Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Linguica posted:

the original air had that bomb hatch thing. it was bad.

and one port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the original air was bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximo Roboto posted:

here's hoping that Evan Spiegel's Steve Jobs worship and assholishness aren't just cargo culting but he really is a visionary product sperg, and Snap Inc. is NeXTSnap

you hope it's a rudderless company with no business model and way too many expensive staffers?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

he designed the original air too? wtf happened?

Stebe died.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the first air was before its time

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Wild EEPROM posted:

the original air was bad

yep. and then the next gen was the best laptop ever made.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh okay, i didnt realize the first gen was bad. i wasn't really around back then

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you hope it's a rudderless company with no business model and way too many expensive staffers?

that Apple buys and whose CEO takes over and brings Apple into his authoritarian visionary future, yes

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The Management posted:

yep. and then the next gen was the best laptop ever made.
actually, the first good version of the MacBook Air was the 4th gen one released in 2011.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

also the MBA became bad again circa 2013/2014 when the screen got to be unbearably shameful

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

possibly the best computer ad ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E98Eyl5Et0w

the first air was good except for the HD. a friend of mine replaced it with an ssd later and it was Real Good.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the first air was good because it lit a fire under the rest of the industry to make better small/thin laptops and proved that people would pay for portability when everyone else only made cheap netbooks as their small/thin laptops.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the first air was a useless underpowered turd.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

C.H.O.M.E posted:

the first air was good because it lit a fire under the rest of the industry to make better small/thin laptops and proved that people would pay for portability when everyone else only made cheap netbooks as their small/thin laptops.

nah it just meant every manufacturer just copied the black keys on silver aesthetic and made it cheap and plastic, but without any of the goodstuff

Pooper Hero
Sep 11, 2001
The costumed crapper

Shaggar posted:

the first air was a useless underpowered turd.

but without it, the xps13 would never exist as a thin good laptop?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

C.H.O.M.E posted:

then they tried to do it again lmao

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

C.H.O.M.E posted:

and the rest of the industry literally couldn't make laptops that small & light. intel had to make a reference ultraportable laptop design for the other manufacturers to use.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Doc Block posted:

and the rest of the industry literally couldn't make laptops that small & light. intel had to make a reference ultraportable laptop design for the other manufacturers to use.

I thought Lenovo made one and came out with a similar commercial where they took it out of an envelope or was that the 2nd gen MBA?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Maximo Roboto posted:

But sure, buy up '80s Sony
the triumphant return of brushed aluminium skeuomorphism

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pooper Hero posted:

but without it, the xps13 would never exist as a thin good laptop?

so no different than reality?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
apple has apparently decided that it can't beat spotify or netflix and is going to attempt to turn apple music into some horrible amalgation

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the only series that appear to be planned are something with dr dre and a karaoke show.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

exploded mummy posted:

apple has apparently decided that it can't beat spotify or netflix and is going to attempt to turn apple music into some horrible amalgation

once their stupid app show fails to move the needle even a tick these will slowly fade away

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Apple is real bad now.

I will still probably buy a non-touchbar 13" Pro to replace my Air.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
apple music - and apple tv in large part - are deeply tied to itunes, and if nothing else, it's the karma of the ugly step child that's doing them in on their tv, music, and streaming efforts

it's amazing how apple basically don't get anything online

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

ufarn posted:

apple music - and apple tv in large part - are deeply tied to itunes, and if nothing else, it's the karma of the ugly step child that's doing them in on their tv, music, and streaming efforts

it's amazing how apple basically don't get anything online

i like how imessages works between phone and computer does that count as online

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bump_fn posted:

i like how imessages works between phone and computer does that count as online

if i read a message on my iphone it shouldn't still display the notification on my mbp when i open it, but it does. same w/email. i don't understand why that stuff doesn't get syncronized too

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

if i read a message on my iphone it shouldn't still display the notification on my mbp when i open it, but it does. same w/email. i don't understand why that stuff doesn't get syncronized too

it does for me i think? at least if my phone dings w a message and i then tab over to messages on my mac the message disappears from the phone as unread

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably if you didn't acknowledge it on your phone. my winphone does the same thing. if I don't tap on a text notification it shows it when I open my laptop cause it assumes I didn't see it on my phone.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

exploded mummy posted:

the only series that appear to be planned are something with dr dre and a karaoke show.

i wonder what компромат eddy cue has to stay employed after so many years of poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bump_fn posted:

it does for me i think? at least if my phone dings w a message and i then tab over to messages on my mac the message disappears from the phone as unread

if you read it on your mac then the message loses its new message waiting icon/notification on the phone but not the other way around

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

no it doesn't

if I read a message on any of my apple devices it clears it for all of them

unlike facebook messenger which is a clownshow

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I was at the Apple Store today right when they brought out the 1 (one) pair of AirPods they got in to sell. I was tempted to buy them just to try and flip them but I refrained

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

no it doesn't

the most recent facebook messenger app won't even reliably clear its own notifications

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

qirex posted:

the most recent facebook messenger app won't even reliably clear its own notifications

Quite the opposite. It will spam them relentlessly for days across all browsers and devices

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

no it doesn't

idk, its not always doing it but it definitely happens, even on messages ive read and replied to on my phone
do your email notifications get synced too?

i wonder if it has something to do with power nap (which i have enabled). ie maybe if i clear the notification quickly on my phone its ok, but once in a while it gets to my macbook via power nap before i have a chance to check my phone, and maybe it doesn't go ahead and clear those next time? it shouldnt be hard to automatically sync that stuff over icloud or handoff or whatever when you first open the laptop tho

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

idk, its not always doing it but it definitely happens, even on messages ive read and replied to on my phone
do your email notifications get synced too?

i wonder if it has something to do with power nap (which i have enabled). ie maybe if i clear the notification quickly on my phone its ok, but once in a while it gets to my macbook via power nap before i have a chance to check my phone, and maybe it doesn't go ahead and clear those next time? it shouldnt be hard to automatically sync that stuff over icloud or handoff or whatever when you first open the laptop tho

yeah emails get cleared too

the only time it's not cleared is when I open my laptop and it hasn't connected to the internet yet but once the connection is made things get updated.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

no it doesn't

same. but ical and reminders notifications are very flaky when it comes to clearing.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

update ur dongles

• Locked thread