Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Original_Z posted:

Hey man, he cheated us out of a good finals by completely figuring out VG's draft and developing a strategy to counter it and lead his team to TI victory. What kind of captain does that?

PPD, if I remember correctly :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
xiao8 should've taken a page out of ti3 finals and 322'd the first 2 games to make it more exciting

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

I too hate it when a team destined for a championship shows weakness by successfully showing consistent dominating gameplay.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Drunk Canuck posted:

I too hate it when a team destined for a championship shows weakness by successfully showing consistent dominating gameplay.

consistent dominating gameplay like their group stage.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kild posted:

consistent dominating gameplay like their group stage.

This.

All of you fuckers forgot about ti4 as a whole.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

This.

All of you fuckers forgot about ti4 as a whole.

I remember it

I ate a really good pizza and had some good moscow mules

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Nox has a new custom game out that includes item bans during the draft, pre-hero pick/ban phase. Probably OP, but also allows teams to ban out lovely builds du jour.

Odds that makes it to 7.xx CM? <0.5%?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

TI4 was really good until the grand finals, then it was a ritual execution that was tough to watch

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Zurreco posted:

Nox has a new custom game out that includes item bans during the draft, pre-hero pick/ban phase. Probably OP, but also allows teams to ban out lovely builds du jour.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 0%

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Zurreco posted:

Stop posting about item bans god dammit!!!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I hope Sunsfan does an item ban tournament. I'm voting boots, bottle, tangos and salves.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

TI4 was really good until the grand finals, then it was a ritual execution that was tough to watch

This is the correct TI4 recollection. Also the weird bracket that led to Newbee qualifying for the grand finals many days in advance after stinking up the joint in the group stages.

Zurreco posted:

I like the idea of custom games but trying to play any is an exercise in frustration. Makes me sad.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Stop posting about item bans god dammit!!!

I'll never stop hoping for ways to get around cheesy builds, sorry.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Where'd the regular, non-pro dota 2 thread go?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

jon joe posted:

No one plays dota 2 anymore. Didn't you miss the discussion we had a week or so ago? STATS DONT LIE.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

jon joe posted:

if you can't find it you don't need to see it.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Yo if you get Popoviched its your own drat fault get on his level

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
TI4 was a great tournament overall and Newbee was in my opinion one of the more 'deserving' TI winners, it's just that VG had a really one-note playstyle that tournament and for whatever reason no team but Newbee figured it out so you had a really lovely final. Hate on DK and EG instead for being stomped by a dumb push strat

The Upper Bracket final between EG and Newbee was pretty good iirc so you can just see that as the real final

e; oh yeah, and the format was very bad. Only 8 teams at the main event and the entire upper bracket was played on day 1 so you knew that Newbee was top 2 straight away.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 11, 2017

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Talking about TI4 made me look up this old classic :v:

https://gfycat.com/QuarterlyNextHarvestmouse

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

If you cheer for Chinese teams and aren't from China you're the worst.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Wezlar posted:

If you cheer for Chinese teams and aren't from China you're the worst.

What kind of an idiot doesn't cheer for Wings?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Kainser posted:

Talking about TI4 made me look up this old classic :v:

https://gfycat.com/QuarterlyNextHarvestmouse

Oh you just reminded me of this TI4 comic. The correct TI4 ending:

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

Kainser posted:

TI4 was a great tournament overall and Newbee was in my opinion one of the more 'deserving' TI winners, it's just that VG had a really one-note playstyle that tournament and for whatever reason no team but Newbee figured it out so you had a really lovely final. Hate on DK and EG instead for being stomped by a dumb push strat

The Upper Bracket final between EG and Newbee was pretty good iirc so you can just see that as the real final

e; oh yeah, and the format was very bad. Only 8 teams at the main event and the entire upper bracket was played on day 1 so you knew that Newbee was top 2 straight away.

I went to TI4 and it was great. Except the finals was a let down, just like everyone says.

