Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

And 95% of these actors will disappear as well.

Bronn can go back to his previous career.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Qon-Udlhw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm honestly surprised no one on the GoT cast is finding good work in the off-season. It seems like they're mostly appearing in bombs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Bronn was in the best episode of the new season of Black Mirror.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Granted she's had her face covered so far, but Star Wars.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

Christopher Orr over in The Atlantic wrote a review that, paraphrased, said that Game of Thrones is all payoff now and no buildup. You get things like Arya coming out of nowhere with Walder Frey or Jon's resurrection coming with absolutely no cost. I think it's a pretty apt point, but I also think there are some really great sequences like Hardhome or the Battle of the Bastards or the destruction of the sept that rival anything in the first four seasons. The problem now is that when it's bad, it's really bad, worse than even some of the most awkward scenes in season one (eg play with her rear end).

here's the article if anyone cares, it's pretty astute: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/06/how-game-of-thrones-became-a-different-show/489305/

Yes every season now is basically game of thrones' greatest hits but you don't care about those cool moments when there is no build up for them at all.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm honestly surprised no one on the GoT cast is finding good work in the off-season. It seems like they're mostly appearing in bombs.

Emilia Clarke will drop off the face of the earth after season 8.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

In It For The Tank posted:

Emilia Clarke will drop off the face of the earth after season 8.

There are worse fates than only being known for one incredibly iconic role.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

TOOT BOOT posted:

There are worse fates than only being known for one incredibly iconic role.

Like getting dumped by seth macfarlane

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://grrm.livejournal.com/515302.html#comments

:laffo:

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 11, 2017

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't expect it until 2018. At some point he has to finish no matter how slowly it's going, or maybe the publisher will finally get on his rear end and tell him to wrap up what he's got written.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

And thus his legacy was taken by HBO, while he was remembered as a fat guy on Conan jumping into a pool.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Surely he would have been better served releasing 500 pages (+/- depending on chapters) every 2 years, rather than 1800 or whatever after 7. That way he wouldn't have the temptation to keep going back and rewrite what had been released and his readership would have something to read on a fairly regular basis.

His publisher has probably suggested this and he rejected it for artistic reasons.

It would be better financially as well. No doubt it will get split for release anyway like The Unholy Consult has.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

TOOT BOOT posted:

This has been fairly common for people who star in HBO shows for multiple seasons, hasn't it? I wonder if there is something unwritten limiting their appearances in other movies/TV series for the duration of a show. I do know that HBO had built a reputation around really catering to their actors to guarantee continuity.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

This has been fairly common for people who star in HBO shows for multiple seasons, hasn't it? I wonder if there is something unwritten limiting their appearances in other movies/TV series for the duration of a show. I do know that HBO had built a reputation around really catering to their actors to guarantee continuity.

In Emilia Clarke's case I'm sure at least part of it is that she's a terrible actress. Actually probably not that's never stopped the film industry before.

Also Gurm is literally gonna die before he finishes this series. He *might* finish the next book, but there is no chance in hell he finishes the last one.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I'm convinced that the books are already written and his will says they'll be released upon death with just a giant middle finger in all the pages.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Emilia and Kit have had starring roles since appearing in GoT, they're just kinda poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

TOOT BOOT posted:

There's always Sci Fi-Fantasy-Comic Book conventions...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Uhhh Jorah Mormont has a starring role in Resident Evil 18: Seriously, the Last One You Guys

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Sansa was young Jean Grey in the new X-men, so Sophie Turner might be the most successful one so far.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I think Sean Bean counts as the most successful cast member

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Jaimie was in a post-apocalyptic movie with Tom Cruise recently, Oblivion. Not a big part, though

