Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Archonex posted:

So what? They're basically void related monsters?

They're posessed by the primordial fear of events, earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, tornadoes, or THE UNENDING VOID OF SPACE.

They're called "Moments".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Night10194 posted:

I'm failing to see how people eat the eggs.

Step 1: Smash Mouth

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Night10194 posted:

I've said it before, but in addition to being utterly disgusting, Beast is basically like watching someone fall off the wagon and go full 90s WW again.
I wish it was only as bad as 90s WW. This is the 90s WW fanfiction/fansplat that a picked on latchkey kid with an angelfire site would make. "Beasts are so cool and powerful and they maim/kill everyone who was mean to them and have a badass mom & dad who let them stay up all night!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Kurieg posted:

They're posessed by the primordial fear of events, earthquakes, volcanoes, floods, tornadoes, or THE UNENDING VOID OF SPACE.

But there are "fear of the sky" and "fear of the water" beasts, aren't there?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No see then you were actually scared of the things that lived in the sky/water.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Kurieg posted:

This really doesn't seem to fit anywhere else into the setting. Like, most of this stuff seems to be coming out of left field when compared to previous canon. Shame too. I was hoping they'd actually clean the thing up after people kept pointing out how awful it was.

Also, like, what the gently caress is the point of some of these monsters? How would you even use "monster that sunk the titanic and is impervious to just about anything short of an airstrike" in a story that wasn't going full gonzo in the vein of Exalted? It just doesn't fit. And that's before you get into the probability that a monster that sunk the titanic is probably not going to be anywhere humans are to even interact with in the first place. What the gently caress would the PC's even be doing to encounter this thing?

The egg dude is similarly confusing. I mean, at least I can see how it could be put into a story since it can actually interact with people in an antagonistic way. But...Just...What? Do the eggs kill people or something? Where's the threat outside of the whole body invasion thing and horrifying 4chan tier fetishes being inflicted on the setting? Did I miss that in my read through?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Because making GBS threads eggs out your dick is so horrifying you'll mutilate your genitals and rear end and then die.

Also yes, none of this makes any sense in the world as given, hell half of the Heroes are literally impossible given the stated assumptions out of the world. And one of the example beasts underewent the merger when his Horror went "gently caress this poo poo" and just took over his body WHICH ISN'T HOW THE MERGER WORKS.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Archonex posted:

So what? They're basically void related monsters?

The funniest thing about all this to me is that the more I hear about this the more I think that this game would have done better as some sort of retarded mortal tier spin off book for Exalted 3E where you play as the poor monsters that get ripped apart by early level Exalt's. Not that 3E is that good at the moment either, what with toning down the power levels and somehow still making the mechanics of playing it a headache.

Titanic sinking sexy snake monsters versus cosmic kung fu super-gods is at least theoretically fun as a concept and helps overlook the general terribleness of it all. It'd at least make people confused about whether the terrible parts were supposed to be a parody or actually serious.

Plus, some of the poo poo i'm reading about fits in there far better than it does NWOD/CofD thematically. Exalted's crazy enough that some of this poo poo would just elicit a "Meh." from the fan base.

That... Would actually be pretty great, to be honest. Mythology is littered with monsters torn from the dustbins of the gods; creatures made by curses, vile sorceries, or because Typhon and Echidna did the horizontal Monster Mash. In 2e, your only recourse was to model them using the RoGD books or learn professional game design. In 3e, you have even less.

Plus, the gods being dicks in ways other than slacking off on their office jobs would be nice and in keeping with the heroic epics that inspired it, especially for reinforcing the themes of Weird Morality the setting has. Remember the origin story if Medusa where she was Athena's priestess?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I would really love to hear a frank explanation from Matt McFarland about what exactly the hell he's trying to accomplish with Beast, why he is apparently so emotionally attached to it, and how other people looked at this and were like, "sure, let's publish this."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Well now that we've all got a deep and disturbing look at MacFarland's dick making GBS threads egg fetish i'm probably never going to interact with Beasts in any meaningful capacity except to laugh at it on the internet.

