Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Bashez posted:

I know it sucks watching guys miss threes, I bitch about it unnecessarily all the time, but if they'd made one more three they would have technically been above their season average for 3p%.

They got several wiiiide open looks that they badly bricked, that's mostly what I was referring to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
This is one of the reporters that Boogie asked if he wanted Cousins to stay and the guy that Boogie got filmed yelling at.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/andy-furillo/article126012739.html

saaaaaaaaalty

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Rachel__Nichols/status/819403049009442816

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm standing next to knightman and he's just making futuristic sounds at me but not doing anything else

Did you piss on him.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Did you piss on him.

I kick or slap it every time I walk by. Normally it doesn't make the futuristic warbling sounds non-stop though so I figure someone broke it.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Did you piss on him.

"Mr. Ranadive? A Mr. Timofe Mozgov has requested a private audience with the Knightman unit."

Also the photography at the Sixers/Knicks game was on point tonight.

https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/819386912922370048

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Intruder posted:

They got several wiiiide open looks that they badly bricked, that's mostly what I was referring to

Yeah I just went through this same feeling with the Spurs/Bucks game. Danny Green missed like 4 wide open ones in a row with a couple misses from other people thrown in. Mentally I'm thinking the Spurs are having a terrible shooting night but they ended up shooting 40%.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My team lost to the Sixers at near full strength while playing hard all four quarters...

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^ At least Embiid didn't land that dunk on KP or the franchise might have dissolved.

Congratulations to the Knicks on going from 16-13 to 17-22 hahah man I'm checkin' a few Knicks boards and Melo is over and everyone in the whole city is DOWN FOR THE TANK.

Fallin' for Ball? Failin' for Fultz? Did KP miss for Dennis Smith? Eat poo poo for Isaac? Tossed in the trunk for Malik Monk? Check back next time!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Last year Russ tied Magic for most triple doubles in a season since 1980 with 18 (I don't understand why not use stats before 1980) this season Russ just got his 18th

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Doltos posted:

My team lost to the Sixers at near full strength while playing hard all four quarters...

I think KP still isn't %100 yet. That's a big deal considering how much of the Sixers' offense revolves around Embiid.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

Since all professional; teams are relatively the same, and use their possessions almost equally well...

Here's value of possession for this year so far:

code:
VOP	Team
1.13	Golden State Warriors
1.13	Toronto Raptors
1.12	Houston Rockets
1.10	San Antonio Spurs
1.09	Cleveland Cavaliers
1.08	Los Angeles Clippers
1.08	Boston Celtics
1.07	Milwaukee Bucks
1.07	Portland Trail Blazers
1.06	Utah Jazz
1.06	Minnesota Timberwolves
1.05	Denver Nuggets
1.05	Charlotte Hornets
1.05	Washington Wizards
1.05	Oklahoma City Thunder
1.04	Indiana Pacers
1.04	New York Knicks
1.04	Sacramento Kings
1.04	Los Angeles Lakers
1.04	Chicago Bulls
1.03	Detroit Pistons
1.02	Phoenix Suns
1.02	Atlanta Hawks
1.02	Memphis Grizzlies
1.01	Dallas Mavericks
1.01	New Orleans Pelicans
1.00	Brooklyn Nets
1.00	Orlando Magic
1.00	Miami Heat
0.98	Philadelphia 76ers

DeimosRising posted:

Oh come on. 6 seasons of 11+ win shares, 2 seasons over .2 ws/48, and no good stats to capture the best part of his game. His dropoff after the Bulls wasn't (primarily) that he wasn't next to Jordan anymore, it was that he was old and in bad health.

He was a great player but in the mid-1990s some people were calling him "the best all around player in NBA history." I'm responding to that sentiment.

I agree that he was too old when he left the Bulls and attempted major things.

Lockback posted:

We even had a season and a half of Pippen without Jordan and he was an MVP candidate so

Pippen barely had half the WS that David Robinson had in 1993-94.

