Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You must obey the grid, even when there are surveying errors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I heard the slight jank in the all the roads after they cross Pandora was from a surveying error as well.

Also the narrow park between Pandora and uhh Pandora was also created out of this error.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

carry on then posted:

You must obey the grid, even when there are surveying errors

That looks like a correction line, not a surveying error.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PittTheElder posted:

Doesn't having a correction line inherently mean there was a surveying error you needed to fix?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

RaffyTaffy posted:

You must obey the grid.

Grand Juction CO
Those were likely 1/8 or 1/4 section agriculture plots that have been further divided down.

That's a major produce growing area of Colorado. Those farmers are not going to let a diagonal road be built on that side of the river.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Baronjutter posted:

Also the narrow park between Pandora and uhh Pandora was also created out of this error.

I hope they named it Harris Park after the surveyor!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fishmech posted:

Doesn't having a correction line inherently mean there was a surveying error you needed to fix?

No, it means they had to correct for the shape of the Earth not matching their measurements.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

...and any humor in the post is now dead and buried. :rip:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

While I was studying, I checked out an American surveying textbook that the library had. A good quarter of the book was devoted to the intricacies of the PLSS including at least a full chapter on all the little cheats like that that were necessary to map a round world into a rectangular system.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

I heard the slight jank in the all the roads after they cross Pandora was from a surveying error as well.

I think it's just a consequence of the bizarre surveying that was originally done by the Hudson's Bay Company. If you look at this map from 1855 you can see some of the weird stuff that's still reflected in the way the streets are set out today. On the north side of the Gorge the lots are long with a thin frontage on the Gorge, and the streets still run that way. Then there's the realignment north of Bay where the streets are square to... something? Nothing south of downtown is square to anything. Then you have separate grids in Esquimalt and Oak Bay and it's a wonder that anybody can get anywhere in Victoria.

By 1897 the city has a grown a bit, but those different grids are all still there.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow so many Vicgoons. Also yeah, grids formed separately then randomly met and everyone refused to change their street names so you'll get streets changing their names every time they cross one of our tiny municipal borders. Or just pointless poo poo like Richmond Ave. turning into Richmond Rd at a random point because gently caress you it's a road now. Not that road, street, or avenue has any meaning in victoria, totally random.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Over its 2 mile length, one of the streets near me has 5 seperate names. Only one of the name changes even matches up with a current or historic town/jurisdiction boundary.

I've highlighted the path of the street with thin red lines, and placed thick red lines at the start and end of the street, as well as each place the street name changes.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
My favorite local grid is Bellingham, Washington. The city is an amalgamation of four different cities that each had their own grids that ran somewhat parallel to the bay. Neighborhoods built post-amalgamation follow a completely different grid, and streets change names every time they pass from one grid to the next.

Downtown is full of one-way streets but most of the pairs don't reconnect cleanly when they leave downtown. Good luck with that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

Maybe :thejoke:, but no, it's a natural consequence of imposing a square grid onto a basically spherical surface. The correction lines are planned and periodic. At least in the Dominion Land Survey anyway, I imagine the US system it was based on did the same thing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm surprised that the distortion gets significant enough to matter over a distance of only a few miles.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's two major problems that cause it. The first is that all land has to be accounted for, there can't be any significant gaps or overlaps anywhere. The second is that all townships, sections, etc. throughout the system have to be the same area, whether they're in Phoenix or Athabasca. So you can't simply survey up a meridian because as you travel north your township boundary will eventually converge. So the more often you correct, the smaller your corrections have to be.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

PittTheElder posted:

It is indeed a correction line. ("Baseline Road" kinda gives it away)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well that's actually the confusing part to me, in Canada the correction lines are between the baselines, never on them. Might be different in the states though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Drove by 7-8 separate accidents this morning because of icy roads.

People are loving idiots.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Drove by 7-8 separate accidents this morning because of icy roads.

People are loving idiots.

In states where icy roads are a common problem do driver training programs include learning about how to handle them? Or do driving tests have a "icy road" section or something?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Yes the local DMV in every state that expects winter weather has an enclosed refrigerated icy road to test new drivers on.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

cheese-cube posted:

In states where icy roads are a common problem do driver training programs include learning about how to handle them? Or do driving tests have a "icy road" section or something?
I vaguely remember "here's how to break out of a skid" and similar stuff, but like most other driving lessons, it's easy for them to go in one ear and out the other unless you make a conscious effort to follow them after you get your license.

The main problem seems to be overconfidence because of having 4WD/AWD/an SUV/a pickup(none of which will magically save you if you don't know how to drive on snow and ice), like so:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Scandinavian countries yes, fairly intense instruction and testing including emergency maneuvers on icey conditions. In the us if you know a few traffic signs and can drive forward without hitting much you get to drive. It's not much better on Canada. Driving is an essential human right and making It expensive or hard to attain would cause a revolt

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chemmy posted:

Yes the local DMV in every state that expects winter weather has an enclosed refrigerated icy road to test new drivers on.

I didn't mean literally you dingus which is why I used quotes.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

What they really have is a giant slip n slide covered in used motor oil and some old cars to practice skidding around and if you smash up their designated slippery car it's no big deal the government picks up the tab.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Chemmy posted:

What they really have is a giant slip n slide covered in used motor oil and some old cars to practice skidding around and if you smash up their designated slippery car it's no big deal the government picks up the tab.
That's weird, they made us drive over a high-tech perfectly frictionless surface they developed and used only for driving tests.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My cousin's slippery driving test was done in a warehouse full of banana peels.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:lol: OK lesson learnt.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chemmy posted:

My cousin's slippery driving test was done in a warehouse full of banana peels.