FakeEdit: Then again maybe i could get some mileage out of an archmaster game where you have to convince the other participants of the Pax Arcana that Beasts don't deserve to exist and you erase them from existence and then flip off the Dark Mother while she dissolves into nonexistence.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
That's funny to think about but "heh, guys, my campaign is about throwing shade at this other RPG I don't like" sounds like it'd be incredibly boring and weird as a player.

"Don't touch the poop" is good advice, here.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I just find it funny that they basically ripped off disquiet from Promethean and went "no see WE can do it better"

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.
Does anyone have a word for that part of you that knows something is bad but you can see why some bits of it are fun, so you keep coming back to it and trying to salvage it, but you only end up frustrated when you come to the same glaring conclusion again and again that the concept is unsalvageable?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Axelgear posted:

Does anyone have a word for that part of you that knows something is bad but you can see why some bits of it are fun, so you keep coming back to it and trying to salvage it, but you only end up frustrated when you come to the same glaring conclusion again and again that the concept is unsalvageable?

LARP

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I would really love to hear a frank explanation from Matt McFarland about what exactly the hell he's trying to accomplish with Beast, why he is apparently so emotionally attached to it, and how other people looked at this and were like, "sure, let's publish this."

I mean, I know they have Kickstarter commitments, but you think after the uproar someone might mildly want to keep him in check. I guess between this and the stuff going on with Paradox's plans, White Wolf never changes in the long run.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Any updates on the 21st century LARP plans?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's funny to think about but "heh, guys, my campaign is about throwing shade at this other RPG I don't like" sounds like it'd be incredibly boring and weird as a player.

Yeah you're right, still a funny idea to think about though.

I'm actually kind of hype for the historical setting now because I can't see any scenario where they don't horribly mishandle the reconstruction era and create one of the most offensively tone deaf books in WW's history and I want to read the internet's meltdown.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Axelgear posted:

Also, no armour is perfect; you always take at least one bashing level from any hit that does lethal damage.

Unless you're a Vampire, Werewolf or Mage with mage armour on. I haven't read Promethean or Beast but I assume they also do not take the 1B after soak. Basically only baseline humans can slowly be whittled down, in stark defiance of good game design imo.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
What the gently caress is Matt's obsession with making internet slapfights a crucial component of a game-line about mythical monsters? Why would anyone want to drop 15 bucks to further enhance the epic struggle between the evil Hero AdolfPepeler1488 and a brave Beast who draws Steven Universe fan-art? It's so loving petty.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

What on earth is this BvD that keeps being referenced? Or am I just better off not knowing anything about it?

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

citybeatnik posted:

What on earth is this BvD that keeps being referenced? Or am I just better off not knowing anything about it?

(Vampire) Baby vs Dog

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Commissar Budgie posted:

(Vampire) Baby vs Dog

The dog was ghouled iirc. Just a little B vs D.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I would totally play in that game to literally throw shade(s) at Beast. Mostly because it would be hilarious.

SunAndSpring posted:

What the gently caress is Matt's obsession with making internet slapfights a crucial component of a game-line about mythical monsters? Why would anyone want to drop 15 bucks to further enhance the epic struggle between the evil Hero AdolfPepeler1488 and a brave Beast who draws Steven Universe fan-art? It's so loving petty.
I think it's his attempt at being "hip" and "modern" or something. Basically, this is Matt:

citybeatnik posted:

Baby v. Dog. A story in Damnation City wherein a vampire embraces infants and has them fight against ghouled dogs.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

The dog was ghouled iirc. Just a little B vs D.

