Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowmankilla posted:

So this is even worse today. Something called kernel_task is using over 700 mb or ram. Any idea what that is and how to stop it? Its also using 8% of the cpu for 4 hours?

Entirely normal. Kernel_task does the system’s low‐level activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Platystemon posted:

Entirely normal. Kernel_task does the system’s low‐level activities.

Ok. Then any other reason that when I am using Safari with 4 tabs open I am getting the beachball every few min? It is out of the blue, and it is my first Mac, so I have no idea what is causing this. It has happened 2 time in the amount of time it has taken me to type this.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

How does this setup fare on the task of taking 100 files that make up a project you are working on and arranging them in folders?

Not great. The fact you can't really drag and drop definitely hurts. There are definite limitations that I'm sure will be improved upon in the OS or within the apps.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowmankilla posted:

Ok. Then any other reason that when I am using Safari with 4 tabs open I am getting the beachball every few min? It is out of the blue, and it is my first Mac, so I have no idea what is causing this. It has happened 2 time in the amount of time it has taken me to type this.

It only happens on Safari?

Try browsing on a guest/new user account and see if it happens there. If not, there’s probably something wrong with your Safari configuration.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
The apple ecosystem is iOS. You're either going to see comps running iOS or comps are gone. MacOS is done, to them, I feel. Most people just don't need a file system anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kernel task is the OS

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kernel task is the OS

It handles requests from user mode though so a misbehaving application asking the kernel for a lot of dumb poo poo would cause a runaway kernel task

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Krispy Kareem posted:

even SSH into a Cisco switch. It wasn't perfect, but it worked. The only problems were a somewhat awkward SSH client and the lack of multiple monitors. Both of which will eventually improve.

Hey, question, since the topic has come up: is it possible yet to do an ssh tunnel from an iOS device? Say I want to forward port 12345 on the local device to port 80 of a box visible to the ssh host, and then I can just open the device's web browser and point it to localhost:12345. (For unix geeks: "ssh -L 12345:192.168.1.19:80 username@example.foo") This is straightforward enough on Android, but I never found a way on iPhone. It's been several years though, and I don't currently have one available to mess with, so maybe that's been fixed by now.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rear end Catchcum posted:

I don't mean to be rude, but how do you all not see that Apple is pulling out of the desktop game altogether, and, quite possibly, the laptop game as well?

Desktops: Mac Pro is dead. Mac mini is dead. iMac it has been two years and now, for the first time since I can remember, they are advertising 3rd party displays instead of their own.

Laptops: loving touchbar on a pro?

The worst case scenario that I envision is that MacBook Pros continue to get boring revisions indefinitely, solely because macOS & Swift are integral to third party iOS development. (Of course, their main Swift guy leaving for Tesla doesn't have a nice ring to it.) There's no graceful exit plan for macOS devices as long as iPhones continue to be Apple's big money maker. If iPhones are still killing it 5 years from now, a 2016 MacBook Pro starting at like $1600 is gonna be a really hard sale to non-corporate buyers interested in making apps. They'll probably just keep updating the MacBook Pro line annually, tossing in some "exciting" new quirk like the touchbar every couple of years.

What really could happen very soon is the iPad Pro replaces the MacBook line altogether for development purposes. As a recent CS graduate, that's exciting and terrifying at the same time. Not that I'm necessarily interested in iOS development, but it's a prospect, you know? I'd totally get into it in its current state as a job, but if I had to do it on a little 10" screen and weird little foldy keyboard... eh...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My large pro and keyboard cover is awesome. I love it. I also like the new MacBook keyboard too so...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tablets loving suck for web browsing and everything else people act like they kick a laptop's rear end at

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Buca di Bepis posted:

Tablets loving suck for web browsing and everything else people act like they kick a laptop's rear end at

:agreed:

The best part of recent OS versions is the ability to do more poo poo on the computer that used to require handling the phone.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have an iPad Air 2 and hardly ever use it because I use a phone and iMac. Pry MacOS from my cold dead hand mother fucker.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

I have an iPad Air 2 and hardly ever use it because I use a phone and iMac. Pry MacOS from my cold dead hand mother fucker.

I have an iMac 5k, a iPad Air 2, an ancient 2009 MP, and an iPhone. My MacBook Pro is docked at home, and my iMac is at my office. Which means I use my phone and my air a LOT for browsing, and if I want to get basic work done at a coffee shop. A portable blu tooth keyboard, and it's a very similar (but smaller screen) experience to working from my main machines.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

On a desktop Mac note, I recently picked up a 2011 Mac mini i7 with the 256 MB Radeon 6630M, and was surprised that it can actually output via the Thunderbolt/mDP to a 3440x1440 monitor at 60 Hz. Regardless of what I do with my 2012 i7 2.3 Mac mini, I couldn't get it past 50 Hz PAL.

