Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Radiohead71 posted:

Just finished my first game. One of the things I think needs improving is the friendly fire aspect in combat. The pawns can easily avoid tagging each other with gunfire while hunting, but when it's combat the friendly fire is terrible. The mini gun is more trouble than it's worth for most engagements.

Almost like combat is a much more hectic and confusing scenario than hunting an animal and you need to use good tactics and planning to avoid friendly fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Radiohead71 posted:

Just finished my first game. One of the things I think needs improving is the friendly fire aspect in combat. The pawns can easily avoid tagging each other with gunfire while hunting, but when it's combat the friendly fire is terrible. The mini gun is more trouble than it's worth for most engagements.

Don't put your pawns in a position to cause a crossfire.

Use miniguns ONLY against hostiles who are already engaging in melee with the pawn directly in front of the gunner; pawns won't hit friends they can touch when using ranged weapons (I THINK this is true with the miniguns too). You should expect a truly awful spread, but at point blank range it's an instagib cannon against most targets.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

tuyop posted:

Please post your base!

Sorry, I can't get embed to work. I deconstructed all the steel benches and tool cabinets by this point. Not much to write home about but it worked. I made a bunch of noob mistakes:
1. waiting too long to begin stone cutting
2. waiting too long to begin electric smelting
3. making growing fields too big. I had to make 3 freezers to store all of my food. I purposely made my people hunt a lot to improve their shooting skills so I had a ton of meat.
4. used too many turrets and not using cover for my pawns to use while fighting.
5. I did use Randy, but went back and forth from base builder to the next difficulty a few times. I would recommend that for noobs. Use base builder to figure out how to set up your base and then go harder to make it more fun. Eventually I had a good base and the raids were still 1-2 guys with clubs. Not even a challenge then.
6. made my walls from steel at first instead of stone. Later I ran out of steel and had to make the switch from steel to stone walls. A lot of work.
7. It's funny how you get one resource under control and then run of another. Steel, then components, then plasteel.
8. I almost think that 16 pawns are too many for just one ship. Sad that one of my original 3 got mauled by a wolf and died shortly before we launched.

Gonna try a new game now with lots of mountains and not going to start on an easy base builder difficulty. Need to try mods too. I wish you see what underground scanner can see before you build a drill. Like it should tell you what the resource below ground is before you go installing a drill and conduit.

One question I had, is there a bug with roofing an area? Two times in this game I couldn't make a complete roof and there were 2 tiles that let weather in. Nothing I tried allowed me to cover the 2 tiles.

Radiohead71 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 11, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Radiohead71 posted:

One question I had, is there a bug with roofing an area? Two times in this game I couldn't make a complete roof and there were 2 tiles that let weather in. Nothing I tried allowed me to cover the 2 tiles.

How wide are your rooms? Roofs can only extend I think six tiles from the closest supporting structure.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

What is the rough output of food per tile? If I have to feed X people for Y days how many tiles of farm do I need?

I always end up way over or way under.

Also I would like to second the idea of ignoring batteries. I love started using wood generators as for on demand power. Losing a bit of efficiency is worth not putting out fires all the time.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

How wide are your rooms? Roofs can only extend I think six tiles from the closest supporting structure.

Not sure exactly, but if you look at my base my clothing and textile warehouse was the red square at bottom. There were 2 tiles in the lower middle that let rain/snow in no matter what I tried. Also the bottom middle of my base would not 100% roof so I had to make the upside down U to roof it in.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Xae posted:

What is the rough output of food per tile? If I have to feed X people for Y days how many tiles of farm do I need?

I always end up way over or way under.
The reality of the situation is that this is always gonna be the case because stuff like fertility affects growth rates so it's difficult to give a real throughput per tile for food.

Just grow more, turn them into meals, and use them as a trade good.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Radiohead71 posted:

Not sure exactly, but if you look at my base my clothing and textile warehouse was the red square at bottom. There were 2 tiles in the lower middle that let rain/snow in no matter what I tried. Also the bottom middle of my base would not 100% roof so I had to make the upside down U to roof it in.

in the tab with zones (growing, stockpiles, etc), there are a couple of options relating to roofs- build roof area, no-roof area. use those.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Coolguye posted:

The reality of the situation is that this is always gonna be the case because stuff like fertility affects growth rates so it's difficult to give a real throughput per tile for food.

Worse than that, lighting. You'll never hit 100% light for the full growth period without sun lamps; how much you fall short by varies by latitude and time of year.