Silly me!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I'll cop to caviar dude as being p effective body horror but why is he called The Blind Man if he's not blind. Did MM just want to make a character with a cane? Does he act like he's blind?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'll cop to caviar dude as being p effective body horror

Here's the thing: I feel like that might turn the majority of women off my Johnson, but it's going to really interest the ones that are leftover. So that's like, bottom of the scale of penis inflicted horror. Now if he could make people have spider eggs inside their penis and then they hatch and thousands of spiders crawl out of you, that would be a bit more disheartening.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'll cop to caviar dude as being p effective body horror but why is he called The Blind Man if he's not blind. Did MM just want to make a character with a cane? Does he act like he's blind?

Should be noted that writers usually create specific elements, developers only outline, though the ratio of outline detail to writer inventiveness depends on the developer and the writer (ex: A rookie might be given specific instructions, while I often get "do whatever"). In this case, the developer was Danielle Lauzon, who I've enjoyed working with. I don't have the book and am not part of Beast goings-on generally so can't speak to its content, but the process at OPP is usually a pretty collaborative one.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Mulva posted:

Here's the thing: I feel like that might turn the majority of women off my Johnson, but it's going to really interest the ones that are leftover. So that's like, bottom of the scale of penis inflicted horror. Now if he could make people have spider eggs inside their penis and then they hatch and thousands of spiders crawl out of you, that would be a bit more disheartening.

This is pretty much the moment where I realize just how hosed up the internet has made us.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Should be noted that writers usually create specific elements, developers only outline, though the ratio of outline detail to writer inventiveness depends on the developer and the writer (ex: A rookie might be given specific instructions, while I often get "do whatever"). In this case, the developer was Danielle Lauzon, who I've enjoyed working with. I don't have the book and am not part of Beast goings-on generally so can't speak to its content, but the process at OPP is usually a pretty collaborative one.
Can Matt's instructions be "stop doing everything" please

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Axelgear posted:

This is pretty much the moment where I realize just how hosed up the internet has made us.

I think you'll find that penis spiders are a universal human fear across time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The really sad part is that time and resources are being spent developing and writing this Beast stuff instead of books for game lines that are both well received, sought after, and (I would suspect) more profitable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Beast might be profitable. Sad as that might be.

People still like oWoD, after all.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

Jhet posted:

The really sad part is that time and resources are being spent developing and writing this Beast stuff instead of books for game lines that are both well received, sought after, and (I would suspect) more profitable.

The thing that bugs me is that there is something desirable here. Not in what Beast is, but in what it could be.

I look at the Horror system in CofD and think, yeah, this is decent, but it has problems. Dread Powers are... Diverse and generic. Deliberately so. This isn't a bad thing, per se; broad and generic means you can theoretically make anything out of it. At the same time, that lack of focus makes Dread Powers less valuable, because it makes them too generic. Rather than have a theme which can be built off of, you expect one power to cover a very broad range of archetypes.

Consider, for example, the Blast Numen for spirits. This power is meant to represent fire breath, hurling lightning, sonic shrieks, a frigid wind, an entropic rot, and so on. Every theoretical ranged attack is covered under this. Because of that, there's no... Specialization. If someone sat down and thought "Hey, let's have fun making rot spirits" and made a ton of powers which tied into and built on one another, we'd have not only better feeling in rot spirits but also more diversity in them instead of each having the same root powers.

Likewise, building these creatures with XP gives you a sense of what it might be to compare such things to players. It lets you know what's too much and what's too little, at least in theory.

Does that make sense at all? Or am I just asking too much for someone to hold my hand?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Honestly, dickeggs guy is gross and weird and shouldn't be in there, and the world's sexiest snake is silly, but the two different women whose sole purpose is online harassment of the PCs are worse. One of them is a Hot Youtube Girl who doxxes and directs hate groups at Beasts, and the other is an Ugly Hacker Geek Girl who swats people for fun to eat their fear.

Both of these characters are terrible, insulting and barely usable in a game.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I dunno why everyone's freaking out about the body horror guy in a horror game, but Beast's weird focus on the internet is pretty funny.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Honestly i'm confused as why OPP has a bug up its butt about online harassment here. This came up in Hurt Locker too.

