Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

MadBimber posted:

:crossarms:

we really need a :bioware:

Well we already have
:edi: :legion: :liara: :mordin: :shepface: :shepicide: :shepspends: :sicknasty: :tali: :zaeed:

Drifter posted:

Kaiden's a little bitch, though. If that's what kaiden says then the others probably just say, "I'm glad you're back, dude, you had me worried for a bit, there."

Nah, I think they all say the same thing going off a very cursory look on youtube just now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Helith posted:

Well we already have
:edi: :legion: :liara: :mordin: :shepface: :shepicide: :shepspends: :sicknasty: :tali: :zaeed:

:speculate:

<:mad:>

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

Kaiden's a little bitch, though. If that's what kaiden says then the others probably just say, "I'm glad you're back, dude, you had me worried for a bit, there."

You're a little bitch.

We'll bang, okay?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I keep thinking about how much better ME3 would be if you were just building up space/ground forces to survive/kill the Reaper threat instead of the McGuffin Star Child.

Space Armadas take out Reaper destroyers/transports/Processor ships while Shepard leads the fight on the ground against Harbinger with the vast armies he's gathered throughout the three games, each making appearances in different sections to reward the player for their efforts. Living team-mates also contribute in various cutscenes to make the fight more manageable for Shepard and his squad as they bare down on the final boss. Shepard's final scene is him living/dying and saving/losing the galaxy to the reapers. The End.

Hire me Blizzard, this poo poo writes itself without the retarded McGuffin Star Child.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Basically the Siege of Denerim, but a whole game.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Thor-Stryker posted:

Shepard and his squad as they bare down on the final boss.

They'll bang, okay?

Also there's a mod that cuts out the starchild from the dreams and there's another one that cuts him out of the ending altogether. It takes you straight to the destroy ending after the TIM and Anderson bit.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 12, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

marshmallow creep posted:

Basically the Siege of Denerim, but a whole game.

Also, the final battle is over the Citadel ala Return of the Jedi Death Star redux, or over the Prothean homeworld or some poo poo. Not this stupid concrete slab of London.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Helith posted:

They'll bang, okay?

Also there's a mod that cuts out the starchild from the dreams and there's another one that cuts him out of the ending altogether. It takes you straight to the destroy ending after the TIM and Anderson bit.

The mod that removes the slow-walking dream sequences sounds like a must have mod.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

The mod that removes the slow-walking dream sequences sounds like a must have mod.

it's pretty sweet

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Thor-Stryker posted:

I keep thinking about how much better ME3 would be if you were just building up space/ground forces to survive/kill the Reaper threat instead of the McGuffin Star Child.

Space Armadas take out Reaper destroyers/transports/Processor ships while Shepard leads the fight on the ground against Harbinger with the vast armies he's gathered throughout the three games, each making appearances in different sections to reward the player for their efforts. Living team-mates also contribute in various cutscenes to make the fight more manageable for Shepard and his squad as they bare down on the final boss. Shepard's final scene is him living/dying and saving/losing the galaxy to the reapers. The End.

Hire me Blizzard, this poo poo writes itself without the retarded McGuffin Star Child.

Yeah, I always thought it'd be cool if you could spend your war assets/score on upgrades for the final confrontation instead of them just being static. Things like reconstructing the canon that created the derelict reaper in ME2 or fitting ships with weaponry reversed engineered from Sovereign. As unbeatable as the reapers were meant to be the entire series is based around how far off schedule "doomsday" is this time around, and they never really play that up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, I always thought it'd be cool if you could spend your war assets/score on upgrades for the final confrontation instead of them just being static. Things like reconstructing the canon that created the derelict reaper in ME2 or fitting ships with weaponry reversed engineered from Sovereign. As unbeatable as the reapers were meant to be the entire series is based around how far off schedule "doomsday" is this time around, and they never really play that up.

They actually DID refit several ships with scaled down versions of Sovereign's main gun. The Thanix technology that was put on the SR2 was fitted into.... missiles. Because you want to fire off liquid metal at relativistic velocities, so naturally you hinder it by putting them in slow rear end guided munitions.

And proceeded to miss a ton of shots. I'm always thinking back to the crazy gunnery sergeant chewing out his servicemen for not getting a firing lock in Mass Effect 2. These shots keep going until they hit something. loving galactic fleet probably did more damage to earth than the Reapers with all those shots slamming into the planet.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

They actually DID refit several ships with scaled down versions of Sovereign's main gun. The Thanix technology that was put on the SR2 was fitted into.... missiles. Because you want to fire off liquid metal at relativistic velocities, so naturally you hinder it by putting them in slow rear end guided munitions.

And proceeded to miss a ton of shots. I'm always thinking back to the crazy gunnery sergeant chewing out his servicemen for not getting a firing lock in Mass Effect 2. These shots keep going until they hit something. loving galactic fleet probably did more damage to earth than the Reapers with all those shots slamming into the planet.

Each missile has little tiny parachutes attached to the back end so when they miss a reaper and hit the atmosphere parachutes pop and they gently float down to the planet's surface.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's weird because Sovereign clearly wasn't using liquid metal in ME1. He had flat out lasers.

Then ME2 made it into liquid metal and made it completely different to ME1's depiction.

Then ME3 just slapped Thanix onto things despite the fact that it makes no sense as a missile payload or general descriptor.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Even just taking into account the fact the Reapers needed the Citadel ploy which was taken off the table. That should have led to something very different.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't really read the codex poo poo, so I don't really care whether the guns are shavings or magazines/thermal or whatever, nor do I care about what Thanix Cannons are.