But yeah, basically VG was doing the unthinkable at TI4 -- they were slow sieging teams to death while being even or sometimes slightly behind. In Doto then, you generally needed around 10k gold/xp advantage (and maybe aegis) to safely slow siege in competitive. Everyone knew they were going to do it, and no one could stop it. They crushed everyone besides Newbee, who had them figured out the entire tournament. After they 2-0'd DK, THAT DK TEAM WITH EVERYONE ON IT, you knew they were unstoppable. EG had that game where PPD was on alch support and they won somehow late, it was exciting but they couldn't hang on and lost 2-1 -- that was the last great moment of TI4. It was crazy because EG loses game 1 in under 20. Wins game 2 around 45mins, and then loses game 3 in under 20mins again. They just couldn't stop the push.

In the finals I think this is what happened: they baited the Sylar's NP pick and with that dictated the playstyle VG was going to use. They already had a very predictable style -- with NP drafted nothing was uncertain. Every single game in the final 3 (all losses) they took NP and played that threatening push style. NP makes it work so well when he can unexpectedly be with the team and create a creep wave. None of this really matters because of extremely effective counterplay and drafts NP becomes a tough, mobile, range creep. Rhasta's wards and Brewmaster's "I can't die in the midgame" ult really played to their advantage. I remember going to the after party and asking Akke why no one ever picked KotL against these 12-15min deathball push lineups and he said he didn't really know and Alliance might've tried it had they made the bracket.

Sups fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 11, 2017

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
EG gave Void to mason instead of uni and mason whiffed a gimme chronosphere :shrug:

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
EG got third at TI4 with Mason playing carry holy poo poo it's like I wiped that memory from my mind.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

mikeraskol posted:

EG got third at TI4 with Mason playing carry holy poo poo it's like I wiped that memory from my mind.
Mason with a pool of about three heroes.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
DC got second and Moo had a hero pool of 1.5.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Mason is the greatest carry player NA has ever seen.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Watching Zai's stream is making me look forward to Monkey getting nerfed to poo poo since people have now figured out how to play it

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

more like dICK posted:

DC got second and Moo had a hero pool of 1.5.

what was the .5, the 1 is clearly timber

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
he played beast, void, and tide in the EG series

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Elyv posted:

what was the .5, the 1 is clearly timber

Beast master. He actually played lots heroes on the main stage, but was such a level above on timber

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
In two years of PUB gaming, I've never seen a Beastmaster, I'm not sure they exist, I think I'm getting gaslit

Ladderface
Jul 30, 2005

Mmmm-HHHMMMmmm...
WESG finally starting on https://www.twitch.tv/dotastarladder_en

BIg ol reaction to a first pick Meepo for Xcalibur on Horde.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ladderface posted:

WESG finally starting on https://www.twitch.tv/dotastarladder_en

BIg ol reaction to a first pick Meepo for Xcalibur on Horde.

Well you've convinced me to turn it on

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
This Meepo is pretty good at farming while his team gets slaughtered.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dear eSports deity,
I never thought I'd see Resolution/Dendi vs the Peruvian Taunt-Spammers. Please let this game not suck.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Meanwhile on the BTS stream we have: "Next : Newbee.B vs TBD - DAC2017 Pre Qualifiers w/ @Xyclopzz @LysanderXonora"

Shame I can't stay up and watch either of these clusterfucks

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

Dear eSports deity,
I never thought I'd see Resolution/Dendi vs the Peruvian Taunt-Spammers. Please let this game not suck.

what team is unknown back as and when are they playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
KOTARO HAYAMA schooling dudes who have a combined 15 trips to TI between them.

Booyah- posted:

what team is unknown back as and when are they playing?

Unknown became Infamous and still has Kotaro (mnz), Accel, and usually has Greedy but he's not in China with them for this tournament. Ztok was banned from Valve events but is at this thing on Dilecom. Atun (blankspace/tauntspam/itemdrop) is not at this event and presently the Jimmy Ho of Peru (i.e. rotating teams that keep collapsing)

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 12, 2017

• Locked thread