Kinda surprised the 6630M can drive it but the HD4000 GPU couldn't.

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Some Apple praise:

My 2013 Macbook Pro screen started looking super janky and weird last month. It looked like it was getting permanently stained but on the inside, with ugly splotches slowly spreading across the image. I took it to the fruit stand to see what was possible and the Apple store guy immediately diagnosed it as the anti-reflective coating going bad and told me it was covered under a special extended warranty. They replaced my four-year-old laptop screen free of charge.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

rear end Catchcum posted:

Laptops: loving touchbar on a pro?

Have you used it for more than a few days? I don't mind it at all and I'm even getting some muscle memory for the more specialized buttons.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I just don't think that it's a pro feature and certainly not in a trade off with the things they took away or could have added.

eames
May 9, 2009

Apple's Senior Director of Design also left for Tesla. He led the design teams for the Touchbar, the new MBP, the trashcan and the MacBook Air. :crossarms:

https://9to5mac.com/2017/01/11/matt-casebolt-touchbar-macbook/

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

If the iPad Pro had some developer mode with Finder, Terminal and Xcode I would give it a shot. Would like a mouse though too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eames posted:

Apple's Senior Director of Design also left for Tesla. He led the design teams for the Touchbar, the new MBP, the trashcan and the MacBook Air. :crossarms:

The thread is so conflicted.

On the one hand: senior people are leaving Apple. Sad!

On the other, the things he designed are bad things.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Platystemon posted:

The thread is so conflicted.

On the one hand: senior people are leaving Apple. Sad!

On the other, the things he designed are bad things.

I mean, he designed what he was asked to design. The Air was a great concept, the Mac Pro was a great engineering feat, but a bad workstation.

What this looks like, though, if a lack of progress happening at Apple when it comes to non-iOS devices. He probably realized he could go design cool hardware for Tesla cars that would challenge him creatively, rather than just focussing on rearranging iPhone internals for another decade. Does make me pessimistic that Mac hardware progress is pretty dead, asides from the portables. iMacs are gonna continue to basically be laptops attached to gigantic displays, with crappy mobile video cards to keep them pointlessly thin.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 12, 2017

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

eames posted:

so this guy literally made the worst parts of their best products... touchbar, making the pro a trashcan with no internal upgradability and the bottom opening ports of the macbook air.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Why was the Mac Pro Trashcan a bad workstation?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

eriddy posted:

Why was the Mac Pro Trashcan a bad workstation?

Because the only component that has been making significant technological progress over the past 3 years, the GPU, isn't upgradable. Most of the complaints about the Mac Pro are solvable, but that particular one isn't. The computer's an engineering feat, but it's not quite as long term investment worthy as the older Mac Pros were.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

IanTheM posted:

Because the only component that has been making significant technological progress over the past 3 years, the GPU, isn't upgradable.

:eng101: Not quite true. The tMac Pro's GPUs are totally removable and upgradeable, and Apple even tried to make that a minor selling point at the time. The problem is that nobody bothered to ever make any new GPUs for it and any corporate talk about their possible introduction from AMD/Apple made it clear that they'd be priced like niche workstation GPUs- which I think helped quickly kill any enthusiasm for the platform.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Siguy posted:

Some Apple praise:

My 2013 Macbook Pro screen started looking super janky and weird last month. It looked like it was getting permanently stained but on the inside, with ugly splotches slowly spreading across the image. I took it to the fruit stand to see what was possible and the Apple store guy immediately diagnosed it as the anti-reflective coating going bad and told me it was covered under a special extended warranty. They replaced my four-year-old laptop screen free of charge.

Their support is amazing when they recognise the issue. This is a weird case in that they gave it an extended period of warranty, but kept it as quiet as possible so people don't largely know it's something that can be fixed.

When they don't recognise an issue it's pretty frustrating and hit and miss.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Social Animal posted:

If the iPad Pro had some developer mode with Finder, Terminal and Xcode I would give it a shot. Would like a mouse though too.

The product you are wishing for is called the 12" MacBook

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

MrBond posted:

The product you are wishing for is called the 12" MacBook

uh no I just read in this thread that macs don't exist anymore

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:eng101: Not quite true. The tMac Pro's GPUs are totally removable and upgradeable, and Apple even tried to make that a minor selling point at the time. The problem is that nobody bothered to ever make any new GPUs for it and any corporate talk about their possible introduction from AMD/Apple made it clear that they'd be priced like niche workstation GPUs- which I think helped quickly kill any enthusiasm for the platform.

I mean, you can't expect anyone to make custom dGPUs for such a very niche market. Apple knew this but just doesn't actually care about the Mac Pro anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ethanol posted:

uh no I just read in this thread that macs don't exist anymore

Right know the watch and phone team guys are giving the Mac guy swirlies at Apple HQ

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If Apple was really ran by beancounters I'm sure they'd just clone some Dell or Lenovo workstation case and sell some pile of poo poo pro with tons of slots and rams. apple users will pay 2x for hardware so why wouldn't they scalp em for a workstation?

