Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The site is better now since Devin got fired. Hulk's stopped with the caplocks for his articles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I've never actually read any substantial piece of writing by Film Crit Hulk on account of everything about his presentation is deeply unappealing. What kind of critical / analytical perspective does he typically bring

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still like Blair Witch :unsmith:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The site is better now since Devin got fired. Hulk's stopped with the caplocks for his articles too.

You know that film crit hulk is Devin Faraci right

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like him mostly because his pieces are mostly about structure, character, and kind of just general film 101 stuff but through a slightly more cerebral lens.

Something I can grasp unlike, anything written by SMG. I guess he's not for everyone, but he's helped me in writing scripts and what not.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

no?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Film Crit Hulk was mild mannered scientist Film Crit Bruce Banner.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Internet leads me to believe Film Crit Hulk is not Devin Faraci.

Almost more entertaining than Donald Toilet is the pathetic mewling dirtbags from 4chan going "it was us all along, we owned you all by making everyone believe our golden boy is a pissbitch." Epic ownage. :rolleyes:

Piss Donald is real and good.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

How bad is LAX as an airport? I have a business trip and have to choose between it and John Wayne Airport.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Egbert Souse posted:

How bad is LAX as an airport? I have a business trip and have to choose between it and John Wayne Airport.

It's only bad if you're flying American in my limited experience

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I just realized we never got our listing of who rated the last thread and what they rated it

gently caress, I don't care about the ratings but I wanted to see what the new names for most frequent posters were.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

I like him mostly because his pieces are mostly about structure, character, and kind of just general film 101 stuff but through a slightly more cerebral lens.

Something I can grasp unlike, anything written by SMG. I guess he's not for everyone, but he's helped me in writing scripts and what not.

Please don't use Film Critic Hulk for screenplay tips.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why not?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Someone who's whole gimmick is declaritive statements in CAPSLOCK isn't a good writing coach.

Given your interest in screen writing your hatred of SMG makes a bit more sense, he almost never talks about the screenplay of a film, he looks more at cinematography, editing, direction, and when he's casting shade on Avengers, the blocking.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jenny Angel posted:

I've never actually read any substantial piece of writing by Film Crit Hulk on account of everything about his presentation is deeply unappealing. What kind of critical / analytical perspective does he typically bring

Unironic woke Plinkett.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Skwirl posted:

gently caress, I don't care about the ratings but I wanted to see what the new names for most frequent posters were.

Hmm, well if some1 else wants to do the work & make some drat graphs heres the data!!

4/12/14 - 10/2/14: General Chat: Woop woop, you wonderful old savings and loan! : https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3624784

10/2/14 - 3/12/15: GenChat: This is that goon poo poo, gently caress up your whole afternoon poo poo :https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3669287

3/12/15 - 1/1/17: GenChat: Tell me something I don't already know : https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3706088

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Skwirl posted:

Someone who's whole gimmick is declaritive statements in CAPSLOCK isn't a good writing coach.

Given your interest in screen writing your hatred of SMG makes a bit more sense, he almost never talks about the screenplay of a film, he looks more at cinematography, editing, direction, and when he's casting shade on Avengers, the blocking.

I think you mean "it".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Egbert Souse posted:

Perfectly fine. Never had issues.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

That's not so much my issue with him, as is his whole style of readings. I'll be honest, politics in general just don't interest me that much. Sometimes they do, but on a whole, ehhh. I'd rather read someone break down films in the way Hulk does, where he talks about film techniques and why they work, and why they don't.

SMG saying Hulk is an "unwoke Plinkett" is pretty much what I like about Hulk's stuff. I'd rather listen to a Plinkett than a Armond White. I'll get something out of Plinkett that will help me in the long run when it comes to making my own stuff.

Which is what Hulk helped me with, with his screen play book.

Like half the reason I watch films is to learn something about making them, or crafting stories. It's just what I'm into.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Did he write a whole book in caps

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
the tedium is the message

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

GIMMICK MAKE YOU TAKE ARGUMENT SERIOUSLY AS DESERVES

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FishBulb posted:

Did he write a whole book in caps

Sadly yeah.

