Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i mean most webtoons read terribly because of the format. its a shame i guess but its understandable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the format works fine for scrolling through on your phone which is what they're made for

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I like the format for the same reason I use kissmanga instead of other sites for manga, it's nice to have everything on a single page. I can't imagine it translating great to a printed from, but it's way nicer to just scroll down through a chapter of something than to click through page after individual page.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Everything Burrito posted:

the format works fine for scrolling through on your phone which is what they're made for

Yeah, the problem is when the white background makes it impossible to tell if an image didn't load or the author used some whitespace.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

Yeah, the problem is when the white background makes it impossible to tell if an image didn't load or the author used some whitespace.

yeah IIRC Line Webtoon has a pattern background so you can see when it doesn't load, but I also haven't updated the app in forever so that may have changed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

any action series on webtoons people recommend. Only ones i'm reading at the minute are noblesse, gohs, ToG and gamer. Magician once its eventually caught up and kubera when i can read a bunch at once because it moves so slowly

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lmao Franky giving no fucks is the best part of Noblesse

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

any action series on webtoons people recommend. Only ones i'm reading at the minute are noblesse, gohs, ToG and gamer. Magician once its eventually caught up and kubera when i can read a bunch at once because it moves so slowly

Idk, check out all the superhero stuff. I started reading Bad Guys and it seems pretty good, but not in a shonen action way. Has more of a comicbook feel to it.

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

I like Sidekicks

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/noblesse/ep-447/viewer?title_no=87&episode_no=448

You know, I feel like Noblesse's best moments are nothing but these moments, and I love it every time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/noblesse/ep-447/viewer?title_no=87&episode_no=448

You know, I feel like Noblesse's best moments are nothing but these moments, and I love it every time.

I love it so much

was literally like "oh gently caress YES" out loud haha

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is pretty lovely that the enemy that has driven raizel further than ever before is just some big mindless monster. he was always gonna burn his life away, but this is a dumb way to do it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is pretty lovely that the enemy that has driven raizel further than ever before is just some big mindless monster. he was always gonna burn his life away, but this is a dumb way to do it.

I'm actually pretty impressed that they seem to actually be making the life force burning thing stick.

Also the panel of Frankenstein's cut was super good use of the webtoons long format :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know, Raizel would probably have en easier time against enemies if he didn't tank literally every attack. He'll just stand there while an enemy charges up some gently caress-off attack and then take it head on.

edit: Or, in the case of this fight, stand there and wait for the enemy to regenerate after each major attack, ensuring that his previous efforts go to waste.

edit2: Oh wait, he actually did dodge something in chapter 446! It's a miracle.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
If you were effectively a godlike being who has perhaps only once, maybe twice (Muzaka and Rai's brother) before in your life (against his brother, unless he gg,wp him too) been pushed to your limits, then I'd imagine you too would lack a discerning sense of danger.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
being dignified while fighting is really important to raizel. he has to no-sell attacks because it is tied into the pride of his position and race.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
crap I opened the Type Moon thread because it has the same tag and was right above this one :mad:

Rai please stop looking cool and doing badass poo poo because you just threw up a bunch of death flags along with all that blood :ohdear:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I would legitimately be laughing and clapping like an American in a movie theater if Rai actually does die, but somehow transfers his powers to that human red head guy who uses them in his martial arts and the webcomic basically turns into The Breaker, but with vampires and werewolves.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Gologle posted:

I would legitimately be laughing and clapping like an American in a movie theater if Rai actually does die, but somehow transfers his powers to that human red head guy who uses them in his martial arts and the webcomic basically turns into The Breaker, but with vampires and werewolves.

Even if he could transfer his power, the human kids are like the very last people he'd want to give it to. It'd be Noblesse: M21 is relevant now!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

was it ever explained if there were previous noblesse?

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I just want a plot dump about how exactly Frankenstein's power works and why it was a bad idea for everyone to copy off of his work. Also, I imagine Frankestein would go out of his way to somehow keep Rai alive but all hosed up and dark spear alive.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Dark Spear is a bunch of human and other souls all angry and vying for control and vengeance.

As for the body modifications it seems he just stuck booby traps in his notes or something

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shugojin posted:

Even if he could transfer his power, the human kids are like the very last people he'd want to give it to. It'd be Noblesse: M21 is relevant now!

M21 has actually been pretty relevant for a while now, at least relative to the rest of the supporting cast. He's about as strong as a strong werewolf and can temporarily avoid being dominated by even the top werewolf warriors (who are basically the equivalent of vampire clan leaders). He was also pretty relevant to this whole werewolf plot, what with his capture leading to this whole battle.

