Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Craptacular! posted:

I'm getting this slow realization that maybe Pharah is this awkward fulcrum around which the whole meta rests. Her existence seems to demand that one of 76/McCree be very strong at all times, or at least some hitscan hero but usually one of those two.

I enjoy playing her too, but I'm starting to think if she didn't exist that balance would be easier to maintain.

I'd say removing her would cause more problems than it would solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Hey so in case anybody is still up in arms about the Roadhog hook change in PTR, the update that's tuning it up dropped recently and his hook is working pretty much as intended now. It hooks people without randomly breaking (including when they're halfway behind a wall) but it also breaks when it somehow lands and the enemy is completely behind an obstacle.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Craptacular! posted:

I'm getting this slow realization that maybe Pharah is this awkward fulcrum around which the whole meta rests. Her existence seems to demand that one of 76/McCree be very strong at all times, or at least some hitscan hero but usually one of those two.

I enjoy playing her too, but I'm starting to think if she didn't exist that balance would be easier to maintain.

If Pharah was really a dominant character and neither Soldier or McCree were any good then what would happen is you would see an uptick in Widowmaker usage. More Zenyatta too, it wasn't just McCree getting his single-shot falloff reduced that put a crimp in her style, it was that plus orb of discord. I don't really think she's the lynchpin of anything tbh.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Craptacular! posted:

I hate Pharah because last night I was a couple of matches away from hitting masters, then I started running into teams who had pharah. We were running McCree and Soldier to counter her in the end over multiple matches, it was always me that had to pull her down to earth and kill her, not the loving hitscan. Goddamn

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jan 12, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pharah's just ok right now. if the tanks and ana stop being what the game revolves around post ptr, pharah is gonna get dumpster'd hard yet again thanks to zenyatta and hitscan

seriously, if a pharah is bothering you then just get a zen+mccree/soldier and you will shut her down insanely hard. discord is a nightmare for pharah

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean the trick is that the hitscan's gotta be good at hitting what they aim at, is the thing. Just having Soldier and McCree on your team won't inherently shut Pharah down if they can't actually hit her.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I wouldn't even call Soldier a massive counter to Pharah anymore if only because his spread is so huge now. I can be perfectly tracking a Pharah but often she's too far away that the spread just hits about one out of five shots. Even if Soldier resurfaces, Pharah might be able to have a strong presence, which we'll quickly see disappears because McCree still deletes her.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the trick is that the hitscan's gotta be good at hitting what they aim at, is the thing. Just having Soldier and McCree on your team won't inherently shut Pharah down if they can't actually hit her.

This is why I play zenyatta so often. I might not be able to hit with 9 balls out of ten but that tenth one is the discord orb so

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Theta Zero posted:

I wouldn't even call Soldier a massive counter to Pharah anymore if only because his spread is so huge now. I can be perfectly tracking a Pharah but often she's too far away that the spread just hits about one out of five shots. Even if Soldier resurfaces, Pharah might be able to have a strong presence, which we'll quickly see disappears because McCree still deletes her.

Soldier on his own is hard pressed to gun down Pharah outright, it's not even just the spread (which you can still mitigate to an extent) but the falloff as well, even with his damage buffed the general range that Soldier is going to be shooting Pharah at means that he can put pressure on her but usually can't outright kill her before she's able to touch down behind cover, and that's if she isn't getting healed in the process. McCree is, if you can aim, more reliable against Pharah because of his higher burst damage.

And yeah, Zenyatta is absolutely a good choice to have as well. Simply having discord on her makes a lot of Pharahs dive for cover to try and shake it off.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh I get how to counter her, its just annoying to see people who main her counters consistently gently caress it up, then I swap with them and down her pretty quickly. I just want people to do their drat jobs! *angrily shakes fist*

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

dogstile posted:

Oh I get how to counter her, its just annoying to see people who main her counters consistently gently caress it up, then I swap with them and down her pretty quickly. I just want people to do their drat jobs! *angrily shakes fist*

Yup. Soldier's probably the easiest hero in the game to master if you've ever played an FPS before, but man is it obvious when someone playing him doesn't know how to prioritise targets well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Theta Zero posted:

Doesn't McCree have the problem of actually trying to close in on her? He can't snipe her in the air because of falloff. If he can actually close in or predict where she's gonna land, sure, but I wouldn't think he'd be the first pick if she's constantly harassing your team from the air.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Kai Tave posted:

Soldier on his own is hard pressed to gun down Pharah outright, it's not even just the spread (which you can still mitigate to an extent) but the falloff as well, even with his damage buffed the general range that Soldier is going to be shooting Pharah at means that he can put pressure on her but usually can't outright kill her before she's able to touch down behind cover, and that's if she isn't getting healed in the process. McCree is, if you can aim, more reliable against Pharah because of his higher burst damage.