(edit: if they did, they'd say "ONLY 128GB OF RAM? I NEED 192/384/768! gently caress APPLE I HAVE VM'S TO RUN" :argh: )

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

If Apple was really ran by beancounters I'm sure they'd just clone some Dell or Lenovo workstation case and sell some pile of poo poo pro with tons of slots and rams. apple users will pay 2x for hardware so why wouldn't they scalp em for a workstation?

(edit: if they did, they'd say "ONLY 128GB OF RAM? I NEED 192/384/768! gently caress APPLE I HAVE VM'S TO RUN" :argh: )

You know it's possible to say they don't really much anymore without resorting to the clone/beancounter argument.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SourKraut posted:

I mean, you can't expect anyone to make custom dGPUs for such a very niche market. Apple knew this but just doesn't actually care about the Mac Pro anymore.

Spending as much money as they did on highly custom designs for literally every significant component of the Mac Pro was kinda the opposite of not caring. You can call a lot of the decisions mistakes, starting with the radical form factor and forced dependence on external expansion, and I would not argue with you, but that was clearly a project that wasn't hurting for budget.

(What has undoubtedly been hurting for budget is any followup refresh, and it's easy to guess one reason why: low volume product, requires a shitload of engineer time and tooling just to make a refresh, managers looking at that and saying "why is it worth it to us to spend so much on this". What the Mac Pro needed was management vision that said "It is okay for this one product line to be bland and boxy, for we shall keep costs low and therefore the product will justify itself", what it got was a misguided attempt at making it as sexy a design as Apple's high volume consumer products.)

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

BobHoward posted:

Spending as much money as they did on highly custom designs for literally every significant component of the Mac Pro was kinda the opposite of not caring. You can call a lot of the decisions mistakes, starting with the radical form factor and forced dependence on external expansion, and I would not argue with you, but that was clearly a project that wasn't hurting for budget.

(What has undoubtedly been hurting for budget is any followup refresh, and it's easy to guess one reason why: low volume product, requires a shitload of engineer time and tooling just to make a refresh, managers looking at that and saying "why is it worth it to us to spend so much on this". What the Mac Pro needed was management vision that said "It is okay for this one product line to be bland and boxy, for we shall keep costs low and therefore the product will justify itself", what it got was a misguided attempt at making it as sexy a design as Apple's high volume consumer products.)

Wouldn't slapping TB3 onto the existing design solve a lot of this?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BobHoward posted:

I should have clarified my "don't care" into a more specific "I don't think they care about the Mac Pro's target user base", which I think is a fair statement. I wasn't meaning to imply that they don't care at all about the product line itself.

You're right that they obviously spent a fair amount of money on the R&D and fabrication of the nMP, and also that they tried to make it sexy. But that's why I don't think they actually care about what the Mac Pro owner base is interested in. It's similar to all the issues they had with Final Cut Pro X when it launched, and not properly listening or caring about what the users wanted.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Has anybody had a Late 2013 13 or 15 inch rMBP battery go dead on them yet? Because if they did, they'll have to shell out at least $150 to replace it, although you do get a whole new top case, keyboard, and trackpad along with the replacement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Has anybody had a Late 2013 13 or 15 inch rMBP battery go dead on them yet? Because if they did, they'll have to shell out at least $150 to replace it, although you do get a whole new top case, keyboard, and trackpad along with the replacement.

It sounds expensive but it really isn't

$69 - cheapshit no-name battery from eBay that may or may not explode and kill your family or die after just 5 months and last only 3 hours per charge
$99 - legit battery from some place like OWC (NuPower, Anker)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

It sounds expensive but it really isn't

$69 - cheapshit no-name battery from eBay that may or may not explode and kill your family or die after just 5 months and last only 3 hours per charge
$99 - legit battery from some place like OWC (NuPower, Anker)

Try reading the post, guy. I said Late 2013 rMBP.

Try visiting Anker or NewerTech and you'll see they don't sell any batteries for anything past Late 2012 models.

Why? Well, because Apple decided that as of the Late 2013 and later rMBP models, that the battery shall be glued to the Top Case / Keyboard assembly and will not be available as a separate part. And I'm very sure it's a part that they will charge at least $150 for, from what happened to a few acquaintances of mine.

So your statement is only true for pre-2013 MBP/rMBP models. Guess you haven't been paying attention to any of the iFixit rMBP takeaparts since 2013.

However, it may be a credit to Apple that no one seems to have complained about their 3 year old battery in this thread yet.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The battery on my 2012 is still running fine, I haven't even thought about my 13