Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Even as a highly biased Pat-Advocate, I feel Pat needs to shut the gently caress up in this LP and save his "advice" exclusively for whenever Woolie leaves an area without finding all the content. Even a +2 Partizan would be totally manageable for this zone in terms of damage, you don't loving need to keep the drake sword until +4, Pat, you madman; YOU HAVE SO MUCH TITANITE ALREADY.

The way he kept telling Woolie to block the darts with a non-magic shield in a purely dodge-based bossfight, when even Woolie began to realise he was just rolling too early, really brought my piss to a boil. I swear if Pat's as obtuse about the living tree that guards the frog-ray area as he was about the Arty gate bonfire, I'm going to blow a gourd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

they'll get through the game and it'll be okay.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Captain Invictus posted:

Game grumps have done some good videos in the past but the format of 11 minute videos combined with their knack of not finishing games means I almost never watch anything they put out.

I really wanna like Game Grumps cause I like both Arin and Danny a bunch, but yeah 10 minute videos in the year two-thousand seventeen is dumb as hell.

Like really come on guys you don't need to be a producer channel or whatever to go above 10m on youtube anymore and you have a gorillion people watching your stuff, I don't think you need to try and multiply the ads that hard.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Justice Sloth posted:

Even as a highly biased Pat-Advocate, I feel Pat needs to shut the gently caress up in this LP and save his "advice" exclusively for whenever Woolie leaves an area without finding all the content. Even a +2 Partizan would be totally manageable for this zone in terms of damage, you don't loving need to keep the drake sword until +4, Pat, you madman; YOU HAVE SO MUCH TITANITE ALREADY.

The way he kept telling Woolie to block the darts with a non-magic shield in a purely dodge-based bossfight, when even Woolie began to realise he was just rolling too early, really brought my piss to a boil. I swear if Pat's as obtuse about the living tree that guards the frog-ray area as he was about the Arty gate bonfire, I'm going to blow a gourd.

As someone who only done this area of the game for the first time a few days ago: Getting +5 before you progress here is REALLY easy, because the Balder Knights drop shards really often. I just done a few circuits around the Undead Parish, and had my halberd at +5 within about 40 minutes. They totally could do it offscreen.

Pat just really, really values that Drake Sword, despite the fact that they've basically hit the point of the game where you can easily replace it.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Getting +5 before you progress here is REALLY easy

The truly maddening thing is Pat himself, in the very same episode, says that: Dark Souls 1 is a game that allows you to pick up a weapon at any time and catch up, as opposed to Bloodborne which forces you to commit to one or two.

And he's right! So take your own advice, you despicable candy-hermit! What the hell is wrong with you?!

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
My favorite thing is how they keep juggling armor to keep fast roll while wearing lovely and heavy knight shield.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Forgall posted:

My favorite thing is how they keep juggling armor to keep fast roll while wearing lovely and heavy knight shield.

No gloves, no pants, no helmet, but definitely keeping the shield that's objectively worse than one you can just BUY from Andre.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well poo poo I beat dark souls 1 last december and you fucks are making me feel real bad about using the knight shield a bunch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Monaghan posted:

Well poo poo I beat dark souls 1 last december and you fucks are making me feel real bad about using the knight shield a bunch.

Never feel bad about beating DS

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Did Pat say that Woolie shouldn't upgrade, I thought he said "you can do this whenever you want, although the Drake Sword is gonna be better for a while and we can grind off-screen". Woolie just decided to march on with the Drake Sword for now.

Also the Knight Shield looks cool and isn't that what Souls is all about.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Alright, since it's obviously coming up soon, I'm putting the over/under on Woolie getting his rear end kicked by Capra Demon at 6 deaths.

Who wants to take this action?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He's gonna die once, if that, and Pat's gonna be super salty

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Alright, since it's obviously coming up soon, I'm putting the over/under on Woolie getting his rear end kicked by Capra Demon at 6 deaths.

Who wants to take this action?
I'm putting 3 on the dogs, and 2 on Capra before beating him on the 6th attempt.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Monaghan posted:

the knight shield is decent, its just real heavy for what it does.

man i remember back when dark souls was first released and the hollow soldiers shield was like the defacto best medium shield in the game. good times.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Monaghan posted:

There's nothing wrong with using it if you're new, hell that's why most new players latch onto it in the first place. It looks great and that's what counts, anyone who tells you stats actually matter in Dark Souls is a barefaced liar.

But self-purported, if not proclaimed, Dark Souls 1 expert Pat should know that, not only is it subpar in general, but completely counter-productive to the low-equip percentage build he seems to be enforcing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I want a Fume Knight scenario with Capra. Capra and Four Kings are my two most anticipated boss fights.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pat doesn't claim to be a dark souls expert lol, he's probably played it much less than a lot of people in this thread. Hell he tells Paige he's just middling when explaining to her why people get so angry about their souls LPs.

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.
Yeah, that's why I said "if not proclaimed".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Pat made the biggest mistake someone can make on the Internet, say "I think I know a bit about X and it's my favorite game".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Where did Pat get this idea that you only level up damage stats exactly enough to use a weapon in DS1? Is it a pvp thing?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Where did Pat get this idea that you only level up damage stats exactly enough to use a weapon in DS1? Is it a pvp thing?

