Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also if it hasn't been posted yet, The Cubs are visiting the White House next Monday. I am very, very glad they're going to squeak in just in time to get honored by Obama. Not sure what I would have done if they'd visited a Trump White House. Cry, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I guess the Rays signed Colby for some reason

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
They're apparently trying to compete this year from what I hear? I'm sure he's the key piece to complete their team. :v:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Rasmus seems like exactly the type of player the Rays should go after, tbh. Flawed player with upside (20 HR power from a CF is pretty decent) on a short-term deal. Can flip him at the deadline if he bounces back. His whiff rate was up last year, but it's always been high, and he swung and missed about as much in 2015, when he was pretty good at the plate.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/819265461221294080

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rasmus seems like exactly the type of player the Rays should go after, tbh. Flawed player with upside (20 HR power from a CF is pretty decent) on a short-term deal. Can flip him at the deadline if he bounces back. His whiff rate was up last year, but it's always been high, and he swung and missed about as much in 2015, when he was pretty good at the plate.

Also last year Rasmus got off to a scorching start and then had some kind of inner ear thing that gave him vertigo and required surgery, pretty much derailing his season

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Getting rid of Mallex Smith is an odd move for the Braves if they think they're contending in the next couple of years. Especially for a pair of guys who are still several years away from the majors.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

I don't get this trade. Mallex Smith looks like more of the same kind of outfielder we've been acquiring, and Shae Simmons, while looks to be like a good RP given his minors numbers and a decent cup of coffee showing, doesn't exactly solve our problem of having a low floor with starting pitching.

edit: I hate prospect hugging, but losing Gohara hurts, cause he was seriously looking to be a dang good SP candidate. TINSTAAP I guess.

2nd edit:

https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/819271032704028678

Mallex is probably not even going to catch a flight to Seattle at this point!

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 11, 2017

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Funny how the Giants system has been low rated since Posey/Belt/Bum/Wheeler (lol) graduated, but on Opening Day, the Rays' SS, Phillies' 1B and Reds' LF will all be former Giants prospects.

Tommy Joseph hit 20 dingers in like a half season for the Phils, JFC. Although that translates to like 8-10 dingers in AT&T. But still.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Funny how the Giants system has been low rated since Posey/Belt/Bum/Wheeler (lol) graduated, but on Opening Day, the Rays' SS, Phillies' 1B and Reds' LF will all be former Giants prospects.

Tommy Joseph hit 20 dingers in like a half season for the Phils, JFC. Although that translates to like 8-10 dingers in AT&T. But still.

Not sure you should be using any of those teams as examples of successful major league rosters in 2017

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Twins are dumb for not taking what the Dodgers were willing to offer for Dozier, which reports indicate was something like JDL + Stewart + Calhoun. Dozier's trade value will likely never be higher than it is right now, and there aren't any other contenders in need of a 2B and willing to give up prospects better than JDL to get it.

They are going to end up trading him next winter or at one of the next two trade deadlines for a clearly inferior package.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Dipoto gonna Dipot. The guy sure seems to like trading. Maybe he's as bored as his fans are?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I liked Mallex but those guys coming back do sounds promising.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Those 3 teams have one big thing in common!!!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

@RaysBaseball: #Rays have acquired OF Mallex Smith, minor league SS Carlos Vargas & minor league LHP Ryan Yarbrough from SEA in exchange for LHP Drew Smyly

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Those 3 teams have one big thing in common!!!

They all got swindled by Brian Sabean? Agreed, OP.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

@RaysBaseball: #Rays have acquired OF Mallex Smith, minor league SS Carlos Vargas & minor league LHP Ryan Yarbrough from SEA in exchange for LHP Drew Smyly

Well I guess there was a point to all of DiPoto's nervous activity after all. Smyly is a nice get, definite upgrade over Karns for the #3 spot. I'll have to look into the prospects, although I don't think it's a good idea to get too attached to them in this regime.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

They all got swindled by Brian Sabean? Agreed, OP.