It's Takeo who has jack-all to do now (at least the other guy is in charge of their home's security technology or something). And the kids, of course. I feel bad that the red-head guy hasn't had more of a role, since it was really badass when he took on some superhuman thing early in the comic with just his human strength.

edit: I also finally got around to reading the end of Girls of the Wild's. I just skipped to the last chapter (I had last stopped reading soon after Queen and Jaegu had made their interest explicit and Jaegu rejected her for some dumb reason). Apparently Korean romcoms can also have stupid "the girl and guy are randomly separated and find each other at the last moment in an epilogue" endings.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 7, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
M21's character arc has been IMO the best developed since he has remained relevant for the entire comic and has grown from weakass enemy mook to underdog hero -- provided he continues to get new abilities and continues to be plot relevant as things move forward I think you could make an argument that he's one of the story's primary main characters alongside Rai and Frankie and I think it's about time he got another boost to his fighting level to put him closer to the top tier. More than any of the others he seems to be limited primarily by his own hangups and has the potential to keep up with the power creep as they keep pulling abilities for him out of their asses.

I'm not expecting actual death but probably another long coma that takes Rai out of the story for a while until they figure out some new gimmick to give him more juice but who knows. One of the main themes is the old guard passing the torch to the next generation and nobody is older than Rai at this point so he probably will have to pick a successor at some point or decide that the Noblesse is a position that is no longer needed at all.

I probably think about Noblesse way more than it deserves lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
lol what

:rip: titan

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Some sort of... blood-based gravity attack?

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Supermassive bloodhole.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I think he just sent that dude to the blood dimension

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I read this Lezhin webtoon called "4 Cut Hero" and while it has some Dumb Anime Bullshit I found it thoroughly entertaining and the artist is really great at conveying a sense of things like motion, speed, impact, etc during fight scenes. There are also some pretty great dragon battles.

It starts out like a pure gag manga for the first few chapters, but once the plot kicks in it's actually a pretty decent fantasy plot.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I checked on where Magician had gotten up to and it just started Season 3. Does anybody know where the previous translation got to before the official one came out?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think its only a few chapters away from where the scans stopped for whatever reason

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jose posted:

I think its only a few chapters away from where the scans stopped for whatever reason

It stopped because Naver wanted to start doing official translations and started coming after translators. Same reason the old Tower of God translations stopped. Fortunately, ToG was picked up from the latest chapter, whereas Magician started at the beginning.

The old translations for Magician I believe went right up to season 3, so I'm planning a re-read now myself. It's been a really long time.

Sarcophallus fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 20, 2017

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sarcophallus posted:

The old translations for Magician I believe went right up to season 3, so I'm planning a re-read now myself. It's been a really long time.

That's what I was thinking but couldn't remember and didn't want to start digging around on my phone since manga websites tend to have nasty mobile ads. I'm still deciding if I want to start from the beginning or just pick up at the start of S2 for a re-read.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda miss The Breaker.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of The Breaker, there was an interesting chapter at some point where the authors discussed going to Paris for some Japan Expo. They mentioned how Korean Manhwa had this one small booth all by itself and they were really worried about being completely ignored, but that they were really happy/surprised with the number of foreign fans and how the foreign enthusiasm actually seemed greater than the enthusiasm among Korean fans. I think at one point they mention how they never expected to see people cosplaying as the characters they invented. They also discussed the issue of scans and mentioned how the whole "take down when licensed" principle doesn't really exist in Korea (so it's pretty much a net negative for the authors there) but they were interested to hear about how many people learned about their series through Western scans.

The artist apparently drew custom drawings (+ signature) for a limited set of people who signed up beforehand. That's be really neat, because the artist for the The Breaker (the artist and writer are separate) is really good.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I've been spending more and more time over on webtoons, I've grown to really love many of the series they have there.

Tower of God and The Gamer being the best, but after that i've been reading and enjoying Catharsis, Dice, Unordinary, Guardians of the Video Game, Kubera, and most recently Soul Cartel and SID.

I know a lot of people dislike the webtoons format (One long scroll page) but I find it perfectly fine. If naver had a booth in my local comic convention (Salt Lake Comic Con) I'd go visit and buy stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

I know a lot of people dislike the webtoons format (One long scroll page) but I find it perfectly fine. If naver had a booth in my local comic convention (Salt Lake Comic Con) I'd go visit and buy stuff.

I think the webtoons format is perfectly suited to smart phones (moreso than a regular comic format), which is the medium they're meant to be read on in the first place. I think a lot of the negative sentiment comes from them being read on scanlation sites where they're split up into pages.

I also think that webtoons are also sorta like a merging of comics and television. You can see this in the way a lot of webtoons have "seasons" and previews and stuff.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

I think a lot of the negative sentiment comes from them being read on scanlation sites where they're split up into pages.

That could be. I read them on PC, but I read them on Naver's site and I usually bump up my scroll wheel to scroll more than usual so the format is perfectly fine to me.

I'm gonna finish SID then start in on God of High School. After that I'll catch up on Noblesse, but then I'll need a new series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, it seems like unOrdinary is actually written by a native English speaker. Webtoons carries a number of Western comics in addition to the translated Korean stuff. unOrdinary is pretty rough around the edges, but it still managed to entertain me and make me curious about where the plot is going, so the artist managed to do something right. The recent arc doesn't make much sense, though; before becoming friends with Sera the main character was apparently also bullied constantly and stayed chill about it, but for some reason 1 week of bullying + having his phone broken while Sera was suspended made him lose his poo poo and go grimdark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Yeah, and some of those original English works on Webtoons're actually pretty good. But they're probably beyond the premise of this thread, I guess.