Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

underwent some sort mechanical issue

That's an interesting euphemism for "fuckwitted driver went under a bridge that was too low for him and nearly killed several people".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

xzzy posted:

Didn't Indianapolis just finish spending like a hojillion dollars on their highway system too?
They were widening the east side of I465 for quite a while, but that has been done for a few years. I think that bridge is pretty new, though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Memento posted:

That's an interesting euphemism for "fuckwitted driver went under a bridge that was too low for him and nearly killed several people".
What they were saying is that the car crusher thing raised up at some point, either through mechanical failure, negligence, etc. I don't remember that bridge being lower than some of the others, although I haven't seen what route the truck took.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

xzzy posted:

Didn't Indianapolis just finish spending like a hojillion dollars on their highway system too?

The interstates and highways around Indy have been under construction for 30 years. I wish I was kidding.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhyno posted:

The interstates and highways around Indy have been under construction for 30 years. I wish I was kidding.

Road systems in North America are like painting the Forth Bridge. The extremes in temp during the year just destroy everything and at least near me the roads are so heavily salted it is a wonder how the grass grows on the verge.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

You Am I posted:

Is the Suzuki Might Boy small enough?

Wrong thread :swoon:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Crosspost from the Schadenfreude thread.

OSI bean dip posted:

http://www.richmond-news.com/news/richmond-driver-of-bond-style-car-shaken-stirred-over-bill-1.6930405

quote:

Richmond driver of Bond-style car shaken, stirred over bill
Jessica Liu is angry over $132,000 costs for repair of luxury, $200,000 Aston Martin
Alan Campbell / Richmond News

JANUARY 10, 2017 04:07 PM

Imagine, for a second, you’d just shelled out $200,000 for a very rare sports car that was made famous by the James Bond movies.

Then, fast forward the dream scenario and picture a nightmare where you crash the car — a very lightly-used, Aston Martin DB9 in Skyfall silver — have only basic insurance and are facing a $132,000 repair bill.

That is, however, exactly the situation a Richmond resident, Jessica Liu, finds herself in, having driven the stunning limited edition — only 100 were made — for only a few kilometres before she inexplicably veered off the road and hit a large stone near Blundell and Garden City roads in December 2015.

It has been more than a year since Liu — who regularly travels to and from China on business — has driven the car and seven months since she has even seen it.

Since then, Liu’s 007 replica has been languishing in the luxury bodyshop of Burrard Autostrasse (BA) in Vancouver.

For almost a year, Liu, who lives near Blundell and No. 2 roads, has been at odds with the autoshop over their bill to bring her Aston Martin back to roadworthy condition.

To put things into perspective, a pot of the car’s silver paint, which is named after Bond movie Skyfall, chimes in at $900 and a single headlight registers at $7,000.

Neither of those items, however, form the crux of Liu’s contention, with her focus trained on the cost of a pair of brake rotors ($30,000, plus labour) and a completely new subframe ($25,000, plus labour).

“I’m not going to pay a cent; I don’t even want the car back anymore; I want a refund (from the dealer),” Liu, who is in her 30s, told the Richmond News via email from China.

“I don’t think it’s safe to drive. I just drove it for two weeks; I don’t trust the car, I don’t trust the dealer and I don’t trust the autoshop’s invoices.”

Liu, who told BA to stop working on her car last fall, questioned the need to buy a pair of rotors (brakes) when only one of them is chipped and claims she can get the subframe for $10,000 less somewhere else.

To compound her misery, Liu is being dinged $200 a day by BA for storage of the Aston Martin. On Monday, that fee was $18,000.

“I shouldn’t be paying storage fees for a car that isn’t finished,” she added.

Liu bought the car, which can cost $300,000 brand new, for a “bargain” $200,000 in June 2015 from Vancouver-based, luxury car dealer MCL.

After the accident a few months later, she called the dealership and was directed to BA, where the car was towed to.

An initial repair estimate a few days later rang in at around $24,000, before rising, under closer inspection to nearer $100,000 in January of last year.

Not happy with the estimate, Liu took the car to a Richmond repair shop, where she obtained a much cheaper quote for the subframe. However, she discovered the subframe can only be bought by an Aston Martin-approved technician and the only approved facility in B.C. is BA. In July 2016, she felt she had no choice but to take her car back into BA, where it has been since.

Unhappy with the subsequent bill, she sought legal advice in October and lawyers for each party have been duking it out ever since.

Explaining parts of the $132,000 bill, Frank Van Pykstra, co-owner of BA, said the brakes are ceramic and, therefore, “they can’t be machined” like regular brakes.

“This is a car that can go 250 kilometres per hour; we can’t take any chances, it has to be 100 per cent,” said Van Pykstra.

As for needing a pair of rotors and not just one, Van Pykstra said, “When you’re braking in this car, in any car really, the brakes need to be balanced. You can’t replace just one.”

The subframe, he said, is a “restricted part,” meaning only authorized shops can buy it. “I’m not sure how (Liu) could get the subframe for that price; it would have to be from a damaged car or something or from someone using the kind of certification that only a very few people have.”

As for the storage fees, Van Pykstra said he’ll waive them if the matter resolves soon.

“We’ve done everything we can for this customer,” he added.

“We’ve made her an offer, which is valid until this Friday; we will take $5,000 off her bill and waive the storage fees.”