I don't think 6 years' control of Adam Duvall in exchange for 55 IP of Mike Leake really counts as a swindle by Sabean.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't think 6 years' control of Adam Duvall in exchange for 55 IP of Mike Leake really counts as a swindle by Sabean.
no no, Matt Moore for Matt Duffy and friends was a total steal!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is the consensus on Smyly that he's a good K/BB dude, but tends to give a few too many dingers? Pitching in Safeco should help with that.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Is the consensus on Smyly that he's a good K/BB dude, but tends to give a few too many dingers? Pitching in Safeco should help with that.

Think that's about right. Somebody mentioned that he's sort of Jason Vargas with a higher SO %. The Safe is less of a flyball pitcher park than it used to be, but presumably he'll benefit from no longer pitching in the AL East. Consistent 2-ish WAR pitcher.

And I guess I misspoke, he currently slots in as the #4 starter. If Felix can get back on his horse a bit (dubious?) the M's may have a nice rotation on their hands.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

poo poo that's a good pickup, you'd think that if Smith + prospects was enough to land Smyly, the Braves would have just cut out Seattle entirely and gotten Smyly themselves.

Cubs news for the day: Schwarber has been medically cleared (and wants) to catch. We'll uh, see how that goes. :v:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 11, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sydin posted:

poo poo that's a good pickup, you'd think that if Smith + prospects was enough to land Smyly, the Braves would have just cut out Seattle entirely and gotten Smyly themselves.

Given that they just traded away two players knocking on the door for more long term talent, Smyly doesn't exactly fit in their current timeframe.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I don't know where Mallex was gonna fit in for the Braves; Ender Inciarte has center locked up for years and Mallex doesn't hit enough to play everyday at a corner. Hope he gets his shot somewhere else cause he's fun to watch.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

Cubs news for the day: Schwarber has been medically cleared (and wants) to catch. We'll uh, see how that goes. :v:

Contreras 2 days, Montero 2 days and Schwarber 1 day behind the plate every time through the rotation sounds fine to me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jerry Dipoto said he's pretty much done with roster construction and will pretty much only be offering minor league deals to bolster AAA depth. So the Mariners look like this:

SP: Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Smyly, Gallardo, and Miranda is the spot starter
RPs: Diaz, Cishek, Simmons, Scrabble + others

C: Zunino and Ruiz
1B: Vogelbach and Valencia
2B: Cano
SS: Segura
3B: Seager
OF: Haniger, Martin, Dyson, Gamel/Heredia
DH: Cruz

If Felix is back to form, I *think* the rotation is okay, and so far the defense looks really good. If Cano, Seager and Cruz continue to produce, I think this team has enough talent to possibly win the west, or at the very least, get a WC spot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

Contreras 2 days, Montero 2 days and Schwarber 1 day behind the plate every time through the rotation sounds fine to me.

I'd go 3/1/1 tbh.

Lester gets Contreras (arm speed and pickoff maneuver)
Arrieta gets Montero (best game caller, work on Jake's walks)
Hendricks gets Contreras (already have a good rapport)
Lackey gets Schwarber (easiest pitcher to catch, need run support in Lackey starts because he is bad)
Montgomery gets Contreras (develop rapport between two guys likely to be on the roster for many years)

the only real issue is Schwarber would need more rest as a result and if he's lining up to be your leadoff guy that could be trouble, but these are problems to solve in spring training anyway

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm just not sure what the advantage is to even getting Schwarber behind the plate. Both he and Montero are big fat guys with subpar defense and noodle arms, but Montero at least has fantastic game calling & framing to fall back on. It made sense last year when it would have gotten Soler more starting time in the OF, but who would take advantage now? I guess you move Bryant/Zobrist into LF so Baez gets starts? Baez was getting plenty of starting time even without that, though.

I'd rather Contreras get as much time as possible behind the plate to develop his game calling/framing before Montero leaves than have him split it with Schwarbs.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Wow, 6 years of Brian LaHair 2.0? Wish my team had a quad-A dude locked up through his 35th birthday.

I gotta admit though, it's extremely irritating that Adam Duvall is a good outfielder (according to the metrics at least). The Giants refused to even try him there in the minors. Strictly a 1B/DH, they said. Good for him though, glad he's getting a shot.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Santiago Casilla :woop:

The Life of an A's Fan

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

seiferguy posted:

I don't get this trade. Mallex Smith looks like more of the same kind of outfielder we've been acquiring, and Shae Simmons, while looks to be like a good RP given his minors numbers and a decent cup of coffee showing, doesn't exactly solve our problem of having a low floor with starting pitching.

edit: I hate prospect hugging, but losing Gohara hurts, cause he was seriously looking to be a dang good SP candidate. TINSTAAP I guess.

