Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

the good fax machine posted:

What was the excuse for that again? They were too lazy to render all the different designs? Lol

IMO? It's the 'EA bought us, and now we are a joke of a company' disease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

the good fax machine posted:

What was the excuse for that again? They were too lazy to render all the different designs? Lol

JawKnee posted:

IMO? It's the 'EA bought us, and now we are a joke of a company' disease

Given that they stripped out, like, the FemShep running animation from ME3 because of memory limits, I'm willing to bet a big part of it was console limitations.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

Someone was talking like a mass effect xcom game. I was thinking a cool setting would be Garrus's two years of Archangel stuff on omega.

Start off with just Garrus, and then build up a team - slowly clear out omega starting from the bottom or something. I think most of the assets are even already available. You could translate Blue Suns, Eclipse and Blood Pact tactics into a turn based strategy pretty well. Do some cool stuff with biotics. If I had any skill at all it might be a fun little hobby endeavour.

I've been playing some Shadow Tactics (a real time tactics game like Commandos, but set in feudal Japan) lately, and maaaan I'm ready for bioware to branch out the Mass Effect franchise. A real time tactics ME game would own: lots of different weird engineer and biotic abilities for your squaddies, and lots of different alien enemies with different behaviors. Infiltrating a hanar compund would likely differ greatly from infiltrating a turian compound, etc.

ovenboy fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jan 12, 2017

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I don't think I'll ever understand the nerdhate for the human reaper.

The only thing that was dumb about that is that every other reaper looks like a squid instead of being based on reaped species.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Given that they stripped out, like, the FemShep running animation from ME3 because of memory limits, I'm willing to bet a big part of it was console limitations.

hahaha

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yeah we couldn't possibly have corrected the running animations for the player character if it's female because of, uh, memory limits lol

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Reminder that this is the game that removed weapon holstering which they directly attributed to memory limits.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Didn't they also have the player aiming the gun at all times for memory reasons?

E: yeah, that.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JawKnee posted:

yeah we couldn't possibly have corrected the running animations for the player character if it's female because of, uh, memory limits lol

Have you actually looked at the memory limits for last generation consoles? Because the memory limits were laughable, but I doubt that's what you meant.

A lot of corners get cut in the twilight years of a game console's life, because computers keep getting better, and the devs console-side keep trying to squeeze a little more blood from a stone without causing obvious problems. Sticking with one walk cycle saves a lot of resources, both for the console and for the dev team, that can go to things that a statistically significant number of people care about.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

right, right - and you get that I'm saying that's garbage nonsense bullshit yes? This is the game being an unpolished turd because EA rushed it out the door. Not 'memory limits' hahaha loving hell

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Mymla posted:

I don't think I'll ever understand the nerdhate for the human reaper.

The only thing that was dumb about that is that every other reaper looks like a squid instead of being based on reaped species.

My only problem with it is that it achieved gently caress all for the reapers and for the overall plot. ME2 felt like wasted meandering, a side plot. The collectors required that many resources to build a single one, failed to defend it and gave a shitload of reaper info to the alliance in doing so.

And then in ME3 single planets can hold off entire armadas of reapers, which means it was an even dumber plan than you thought it was once you got to play ME3. Why did they even bother doing that if they could just travel there and start poo poo? Especially if you consider the timeline, they could have arrived before the events of ME2 if they only decided to move earlier when, you know, they lost control of the citadel.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JawKnee posted:

right, right - and you get that I'm saying that's garbage nonsense bullshit yes? This is the game being an unpolished turd because EA rushed it out the door. Not 'memory limits' hahaha loving hell

But... it still wouldn't fit. Like, if they had infinite time and infinite resources, that is something that would never have been put in a game for that generation of consoles, because the memory limits were, again, loving absurd.

There's all kinds of things that they've admitted were cut for time. If they had infinite time and resources, Javik wouldn't be DLC, just for a starter. (The ending would still be poo poo, since that was 100% on Bioware's end, but that's a different question altogether).

