Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
As an aside, there's a game that's active in the SW RPG Discord channel, and it's going drat well thus far. Dice roller is working flawlessly, and I'm really regretting not making a character for the campaign because it's pretty great seeing the steady clip at which it's progressing.

FFG Star Wars Discord is awesome. You should all join it and start running more games through it.

https://discord.gg/WPM43VV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I had my doubts about using that as a platform for PBP-style stuff but as an observer in that game it looks like it's working really, really well.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I've been thinking about badgering acolyte into using discord that way. There's a lot of overlap on the player base.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

kingcom posted:

Pretty sure they're in that free Rebels Unofficial sourcebook someone put out.

For reference its:
Silhouette 3, Speed 3, Handling -1, Hard Points 0
Armour 3, Defense 0/-/-/0, Hull Trauma 12, System Strain 9
Twin Medium Laser Cannon (Arcs: All) Dmg 6, Crit 3
2x Light Laser Cannon (Arcs: Front) Dmg 5, Crit 3

Thanks!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Is Onslaught on Arda I any good?

The concept is really interesting to me but I've never played or run it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Epi Lepi posted:

Is Onslaught on Arda I any good?

The concept is really interesting to me but I've never played or run it.

I, too, have not had a chance to run it, but some guys at my FLGS complained about it being super rail-roady, even by pregen adventure standards...so maybe just mine it for ideas instead of trying to run it as-written?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Mine it for ideas, there's some interesting bits in there, but the adventure played as written is definitely the worst of the FFG ones my group has played. Very Railroad-y, just not very interesting. On the other hand, We have played Mask of the Pirate Queen & Jewel of Yavin and my group had a blast with both of them.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Is there any rumor on the street date for No Disintegrations? I'd pre-order it at my preferred online store but they also have a habit of lagging several weeks behind Amazon.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Is there any rumor on the street date for No Disintegrations? I'd pre-order it at my preferred online store but they also have a habit of lagging several weeks behind Amazon.

Current best prediction is Thursday the 19th.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My attempt at an Exploration based Discord Game, if anyone would like to apply: [SWFFG-Discord] You're Hired, now get out in Space.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mustache Ride posted:

My attempt at an Exploration based Discord Game, if anyone would like to apply: [SWFFG-Discord] You're Hired, now get out in Space.

How does a discord game even work? Do you hangout in discord while you play on TTS?

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

No, it's exactly like a pbp game, just with a built in dice roller, and push notifications.

No scheduled time, no commitment, just post when you're ready or not.

There's a current game running here if you want to look: https://discord.gg/H5S4enQ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My favorite part is that I can GM from work. There's much less of an expectation for anyone, GM included, to have to make a big huge effort post every time.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

Is there a stat block anywhere for one of these? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Troop_Transport

It actually got stats in the Forged in Battle soldier book for Age of Rebellion.

Silhouette 3, Speed 2, Handling -2
HT Threshold 15, SS Threshold 7, Armor 2
2x Light blaster cannons (Fire Arc Forward, Damage 4, Critical 4, Range[Close])
Turret-mounted twin light blaster cannon ((Fire Arc All, Damage 4, Critical 4, Range[Close], Linked 1)
Crew is a pilot, co-pilot, and commander, holds 10 passengers.
Costs 70,000 credits at rarity 4 (Restricted, of course)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Making a character for someone new to RPG's in general but interested in trying and hanging out with us, and only casually familiar with The Star Wars. We of course plan to make sure to show her all four movies, plus the one prequel when it's out on video.

I did show her the career list from AoR and she settled on an Agitator to start with, which I plan to stat up for her so she can just roll dice and have fun. That kind of character sort of demands a context to work from though-- does the following seem like it would be more or less intelligible to her?

You were born on the planet KUAT. Your family was a wealthy and influential heir to one of the consortium companies that make up KUAT DRIVE YARDS, the shipbuilding conglomerate that supplies the GALACTIC EMPIRE with the bulk its massive Navy.

