Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Big fan of Pudgy Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Choco1980 posted:

For the record, "Grass Mud Horse" is a meme symbolizing protest against Government censorship of internet. It's characters closely resemble the Chinese characters for "gently caress your mother".

Not the characters but the sounds. Mandarin Chinese is a tonal language and there are a lot of homophones so the words for grass mud horse, or just alpaca (cao3 ni2 ma3) are near-homophones for gently caress yo' momma (cao4 ni3 ma1).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Superman of the new Earth died. The old Superman pre-Rebirth is around and took over as Superman. There are implications that new Superman may never have been Superman at all. (A lot of people theorize he might have been Kon-El but there's nothing backing that up.)

He's going to be revived in a couple of months so we'll probably get the answer when he fights The Comedian or whatever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kinda looks like Beta Ray Bill in that crop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ASM: Renew Your Vows continues to be the best thing ever (along with Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Spider-Man & Deadpool).

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

ImpAtom posted:

[...] He's going to be revived in a couple of months so we'll probably get the answer when he fights The Comedian or whatever.

purple death ray posted:

[...] Yeah especially considering Rebirth claiming that the New 52 is the same universe as the old DCU, just with a decade of growth and relationships sucked out of it by the Big Mean Alan Moore Characters, there being two Clark Kents and two Lois Lanes running around is the biggest hole in that theory.

wait what?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Big fan of Pudgy Batman.

FATMAN

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

kujeger posted:

wait what?

Man, someone's been under a rock. Dr. Manhattan used Flashpoint as a cover for his science experiment where he tried to mold the DC Universe into something different. Basically reverting characters and taking away the things that bonded them. Making them colder and less optimistic. Rebirth is about all that coming undone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

kujeger posted:

wait what?

Dc really wants to tie watchmen into every single thing.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

And a mysterious figure heavily rumored to be Ozymandias has been teleporting characters into a secret prison because they're risking unraveling the entire thing. The entire Batfamily thinks Tim Drake is dead right now because he's in some extra-dimensional jail cell. I think he took Doomsday too? I stopped reading Action Comics pretty much instantly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New Super Man is one of the unsung gems of the Rebirth line. It's friggin fantastic and you should all be ashamed that you're not reading it.

Unless you are reading it. Then you should just feel less bad.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

X-O posted:

Man, someone's been under a rock. Dr. Manhattan used Flashpoint as a cover for his science experiment where he tried to mold the DC Universe into something different. Basically reverting characters and taking away the things that bonded them. Making them colder and less optimistic. Rebirth is about all that coming undone.

purple death ray posted:

And a mysterious figure heavily rumored to be Ozymandias has been teleporting characters into a secret prison because they're risking unraveling the entire thing. The entire Batfamily thinks Tim Drake is dead right now because he's in some extra-dimensional jail cell. I think he took Doomsday too? I stopped reading Action Comics pretty much instantly.

:psyduck:

okay, I haven't really been following what's happening at DC (or Marvel for that matter) except for maybe a storyline here and there that seemed nice, and being sort of aware there have been more "reboots", but uh wow.

I'll, uh, just go re-read watchmen or something.

edit: and maybe new super man

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's really been in like, three issues out of the entire line of Rebirth books, which are almost uniformly great comics, so while it is dumb as poo poo it's been pretty easy to ignore.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's been really heavily relegated to being in the background so far, and will probably remain that way until they wrap it up.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

purple death ray posted:

Wait, that's where Tim is? I've only been reading some of the Batman books, but I was aware of the Dr. Manhattan thing. If this is building to a big Crisis of Infinite Watchmen event, DC's gonna squander a lot of that good will Rebirth bought them. At least I hope so. Both companies need to be taught a lesson about events with line-wide tie ins.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Onmi posted:

they think it's kinda fishy.

Batman and Wonder Woman of China at the Academy of the Bat.

Hello.

I am deeply interested in this portrayal of the worlds greatest detective.

What is the source? Is it collected in a paper tradeback yet?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think for me DC's already squandered a lot of the goodwill they earned back with Rebirth. Batman has been terribly disappointing, as has the modern half of Wonder Woman. And they're already bringing back N52 Superman which is stupid as hell since the current Superman is the best thing they're doing right now. And the double shipping is starting to be a pain because 90% of the books are just moving super slow and not taking advantage of having two books a month.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

New Superman died. Old Superman is still around.