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

I think Sean Bean counts as the most successful cast member

He hasn't been a cast member since season one, we're talking active cast.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!
Jaimie was the main character in that insane Gods of Egypt movie that I am RIGHT NOW listening to a podcast about (How Did This Get Made). In fact one of the podcast hosts mentioned he had a development meeting with a Hollywood studio and the suits stated they wanted to work with any GoT cast member. They are apparently hot commodities. Perhaps they have stuff in development that just hasn't come out yet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I heard that movie was actually pretty fun. Looks like it didn't bomb but didn't do that great either

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Considering that the show has not boosted Dinklage's career and he's the best actor on the show I think we can safely assume none of the lesser actors are going to come out of this with much more than their millions of dollars and a lifetime of slightly odd and nerdy fans.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Some of the cast members don't even want to be actors outside the show. Joffrey's actor has stopped acting, and Arya's actress wants to focus on dancing when she's done. Shae and Cersei were already pretty successful before the show and that hasn't changed. Kit Harrington, Emilia Clarke and Sansa seem to be doing pretty well because of the show.

Also Brienne was in Star Wars

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Considering that the show has not boosted Dinklage's career and he's the best actor on the show I think we can safely assume none of the lesser actors are going to come out of this with much more than their millions of dollars and a lifetime of slightly odd and nerdy fans.

I mean, let's be fair, it's hard to cast Dinklage as just any role. He can't be a non-comedic action hero, for example.

pidan posted:

Her voice was in Star Wars.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Did Gwendoline Christie not do the acting in the suit?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Did Gwendoline Christie not do the acting in the suit?

The fact that you have to ask that proves my point.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I mean, let's be fair, it's hard to cast Dinklage as just any role. He can't be a non-comedic action hero, for example.

Are you saying that a remake of Willow wouldn't work? Hell, I'm surprised it hasn't been made already.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I heard that movie was actually pretty fun. Looks like it didn't bomb but didn't do that great either

It's goofy as gently caress and really rote. I'd put it on par with Jupiter Ascending minus the incredibly gay space rollerblading.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

pidan posted:

The casting director was from GoT. See how many cast members you can spot in The Force Awakens...

Gimmedaroot fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 11, 2017

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

WampaLord posted:

Her voice was in Star Wars.

1) She's going to continue being in Star Wars. So we'll see if she takes the helmet off.

2) A less important character with a covered face had a big fan base. Fans are weird.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

WampaLord posted:

I mean, let's be fair, it's hard to cast Dinklage as just any role. He can't be a non-comedic action hero,

Aaaaaand now there's rumors he's in Avengers Infinity War

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WampaLord posted:

The fact that you have to ask that proves my point.

Uh how?

I assumed it was her in there, and someone ITT suggests it wasn't

Even if it wasn't it doesn't really matter, no one goes "Psh JEJ only did Vader's voice acting, he's not REALLY in Star Wars."

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jagermonster posted:

Jaimie was the main character in that insane Gods of Egypt movie that I am RIGHT NOW listening to a podcast about (How Did This Get Made). In fact one of the podcast hosts mentioned he had a development meeting with a Hollywood studio and the suits stated they wanted to work with any GoT cast member. They are apparently hot commodities. Perhaps they have stuff in development that just hasn't come out yet.

Incidentally he was also in Black Hawk Down 16 years ago.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Iwan Rheon will be playing Hitler in a TV movie alongside Rupert Grunt.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Charles Dance seems to be in everything these days.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Charles Dance seems to be in everything these days.

That is because Charles Dance owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Uh, Gods of Egypt was a horrific bomb. You can't look at wikipedia's budget and gross and go "well gross is higher than budget therefore not a bomb". The budget doesn't include marketing costs which can be double the budget depending on how much they choose to advertise and the gross doesn't include the cut the movie theaters get which can be up to half of the gross depending on the contract the studios have with the theaters.

Most contracts have stipulations like "Theater only gets 25% of the first weekend's gross, but after that it goes up 5-8% weekly" which is why studios are obsessed with opening weekend numbers, but poo poo movies like Gods of Egypt get most of their gross because they're in the theaters forever, which is when the studios are getting the least amount back.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread