Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's also just the way it's actually used in the film. The moment of silence before These Days starts is 50% of why it's so effective, the rest is riding the wave of emotion off the first notes of the song that hit you like water. It's a great aesthetic choice of song that's slipped in using really brilliant editing and cinematography, and that matches the mood of the movie.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I have to watch that film again - it's one of my absolute favourites.

Timby posted:

For a movie in its entirety, I would probably agree, but the gold standard of a single song being used in a movie for me is Frank Patterson's "Danny Boy" in Miller's Crossing.

Excellent call. Another movie favourite.

Speaking of Coen's, Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Is In in Lebowski is also fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

therattle posted:

Speaking of Coen's, Just Dropped In To See What Condition My Condition Is In in Lebowski is also fantastic.

The Dude hitting his car roof in time to Lookin' Out My Backdoor is one of the best bits in that whole movie. The Jesus' introduction with that cover of Hotel California is also choice.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

How the gently caress did I go this long without seeing, even really hearing about, Bug? Judd and Shannon are incredible and while it's obviously not Friedkin's best, he creates a hell of a claustrophobic environment.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's way prettier than it has any right to be. Plus K-Stew :swoon:

In terms of surprisingly good action/comedies, it's 2015's Premium Rush.

Premium Rush owns. When I was watching it, I couldn't shake the idea that it was almost a remake of Hackers but with hacking swapped out for bike riding.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I Before E posted:

They had Walton Goggins, who is one of the most effective actors around in terms of projecting menace through dialogue, and had most of his screentime taken up with what is maybe the least threatening villainous laugh in film history.

That's still not as bad as Thor 2 casting Christopher Eccleston as the villain, then putting him under ten pounds of makeup and having all but like two of his lines be gibberish.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'd say second-tier but second-tier Scorsese is still very good. The Departed is second-tier Scorsese too and I could watch that one for days.

Speaking of which, anyone see Silence yet?

I managed to catch it last week and I really loved it. I don't know if the fact I had previously read the book helped, but it's beautifully crafted and probably end up in my top 5 of his films.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CPL593H posted:

Do you still Dickstream?

i could, i just haven't in Forever

i just show ladyeye my weird nonsense now and she shakes her head sadly

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
We just sold my childhood home and while it was something that really needed to be done and I've had a while to come to terms with it, it's still weird as hell and it's complicated by the fact we haven't found a new place to live yet and we'll probably have to be out in little over a month.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Scorsese's best use of music is Mean Streets

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
One of my childhood homes got turned into a French restaurant, and then later a strip club. Like an upmarket one.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

glam rock hamhock posted:

We just sold my childhood home and while it was something that really needed to be done and I've had a while to come to terms with it, it's still weird as hell and it's complicated by the fact we haven't found a new place to live yet and we'll probably have to be out in little over a month.

We abruptly had to move out of the house I spent my teens in and it was like fleeing an apocalypse, so I feel you.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man this new Blair Witch movie is a huge piece of poo poo

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Magic Hate Ball posted:

We abruptly had to move out of the house I spent my teens in and it was like fleeing an apocalypse, so I feel you.

Haha yeah, my parents lost our house to the bank when I was a teenager (due to mental illness on their part making it impossible for them to manage their finances) and due to the same conditions, they didn't face facts until the eviction crew was literally on our doorstep, so I got hit with "put what you want to keep in a suitcase, the rest is going in a dumpster, also you aren't going to college".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Anonymous Robot posted:

Haha yeah, my parents lost our house to the bank when I was a teenager (due to mental illness on their part making it impossible for them to manage their finances) and due to the same conditions, they didn't face facts until the eviction crew was literally on our doorstep, so I got hit with "put what you want to keep in a suitcase, the rest is going in a dumpster, also you aren't going to college".

Haha ha h aha same

same

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Both my first childhood home (my parents moved when I was 1 1/2) and my second (lived until 1997) are still around. The first one is worth 100x more than it was when they originally bought it because it's in Decatur, GA. Property is ridiculously expensive (and valuable).

Moved in 1997 because "too few white kids in the neighborhood"

blue squares posted:

Scorsese's best use of music is Mean Streets

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
My hometown's public library shared its building space with a strip club, which is one of the few perks of being poor. We got a few eviction notices growing up but Mama always made them go away somehow. It must've really sucked going through the "pack a suitcase" ordeal, Robot homie.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Just applied for a research job that I'm actually qualified for and would pay a living wage and allow me to move to the city, so lend me your fuckin energy everybody.

Gonna be real hard waiting for three+ weeks to hear back while still working full time in a call center+living in a laundry room

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

My hometown's public library shared its building space with a strip club, which is one of the few perks of being poor. We got a few eviction notices growing up but Mama always made them go away somehow. It must've really sucked going through the "pack a suitcase" ordeal, Robot homie.
That sucks that it was a pubic library.

