Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Dear god. Anyways Derrick Rose is having a hell of a game, he's going to earn that max contract!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Zogo cracking me up by posting arrested dude's WS

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

NickRoweFillea posted:

Zogo cracking me up by posting arrested dude's WS

Who's the best arrested player by advanced stats? Probably Allen Iverson, right? Also Dennis Rodman is up there if they get him on that hit and run thing.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

I don't know them well but I'm sure they will be producing top quality work that TT will totally ignore.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

At one point Bill Russell probably got arrested for being black in Boston so it's probably him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Also, Rockets through Blazers era Pippen had such smooth handles, loved his game during this time period but do advanced stats prove he was actually bad?

Granted it was a long time ago and I was younger so I did a lot of win/loss based analysis but I remember him being Bad as a Rocket. Turned into a 3 and D guy, but not very accurate

Although a quick glance at bbr says he shot above his career average from 3 (though it still wasn't very good, 34%)

His points per 36 dropped from where they had been hovering around 20 for years to 13 and never recovered after that, and he had what to that point was a career low in shooting percentage

This is also back in the day when it was hard to watch anything but your local team, especially since I didn't have cable, so may expectations were probably a bit unrealistic

Also Kareem has been arrested for DUI

e: also for possession, apparently

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 12, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chunkles posted:

Who's the best arrested player by advanced stats? Probably Allen Iverson, right? Also Dennis Rodman is up there if they get him on that hit and run thing.

I'm guessing Draymond is the best active player that has been arrested. No idea who it would be historically. Recent greats Jason Kidd and Kobe both were arrested.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Brolander posted:

cocked that joint back and banged on him

I put a semicolon when I write that sentence out even if it's not technically correct.
"Cocked that joint back; banged on 'em."
The pause is spoken perfectly and deserves some sort of acknowledgement, like a perfect rest in a sarangi piece, the evocative silence between notes in a piece by Ustad Sultan Khan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSJcYT0uAA

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I just don't have the energy to make my "Scottie Pippen is the most overrated player in NBA history" argument right now but it's still what I believe.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Rick please

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

BWV posted:

At one point Bill Russell probably got arrested for being black in Boston so it's probably him.

Very smoothly done

Rick posted:

I just don't have the energy to make my "Scottie Pippen is the most overrated player in NBA history" argument right now but it's still what I believe.

I need to see it sometime please

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

Kareem is the all-time WS leader and they pulled him over for DWB then arrested him for his herbal scents (15 years ago so people pretended it was a big deal)

edit: oops

Intruder posted:

Also Kareem has been arrested for DUI

e: also for possession, apparently

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

EvanTH posted:

I put a semicolon when I write that sentence out even if it's not technically correct.
"Cocked that joint back; banged on 'em."
The pause is spoken perfectly and deserves some sort of acknowledgement, like a perfect rest in a sarangi piece, the evocative silence between notes in a piece by Ustad Sultan Khan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZSJcYT0uAA

I think the semicolon there is beautiful and I would do the same.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rondo to Timberwolves, changes his name to Rondeau

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

looking forward to rose's why can't i get a max contract press conference

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Quite a team Vlade built
https://twitter.com/CarmichaelDave/status/819357037343608832/photo/1

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rick posted:

what the

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/espnnba/status/819341480175304704

ANIMORPHS

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Make the post Rick

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Zogo posted:

Not bad but overrated due to playing alongside Jordan for so many years.

Oh come on. 6 seasons of 11+ win shares, 2 seasons over .2 ws/48, and no good stats to capture the best part of his game. His dropoff after the Bulls wasn't (primarily) that he wasn't next to Jordan anymore, it was that he was old and in bad health.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
We even had a season and a half of Pippen without Jordan and he was an MVP candidate so

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's crazy that Pippen got paid so much after the Bulls run. His back was totally shot and he wasn't that good in the final championship season. Still can't believe they beat the Pacers.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Personally I would consider Scottie Pippen at least in the top 30 of all time. I really just wanted to post this dunk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srl2Bwh6A3I

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I love to call games and I love this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEKK3GVd150
I hope Knicks lose every game and get the number one pick

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/TylerIAm/status/819355304467005440

Never quote me again about how great any player in this era was.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sixers coming for you, Charlotte

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dexo posted:

Lmao at the way the defender just feebly collapses to his knees

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/819368245002194944

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

hmm shades of those videos where justin bieber crossing up his backup dancers

edit: which I can't link because he's deleted all those instagram posts because people laughed at them

Papercut posted:

Lmao at the way the defender just feebly collapses to his knees

well he is around 90 years old + dead

edit: i wonder if i meant to write "is crossing" or if it was supposed to read "crosses"

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 12, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

hmm shades of those videos where justin bieber crossing up his backup dancers

edit: which I can't link because he's deleted all those instagram posts because people laughed at them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJCZY3u8DR8

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/819373236341403649

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

I don't know them well but I'm sure they will be producing top quality work that TT will totally ignore.