You're pointing to something almost no-one cared about as a sign of moral turpitude, when all it shows is that the Mass Effect team realized that adding in combat rolls was a better use of a very limited resource than bothering with a second run cycle that the people who notice (already a small minority) would mostly just shrug off.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

sure this is a game where you can still, reliably, get stuck in a spot in the middle of the cockpit - an area you will probably be running into more than once - because no one fixed it. Because EA didn't care to put the money towards more than token optimization. But sure, let's pin this all on the well-known limitations of the medium they decided to release this game on. There are numerous areas where the game is lacking that all point to rushed development, and a lack of interest in delivering a good product - but sure, defend the enormous publisher for ???

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Bioware is a shitier games developer now, and has been shitier since EA bought them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Bioware is a shitier games developer now, and has been shitier since EA bought them.

Fortunately, your posting quality is as consistent as ever.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

oh no, not my SA posting quality cred!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

It's a weird argument because ME2 had a different run animation for Female Shepard, I'm pretty sure. They were removing things to presumably shove Kai Leng in there.

JawKnee posted:

sure this is a game where you can still, reliably, get stuck in a spot in the middle of the cockpit - an area you will probably be running into more than once - because no one fixed it. Because EA didn't care to put the money towards more than token optimization. But sure, let's pin this all on the well-known limitations of the medium they decided to release this game on. There are numerous areas where the game is lacking that all point to rushed development, and a lack of interest in delivering a good product - but sure, defend the enormous publisher for ???

Of all the threads in Games, I don't think this is the one to die on the hill of 'GOONS DEFEND BIG NAME PUBLISHER' for, friend.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jan 12, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Of all the threads in Games, I don't think this is the one to die on the hill of 'GOONS DEFEND BIG NAME PUBLISHER', friend.

Maybe, but I don't actually post a lot in Games, just the games I play. What I have seen is some odd tribalism wrt EA - whenever they're criticized as harming the industry you get the 'NUH-UH' crowd almost immediately. very strange. Like - everyone remembers their shoddy employee treatment 10 years ago or so yes? Is it so beyond the pale for people that the same publisher behind DA2, which if I remembering right only gave a token amount of extra time when asked to the ME3 crew - might rush the games they fund?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME2 had the worst plot of the 3. It was executed well, but it's still dumb as gently caress.

The reapers use the collectors to start building the human reaper before the reaping has already started for reasons.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/106469649889247232

Found this old tweet that says reapers started traveling right after they lost citadel. Which I think makes ME2 even more pointless.

Like the entire plot of ME2 was just a way for them to pass the time on their trip (and to give even more clues and reaper tech to the alliance/cerberus)

It's almost like they promised a trilogy but had to make ME2 entirely of side stuff just so they would have enough material for 3 games in a tight schedule.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

ME2 was the worst game wrt the overall reaper plot and the best wrt individual character stories, which is the main reason anyone bothers with these games at all. The reaper story was always poo poo.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

ME2 was the worst game wrt the overall reaper plot and the best wrt individual character stories, which is the main reason anyone bothers with these games at all. The reaper story was always poo poo.

Basically.

End of ME2: wow lots of great characters but how the hell are they going to handle that tangled ball of reaper stuff in ME3?

Answer: A faeces stain smeared across a design document, framed in ornate gold and held up as high art by the designer & writer.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The Reapers worked for me when they were this weird, high concept dread. That isn't an original device, but it was effective. On an individual level, even Sovereign worked because it a) says scary but vague poo poo, and b) effortlessly smashes thru the Citadel fleet and does more weird things before the coolest set piece in the game. Visually, Sovereign's fast, but there's a weight to its movements. It seems like a terrifying hulk.

After that, it was downhill outside of a few moments (RELEASING CONTROL at the end of ME2). On top of their actions and motivations (which lol), their physical movement in ME3 is weak and inconsistent. There's often no gravity to 'em. The way the Reapers descend to Vancouver looks cheap in comparison to Sovereign in ME1.

It's not easy to write this kind of story, but I would've been good with partial understanding. Like, we can understand a little bit of why the Reapers do their thing. The rest is written off as incomprehensible - not due to lazy writing, but because they're a higher lifeform. Save the connections for the crew, for Anderson and the Geth (ME1-ME2) and so on.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

nerdz posted:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/106469649889247232

Found this old tweet that says reapers started traveling right after they lost citadel. Which I think makes ME2 even more pointless.

