Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Verranicus posted:

The Roadhog hook nerf was needed. Sorry you won't get undeserved kills anymore.

Lol the hook pulling people around stuff always hosed up the landing spot so people wouldn't get kills anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
mm yes the now horribly out of position guy that got hooked will surely escape unscathed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

dogstile posted:

Start damage boosting your roadhog when he gets a hook and you'll find she compliments the team very well.

Not half as well as a Reaper or McCree standing next to the Roadhog and shooting whoever he hooked! Having two players doing 100% damage is better than having one player do 130% damage while the other player sits around doing 0% damage.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apparently PTR Roadhog can one-shot Zarya and the beanpoles more reliably now if he lands the hook. So if the hook no longer breaks all the time maybe he's still good?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
As long as the hook is even remotely functional roadhog will be good.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Sade posted:

As long as the hook is even remotely functional roadhog will be good.

Turns out a hero that instantly deletes a player on the enemy team every 8 seconds with no regard for aim or team support is good even if has a 10% failure rate.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If I don't have to play the guessing game for where my opponent ends up after a hook, I'm good.

The feelbads you get when you hook that support and are about to change the tides of battle, only for the support to go over your head and boop you off a cliff instead.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Mymla posted:

Turns out a hero that instantly deletes a player on the enemy team every 8 seconds with no regard for aim or team support is good even if has a 10% failure rate.

You have to aim the hook

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Blizz needs to fix/modify reinstancing in 3v3. Not earning the win when a couple of salty fucks leave when they die in a match point round is frustrating.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Roadhog's spent most of his existence as a mid- or even trash-tier character, exactly as he is now, with the only difference being context.

In fairness, this cuts both ways, because even though his current top-tier status is riding on Ana's coattails, a lot of his previous times in the gutter were due to overpowered heroes countering him hard (i.e. FTH, 50% Discord Orb, etc.) But his being strong isn't a sure thing, unlike, say, Reinhardt.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 11, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sade posted:

I don't think Hog actually gets any kills with a mercy boost that he doesn't get normally. A perfectly-executed hook combo can 1-hit anything with 250 HP or less, so everybody but the tanks.

It'd make a difference if the red team has a shield gen up, I guess? /shrug.

a 30% boost is taking you from 225 to 293, or 450/585 on a headshot. so a good shot from a boosted hog should kill winston in the melee combo without needing another shot (not sure tho since idk how the armor would affect it), plus you don't need a headshot or a combo to oneshot mei or reaper. it also just makes each shot safer since you don't need as solid a hit to oneshot things; even good hogs will flub the kill shot at times. the boost is also good for shredding rein shields

it's not a reason to pick mercy over something else, but you could do a lot worse than damage boosting the roadhog

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mymla posted:

They're nerfing Widow that hard? drat, 8 seconds to charge the rifle and it jams every 10th round.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dogstile posted:

Tracer is loving great. An example that's really good was something that happened last night. I was playing roadhog, I was getting a pick off every fight, but they had a soldier and ana combo keeping the rest of the team alive and killing us all.

Round five and i'm loving frustrated. I swap to tracer to kill the ana and soldier but I can't get near them. It's the control point on Iljiang tower and i'm dancing around on their side trying to survive while ana and soldier fight me. Every time they try to get back to the teamfight i spray them in the back to get their attention. We won every teamfight from then on, because while I didn't get any kills, I took two people out of the fight.

Ya Tracer is super good vs Soldier because even with e you can't duel her because of the insane mobility she has. Even with ult she can manage to get away from you. Whenever there is a good Tracer in the game I just switch to Genji, ignore her and just go for their backline/flank.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Ulio posted:

Ya Tracer is super good vs Soldier because even with e you can't duel her because of the insane mobility she has. Even with ult she can manage to get away from you. Whenever there is a good Tracer in the game I just switch to Genji, ignore her and just go for their backline/flank.

I find that a well placed Helix gets most Tracers to back off very quickly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah buffed Soldier is more than capable of winning a duel with Tracer. It's much rarer for him to be able to force a duel without her running off, but that's still a win.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kuros posted:

Honestly, I'll back off when they're in the healing circle. Not worth the risk.

I really don't like soldiers or genjis as tracer.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The idea is usually to keep people busy while their frontline gets destroyed. It works pretty well, she's a good harasser.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

They're nerfing Widow that hard? drat, 8 seconds to charge the rifle and it jams every 10th round.

Widow has to aim.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mymla posted:

Widow has to aim.

And Roadhog does too, or else all the people bitching about Elo hell could simply slampick Roadhog and effortlessly instakill their way into grandmaster, but that doesn't happen.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

They're nerfing Widow that hard? drat, 8 seconds to charge the rifle and it kills her every 10th round.

I support this.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Oddly enough I was playing random heroes in the arcade yesterday and got Widowmaker, and wondered A) why in the world they thought balancing around the fact that you need to aim as her was a good idea as I one-shot every assault and support hero and took out a third of a tank's health, never dying the entire game and ending with the highest damage done and B) why I don't play her more often. I then proceeded to not pick her again since.