I applied for a data position reporting to Morey today. If any of your buddies are applying can you stab them for me to improve my chances? Thanks.

(it sounded pretty entry level so I don't know if anyone already involved with teams would be gunning for it, but I also know these things tend to be hella competitive so who knows)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Fine.

First off, overrated doesn't mean bad. It doesn't mean not great. But he basically only existed offensively as an extension of Michael Jordan deciding and basically only has two good (not great) seasons without Michael Jordan. His defense was truly great, for a while, but when it tailed off, no one admitted it. I feel he's very similar to an upper-middle class's (using the "poor man's" "rich man's")Andre Iguodala.

But, this is a guy who people--without a hint of irony--sometimes tried to say was better than Michael Jordan, or the reason why the Bulls won championships. Or that he was an all time 50 best player. And I'm not just talking about idiot friends or talk radio callers, this was said by people paid to talk about basketball on television. Beyond that, this guy routinely gets put on people's top ten of all time players lists.

It's hard to assail his 93-94 season, his numbers in his first complete year without Jordan are great. But look at the numbers of other good players that very same year. Pippen ticks a lot of boxes, but in most statistical categories there were 7-8 players better than him (or more). If this guy was really historically great without MJ, why wasn't he a top three player that year? A year mind you that is one of the weakest years of professional basketball to ever be played. The Bulls were too small for the Knicks (just like they would be too small for the Magic a year later), so I don't blame him for not being able to stop that, although I can't forget him being a baby and checking himself out of the game in the playoffs.

His career past Jordan speaks for itself, although that isn't to say people at the time ever recognized this. To the very end he was talked about as an elite player. His best post Jordan year, 99-00, he was once again on a completely stacked team where he had to do very little he was absolutely required to do on his own and once again didn't have to face a double team very often. And he had the classic overrated player playoff series that year, where he had two monster offensive games in the series that people often cite as evidence of his greatness, but no one ever remembers the five other average or straight up bad offensive games that series, and that might also be the point where he started to become a defensive liability (and one of the key reasons the Lakers ended up prevailing that year), yet for years afterwords his defense would be lauded, even though he was pretty much a bad basketball player in the following years.

I can't help but think if you put a motivated, in shape Lattrell Spreewell or Jim Jackson, or a time traveling, slightly older Jerry Stackhouse in that same spot that they don't duplicate or surpass Pippen's accomplishments.

Again, very good player. Great, under if you accept calling him one of the better roleplayers ever, if the word "roleplayer" can be used non-pejoratively for once. MJ needed someone else to handle the ball so they couldn't double team him the whole way down the court, and someone to take the most difficult defensive matchups most nights and someone who could score and set up teammates while being single covered (because teams were too afraid to double team him with Jordan on the floor). The Blazers needed a big ball handler at a point when the NBA was largely built around bigger guards initiating offense but still wanted to play Damon Stoudamire big minutes, and they needed his defense (which in the end he could no longer provide). Those were essential roles and he filled them excellently. For that, he should be a hall of famer (not to mention the fact, that the criteria for the NBA hall of fame is literally fame, and he's one of the most famous basketball players ever).

But he doesn't belong on any sort of basketball top ten list or Mount Rushmore or whatever thing people have tried to put him on over the years. He's the James Worthy, Derek Fisher tier of player who were tremendously important to great teams winning and thus deserve high honors . . . but they were there because of some other true all time great player.

I hereby declare that I will not reply to any Zogo or Zogo-style piecemeal quotes of this post and derail this thread for ten pages.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

lol I spent a good thirty seconds staring at my screen trying to find boogie

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Found it embedded in some clickbait, I was thinking this one where he's wearing yellow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNp8pONlYWs&t=19s

maybe 5 years ago at MSG they were doing a celebs at the game up on the jumbotron bit and they showed Bieber and most of the arena started booing and I'm thinking, what an odd life. Here's thousands and thousands of grownups booing this teenage kid, he gets less than no respect from every dude on the planet, people say they hate him for the crime of making normal sugar pop plus there are millions of crying girls who would murder their own sister just to touch his hands once. There's no way that guy can grow up to be a normal person. I kinda felt sympathetic, musta been isolating, strange and unhealthy.

Cut forward several years when I saw that video of him dribbling and all that sympathy vanished with a single "hard" look back the camera.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 12, 2017

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

Sixers should trade for CJ McCollum and KJ McDaniels and play them with TJ McConnell

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I read in that FBI report that Vladimir Putin is blackmailing Mike D'Antoni to play Corey Brewer heavy minutes

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I thought the Pippen comparison people agreed on was Shawn Marion

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

chunkles posted:

I read in that FBI report that Vladimir Putin is blackmailing Mike D'Antoni to play Corey Brewer heavy minutes

Every coach everywhere always loves Corey Brewer. I think he is one of those gym rat, practice heros that always goes the extra mile but then isn't very good in an actual game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

chunkles posted:

I thought that report was only about people getting pissed on, not poo poo on

• Locked thread