Milky Moor posted:

Even just taking into account the fact the Reapers needed the Citadel ploy which was taken off the table. That should have led to something very different.

I thought the Citadel Ploy was just to speed up their travel time to kick off the invasion/destruction. But then they get here, what, only two years later? That didn't really save them a whole bunch of time.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 12, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

I thought the Citadel Ploy was just to speed up their travel time to kick off the invasion/destruction.
It also would have let them control the mass relays, making it impossible for an organised opposition to form.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Drifter posted:

I thought the Citadel Ploy was just to speed up their travel time to kick off the invasion/destruction. But then they get here, what, only two years later? That didn't really save them a whole bunch of time.

I think the idea is that it's a decapitating strike at the center of galactic government, which through a combination of factors ends up being the Citadel. Otherwise they have to creep in from the edges of the galaxy which allows a more effective resistance to mount.

It may not save much time but I'd imagine it takes quite a bit of energy to slowboat your way in from dark space. They never really mentioned that as a factor though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It also would have let them control the mass relays, making it impossible for an organised opposition to form.

Reapers should have reaped themselves for being super-robot retards. God-like crab robot can't even capture a loving base despite 100 million years of practice.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Milky Moor posted:

This really makes no sense when you take into account the lore saying that the Rachni wars were a result of Sovereign influencing the Rachni. Why did it wait however many hundreds of years (actually the Sovereign page on the wiki states it was looking for over a millennium) to try again with Saren instead of just summoning the Reaper fleet to slowboat it which apparently takes only 3 years or so?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't really read the codex poo poo, so I don't really care whether the guns are shavings or magazines/thermal or whatever, nor do I care about what Thanix Cannons are.

apparently originally they could control the relay system from the citadel, but that got borked after you screwed everything up in ME1

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I don't think the Reapers care about things like "organised resistance" or whether they're on time to a Reaping. They didn't need the Citadel trap either. The cycle cannot be broken.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Drifter posted:

Get a load of this nerd over here.

quote:

Two years later and completely undetected, hitting the entire galaxy simultaneously.

It's not like an 'organised resistance' (that some posters are mentioning) actually mattered either come ME3.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't think the Reapers care about things like "organised resistance" or whether they're on time to a Reaping. They didn't need the Citadel trap either. The cycle cannot be broken.

It's what they did to the Protheans, according to Virgil.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the more organized the resistance, the more likely they are to lose one of the "memories of an entire species" Reaper, which seems like it would be a big deal to them?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Was there ever an explanation why the Human Reaper that the collectors were building was a big metal robot, skull and all?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I love how they could have used ME2 to explain how the reapers were advancing regardless of their setbacks on ME1. But noooo, ME2 was just about a stupid as poo poo reaper plot to create reapers that was so failure prone it was hilarious. ME2 ends with the reapers far away exactly as it began.

And then they ran out of time and options in ME3 and bam, ok, reapers are here. Which made ME2's plan even more retarded considering how well one single planet was holding off a full armada of them. It has been a while, but how did they expect their plan on ME2 to even work?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Phrosphor posted:

Was there ever an explanation why the Human Reaper that the collectors were building was a big metal robot, skull and all?

Well the Reapers as we knew them were based on the Leviathans. The human Reaper was to be a replacement construct or some such poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
they got the number of eyes wrong

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Drifter posted:

I think it was primarily so they could take out the heart of galactic civilization (the citadel) immediately and thus completely cripple any defenses the inhabitants of the milky way had. 2 years isn't a lot of time but it still allowed a lot of things to happen and since the reapers couldn't just teleport into the heart of everything the races managed a big defense anyway.

to speak nothing of the fact that it was the citadel that ultimately defeated the reapers so it makes sense that the reapers want control of it asap

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

fuckin

how many eyes do the humans have Bob?!

I... I dunno, like... 3?

NO you loving IDIOT

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Pobody's Nerfect! -Harbinger, 22nd Century

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

I think it was primarily so they could take out the heart of galactic civilization (the citadel) immediately and thus completely cripple any defenses the inhabitants of the milky way had. 2 years isn't a lot of time but it still allowed a lot of things to happen and since the reapers couldn't just teleport into the heart of everything the races managed a big defense anyway.

to speak nothing of the fact that it was the citadel that ultimately defeated the reapers so it makes sense that the reapers want control of it asap

There's also the fact that somehow they didn't give a poo poo about their plan being thwarted for the first time ever in ME1 and completely losing access to the citadel.

But for some reason they only started moving towards the plan B offensive after ME2 where they lost.. a half finished reaper and some thrall aliens.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
WELL their plan woulda worked if it wasn't for that dastardly commander shepard!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Phrosphor posted:

EA don't think the players are smart.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It was a cool image and the skeleton was going to be built into the hull.

Check out the Reapers in the final ME2 cinematic, they're all vastly different in appearance but still have a similar vague teardrop shape. There's even a hammerhead-looking one.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

and then that completely disappears for me3!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

also saying that all Stinkbugs look completely different is, I think, a little much

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do Reapers have cloacas?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bongo Bill posted:

Do Reapers have cloacas?
Yeah, don't you remember shooting it with a laser on Rannoch?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

It was a cool image and the skeleton was going to be built into the hull.

Check out the Reapers in the final ME2 cinematic, they're all vastly different in appearance but still have a similar vague teardrop shape. There's even a hammerhead-looking one.

I would totally love a Reaper with a metal human on the prow, like the dragon head of a Viking ship. That would be so loving :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

JawKnee posted:

and then that completely disappears for me3!

What was the excuse for that again? They were too lazy to render all the different designs? Lol