It's a "Pat has to suck the dick of the almighty Endurance stat" thing. Can't increase your scaling stats until you've hit 40 Endurance, after all.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Okay, so we give Pat poo poo for that, but I think it makes quite a bit of sense for an LP. We don't know what Woolie is gonna stick with, so might as well not commit to any build for a while, especially considering Woolie sucks and making him a glass cannon is a terrible idea.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Was there any announcement for a stream of the Switch event?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

I believe they said they would.

No idea where I remember hearing it, may have just been randomly on a Pat stream.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's a good idea in general. Especially early in the game, stat scaling in DS1 is pretty slim. Better equipment does more to improve your performance than stat scaling, so in general wearing good armor and carrying a good weapon does more than giving one of those up to do an extra 10% damage.

Of course, it all breaks down if you use all that equip weight to carry a single too-heavy shield, one piece of armor, and then die constantly in one or two attacks. If Woolie was rocking that sweet elite knight armor and his lighter 100% shield, he'd be medium rolling (twice as much equipment, which means each point of endurance improves him even more) and he could take a blow from the butterfly without dying instantly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Mystic Mongol posted:

Of course, it all breaks down if you use all that equip weight to carry a single too-heavy shield, one piece of armor, and then die constantly in one or two attacks. If Woolie was rocking that sweet elite knight armor and his lighter 100% shield, he'd be medium rolling (twice as much equipment, which means each point of endurance improves him even more) and he could take a blow from the butterfly without dying instantly.

I'm proud that this is the loadout I've gone for, and came to it on my own :allears:. I'm running with +5 Halberd, Dragon Crest Shield and Elite Knight armour, I'm totally expecting this to carry me to at least the vicinity of the end of the game as long as I keep upgrading the halberd.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
You guys have to remember: it's not Pat and Woolie playing...

It's Chewie and Fuckface.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Liam has a fancy green screen like the true twitch pros

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

HGH posted:

In the podcast, but they were a bit iffy on it. Best wait 'till they announce it on their social medias

Justice Sloth
Jun 10, 2012

Damn skippy.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm proud that this is the loadout I've gone for, and came to it on my own :allears:. I'm running with +5 Halberd, Dragon Crest Shield and Elite Knight armour, I'm totally expecting this to carry me to at least the vicinity of the end of the game as long as I keep upgrading the halberd.

That Halberd is straight dope, if you're still early game, consider making it lightning +5 at your earliest convenience and you'll body everything, especially dragons. You absolutely can take it to lategame, where +15 normal reinforcement gives it more damage overall than lightning; relative to your str/dex. If one drops for you, check out the Black Knight Shield too, it has excellent stats and looks fresh to death.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My first playthrough (before they nerfed lightning weapons on ps3) was a lightning gargoyle halberd and the moonlight butterfly shield. Doing 1100 damage per captain america throw since the shield scaled off of your right hand weapon's attack was hilarious.

Unpatched Dark Souls 1 was amazing.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is cyborg justice some super hard game because they're getting wrecked on Easy

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's an old genesis game, so probably.

Wait, made by Novotrade?! The same as the Ecco people?!

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Justice Sloth posted:

There's nothing wrong with using it if you're new, hell that's why most new players latch onto it in the first place. It looks great and that's what counts, anyone who tells you stats actually matter in Dark Souls is a barefaced liar.

But self-purported, if not proclaimed, Dark Souls 1 expert Pat should know that, not only is it subpar in general, but completely counter-productive to the low-equip percentage build he seems to be enforcing.

Pat tried to push the heater shield but inertia took over.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Woolie should really try using the halberd on an enemy then he'll truly see how much it loving owns

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Mesothelioma posted:

Woolie should really try using the halberd on an enemy then he'll truly see how much it loving owns

Maybe Pat should tell him that Halberds have a stagger animation if you don't hit anything with them...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

good news he did, several times

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Tae posted:

Is cyborg justice some super hard game because they're getting wrecked on Easy

It's slow and your moves have weird inconsistent inputs and the difficulty is balanced in a really cheap way where later enemies just no-sell your moves and grab you whenever they want, that sort of thing. It's not impossible, I beat it as a kid and I'm no prodigy, but it definitely isn't fair and you'll get bored with it long before you figure out how to cheese the AI.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm quite interested to see how Woolie does on capra demon. I didn't realise it was out of the ordinary to beat it first time until a friend told me afterwards. Then again, I wasn't wearing one piece of armour and a weapon with a poo poo move set.

Also it is really boiling my piss that he hasn't properly tried to beat the titanite demon yet. Other than the butterfly and gargoyles this LP has been nothing but breezing through trivialised content so far because Pat's advice is more relevant to someone on their third or fourth play through than their first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I'm quite interested to see how Woolie does on capra demon. I didn't realise it was out of the ordinary to beat it first time until a friend told me afterwards. Then again, I wasn't wearing one piece of armour and a weapon with a poo poo move set.

Also it is really boiling my piss that he hasn't properly tried to beat the titanite demon yet. Other than the butterfly and gargoyles this LP has been nothing but breezing through trivialised content so far because Pat's advice is more relevant to someone on their third or fourth play through than their first.

Capra demon is really easy (compared to most bosses) if you have enough poise to not get staggered by the dogs so it's very playstyle dependent. Anyway, I don't think Woolie is going to have much trouble with Capra has so much souls experience.

On the other hand, I didn't expect him to have problems with the moonlight butterfly either so :shrug:.