Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick is right the press and hype pippen got in the 90s was unreal. People did say he was better than Jordan .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

pippen carried MJs trash rear end

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Pippen is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Jordan, does that mean Magic is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Kareem?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Rick posted:

I hereby declare that I will not reply to any Zogo or Zogo-style piecemeal quotes of this post and derail this thread for ten pages.
And I hereby declare that endlessly reevaluating Jordan and Jordan-related players and circumstances is not a derail but one of the central pursuits of any grown basketball mind and should be encouraged.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Spacebump posted:

If Pippen is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Jordan, does that mean Magic is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Kareem?

Magic is overrated.

edit: also, this is one of the better NBA photos of the year so far.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

Kobe is much better because he had 3 good seasons without Shaq/Pau

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

I thought the Pippen comparison people agreed on was Shawn Marion

Shawn Marion was never the type of guy who could dial his own number or create for his teammates, Iguodala at least had a few years where he could do that and still shows(ed? haven't seen it this season much).

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
Pippen was an athletic specimen and was decent to really good at almost everything both ways. But what's overlooked is that he had a natural feel for the game that put him in the right place at the right time to do a lot of things that won't show up on a stat sheet. It's kind of a cliche, but I've seen him poke balls loose, tip rebounds (before it was popular), catch oops, bother opposing offenses at all positions, and generally help a play unfold the right way. He had a head for the game, and Scottie on your team (unless it's that Rockets season) helps you win in a dozen little ways.

That Rockets season was also an aberration, because Tomjanovich tried to turn him into a spot up catch-and-shoot 3 point shooter. It's not really his best usage, and it didn't take long for him to fall into a pout spiral that year.

Please Eat A Vegetable fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Spacebump posted:

Pippen isn't overrated because he only had two good seasons without Jordan, he's overrated because people said he was better than Jordan.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

Pippen isn't overrated because he only had two good seasons without Jordan, he's overrated because people said he was better than Jordan.

That's a fair point. Anyone that thinks Pippen>Jordan does overrate him. I just wouldn't consider him overrated in general because I can't imagine many people hold that opinion.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Magic is overrated.

Magic is the GOAT pg.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

I don't know of anyone who really believes that right now and during the time people said it it was mostly as a counter-argument to the idolization. It seems a pretty strawy man to argue against.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I don't even know what's going on, everyone knew who was the robin in that relationship.

Pippen was culturally boxed in as sidekick. How can that guy get overrated?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers won lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sixers won lmao

And the Timberwolves beat Houston

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lockback posted:

And the Timberwolves beat Houston

Wow nice win for the wolves . How did they slow down the rockets ?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Spacebump posted:

That's a fair point. Anyone that thinks Pippen>Jordan does overrate him. I just wouldn't consider him overrated in general because I can't imagine many people hold that opinion.
This.

quote:

Magic is the GOAT pg.

Probably, but I'm curious as to how well he would translate into the modern era without a decent outside shot and mediocre defense.

Also, LOL at McConnel's Wikipedia entry.

https://twitter.com/GodSon83/status/819378404067864577

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

I don't know of anyone who really believes that right now and during the time people said it it was mostly as a counter-argument to the idolization. It seems a pretty strawy man to argue against.

It's something that has definitely not been passed on to "the new generation" of NBA fans, which is good. But this is my most overrated player list, and I can't forget the ten years plus I had to hear that poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Rebounding and fast breaks. They did a decent job contesting the 3 and the rockets helped by shooting pretty bad.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Magic is the GOAT pg.

Oscar :colbert:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Derrick Rose with the very strange -21 plus/minus on 25 points and 11/16 shooting

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

I'm an old enough goon to remember this. It was very much a sports media effort to have new/different storylines.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

The strategy most teams have used against the Hornicans the last several years: play them without Eric Gordon.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kicks should really pull the plug on this year and use their pick to hopefully pair a young guard with zingis. Zingis is dying on this team. Send melo away.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

Kicks should really pull the plug on this year and use their pick to hopefully pair a young guard with zingis. Zingis is dying on this team. Send melo away.

Melo looks like he's really aged this year.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Plus minus is a bullshit Stat. Tony Snell would regularly out perform players on the Bulls using that stat.

I refuse to acknowledge it.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Plus minus is a bullshit Stat. Tony Snell would regularly out perform players on the Bulls using that stat.

I refuse to acknowledge it.

I'm not sure you understand what it means, it's not a measure of individual performance

Anyways what I was saying is the Knicks are miserable playing with Derrick Rose even when he's playing well

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'm not sure you understand what it means, it's not a measure of individual performance

FAKE NEWS!

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

FAKE NEWS!

Lol

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
John Wall needs x-rays for his hurt right wrist. He also has a hurt pinky. That boy ain't right.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

That's true. It usually went like "Jordan wasn't that great because Pippen was Secret LeBron without the ad campaigns."

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
There won't be any more Jordans or Kobes because nowadays angry teens spend their nights getting calmed down by ASMR videos. A whole generation of potential predators derailed by the tingles

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
BPM and VORP say that Pippen had a better prime than Kobe.

So I know which advanced stats are my new favorite.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

https://twitter.com/ChristianCrosby/status/819386763026296833

I hope my future children turn out this amazingly full of life and charisma

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

EvanTH posted:

Found it embedded in some clickbait, I was thinking this one where he's wearing yellow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNp8pONlYWs&t=19s

maybe 5 years ago at MSG they were doing a celebs at the game up on the jumbotron bit and they showed Bieber and most of the arena started booing and I'm thinking, what an odd life. Here's thousands and thousands of grownups booing this teenage kid, he gets less than no respect from every dude on the planet, people say they hate him for the crime of making normal sugar pop plus there are millions of crying girls who would murder their own sister just to touch his hands once. There's no way that guy can grow up to be a normal person. I kinda felt sympathetic, musta been isolating, strange and unhealthy.

Cut forward several years when I saw that video of him dribbling and all that sympathy vanished with a single "hard" look back the camera.

He actually has a pretty decent mean mug game

Pippen fell apart without Jordan because his access to steroids was gone

euphronius posted:

A number of things. They outrebounded them by 17. The Rockets were super slow getting back in transition. The Rockets shot like trash garbage babies from three. The Wolves went on several long hot streaks where they couldn't seem to miss.

That's why it was not just a win but a blowout win for the Wolves

The Rockets had zero answer whatsoever for Towns

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 12, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sixers won lmao

WTF how? They were down like double digits with a couple minutes left.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Rebounding and fast breaks. They did a decent job contesting the 3 and the rockets helped by shooting pretty bad.

Also I only saw KAT take one stupid shot which is at least four below his average.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Niwrad posted:

WTF how? They were down like double digits with a couple minutes left.

Embiid scored 8 points in about 90 seconds.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Intruder posted:

The Rockets shot like trash garbage babies from three.

I know it sucks watching guys miss threes, I bitch about it unnecessarily all the time, but if they'd made one more three they would have technically been above their season average for 3p%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
I had never seen this clip before and it makes me love Vince Carter even more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP8LQz0IKLM

• Locked thread