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/TylerIAm/status/819355304467005440

Never quote me again about how great any player in this era was.

The MLB is lucky that they didn't have great cameras back one hundred years ago.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I think KP still isn't %100 yet. That's a big deal considering how much of the Sixers' offense revolves around Embiid.

KP is hurt, I agree. Burn the franchise down.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Metapod posted:

(I don't understand why not use stats before 1980)

I was going to say because not everything was tracked before then, but it looks like everything was tracked by 77-78, so I don't know.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Metapod posted:

Last year Russ tied Magic for most triple doubles in a season since 1980 with 18 (I don't understand why not use stats before 1980) this season Russ just got his 18th

code:
Player			TDs 	 Season
Oscar Robertson		41	 1961-62
Wilt Chamberlain	31 	 1967-68
Oscar Robertson		26	 1960-61
Oscar Robertson		26	 1963-64
Oscar Robertson		22	 1964-65
Wilt Chamberlain	22	 1966-67
Oscar Robertson		20	 1962-63
Magic Johnson		18	 1981-82
Russell Westbrook	18	 2015-16
Russell Westbrook	18	 2016-17
RW has a true shot at reaching #2 or #3.

Rick posted:

The Bulls were too small for the Knicks (just like they would be too small for the Magic a year later), so I don't blame him for not being able to stop that, although I can't forget him being a baby and checking himself out of the game in the playoffs.

If Jordan hadn't retired the size wouldn't have mattered.

Rick posted:

I can't help but think if you put a motivated, in shape Lattrell Spreewell or Jim Jackson, or a time traveling, slightly older Jerry Stackhouse in that same spot that they don't duplicate or surpass Pippen's accomplishments.

But he doesn't belong on any sort of basketball top ten list or Mount Rushmore or whatever thing people have tried to put him on over the years. He's the James Worthy, Derek Fisher tier of player who were tremendously important to great teams winning and thus deserve high honors . . . but they were there because of some other true all time great player.

Now I think you've gone too far.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Very kind of the Rockets to lose to a bad team tonight so the Spurs can stay ahead and I can continue to believe they have a shot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Femur posted:

I don't even know what's going on, everyone knew who was the robin in that relationship.

Pippen was culturally boxed in as sidekick. How can that guy get overrated?

Sportswriters were saying all kinds of crazy stuff.

dokmo posted:

I was going to say because not everything was tracked before then, but it looks like everything was tracked by 77-78, so I don't know.

1980 is the delineation some use due to the 3P era.

Spacebump posted:

If Pippen is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Jordan, does that mean Magic is overrated because he only had two good seasons without Kareem?

Yes, I think Kareem deserves top billing over Magic.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Zogo posted:

code:
Player			TDs 	 Season
Oscar Robertson		41	 1961-62
Wilt Chamberlain	31 	 1967-68
Oscar Robertson		26	 1960-61
Oscar Robertson		26	 1963-64
Oscar Robertson		22	 1964-65
Wilt Chamberlain	22	 1966-67
Oscar Robertson		20	 1962-63
Magic Johnson		18	 1981-82
Russell Westbrook	18	 2015-16
Russell Westbrook	18	 2016-17
RW has a true shot at reaching #2 or #3.

:prepop:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hah the 67-68 season where Wilt decided to lead the league in assists.

Yet another Wilt-based asterisk because he would have had more than 31 if the league recorded blocks (didn't start til '74?).

Wouldn't be surprised if Bill Russell had a few quad doubles neither

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Did you piss on him.

When they arrest you, tell them your just being presidential

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The most annoying thing about those championship bulls teams is that people call Toni Kukoc Croatian when he was Yugoslavian. Fake nation of croatia did not exist when he was born

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Yet another Wilt-based asterisk because he would have had more than 31 if the league recorded blocks (didn't start til '74?).