You grew up accustomed to a life of leisure on the pristine surface of the planet, enjoying private gardens and exclusive prep schools, while above the gargantuan facility that formed an artificial ring around the planet ceaselessly churned out materiel for the Empire’s war machine.

When you left home to study at Kuat City University, you became particularly interested in the history of the Galaxy, reading between the heavily censored lines to realize the Republic afforded freedoms to the oppressed laborers and excluded aliens that the Empire did not. While these unfortunates were not part of your daily life, you nevertheless sought them out and began organizing them against the Empire’s oppression.

Your family name insulated you for a time from the consequences of speaking out against the Empire, you went too far in attempting to mobilize a work stoppage of the shipyards that supplied the regime in exchange for concessions in the form better working conditions and a pledge to reign in the oppression the Star Destroyers were put to. You found yourself suddenly disowned by your family and in the custody of the sinister IMPERIAL SECURITY BUREAU. The last three months of your life have been spent at the work camp on WOBANI--your life of comfort replaced with long days consisting only of reeducation holovids, bland ration bars, and back-breaking labor…

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 12, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

We of course plan to make sure to show her all four movies, plus the one prequel when it's out on video.

You appear to be missing some films here.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jivjov posted:

Well episode 8 isn't out yet

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't call it missing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I wouldn't call it missing.

I mean...you can elect to not show her the prequel trilogy if you don't want to...but to pretend they don't exist at all is silly.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

jivjov posted:

I mean...you can elect to not show her the prequel trilogy if you don't want to...but to pretend they don't exist at all is silly.

Well she has seen "some of" the Star Wars movies, so the damage may well already be done.

...Anyway anything I should break down further in that background blurb for her, you think?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Nerds treating the prequels, as thoroughly mediocre and lacking in reigning Lucas is as they are, like the updated edition of Mein Kampf will never not be funny.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Don't look at the star wars thread

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I was just looking for feedback on the background, friends. Sorry that an offhanded joke about not subjecting my friend to 7 hours of at best aggressively mediocre films caused a derail.

I think I will use one of her human off-skills to give her a rank in ranged (heavy) and justify it as her being a sporting marksman in her ample free time. She'd be the only one in the group with that skill.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I did show her the career list from AoR and she settled on an Agitator to start with, which I plan to stat up for her so she can just roll dice and have fun. That kind of character sort of demands a context to work from though-- does the following seem like it would be more or less intelligible to her?

sounds good, enough detail to convey some atmosphere and emotional context, not enough to weigh her down.

if any of your other players are Legends officionados, maybe make sure they know not to pester her over some of the eccentricities of Kuati culture that had been established in that continuity.

jivjov posted:

you're right, how could he forget Caravan of Courage

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 12, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

PupsOfWar posted:

if any of your other players are Legends officionados, maybe make sure they know not to pester her over some of the eccentricities of Kuati culture that had been established in that continuity.

Did someone say "Kuat of Kuat"?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kuat of Kuat was the dumbest since having the Hereditary CEO position operate on male-preference primogeniture kinda torpedoed the Kuatis' one cool gimmick of being matriarchal

yes I know the Kuat of Kuat who was around during the Clone Wars was just a puppet of his aunt but still

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

Kuat of Kuat was the dumbest since having the Hereditary CEO position operate on male-preference primogeniture kinda torpedoed the Kuatis' one cool gimmick of being matriarchal

yes I know the Kuat of Kuat who was around during the Clone Wars was just a puppet of his aunt but still

Wait the Kuat Shipyards was a monarchy? What are we talking here like elective primogeniture? Are the share holders the elector princes? Is the actual title the Holy Kuat Shipyards? Every time I hear about EU stuff its always more and its always dumber.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
FYI, the 'on the boat' status of No Disintegrations has run longer than anticipated. The unofficial-but-usually-accurate release date prediction from the FFG forums has been pushed back to 2/2/17

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kingcom posted:

Wait the Kuat Shipyards was a monarchy?

It's uh

complicated.