What, no Koopa shells?

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

In Scandinavian countries yes, fairly intense instruction and testing including emergency maneuvers on icey conditions.

I recall Finland actually uses a skidpad to train new drivers. No Koopa shells, but sprinklers and maybe that rack that lifts the car up so it has less contact with the road.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aNtsWvNYKE
Great video on traffic safety, reactive vs systematic design, and traffic engineering in general.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
That's a neat video but holy hell that narrator is almost inaudible half the time.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Steelion posted:

That's a neat video but holy hell that narrator is almost inaudible half the time.

The narrator is hilariously bad.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

the FHWA finally gave the go-ahead to start the project to rebuild I-70 across east Denver:

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2017/01/19/feds-sign-off-on-1-2b-overhaul-of-i-70-across.html

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
NoVA is getting a diverging diamond at the I-66/US-15 interchange. It's unusual enough that there is a news article about it.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Whiz Palace posted:

I recall Finland actually uses a skidpad to train new drivers. No Koopa shells, but sprinklers and maybe that rack that lifts the car up so it has less contact with the road.

They use the sprinklers in Denmark. It is fun as hell when you have to brake as hard as possible to learn what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWeumS6bMw8

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a good effort post on causes and solutions of highway congestion?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pokie posted:

Is there a good effort post on causes

Cars

pokie posted:

and solutions of highway congestion?

Asphalt

Give me enough money, I'll tell you how to build the asphalt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pokie posted:

The cause of congestion is that too many cars are trying to use the road at the same time. The solution is to have fewer cars use the road at the same time.

The politically popular and thus oft executed strategy is to build more road. However, because induced demand is a thing, this will usually fail to achieve anything, and will essentially always fail in the long term.

Just go read all of Cichlidae's posts. Here's some good ones:

Cichlidae posted:

Let me answer your first question really quickly, because the second one is awesome and deserves its own post. The capacity of a freeway depends on the traffic composition I talked about earlier, the grade (slope) of the road, and the geometry of the roadway. On our freeways in Connecticut, we can get 2500 pcplpm (passenger cars per lane per mile) in good conditions, and 1500-1800 when the road is under construction.

One of the many paradoxes of traffic engineering is that traffic flows best when the road is mildly congested. Time to get technical!

We measure how smoothly traffic is flowing by LOS (Level Of Service). A is the best: you're the only one on the road, you can go as fast as you want. At LOS B, there are a couple other cars, but they don't impede you much. LOS C is a bit rougher, and you have to be careful when changing lanes. LOS D is quite stressful. Everyone's moving at a good clip, but you don't have much liberty. LOS E, you're going 10 below the speed limit and everyone's crammed in like sardines. Finally, at LOS F, it's stop-and-go, or just plain 'stop'.

You can see here that speed goes down as volume (and density) go up. However, since there are many more cars on the road at LOS E than at LOS A, even though they're going more slowly, the road is handling more traffic and therefore more efficient. Fascinating, eh? That's why a German road that's often congested can actually be better than an Italian road that nobody uses. Or maybe the Italians just can't drive. :)

Cichlidae posted:

Alright, it's time to learn about Congestion!

There are two kinds of congestion: recurring, and non-recurring.

RECURRING CONGESTION
This kind of congestion occurs on a regular basis (duh), usually between 6-9 AM and 3-6 PM on weekdays, and around noon on weekends. It's a result of demand exceeding capacity. Remember how roads are most efficient at LOS E, right at the edge of breakdown? That is what scientists would call an unstable equilibrium. Add just a few more cars, and you hit the breakpoint. I'm posting this graph again so you can see; the lower-right graph best shows what I'm talking about.

Once you hit that breakpoint (volume = capacity), drivers get uncomfortable and start slowing down. You see a wave of brake lights. Cars get closer together, capacity drops since everyone's moving slower, and the jam spreads backward. This applies to all roads and all kinds of congestion, even red lights. The big difference is that, in recurring congestion, it's caused by demand increasing, while in non-recurring, it's caused by capacity decreasing.

As you can see, this queue of LOS F, represented by red, spreads upstream. The length of the queue is dependent on two factors: the flow rate upstream, usually about 2200 veh. per lane per hour at LOS E, and the rate at which traffic can depart from a standing queue (green cars to the right), usually around 1500 vplph. When the number arriving is greater than the number leaving, then the queue will keep growing. When it's less, it'll shrink and eventually disappear. For recurring congestion, this only happens once the peak hour is over and the volume drops significantly.

NON-RECURRING CONGESTION
This has a lot of causes: a traffic accident, construction closing a lane or a ramp, bad weather, an elephant walking down the middle of the road... Like I said, the capacity of the road drops. For as long as the capacity is lower than the demand, the queue will build. At some point, it'll be restored, and the queue dissipates. Here's a handy graph showing how we estimate queues, and I'll even leave out the Greek letters, just for you!

The X axis represents time, and the Y axis represents a quantity of cars. Therefore, the slope of lines, cars/time, is a rate. When the arrival rate exceeds the departure rate, a queue builds up, shown in red. Eventually, the departure rate increases, and the queue dissipates. The rest should be self-explanatory, but let me know if you don't get anything.

So the last part of the question is how do we prevent them. For any kind of congestion, there are two means of prevention: increasing capacity and lowering demand. Increasing capacity means adding more lanes, adding a bypass, or increasing the speeds. Reducing demand means getting cars off the road, whether it's by putting people on buses, getting them to carpool, or putting up tolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

pokie posted:

Land use patterns that force the use of cars to get around.
Better land use, infrastructure that makes driving the least attractive option, and tons of transit.

The absolute worst solution that doesn't work is building wider highways, but we keep doing it.