For more predictable indoor growing, one hydroponics basin of rice feeding a nutrient paste dispenser will feed one pawn... assuming no power outages or solar flares.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

This is super spergy of me, I know, but it would be neat if I could designate a smoking room for these addicts to hotbox instead of sparking one up right in the drat fridge.

:pcgaming:

also, pawns being near a burning smokeleaf field getting high off the smoke like every game that involves burning drug fields. :okpos:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Zhentar posted:

For more predictable indoor growing, one hydroponics basin of rice feeding a nutrient paste dispenser will feed one pawn... assuming no power outages or solar flares.

These will happen loving CONSTANTLY. Use hydroponics basins for growing things that grow fast, the longer something takes to grow the more time there is for a solar flare to happen and ruin everything. The sun is completely hosed up if solar flares are that common.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Blight is also dumb as hell in that it hits every plant type the same way at the same time. The whole purpose of growing multiple crops is to protect yourself against crop failures.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Slime posted:

These will happen loving CONSTANTLY. Use hydroponics basins for growing things that grow fast, the longer something takes to grow the more time there is for a solar flare to happen and ruin everything. The sun is completely hosed up if solar flares are that common.

flares really need to only affect 'sensitive' equipment instead of literally anything that conducts an electron, yeah. just make sensitive equipment anything that produces power or has a moving part (so batteries and lights are exempt, but that's close to it - maybe also heaters). would give batteries a more convincing reason to be around if they were your way of making sure the loving lights didn't literally go off at a moment's notice.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Flesh Forge posted:

Blight is also dumb as hell in that it hits every plant type the same way at the same time. The whole purpose of growing multiple crops is to protect yourself against crop failures.

Nano blights

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Flesh Forge posted:

I think it would be cool if the growing skill could have a part in this.

Like... your master farmer was able to identify a parasite on your rice and has cut down those to save the rest of the field. Although im not sure people would like your pawn wasting time looking at your fields

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah, it'd feel a lot better if it wiped out a single crop type, rather than everything. You'd still get terrible scenarios where all your food is gone, but you'd know it was really your fault for relying entirely on rice (or whatever). Maybe make it some sort of pests and have it affect your stockpiles too.

Horrible catastrophes that make you go, "oh god, I should have planned for this!" are great. Horrible catastrophes, or even minor ones, that just give you an unavoidable flat penalty randomly for no reason feel really bad.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Eiba posted:

Horrible catastrophes that make you go, "oh god, I should have planned for this!" are great. Horrible catastrophes, or even minor ones, that just give you an unavoidable flat penalty randomly for no reason feel really bad.

That's the big, BIG flaw with Rimworld to me right now. Events are so rarely a case of something you should have planned for. Mostly they're just a big gently caress YOU. Blight should be something you survive by planting a variety of crops. Solar flares shouldn't gently caress over hydroponics so thoroughly and should be something you can get through by maybe having some alternate equipment options. What is the electricity even doing? If they died because of a lack of light from your sun lamps that would make sense, but they just die because the hydroponics basic wasn't powered. Is it meant to be because the plant isn't getting water pumped over it? gently caress, let me assign a pawn as an emergency water giver in that case.

Edit: Diseases too just seem to be something that happens just because. The best you can do against them is to get a constant supply of that drug to help against some diseases, and making sure you have a bunch of medicine on hand and enough spare kidneys to make sure everyone can rest through the disease and not die.

Slime fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 12, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

It ostensibly should not be too hard to make a mod for some of this stuff; Zhentar, keep me honest on that? Is that a true statement? I have lots of programming experience and would volunteer, but my time is so slammed right now I get the feeling I'd immediately be promising poo poo I can't deliver.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2017

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I would totally get a Farming Overhaul Mod.
Plants require water and some plants grow better in certain biomes. Irrigation, tending, tilling, fertilizer, orchards, greenhouses.

Man! Why am I so excited about watching the grass grow.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I like the medieval mod and all but give me bronze age stuff with the Farming mod. Im gonna try and recreate the Indus valley or egyptian Nile cultures.

I am Gilgamesh!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

You're in trouble if Humbaba shows up though.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So, I finally found a completely stable balance of mods, with no errors, and now it is unable to load save games that I just quit and were working perfectly fine. I can generate, run and play just fine, but attempting to reload the game fails 100% of the time.

When loading, it fails and tells me to check the error logs, but the game didn't crash, so no error log was created. There is only the error logs from crashes a few days before that are now irrelevant.

I am not using many mods, but this is my list:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840362976

Where specified, all mod load orders have been followed and respected.