And yeah, Zenyatta is absolutely a good choice to have as well. Simply having discord on her makes a lot of Pharahs dive for cover to try and shake it off.

I disagree, of all the guns with damage falloff, Soldier's is the best since it doesn't start until 30m. He can heal, too, putting him out of range of getting 2-shotted with at least one direct hit or 3-shotted with all splash hits. His ult suppresses you longer and kills you faster. McCree has burst but is also relatively a sitting duck and easier to fire at from range, and once you get outside of his falloff start range of 22m he can't 2-3shot you anymore, so his time to kill is about the same as Soldier's. They're at least equally bad for Pharah to encounter. In practice, if you are having trouble killing her as Soldier you probably won't do any better as McCree, and I hate running into Soldier more.

3-4 tanks are what I hate running into most. Roadhog can 1-shot me from 20m with hook, Reinhardt and Dva can block my stuff, and I can't solo kill any of them if they have a competent healer, who can hide behind them so I can't kill them either. Also multi-tank comp is run with Pharah's actual bane: Ana. She who can put herself out of range of being 2-3 shotted and can 3 shot me like McCree but from infinite range and with a scope. She's worse than Widowmaker because of that self-heal.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

People keep talking about Pharah as if she's a slow character when she actually has the same speed as everyone else and three powerful movement abilities. There's nothing about her that requires you to hover miles out of cover like an idiot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As someone who plays a ton of Pharah, I like my chances vs. any other Pharah at my ELO. Pharah v. Pharah dog fights are definitely a highlight of this game for me, and MLG moments are born from blasting her pet Mercy away before melee'ing the other Pharah out of the sky!

2nd favorite style of frag is finding anyone else on my team in a 1v1 as Lucio and casually boomping their opponent off the map. gently caress your epic genji v. Soldier duel, we gotta payload to move dude!

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I live for Pharah dog fights. Just purely for the fact it's the closest thing I'll get to spinfusor battles in this day and age.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yup. Soldier's probably the easiest hero in the game to master if you've ever played an FPS before, but man is it obvious when someone playing him doesn't know how to prioritise targets well.

I have this issue and I don't know why. I play tracer a lot and enjoy her, as well as managing to have good target selection and regularly win games with her. I'm decent as soldier but just..god drat I am not good at target selection with him and I don't get it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it's Elo not ELO

i shall be pedantic about this until death

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Kashuno posted:

I have this issue and I don't know why. I play tracer a lot and enjoy her, as well as managing to have good target selection and regularly win games with her. I'm decent as soldier but just..god drat I am not good at target selection with him and I don't get it.

Shoot Rein's shield 24/7 to buff your accuracy stats and ensure you receive a gold damage medal.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Oh sorry I was reading a reminder to myself. I meant focus on the healers if they're within reasonable range and accessible, otherwise start chunking damage into Roadhogs/Winstons/D.vas until enemy DPS players threaten your backline, then Helix their faces.

It's a little different from McCree if you play/played him, because he is mostly good for eliminating squishies who step out of position, whereas Soldier is basically a constant stream of damage that should always be hitting "something".

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Jeza posted:

Shoot Rein's shield 24/7 to buff your accuracy stats and ensure you receive a gold damage medal.

Or to break his shield or force him to drop it, which gives your team a chance to pick or advance...

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Dietrich posted:

Or to break his shield or force him to drop it, which gives your team a chance to pick or advance...

I'm afraid that's of secondary importance to my gold medal, but whatever floats your boat

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Soldiers who go "i have gold damage" and haven't done anything except break the shield all game make me laugh because every soldier i've encountered in the past week who has bragged about it can't hit a stationary target at midrange.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure damage done to reinhardt's shield doesn't count for your damage done score.

