parts of the South. I have no idea why.

Upper Midwest had some of the worst Sundown Towns.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

If you got to paint your face. Go with multi colored designs. Way more fun to look at and few people care if you are wearing tigerface or some abstract design.

Fake edit: No goddamnit, calling it Pantherface is not an acceptable workaround.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

remusclaw posted:

No goddamnit, calling it Pantherface is not an acceptable workaround.

New thread title.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

teen witch posted:

I live in Eskilstuna, and there's a raggare in the next apt block over from us, and I've been tempted to slip a note under their car explaining how wildly offensive a gigantic stars and bars flag is in an immigrant heavy neighborhood, but I doubt it will make any difference.

However, I visited in 2014 before I moved here in 2016, and the one thing I did notice was considerably less Confederate flags as a symbol of rebellion. Yet to be honest I feel what happened in Charleston sort of cemented the thought of "THIS IS A FLAG FOR HORRIBLE PEOPLE, STOP." It's the event that finally got it through my partner's white Swede head. :negative:

Eskilstuna is a weird place to find a raggare, I think of them as very rural. Beautiful town, by the way.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Fauxnecks are international now. Awesome.

We had a group of them at my high school and they were all rust-belt transplants. Maybe one guy was actually from Georgia, but I think he just hung out with them sometimes and sold them weed.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your daily funny tweet:

https://twitter.com/memesuppliers/status/818975353611976705

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

highme posted:

Upper Midwest had some of the worst Sundown Towns.

Sundown Towns were still a thing at least 10 years ago. I remember my football teams bus had to be escorted to the football stadium by police in Glen Rose. I remember our coaches specifically telling us not to react to the crowd or the players on the field dropping n-bombs all game because we would end up getting suspended for a game while it wouldn't affect them. The few white players on our team seemed to get it much worse than anyone else did as they were called n* lovers all game.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Can negromancer still read the forums here?

I just wanna leave this message for him: Look at Cory Booker during the Rex Tillerson hearing. I TOLD YOU.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mixodorian posted:

Can negromancer still read the forums here?

I just wanna leave this message for him: Look at Cory Booker during the Rex Tillerson hearing. I TOLD YOU.

I am just now realizing I missed the hearing. How did that turn out? Can I watch it anywhere?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If Ted Danson and his amazing hair couldn't wear black face neither can you.

I'm a saltine.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
He said that he has worked with Sessions and has respect for Sessions he does not think, based on Sessions record, that Sessions will deliver equal justice for all citizens.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nevvy Z posted:

He said that he has worked with Sessions and has respect for Sessions he does not think, based on Sessions record, that Sessions will deliver equal justice for all citizens.

That seems pretty reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I'm a saltine.

My Crackersona is Stoned Wheat Thins.

• Locked thread