ImpAtom posted:

Superman of the new Earth died. The old Superman pre-Rebirth is around and took over as Superman. There are implications that new Superman may never have been Superman at all. (A lot of people theorize he might have been Kon-El but there's nothing backing that up.)

He's going to be revived in a couple of months so we'll probably get the answer when he fights The Comedian or whatever.

I can see I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of this panel in the foreseeable future.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I have to say that as a relative outsider, the 'Dr Manhattan did it' twist to Rebirth is actually really intruiging to me, largely because committing to it in the first place was probably the hardest part to sell. I hear that twist and go 'well this should be interesting', as opposed to how most comic book twists go.

Like, comparing to the 'Steve Rogers is Hydra' twist from around the same time. That's gonna be walked back/fixed/retconned at some point because it always is, that's just how comics work. But they can't back away from something like a Watchmen crossover, they're going to have to loving commit.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A comprehensive DC guide to walking back a Watchmen crossover:

1. Barry Allen fucks up the universe by running too fast.
2. ???
3. Profit

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

A comprehensive DC guide

1. Barry Allen fucks up

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Isn't the "remaking the universe to be BETTER the same secret plot line they used back in Infinite Crisis?

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Nilbop posted:

Isn't the "remaking the universe to be BETTER the same secret plot line they used back in Infinite Crisis?

In this case, Manhattan's not "remaking the universe to be better" as much as he's "loving around with an existing universe for science*"

*boredom

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I have to say, as stupid as I think the general idea of the Watchmen stuff is, I love the idea of a nigh-omnipotent being recreating the universe to make it less optimistic and hopeful.... and the original Superman survives intact anyway :3:

"I found a better story; one created to be unstoppable, indestructible! The story of a child rocketed to Earth from a doomed planet..."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also seriously anyone here who's been burned by Marvel, give Rebirth a chance because it's got legitimately good comics.

From Titans. I don't know about everyone else but I love when Superhero's have to sort out the logistics of being Superheroes with normal people

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like it's only a matter of time for anybody burnt out on Marvel before they feel the same way about DC.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Wait, that's where Tim is? I've only been reading some of the Batman books, but I was aware of the Dr. Manhattan thing. If this is building to a big Crisis of Infinite Watchmen event, DC's gonna squander a lot of that good will Rebirth bought them. At least I hope so. Both companies need to be taught a lesson about events with line-wide tie ins.

Yep. And Adrian Veidt, self-proclaimed smartest man on Earth, the guy who enacted his master plan 35 mintues before the heroes even arrived to stop him... left Tim with his entire utility belt inside the sci-fi prison cell.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
The Watchmen stuff is definitely dumb as hell but it's really funny to imagine just how loving angry Alan Moore must be about it all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I think for me DC's already squandered a lot of the goodwill they earned back with Rebirth. Batman has been terribly disappointing, as has the modern half of Wonder Woman. And they're already bringing back N52 Superman which is stupid as hell since the current Superman is the best thing they're doing right now. And the double shipping is starting to be a pain because 90% of the books are just moving super slow and not taking advantage of having two books a month.

Nothing in the solicits has shown that they are actually resurrecting the N52 Superman. Just because he's on a cover doesn't mean he's coming back.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Perfect

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

dordreff posted:

The Watchmen stuff is definitely dumb as hell but it's really funny to imagine just how loving angry Alan Moore must be about it all.

I like to think Moore's hate is the engine that keeps DC running :allears:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Onmi posted:

Perfect

Is this real?!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Justice League/Power Rangers #1

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I like to think Moore's hate is the engine that keeps DC running :allears:

the sun in the DCU is actually powered by Alan Moore being forced to read through Before Watchmen constantly

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
So Superman's a battery filled with righteous fury?

gus rules ok
Aug 2, 2016

dordreff posted:

I don't know, I'm sure there's some comfort for him in DC proving him right time and time again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, people are always like "How DARE Alan Moore say that modern comics are creatively bankrupt and just recycle the past and have nothing new to offer" and then DC puts out something like Before Watchmen.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then blame all the bad things that happened on one of his most famous characters

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

So Superman's a battery filled with righteous fury?

One which will never go out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Then blame all the bad things that happened on one of his most famous characters

Maybe it's an attempt to cast shade on Zach Snyder, and make his grim-shitted take on the characters an Aspect of Cosmic Evil the universe's heroes must fight against?

I'm grasping at straws here.