ICBC, which is hiking basic insurance rates next year by 4.9 per cent, announced last November that, beginning this year, it will stop insuring luxury cars worth more than $150,000.

There are about 3,000 cars worth more than $150,000 insured in B.C. this year, a 30 per cent increase from three years ago. Many of them can be seen being driven around in Richmond.

I'm the loving idiot who buys an expensive $200,000 car where only 100 were made and whines about how much it costs to fix after probably driving it way too loving fast.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Memento posted:

I'm the loving idiot who buys an expensive $200,000 car where only 100 were made and whines about how much it costs to fix after probably driving it way too loving fast.

I wasn't sure if this Richmond was gonna be the Bay Area one or the Virginia one and then it said Vancouver and I slapped myself because of course it happened in Vancouver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We have one here, too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InitialDave posted:

We have one here, too.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I mean, really, this story just had to have happened in Vancouver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Of the UK ones, I think the one near London is more likely to see a poorly-driven Aston than the North Yorkshire one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

InitialDave posted:

Of the UK ones, I think the one near London is more likely to see a poorly-driven Aston than the North Yorkshire one.

All the London Richmond means to me is a station on the District Line that I've never visited because I always got off at Kew and walked to the National Archives.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My experience of Vancouver confirms everything you are thinking about the owner of the Aston.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Really accents the awful wings on the step side toppers.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that made from OSB?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Is that made from OSB?

Wouldn't be the first time.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I bet it's 2 not 3 as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

Is that made from OSB?

Spared no expense.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Hey. They painted it, didn't they?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Memento posted:

And doesn't insure said expensive car for the full value, apparently. I love the insane expectation that the dealer take it back and refund her because she wrecked it and doesn't want it any more. Thats... not the way it works.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Darchangel posted:

And doesn't insure said expensive car for the full value, apparently. I love the insane expectation that the dealer take it back and refund her because she wrecked it and doesn't want it any more. Thats... not the way it works.

Where she comes from that's exactly how it works

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Darchangel posted:

She's a Chinese business student living in Vancouver who bought a supercar with a six-figure pricetag. Odds are that she's from some rich and powerful family back in China so she's accustomed to having everything done for her and never having to face responsibility for any of her mistakes until now.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I lost the pics when my old phone died, but there was a guy around town with the exact same OSB and topper setup but he also had a matching utility trailer with an OSB and topper set up the same height as the truck. Everything was painted flat black, he had his phone number on the sides out of those gold stick-on numbers from Home Depot. I had a peek inside and the framing wasn't square or particularly robust.

Dude was making bank for a while though, he had a courier service for appliances and large deliveries and could undercut pretty much everyone else. I'm guessing Vehicle Inspections pulled him off the road cos I haven't seen him in like a year.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She's a Chinese business student living in Vancouver who bought a supercar with a six-figure pricetag. Odds are that she's from some rich and powerful family back in China so she's accustomed to having everything done for her and never having to face responsibility for any of her mistakes until now.

From an article on housing sales in Vancouver

“It was pretty startling. This notion of people showing up with a big bag of cash isn’t really so much the case,” says Eby. “We have homemakers and students listed as buying $2-million to $3-million homes and qualifying for the mortgages.”

I remember reading another report listing recent home buyers and it was basically 2 columns, home maker on one and student on the other

If a student can afford a 2 million dollar home , a 200k car is really nothing. Unless this was all financed in which case i can see why she is a bit antsy about the repair bill lol

And like you said these are wealthy people sent over to Canada by their families , and given pretty much anything they could ever want or need

Accountability is not something they're used to dealing with

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

joat mon posted:

Hey. They painted it, didn't they?

I'm more interested in what gantry crane setup he used to place the cap on top.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm more interested in what gantry crane setup he used to place the cap on top.

Him and two buddies standing on buckets in the box.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Breakfast Feud posted:

Him and two buddies standing on buckets in the box.

Need a third one to hold their beers.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Truck caps rigged like that are a staple at the local farmers market. The florist types seem to be the prime offenders.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

StormDrain posted:

Really accents the awful wings on the step side toppers.

This guy deserves every bit of the MPG penalty for making this ugly rear end thing, and then driving it around forcing everyone to have to look at it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Looks like an outhouse on wheels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

Looks like an outhouse on wheels.

You call that an outhouse on wheels? this is an outhouse on wheels.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Powershift posted:

Ugh, and they parked next to a toilet, too!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I saw one of those with the back cut off (I guess?) and a soft top put on it last night.

Maybe it was something like this convertible conversion.
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/fj-cruiser/2007/road-test/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

I saw one of those with the back cut off (I guess?) and a soft top put on it last night.

Maybe it was something like this convertible conversion.
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/fj-cruiser/2007/road-test/

That inspired me to look into what my favorite convertible builder has been up to.

Well, gently caress.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is the Lexus unibody or body on frame?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CharlesM posted:

Is the Lexus unibody or body on frame?

Unibody has never stopped them before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Unibody has never stopped them before.

Oh yeah, look at this old post of mine in this thread I just remembered:

CharlesM posted:

Saw an Acura TL with a convertible conversion / racing stripe yesterday!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The convertible conversion looks semi competent at least.
But jesus the soft tops they do are just bad

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The brakes feel a little... Wooden :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I like the attention to detail with the lock baling wire. For safety.