Anyone else had this problem?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

"I am not using many mods"

Items (106)

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Lots of mods improve the game in lots of little ways. They all add up! The game is so much better with these. All the little tweaks and fixes and additions that just provide a 700% more enjoyable experience overall.

Edit: how many do you guys use on average? I thought this was a normal amount, considering that they're all useful and add something to the experience.

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 12, 2017

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
... I have 2.

Prepare Carefully and Door Mats.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I would say this is a lot of mods:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840381029

e: I mean, if you can't load a saved game then I wouldn't say you have a stable combination, unload everything and add the bare minimum of what you refuse to play without and see if that works, and then add a few at a time :shrug:

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'm subbed to 118 on steam, but some of those are outdated and i do grab a couple mods from other sources

the modlist mod tells me i'm running 54 in my current game

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm running four and still having memory problems the official forums tell me are because of too many mods

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well which four?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Flesh Forge posted:

Well which four?

Prepare carefully, quality builder, I Can Fix It, Powerswitch

The actual issue is that I run 400x400 maps and the game can't handle two of those at once because A16 has memory leak issues. It's not mod related, it's just that nobody plays this game modless so it's hard to prove any given problem isn't mod related.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I also run max size size maps. :yayclod:

But the memory leak might be a problem. But I have more ram than most rimworlders I suspect, so i very much doubt that is the problem.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure the ram you have matters that.much since rimworld is 32 bit. I know I have 8 gigs VRAM but the game only detects four by my logs.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hmmm, that is true, I did not realise that is was restricted so.

I figured everyone wrote for 64 these days.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't get 300x300 or higher as I run too many mods. The game just locks up generating the map. I have 3 + 32 GB.

He is using Unity and back then it was still 32bit. Wonder why he hasn't moved up?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McGiggins posted:

So, I finally found a completely stable balance of mods, with no errors, and now it is unable to load save games that I just quit and were working perfectly fine. I can generate, run and play just fine, but attempting to reload the game fails 100% of the time.

When loading, it fails and tells me to check the error logs, but the game didn't crash, so no error log was created. There is only the error logs from crashes a few days before that are now irrelevant.

I am not using many mods, but this is my list:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=840362976

Where specified, all mod load orders have been followed and respected.

Anyone else had this problem?

Check your savefile for a pawn with the hediff "Thief" and delete them. That should fix your save.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oohhboy posted:

I can't get 300x300 or higher as I run too many mods. The game just locks up generating the map. I have 3 + 32 GB.

He is using Unity and back then it was still 32bit. Wonder why he hasn't moved up?

64 bit upgrades tend to cause a lot of side issues and he might not feel up to handling that yet

which isn't especially healthy as it's certainly never going to get any easier.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Check your savefile for a pawn with the hediff "Thief" and delete them. That should fix your save.

I have found exactly that, and I am hopeful this will fix the problem. One question is though, how do i know I have selected all the information relevant to him for deletion? I am assuming leaving anything left over is bad, but there does not seem to be a clear delineation between his data and that of other characters that is apparent from first glance.

Fake edit: I hosed it up, then unfucked it up (hosed down?) and now it works!

This was a PERFECT solution and I would love to know how you identified the issue. Is this a problem with the mod that adds the hediff for the thief?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Coolguye posted:

It ostensibly should not be too hard to make a mod for some of this stuff; Zhentar, keep me honest on that? Is that a true statement? I have lots of programming experience and would volunteer, but my time is so slammed right now I get the feeling I'd immediately be promising poo poo I can't deliver.

If you know C#, then yeah, it's pretty easy.

McGiggins posted:

An output_log.txt file is always created whether or not there's any crash. And you can view the error log in game by switching on dev mode.

Coolguye posted:

64 bit upgrades tend to cause a lot of side issues and he might not feel up to handling that yet

which isn't especially healthy as it's certainly never going to get any easier.

The linux version is already 64-bit. But weighed against fixing memory leaks and reducing memory usage, switching to 64-bit is a pretty poo poo solution.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I'm using like 12 mods currently. I'm fairly picky about what I use. I tried to enjoy combat realism but micro managing ammo proved to be too annoying. I do enjoy the aspect of blowing things away from half way across the map. I think it caused some issue with the cthulu mod, too, but I'm not sure. Anyone successfully use the 2 in conjunction? I kinda want to play with realistic combat again now. Hnnnggh.

Veggie garden owns.

Edit: could I add it mid game or would I need to start a new one?

vandalism fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I bought the game from his website, can I get a steam key too?