(no but for real that sucks)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just applied for a research job that I'm actually qualified for and would pay a living wage and allow me to move to the city, so lend me your fuckin energy everybody.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gonna be real hard waiting for three+ weeks to hear back while still working full time in a call center+living in a laundry room

Good fortune!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It's been harder on my parents, over all. The behavior that brought them to that point hasn't changed, instead they now just fixate on owning an opulent mansion and defer actually doing anything with their lives until they climb put of the temporary embarrassment they've been living in for eight years now. Also they've started hoarding expensive sealed-in-box appliances and electronics "for the house" and they eat at restaurants most of the time because they "don't have a kitchen".

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Just watched Dogtooth and man, between that and The Lobster, Lanthimos is really good at getting visceral reactions from sudden violence. That bathroom scene :stare:

Also I am starting to think he has something against animals.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

A couple years ago, Disney theatrically released a documentary about apes called Born to the Wild. I only saw the trailer, but I was actually pissed they didn't use the song. Come on, Disney!

I cannot stress how angry I was walking out of Edge of Seventeen having not heard the song Edge of Seventeen. I was all set for Stevie Nicks over the credits and I got some lame indie song.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Man this new Blair Witch movie is a huge piece of poo poo

I think I liked it at first because I love Wingard so much. But uh...in retrospect it's not good.

Still like the final scene and the witch reveal. Would've owned more if it wasn't a Blair Witch movie.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Starting to think that once its proven that this peepee leak is bullshit, Trump's gonna be able to get away with a lot more poo poo after the blowback.

CNN and MSNBC should really just fire everyone and start fresh.

Also, hoping Trump does us all a favor and figures out a way to completely dissolve the CIA.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 12, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Even if it turns out that President Elect Donald Trump didn't specifically have prostitutes urinate on that specific occasion he will probably always be known as the pee president. It will be a thing mentioned as trivia on the cybernet 200 years from now.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Even if it turns out that President Elect Donald Trump didn't specifically have prostitutes urinate on that specific occasion he will probably always be known as the pee president. It will be a thing mentioned as trivia on the cybernet 200 years from now.

Oh yeah, its beautiful. Im referring to the media pundits that are trying to push this as a story-of-the-century, high treason narrative, which will inevitably just lead to pee pee on their own faces.

from Glenn Greenwald's article on The Intercept posted:

THERE IS A REAL DANGER here that this maneuver can harshly backfire, to the great benefit of Trump and to the great detriment of those who want to oppose him. If any of the significant claims in this “dossier” turn out to be provably false — such as Cohen’s trip to Prague — many people will conclude, with Trump’s encouragement, that large media outlets (CNN and BuzzFeed) and anti-Trump factions inside the government (CIA) are deploying “Fake News” to destroy him. In the eyes of many people, that will forever discredit — render impotent — future journalistic exposés that are based on actual, corroborated wrongdoing.

Beyond that, the threat posed by submitting ourselves to the CIA and empowering it to reign supreme outside of the democratic process is — as Eisenhower warned — an even more severe danger. The threat of being ruled by unaccountable and unelected entities is self-evident and grave. That’s especially true when the entity behind which so many are rallying is one with a long and deliberate history of lying, propaganda, war crimes, torture, and the worst atrocities imaginable.

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 12, 2017

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/819284754021236736
https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/819287332754898944

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought Hulk killed the all caps thing

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GIMMICK MAKE YOU TAKE ARGUMENT SERIOUSLY AS DESERVES

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I usually like idiots, but no

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It really wouldn't surprise me if the whole "Pissgate" thing was deliberately leaked [insert Tim Allen laugh here] as part of the general plan to discredit mass media.

It's clearly part of the bigger picture that Trump administration has been working on as a prelude to what I assume will eventually be a state-run information service.

All the news organizations are "fake news" (except for Fox News), Hollywood is all garbage, the music industry (made up entirely of Jay-Z and Beyonce, apparently) is garbage. They're even being thorough by going after theatre with the whole Hamilton thing.

Pretty much straight out of Goebbels' principles of propaganda. Just wait until movies like Hillary's America are the norm.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 12, 2017

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I think it's far more likely that the intelligence community and the dems still havent realized that Trump isnt even playing the same game as them, and like the other things they tried and failed to use during the election, he'll be able to use it to his advantage.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Didn't think I'd care this much about the Blair Witch remake getting spoiled, but I kinda do.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I think I liked it at first because I love Wingard so much. But uh...in retrospect it's not good.

Still like the final scene and the witch reveal. Would've owned more if it wasn't a Blair Witch movie.

This is pretty much how I feel about it too. When it came out there wasnt much else to be excited about so I was pumped, but looking back now at the other horror movies I saw in 2016, it really wasnt that great.

Echoing the love for that final set piece though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

This guy is insanely stupid.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just realized we never got our listing of who rated the last thread and what they rated it

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
*After meditating on geopolitical affairs for three hours*
https://twitter.com/FilmCritHULK/status/819287332754898944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
That hulk guy is total garbage.

He writes for Birth Movies Death, right? Is there anyone good who writes for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anonymous Robot posted:

Good luck!

On an unrelated note: You guys sure turned on Blair Witch pretty quick. It hasn't even been six months.

• Locked thread