Simmons' arm is going to fall off.

He's really good when he's healthy.

He's just never healthy.

I'm gonna miss Mallex, though.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Talking about Manny and then seeing that YouTube video of those fights, it always made me laugh whenever Manny would get hit, act tough and point at the mound, and then wait for the catcher and umpire to hold him back. THEN he would act like he was going to go crazy. SOOOO tough.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Pussy Boss posted:

Wow, 6 years of Brian LaHair 2.0? Wish my team had a quad-A dude locked up through his 35th birthday.

I gotta admit though, it's extremely irritating that Adam Duvall is a good outfielder (according to the metrics at least). The Giants refused to even try him there in the minors. Strictly a 1B/DH, they said. Good for him though, glad he's getting a shot.

In what world was Bryan Lahair a likely .800 OPS ofer without the aid of some crazy BABIP help?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My son's all grown up.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Sydin posted:

I'm just not sure what the advantage is to even getting Schwarber behind the plate. Both he and Montero are big fat guys with subpar defense and noodle arms, but Montero at least has fantastic game calling & framing to fall back on. It made sense last year when it would have gotten Soler more starting time in the OF, but who would take advantage now? I guess you move Bryant/Zobrist into LF so Baez gets starts? Baez was getting plenty of starting time even without that, though.

I'd rather Contreras get as much time as possible behind the plate to develop his game calling/framing before Montero leaves than have him split it with Schwarbs.

Montero is gone next year and any day Schwarber is catching is another day you get both Kyle and Contreras batting without putting undue stress on your clear catcher of the future's body. Unless the plan is to try and sign Lucroy in the 2017 offseason you're going to have to carry 3 catchers on this team and you may as well let Schwarber catch 30 or 40 games and see if he can develop.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm not saying he's great, but I'd take ~2 WAR a season for 6 seasons over 50 mediocre innings in a heartbeat.

e: Duvall was worth 3.2 WAR in 2016. LaHair was below replacement level for his career so that's not even close to a good comparison.

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 12, 2017

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Supposedly the Reds are looking at Tim Lincecum.

He will give up ALL the dingers, dongers and taters in GABP.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Senf posted:

Santiago Casilla :woop:

The Life of an A's Fan

Watch him notch like 30 loving saves and net the A's all the prospects at the deadline, while a single tear runs slowly down Bruce Bochy's cheek.

CubsWoo posted:

Montero is gone next year and any day Schwarber is catching is another day you get both Kyle and Contreras batting without putting undue stress on your clear catcher of the future's body. Unless the plan is to try and sign Lucroy in the 2017 offseason you're going to have to carry 3 catchers on this team and you may as well let Schwarber catch 30 or 40 games and see if he can develop.

I guess I just don't see Schwarber's future being as a catcher at this point, particularly since he can't really afford to miss another significant chunk of development time and catcher is a very injury prone position, even ignoring his knee. Maybe I'm wrong and the Cubs will roll into 2018 with a Contreras/Schwarber power hitting duo behind the plate, but it feels like it isn't a risk the FO wants to take.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

I think having 3 guys who can catch is really beneficial in the NL. I don't know if Schwarber needs 30-40 games but I do think giving him some reps so he can be an emergency option late in the game is helpful. I don't think Schwarber will ever be a #2 catcher in the majors barring injuries making it a necessity. But him being able to catch from time to time when the situation calls for it is a huge advantage for a manager who likes flexibility.

I don't think they'll go after a catcher next offseason. They picked up a switch-hitting catcher (who also plays 1B and 3B) in the Rule 5 draft last year who looks to be slated as a backup to Contreras in a year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

bawfuls posted:

no no, Matt Moore for Matt Duffy and friends was a total steal!

This actually wasn't bad considering it looks like Duffy's ankle issues could make him a first season mirage. I'm rooting for him, though!

I'm not particularly upset at the team's trades compared to the team's signings, but on the trade level Duvall is the only really annoying thing and he wasn't going to get any playing time anyway because Pagan occupies a place of honor in Bochy's veteran fetish.

• Locked thread