Don't get me wrong online harassment is awful and terrible, but why do you think it fits into an RPG? If i'm gonna do something internet related it'll be about cool hacker shenanigans not about getting in twitter fights and doxxing people. I just don't see why they think this is something enough people would actually want to include in their games thats its worth actively publishing antagonists for it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

I dunno why everyone's freaking out about the body horror guy in a horror game

Fainting couches are very in right now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Axelgear posted:

The thing that bugs me is that there is something desirable here. Not in what Beast is, but in what it could be.

I look at the Horror system in CofD and think, yeah, this is decent, but it has problems. Dread Powers are... Diverse and generic. Deliberately so. This isn't a bad thing, per se; broad and generic means you can theoretically make anything out of it. At the same time, that lack of focus makes Dread Powers less valuable, because it makes them too generic. Rather than have a theme which can be built off of, you expect one power to cover a very broad range of archetypes.

Consider, for example, the Blast Numen for spirits. This power is meant to represent fire breath, hurling lightning, sonic shrieks, a frigid wind, an entropic rot, and so on. Every theoretical ranged attack is covered under this. Because of that, there's no... Specialization. If someone sat down and thought "Hey, let's have fun making rot spirits" and made a ton of powers which tied into and built on one another, we'd have not only better feeling in rot spirits but also more diversity in them instead of each having the same root powers.

Likewise, building these creatures with XP gives you a sense of what it might be to compare such things to players. It lets you know what's too much and what's too little, at least in theory.

Does that make sense at all? Or am I just asking too much for someone to hold my hand?

I agree about the Numen, they're a bit standard, but that's not that big of a deal for me. That's the toolbox and I can inject my own tweaks for each spirit/ghost/goetia as I go. The problem is there's not a great amount of breadth of it, but it comes down to page count. If there's not room, there's just not room. I would love to have seen instead of this Monsters of Beast book is a book dealing with actually building monsters in the CofD. A place to go to start building monsters for any and every game line never happened in nWoD, and I really doubt it'll happen here. I'll get to page through 6 different books to find things again. Even the monster books didn't do a great job of it. There were many new creatures and monsters, but there were no building blocks all put together in one place. So I'm stuck using either Numen or Spells again. It's not the end of the world, but I think it's a missed opportunity.

I've never much cared for building antagonists with XP either. It can be difficult to find the sweet spot for them with XP, where for me it's much easier to just grab a handful of powers (let's be honest, it's only going to be alive/fighting for a short time), but I need variety. It's a big world, and I'm trying to reflect that broadness at the table.

This could all be moot and we might actually be getting a toolbox for antagonists somewhere, but there's zero chance of me buying that Beast book because of just how terrible the theme of that line is. I'll wait to see what they're cooking up for the other lines. So I think we're near the same place with what we're looking for out of these books, but I'm very disappointed in that we get nearest to it so far with Beast.

Back to page count problems... One of my biggest pet peeves with Mage 2E is that there's only a single Legacy. They reworked legacies into something great, but there just wasn't space to give them enough examples for players (especially new players) to really get a grasp on it. That's one of the major questions that my new group has, is "what do we do about legacies?" This means we're going to spend a lot of time building legacies instead of playing them. I know there are more coming, but it makes me sad to see that the Core went from 5 to 1.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Ferrinus posted:

I dunno why everyone's freaking out about the body horror guy in a horror game, but Beast's weird focus on the internet is pretty funny.

Because this isn't good, interesting, or even particularly gameable body horror, and is really obviously somebody's weird sex thing. Given how off-putting even mediocre weird sex poo poo can be in RPG materials, having someone's creepy sexual fantasies on full display here is just bad for the game. I mean, can you actually imagine inflicting this infection on a player character? Or describing an NPC suffering from it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Hold on, let me find any possible object or circumstance that is not somebody's weird sex thing to use as a benchmark for this discussion (cut to your cobwebbed skeleton waiting for my return)