He also released a non-Caps version too. He doesn't do the hulk speak too much though. Outside of "Look, Hulk knows..."

I dunno, I learned a lot. Maybe learning how to write effective characters and stuff isn't everyone's interest, and that's cool.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

I dunno, I learned a lot. Maybe learning how to write effective characters and stuff isn't everyone's interest, and that's cool.

You approach the creation of an artwork as a technical problem to be solved, because you fear adversity.

I will review your screenplay, and you will have access to a power beyond your imaginings. If you wish.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If you do, I want you to read my work and react to it with emotion and feeling, rather than like....whatever the hell you react to movies with. I just don't think you will help me, I mean, I could give it a try, gently caress I could even post it right here on this thread because It's a billion pages long and I don't think anyone's read it, or if they have maybe they think it's completely terrible and don't want to say anything. Which is fair. But that is something I'd like to know.

I just don't really understand the way you view movies man. It's completely alien to me.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

If you do, I want you to read my work and react to it with emotion and feeling, rather than like....whatever the hell you react to movies with. I just don't think you will help me, I mean, I could give it a try, gently caress I could even post it right here on this thread because It's a billion pages long and I don't think anyone's read it, or if they have maybe they think it's completely terrible and don't want to say anything. Which is fair. But that is something I'd like to know.

I just don't really understand the way you view movies man. It's completely alien to me.

Well i would say smg approaches film as humanism...and that require actuality caring about the well being of mankind as a whole... despite being a chatbot

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unironic woke Plinkett.

[softly, gently] Yikes

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
CelticPredator: if after my feedback on your short film, you still want to hear feedback from me, I will certainly read your screenplay.

Wait, how many pages was it again?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Unironic woke Plinkett.

I think we can close the thread now because nothing that follows will be as devastating as this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snak posted:

CelticPredator: if after my feedback on your short film, you still want to hear feedback from me, I will certainly read your screenplay.

Wait, how many pages was it again?

It's really dang long. 160 pages.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Egbert Souse posted:

LAX, because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JivQ6akRng

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Okay but, it's still like, short for a novel. So yeah, I'll read it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Unironic woke Plinkett.

Dang.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

CelticPredator posted:

Oh dang I'd be interested to give it a read.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

From this information alone I can tell you your screenplay is complete poo poo. At least a quarter of it is redundant crap that doesn't need to be there.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
My screen play is exactly one page long.

Okay, it's actually an inkpen sketch on the back of an envelope of Darth Vader holding a giant laser cannon.

Edit: Oh, poo poo, I think someone threw it away. Dammit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mecha Gojira posted:

My screen play is exactly one page long.

Okay, it's actually an inkpen sketch on the back of an envelope of Darth Vader holding a giant laser cannon.

I think Rogue One style your screen play

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

What is it about?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

I think Rogue One style your screen play

It's a shame "Darth Vader cuts space cruiser in half with a giant lightsaber" never made it into the final draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

From this information alone I can tell you your screenplay is complete poo poo. At least a quarter of it is redundant crap that doesn't need to be there.

Yeah, I know. The question is what. It's hard to know by yourself. You can't just assume your script is great or bad. That's why you need help sometimes. You never really know. You can have a feeling, but others might be like "no that's important! THIS other thing isn't important."
Like from Film Crit Hulk, or other SA posters like Snak and CPL, who gave me some good, honest feedback on a short I'm iffy about. I'm still iffy on it, but I have an idea of what I can fix, make a bit better.

But uh, the script is what my old Zim fan film turned into, plus various ideas I've had since I was a kid. Just a silly script about a paranormal obsessed teenager, who everyone hates, wanting to find aliens, finds them, is horrified and has to fight them with some reluctant kids who really don't like the kid all that much. Also about obsession and alienating yourself due to your obsessions, and the journey to over come them.

I want to make it into a film, but not quite sure how yet. So I'm trying to make it into a comic now, just to see what happens.

• Locked thread