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

It definitely does, so now you know that when that hanzo on your team cards for damage but didn't kill anyone ever you know what he was shooting at the whole match

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it does. also mei walls, zarya bubbles, anything that has an hp bar seen or unseen

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The junkers are the only characters I feel useful shooting the shield with, since they can pressure it alone.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Roadhog shreds it really quick too, its half the reason pro teams pick him.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Doesn't McCree have the problem of actually trying to close in on her? He can't snipe her in the air because of falloff. If he can actually close in or predict where she's gonna land, sure, but I wouldn't think he'd be the first pick if she's constantly harassing your team from the air.

Ya I don't get how McCree is a counter to Pharah unless he has his ult. His whole kit is based on close quarter duels and that's the one thing Pharah never does. She always stays at medium range in the open.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He shoots her in the head while she slowly glides with his gun that has no spread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ulio posted:

Ya I don't get how McCree is a counter to Pharah unless he has his ult. His whole kit is based on close quarter duels and that's the one thing Pharah never does. She always stays at medium range in the open.

he clicks her on the head

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

dogstile posted:

Soldiers who go "i have gold damage" and haven't done anything except break the shield all game make me laugh because every soldier i've encountered in the past week who has bragged about it can't hit a stationary target at midrange.

These are the people who would be playing Bastion if people wouldn't yell at them so much (and would probably do better with Bastion)

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The junkers are the only characters I feel useful shooting the shield with, since they can pressure it alone.

The only time you shouldn't be shooting the shield is if there is a target that the shield is not protecting. Shoot the loving shield with everyone.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Dietrich posted:

The only time you shouldn't be shooting the shield is if there is a target that the shield is not protecting. Shoot the loving shield with everyone.

Don't get me wrong. I shoot it. But I always seem to get the team that doesn't focus the shield down. Plinking away alone as soldier or most people is aggrivating

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Had a weird night of playing comp (high gold, just hit plat after my last game) and I didn't have a single Rein my team in any of the games I played. We managed to win a game with 1 healer and 1 tank, lots of bizarre games that I thought we would lose just based on our initial comps.

I got grouped with a 3 stack that included a master player that was either Solider or Widow, and he kept yelling at me for not healing him good as Zen (other healer was Lucio). I felt bad and worked as hard as I could at keeping him alive because he was legitimately very very good and the enemy team ended up switching to Winston and Genji and Tracer in a desperate attempt at killing him. He did a good job of leading us and making sure we all stopped and regrouped and was directing people around when to back out of points and when to ult and stuff and every single time it worked to perfection just listening to him. Felt like I was letting him down because I am not good, and most of the time he was behind me so I couldn't see when he needed heals and wouldn't say anything until he was dead. I think I learned alot in the 2 games I ended up matching with his group (Gibraltar and Ilios).

I also played a game of quickplay where some idiot was talking poo poo about having a "level 2" on his team. He was level 66. This guy legitimately didn't understand that the guy was level 2 with 2 stars which means 202. Everyone made fun of him for it and he tried to play it off as a joke. He then went off saying he had gold damage as soldier. :allears:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Kashuno posted:

He shoots her in the head while she slowly glides with his gun that has no spread.
See again this is an attitude I don't get. Nothing about Pharah forces you to float around slowly out in the open. You can pop out from cover and use one of her two powerful escape abilities or just drop back down if you start taking flak.

Long range hitscan is borderline mandatory to beat Pharah but she's not an easy target to hit if played well.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 12, 2017

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

See again this is an attitude I don't get. Nothing about Pharah forces you to float around slowly out in the open. You can pop out from cover and use one of her two powerful escape abilities or just drop back down if you start taking flak.

Long range hitscan is borderline mandatory to beat Pharah but she's not an easy target to hit if played well.

Sure, but if the Pharah is playing well then its a good bet that the McCree might also be playing well. Meaning that he doesn't need her to be moving slowly to plink her head a couple times. If she keeps needing to not be in the sky cuz she's getting plinked then she's not being effective.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Yeah which is all cool and good except now you're not supplying hitscan damage reliably and probably charging up the Zarya while letting the enemy healers get free charge because pop n'squat pharah isn't a really good method in 3000+ games.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cool so pharah is on the ground where he can flashbang her neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Ana's a good Pharah counter and she's on every team.