Also in case you didn't hear yet, they're adjusting Roadhog so his hook connects even when somebody is hiding behind a piece of paper that flew in the Roadhog's face and broke line of sight, and also did what we were talking about earlier and made it so when somebody's hooked, their horizontal velocity is slowed dramatically so they can't jump around corners to break it. They've yet to implement it, but you should see a more balanced hook that doesn't grab around corners nor seem to break randomly.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Climbed from 640 to to SILVER! Holy gently caress, d.VA and Pharah really feel like hard carries sometimes. I cannot tell you the number of games where I'd be struggling as Ana/Lucio/Rein and I'd just say "FUGGIT" and then wipe their team with my Rocket spam skills ironed from years of Quake/Unreal

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bust Rodd posted:

Climbed from 640 to to SILVER! Holy gently caress, d.VA and Pharah really feel like hard carries sometimes. I cannot tell you the number of games where I'd be struggling as Ana/Lucio/Rein and I'd just say "FUGGIT" and then wipe their team with my Rocket spam skills ironed from years of Quake/Unreal

I can tell you Pharah is real good all the way up to Platinum, especially if you can find someone to actually heal you as you rain rockets down on everyone.

People really struggle to look up

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I finally rose above my season high, for the first time since being ranked there, so of course Blizzard had to put a stop to it by planting a Widow/Torb main on my team

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Roadhog's spent most of his existence as a mid- or even trash-tier character, exactly as he is now, with the only difference being context.

In fairness, this cuts both ways, because even though his current top-tier status is riding on Ana's coattails, a lot of his previous times in the gutter were due to overpowered heroes countering him hard (i.e. FTH, 50% Discord Orb, etc.) But his being strong isn't a sure thing, unlike, say, Reinhardt.

I mean, except for where they made his hook teleport people right in front of him thus making his short cool down, giant hotbox delete button far more reliable.

But yes, no changes to him at all.

Why does no bother to remember patch changes?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

I mean, except for where they made his hook teleport people right in front of him thus making his short cool down, giant hotbox delete button far more reliable.

But yes, no changes to him at all.

Why does no bother to remember patch changes?

Except for the fact that hook victims can still wind up behind him, too far away to reliably one-shot, etc. Like the real irony is that once the PTR changes, whatever they eventually settle on, go live that Roadhog's hook whenever it works is going to be much, much more reliable at one-shotting people than it currently is in the state where everyone complains that it's completely broken bullshit.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I did it

I got the healing card as Sombra

gently caress you, bad Mercy on my team

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

deadwing posted:

I did it

I got the healing card as Sombra

gently caress you, bad Mercy on my team
Lol.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kai Tave posted:

Except for the fact that hook victims can still wind up behind him, too far away to reliably one-shot, etc. Like the real irony is that once the PTR changes, whatever they eventually settle on, go live that Roadhog's hook whenever it works is going to be much, much more reliable at one-shotting people than it currently is in the state where everyone complains that it's completely broken bullshit.

I didn't say it is perfect now, it clearly isn't. But it is far, far more consistent now than it was. And it absolutely changed from how he used to be.

And the PTR changes are just loving with the pull physics some more. People will adapt to what hooks land and use him appropriately. If they really wanted to nerf him, maybe they should up the cooldown on his stun, which is worth even of the target didn't get pulled at all or change the hotbox of the wonky projectile rather than constantly tuning how the target reacts.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They didn't want to nerf him, they just wanted to make the hook work in a less weird way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kuros posted:

Imo those are pretty easy to dodge. I feel like its definitely winnable for Solider but it feels like a waste of time. Rather just go mow down their entire frontline instead of trying to land dmg on Tracer.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

soldier has a big advantage in a 1v1 with tracer, but that doesn't really matter and people shouldn't be focusing on specific solo fights as an example for a hero being good/bad. like reaper shuts down winston harder than just about any other hero counter in overwatch but that doesn't mean that winston is bad. hell, winston's been better than reaper more often than he hasn't in general

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Tracer 1v1 carries some weight just because she does often find herself in situations like that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Or rather she can force other heroes into that situation if she wants to because she can flank and chase them down. She generally will not have to engage in an unfavourable fight because she can run away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the nice thing about tracer is that she can easily initiate or evade any 1v1 she wants. you don't have to fight that soldier if you don't want to

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZs3u4ErcB0

Somebody just did this in the Winter Premier tournament stream and freaked everybody out.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Theta Zero posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZs3u4ErcB0

Somebody just did this in the Winter Premier tournament stream and freaked everybody out.

Can confirm.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

the nice thing about tracer is that she can easily initiate or evade any 1v1 she wants. you don't have to fight that soldier if you don't want to

ya thats what I meant normally the tracer will stop chasing you after seeing you healed all her dmg but as soldier its still hard to land hits on a good tracer. Neither end up killing eachother unless Soldier lands helix rockets.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

One of those cool little things that hardly ever happens occurred when I was playing tonight m

We're on Oasis Part 2, 6v6 mystery heroes. I got Genji. We're in the capture zone in the gazebo thing, and I'm looking at an enemy Bastion with a friendly Ana behind him. I wait for him to go turret mode, absorb a few rounds and hit reflect. He stops, but Ana fires her sleep dart. Misses, but hits my reflect. I got +25 for sleeping an enemy as Genji :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm getting this slow realization that maybe Pharah is this awkward fulcrum around which the whole meta rests. Her existence seems to demand that one of 76/McCree be very strong at all times, or at least some hitscan hero but usually one of those two.

I enjoy playing her too, but I'm starting to think if she didn't exist that balance would be easier to maintain.