But basically KDY was a consortium where the main shareholder blocs corresponded to the planet's feudal houses. They had a sort of pseudo-monarchial setup where the nobles would choose a CEO from the Kuat family bloodline.

So HRE-style Elector Counts conflated with corporate politics, yes.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 12, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I dunno, I sorta question the necessity of spoon-feeding someone a setting (and forcing them to watch 10 hours worth of movies) that they don't seem to already have an interest in just to get them to play in your elfspaceelfgame with you. If you're that worried about her not already enjoying the setting that you have to write up her entire character background for her with important points capitalized (yes I get that you're going for an opening crawl here, but someone relatively new to Star Wars might not get that and think it condescending), maybe play something different? :shrug: Especially if that someone is new to tabletop RPGs and you want them to enjoy the hobby without letting possible bad experiences with a completely unfamiliar setting spoil her interest in gaming.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 12, 2017

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Drone posted:

I dunno, I sorta question the necessity of spoon-feeding someone a setting (and forcing them to watch 10 hours worth of movies) that they don't seem to already have an interest in just to get them to play in your elfspaceelfgame with you. If you're that worried about her not already enjoying the setting that you have to write up her entire character background for her with important points capitalized (yes I get that you're going for an opening crawl here, but someone relatively new to Star Wars might not get that and think it condescending), maybe play something different? :shrug: Especially if that someone is new to tabletop RPGs and you want them to enjoy the hobby without letting possible bad experiences with a completely unfamiliar setting spoil her interest in gaming.

just lol if u think the empire is bad but dont know what woodoo hide is

#ewoke

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

It's more like handing someone a detailed description of their background as a Kuati noble who explicitly studied the history of the galaxy. Ain't nobody knows what a Kuat is and I'm not sure how someone new to the setting would really feel comfortable being a historian, a character that ostensibly has a deep familiarity with it.

It's like someone not knowing poo poo about Lord of the Rings and then being handed a character sheet as a thousand year old Elven loremaster for their very first tabletop RPG experience.

If I were writing a character for someone who has only seen "some of" the movies and only has an extremely passing familiarity with the setting, just make a smuggler. Everyone loves Han Solo and that character archetype is a lot easier to grok if you're coming to the table for the first time.

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 12, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As an opposing viewpoint, a historian can work for a novice player if the player and the GM are okay with "I roll an Education/Outer Rim/etc check to see if I know anything about X" type checks. The player doesn't need to have the knowledge, but the character does.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Honestly I was hoping she'd pick a soldier type because the only background that demands is "You have a gun and Empire is bad guys."

I exect the Kuat angle to comes up as much or as little as she likes, since I explicitly reduced her to a disposessed criminal busting rocks for sedition.

That said the pip in history is like Jiv said an excuse to hand her setting background as needed and everyone at the table knows she's brand new and can help talk her through playing the faceman.

I figured the easiest way to go with an agitator was charismatic nobody, but a riff on "affluent #woke liberal ally in a setting where that's genuinely dangerous" seemed interesting.

I should mention I'm gonna encourage her to use as much or as little as she wants if she does have her own ideas for the character.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 12, 2017

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Drone posted:

If she's consumed any kind of speculative fiction at all then she probably knows how to tune out the Proper Nouns when appropriate. Do that, and all it says is "you were raised to be a rich jerk, then got woke, then got arrested trying to unionize some shipyard workers, which is why you aren't a rich jerk anymore and are stuck hanging out with a bunch of scary aliens and murdermen."

I agree, though, that FFG Star Wars might not be the best in for somebody brand-new to RPGs.

The campaign in question may or may not be lore-dense, but mechanically, while FFGSW ain't Pathfinder or anything, it ain't Everybody is John either. The weight of rules is hefty enough that it might be intimidating even if the setting isn't.

Maybe ask your other players if they'd be willing to take a brief break and play a one-off of Dread or Fiasco or somesuch? Just to make sure that your new person is comfortable with the fundamental premises of the hobby.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

If she's consumed any kind of speculative fiction at all then she probably knows how to tune out the Proper Nouns when appropriate. Do that, and all it says is "you were raised to be a rich jerk, then got woke, then got arrested trying to unionize some shipyard workers, which is why you aren't a rich jerk anymore and are stuck hanging out with a bunch of scary aliens and murdermen."