Alex Kennedy had a mini-tweetstorm about some of those block numbers.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/819033438082760706

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/819034123910184960

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/819034766519439360

Also jfc RoCo is not slowing down.

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/818974849645297664

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Who is the worst current NBA player that would be an All-Star if you sent them back in time to 1964? I think someone like Greg Monroe or CJ Miles would be a top five player in the league back then. JJ Barea would probably be an All-NBA guard.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I'm gonna be so mad when the Sixers make the playoffs in a couple years and the Colangelos get credit for Hinkie's genius.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

tanglewood1420 posted:

Who is the worst current NBA player that would be an All-Star if you sent them back in time to 1964? I think someone like Greg Monroe or CJ Miles would be a top five player in the league back then. JJ Barea would probably be an All-NBA guard.

Julius Randle seems tailor made to confuse the gently caress out of a 1960s defense

Then again, he is basically Elgin Baylor but way worse, so maybe not

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

tanglewood1420 posted:

Pick a high energy big man. The NBA only had 15 guys 6'10 or taller between 1960 and 1965 and a bunch of them were stiffs (and only a handful were 7 footers)

Like, Quincy Acy would dominate and he's barely hanging on in the league.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

This is the best:

Drunk Canuck posted:

https://twitter.com/ChristianCrosby/status/819386763026296833

I hope my future children turn out this amazingly full of life and charisma

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

tanglewood1420 posted:

Not right now, but year 2 Austin Rivers in New Orleans, just terrible in the contemporary NBA, awful, useless, in 1960 he would have been a legend and we''d think of him in *country accent* Ostihn Rivuhs. You could interview old timers and they'd say "Oh that boy Austin could do things we'd never imagined you could do with a basketball."

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
https://mobile.twitter.com/Jared_Sully0/status/818563584724701185

I want to believe

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

EvanTH posted:

The guy who runs the Wilt Archive on Youtube looked at unofficial records of Wilt's blocks and figured he probably would have had at least 120 triple doubles if they were recorded at the time.

Wilt's the only guy to ever record a double triple double (20-20-20), he definitely had several quads, and I've even read that he had a quintuple one time during the 1968 season.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Spoeank posted:

Pick a high energy big man. The NBA only had 15 guys 6'10 or taller between 1960 and 1965 and a bunch of them were stiffs (and only a handful were 7 footers)

Like, Quincy Acy would dominate and he's barely hanging on in the league.

Javale McGee fits these criteria.

b2n
Dec 29, 2005

Restifo was probably the best available analyst of those who publicly posted stuff. Like dokmo, I very much doubt they'll have much influence

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Javale McGee fits these criteria.

I'm pretty sure there are Div-I college guys who won't get drafted in the NBA and will spend their careers bouncing around Euro clubs that would have absolutely destroyed the NBA in 1964. Just watch that Cousy "ball-handling" clip again - there are guys who play ball at the Y that don't look that bad defensively.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

To be fair to melo he's not jumping because he got totally faked out by a McConnell spin move .

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

euphronius posted:

To be fair to melo he's not jumping because he got totally faked out by a McConnell spin move .

https://vine.co/v/5YE67DEtwQB

I love this game!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I wish the Magic weren't garbage so that watching their games means I feel like I have something to look forward to instead of it just being an exercise in futility. Basketball is fun to watch, just not when I'm rooting for my favorite team's success.

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Yeah, their games are joyless slogs that feel like a chore to watch. And they can't make trades because everyone knows they want to make trades, which torpedoes their leverage

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I love Joel Embiid the same way I love Jose Fernandez and it's making me worried something might happen to Him

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Noctone posted:

I'm gonna be so mad when the Sixers make the playoffs in a couple years and the Colangelos get credit for Hinkie's genius.
Nobody is gonna forget that Embiid is a Hinkie guy. Embiid has made sure of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/JeffCerulli/status/819420531741097984

• Locked thread