Makes me wonder what's the deal with the cutscene of them waking up and stationary at the end of ME2 then.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

isk posted:

The Reapers worked for me when they were this weird, high concept dread. That isn't an original device, but it was effective. On an individual level, even Sovereign worked because it a) says scary but vague poo poo, and b) effortlessly smashes thru the Citadel fleet and does more weird things before the coolest set piece in the game. Visually, Sovereign's fast, but there's a weight to its movements. It seems like a terrifying hulk.

After that, it was downhill outside of a few moments (RELEASING CONTROL at the end of ME2). On top of their actions and motivations (which lol), their physical movement in ME3 is weak and inconsistent. There's often no gravity to 'em. The way the Reapers descend to Vancouver looks cheap in comparison to Sovereign in ME1.

It's not easy to write this kind of story, but I would've been good with partial understanding. Like, we can understand a little bit of why the Reapers do their thing. The rest is written off as incomprehensible - not due to lazy writing, but because they're a higher lifeform. Save the connections for the crew, for Anderson and the Geth (ME1-ME2) and so on.

I remember actually being blown away by the prothean-reapers-citadel reveal in ME1. After that I thought, holy poo poo what they can come up with next?

Turns out they had nothing.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Jesus Christ. ME2 provides the thematic context that underpins the entire series. It has the tightest and best-written plot of all three. What is wrong with you people?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A series of tweets about the DA2 expansion that wasn't:
https://twitter.com/Mike_Laidlaw/status/819368281052213248

The switch to Frostbite was supposedly a big part of the decision (although I can't imagine the response DA2 didn't play into it, at the very least).

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Lt. Danger posted:

Jesus Christ. ME2 provides the thematic context that underpins the entire series. It has the tightest and best-written plot of all three. What is wrong with you people?

This post is right.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Milky Moor posted:

Makes me wonder what's the deal with the cutscene of them waking up and stationary at the end of ME2 then.

They were taking an afternoon nap

isk posted:

I agree with this, the problem with the Reapers was they built them up too much in Mass Effect, the more they revealed about them the more retarded their motivations became and the whole synthetics v organics was ham handed and the synthesis ending option that they pushed is horrifying as gently caress if you put a modicum of thought into it.

nerdz posted:

My only problem with it is that it achieved gently caress all for the reapers and for the overall plot. ME2 felt like wasted meandering, a side plot. The collectors required that many resources to build a single one, failed to defend it and gave a shitload of reaper info to the alliance in doing so.

And then in ME3 single planets can hold off entire armadas of reapers, which means it was an even dumber plan than you thought it was once you got to play ME3. Why did they even bother doing that if they could just travel there and start poo poo? Especially if you consider the timeline, they could have arrived before the events of ME2 if they only decided to move earlier when, you know, they lost control of the citadel.

Yes the writing is not internally consistent.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lt. Danger posted:

I don't disagree. ME2 is brilliant. I took a week off from work to play it, and then replay it. Posted hundreds of screenshots in the ME2 thread. Joking about WE CAN USE THIS. I missed the sense of scope from the first game, but I understood why decisions were made and I liked setting up the perfect suicide mission. Tricia Helfer and Martin Sheen (fake cigarettes aside) remain as some of the finest VO performances to date. And the final dialogue choice with the haptic overlays on Shepard before sitting The Illusive Man the gently caress down.

I like ME2 the most of all the games when they're viewed individually, and it has almost all my favorite conversations/crew members/moments. But when it comes to ultimate villains, I'm more interested in menace/dread than horror/terror. Harbinger feels oddly personal coming off of Sovereign, especially when it isn't picked up and executed well in ME3.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jack2142 posted:

Yes the writing is not internally consistent.

Mass Effect writing has the same consistency of a star trek episode. Which is to say "minimal to none".

Also yes. They built up Reapers in ME:2 to be space Cthulhu god monsters (which was very cool) then in ME:3 we got Metal Mickey. It was bit of a let down.

Video to explain my reference for the young'uns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMkhfbIKjg0

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lt. Danger posted:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

JawKnee posted:

well it wasnt an unpolished turd

jesus

da2 was unpolished turd

and i say that as one of the few people in this thread who actually found enjoyment in da2

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lt. Danger posted:

teh plot is that random bugpeople appear out of nowhere and barely do anything and apparently only shepard cares and then you blow them up working together with a supervillain who smokes too much

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
the plot wasnt very good, but the narrative was the best in me2

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

To make the Collectors work a bit better I would have just dropped turning humans into reaper goo plotline. Instead the Collectors are one of the Reapers backup plans to sow Chaos before they arrive (also don't make them loving Protheans). So the Collector Cruiser(s) are flying around attacking colonies, ganking patrol ships like they did to the Normandy and causing the Council Races to panic because they don't know where these attacks are coming from. If they are kidnapping colonists it should just be to Huskify them and use them to sow more chaos by dropping them on other worlds. Therefore stopping the Collectors is just trying to counter the Reapers backup plan instead of their breeding strategy. In fact having just no new Reapers being built could be interesting on its own accord. Therefore losses like the Sovereign/ME2 One Where you meet Legion/Leviathan of Dis are huge because each one is irreplaceable and weakens the Reapers ability to well... Reap? Maybe the cycles of losses have left the Reapers in a pretty bad situation, where maybe just maybe if you get the Galaxy united you can maybe finish off the last 12 or something I dunno one of which is Harbinger.

I also wouldn't kill Shepard, you could easily have the game start the same. Garrus fucks off because maybe he hoped the council would make him a Spectre or C-Sec would promote him for stopping Saren (They Don't) and decides to go off and be the Hero of another story as Archangel. Tali just fucks off to the Flotilla with $$$$ she got from tagging along to stop Saren. Wrex if he survives decides to unite the Krogan because he is disturbed by the Reapers. Ashley/Kaiden just get re-assigned because they are still Alliance troops. Liara? I dunno she is weird I guess she gets contacted by the Shadow Broker and decides it would help her career? Shepard is pissed because his ship is destroyed and there isn't a replacement, his crew is dead or doing their own thing and the Alliance is dragging him around as a War Hero doing propaganda tours of Alliance Space wasting time. The Illusive Man contacts him offers him a ship and a plan to hit back at the Reapers. Shepard says "Well Bang Okay" and fucks TIM and then goes off with the fancy new Normandy to rally his band of misfits to destroy the deathstar which is more about just destroying the Collectors and stopping their plans to de-stabilize the galaxy in prep for the Reaper invasion and looting whatever sweet tech they have to use against the Reapers.

Keeps the Reapers mysterious, the Collectors have a reason for existing, the pointless timeskip doesn't happen and Shepard doesn't loving die and if you want to have the Reaper Implants subplot poo poo just make them awesome upgrades for Shepard that everyone would research and use.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Why do the Reapers, immortal kill-machines from the dawn of time, need to conduct guerilla warfare against a bunch of primitive idiot organics?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Lt. Danger posted:

Why do the Reapers, immortal kill-machines from the dawn of time, need to conduct guerilla warfare against a bunch of primitive idiot organics?

Because they still won't be there for years? Also it makes their jobs easier if their dumb thralls do their scut work since plan A didn't work. Maybe they are a little worried since one of their own was killed by the Idiot Organics for the first time in many cycles.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think I'll start another playthrough of ME3. I never did get through doing Omega or Leviathan. There are still a lot of things in Citadel I read about that I didn't come across either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Why do the Reapers, who are literally millenia-old robot gods, care if they are a couple of years late to their century-long harvest?

Why do the Reapers, who are invulnerable to conventional weaponry and have a monopoly on technology, want to make their job "easier"?

Why do the Reapers, who have a notoriously relaxed attitude towards individual rights, care if one of their own dies?

What I'm suggesting is that you (and a lot of other people with these kind of criticisms) aren't really on board with the story Mass Effect is telling - so all these solutions and suggestions boil down to "tell a different story", one in which the Reapers are just a particularly old and scary kind of alien Other.

e: which is fine, like I'm not saying your ideas are bad or wrong, but you're basically proposing rewriting everything, but keeping all the names