I agree, though, that FFG Star Wars might not be the best in for somebody brand-new to RPGs.

The campaign in question may or may not be lore-dense, but mechanically, while FFGSW ain't Pathfinder or anything, it ain't Everybody is John either. The weight of rules is hefty enough that it might be intimidating even if the setting isn't.

Maybe ask your other players if they'd be willing to take a brief break and play a one-off of Dread or Fiasco or somesuch? Just to make sure that your new person is comfortable with the fundamental premises of the hobby.

I'd absolutely use FFG star wars as a intro to rpgs, it doesnt require any real number crunching and is pretty clear cut what you can do and if you're likely to succeed or not. On top of that you have a clear setting everyone is vaguely familiar with and what goes on it and the system encourages you to just go make poo poo up as you feel so you end up playing in a session that looks like that one episode of Community you saw or the thing they were doing on Stranger Things.

A lot of people, especially the type looking to sit down and play a table top roleplaying want a little bit of a safety net with some solid rules. Everyone is John is fun but often leads people just sitting there doing nothing and FFG lets you pretty safely do whatever if you just dump xp in stats at the start. Its got not clear trees you can see and the result of skill ranks are super clear cut and evident as to whats going on.

What you dont want to do is set up some thing from outside the limited setting experience they might have. Drop proper nouns entirely until later. Just have it be 'your home planet' and then way later down the line ask them. Get them to make it up completely, it doesn't have to be an existing planet, let them just improv those things later on down the line if it becomes important.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 13, 2017

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I don't know, my other work friend who suggested inviting her picked it up pretty quickly coming off a like decade long hiatus where her only other tabletop experience was D&D. I'm not sure all of us learning a different game for the sake of it being "easier" and a better on-ramp to the hobby is better than just introducing the game we all actually want to play starting with "tell us what you want to do and we'll hand you your dice pool," then slowly explaining it peicemeal-- "Okay this is how we determined which dice you're rolling so you can build your own pool ; okay now this is an important roll, let's flip a destiny token and here's how that works; okay it's time to level your guy, what do you want to be better at? Okay, we'll take this talent and rank up this skill so your guy does X better, next time we'll give you some more options to pick from yourself..."

It's not really a "gaming group" so much as "a group of work friends (and one nerd from my x-wing nights) who get together and play Star Wars for fun."

I think not coming from a D20/Whitewolf whatever pedigree honestly might be a boon. There will be no need to unlearn what she's learned. Sometimes rank newbies really suprise me with how well they jump into the improv acting aspect of the hobby, and I think there's a tendency to overstate how hard the mechanics are to pick up regardless of the game.

As far as lore dense, it's not terribly high concept, and I plan to scaffold what lore there needs to be in my game through play, not an assumption everyone reads wookiepedia for fun. I told her basically "As long as you've seen enough Star Wars to know there's a big galaxy full of cool ships, fantastic aliens, an oppressive evil Empire opposed by plucky Rebels, you're good to go."

And ultimately... Hell, I'm sure we all played half the poo poo in our inaugural session of the beginner game "wrong," but everyone had a good time. We're all learning together.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

PupsOfWar posted:

I dunno, there's probably enough charts and cheat sheets to get people through the mechanics. Unless you're worried that anything more than a basic mechanic is going to cause a problem. In terms of first games, it's probably one of the easier ones with dice that come in six obviously different colors that do six obviously different things, and symbols that only mean one of six things. With something that shows the six different symbols, FFG Star Wars is simple on the surface and only has depth if you want to dig into it and try to make things optimal.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

You'll be fine, minimise the proper nouns and lore dumps and anyone vaguely familiar with star wars picks up on this system no problems. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
My game group spent a smoke break in our session collaboratively drawing nose art for their ship, and it then escalated into everything-else-art, so now they're tooling around the galaxy in this: