Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

My face when RWBY's animation quality beats an actual Japanese show.

That's not hard when you've managed to enter negative territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maid Dragon was good, and I look forward to their adoption of a child next episode.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kemono Friends despite its off animation (I don't mean it's style, just the movements in general, the timing seems off) is actually striking me as fun and almost veering into Humanity gently caress yeah! territory in how it contrasts human abilities with animal abilities.

But we'll see in the next two episodes.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

As someone who hasn't read the manga, MaiDragon seems silly and cute. Gonna stick with it for now.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

anyone who thinks the konosuba animation is ugly can eat my shorts

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Parallax posted:

anyone who thinks the konosuba animation is ugly can eat my shorts

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well ACCA seems kinda interesting.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Not a lot of new stuff this season is really clicking with me, although I like the odd art style for ACCA. Loving the return of Yowamushi Pedal and LWA is delightful as hell.

Usually I like Doga Kobo's stuff to some degree since they are pretty good at comedy and put at least a bit more effort into their animation than most similar studios, but they tend to suffer when the source material isn't as strong (nothing can live up to Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun), so Gabriel Dropout was a bit "meh" apart from a couple good gags like the angel trolling the devil into barking at a dog.

I hear good things about Kono-Suba, so I might end up checking that out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

My face when RWBY's animation quality beats an actual Japanese show.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Holy poo poo

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah this has been public knowledge in the mmd scene forever, but montecore is like two japanese dudes in a basement and they make models of characters that aren't theirs, so they can't do anything about it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I'm not entirely sure what the implication is but if the implication is Grimm Eclipse (not originally made by RT) and RWBY Season 1 used asset flipping I think my point still stands.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
konosuba 2 is way better than akiba's trip, the animation is pretty drat messy but the facial expressions are perfect and that's what matters

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

MaiDragon is good. As a person who likes dragons way too much, I'll say it nails down the dragon part perfectly. And that's really all I care about in my shows about dragons.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Three more first eps down.

Maid Dragon is alright. Better than I expected from the nay-saying 'round these parts, not as good as I'd hoped when it was announced. Seems pretty much the same quality as the source material, without the kyoani polish I'd expect. I'll watch more, sure.

Urara Meirochou is fun and cute. Cute OP, cute characters, cute yuri overtones... sasuga Manga Time Kirara. Yep, I'll be watching this. Aside from cuteness, I really liked the fortune telling scenes, they were nicely mysterious.

ACCA is really cool. The exposition dump towards the beginning was really inelegant, but I loved everything else. I like the characters, I like their design, I like the calm-before-the-storm atmosphere the episode cultivated, and I like the interestingly-angled backgrounds. The OP and ED are rad. I wish I could show the ED to a dancer I used to know. Definitely watching this.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh dang, ACCA's director has done a good amount of good stuff. Nodame Cantabile, OPM, large portions of Space Dandy, and lots of animation work on good things. That + the original work being by the House of Five Leaves lady means this really should have been on my radar.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maidragon is decent

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm curious how they'll end up laying out the episodes, since many of the chapters after Kanna is introduced can just go wherever. First episode was about 3 or 4 chapters, so they could end up getting pretty far in.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I enjoyed Maidragon since it's goofy and cute and features people in software jobs being annoyed at their jobs.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I really enjoyed Konosuba 2 - it feels like they're leaning into the jankiness, and I'm actually into it. Its just so expressive.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

darkgray posted:

Chaos;Child started with an ep 00 that seemed to be a Chaos;Head recap, which was an inscrutable mess as I didn't watch the original series. Not sure if I should bother with ep 01 now.

Well, no rush

Crunchyroll posted:

Due to production issues, episode 1 will be delayed. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maidragon was goofy and fun but I feel like it's not quiiiite capturing the sense of barely contained madness that the characters had in the manga. It's decompressed the pacing a little bit too. Great animation, but I think I'd still recommend the manga over the anime to a friend who'd seen neither.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I rather enjoyed that first episode of Onihei.

That and Little Witch Academia seem like all I'll be watching this season.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

She only likes him because he has the will power to not get visibly super aroused upon touching her

you're forgetting his sexy arms

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster Boys.

where are they?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I didn't really like or dislike Maid Dragon, for what it was it's fine I suppose. But I kind of knew that'd be my reaction since I can't recall ever getting too far in the manga for the same reason.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I'm curious how they'll end up laying out the episodes, since many of the chapters after Kanna is introduced can just go wherever. First episode was about 3 or 4 chapters, so they could end up getting pretty far in.

For what it's worth, the Sakuga blog guy's saying that (minor spoilers?) Kanna's Parents Day from like volume 4 is going to be in episode 4, so that certainly suggests that we're going to be rearranging things quite a bit. I'm more interested to see how much original material Kyoani puts in. There were already some bits here and there throughout episode 1.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I've seen that CK's works kinda divide goons down a line: on one side, some of us really like them. On the other, people are just kinda disinterested (in that "meh, take it or leave it, but I'd rather allot time to something else" sense)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ojojojo is still his best series.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sakurazuka posted:

:yeah:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that one is great. Too bad it barely ever gets updated. It's probably finished anyway for all I know, IIRC CK said it was only meant to be a 1 or 2 volume endeavor in the first place.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed Maidragon since it's goofy and cute and features people in software jobs being annoyed at their jobs.

This. Having no experience with the manga I was (very pleasantly) surprised at the percentage of jokes that were on this level. They were not shy on going deep with the "Daily life of Office Lady who is jaded by all the nonsense that comes with a programming job" jokes, and it looks like they are only getting started. I selfishly look forward to more even though I know tons of these jokes and references won't ring with many viewers.

The dragon stuff is p funny too, for the record. Good first ep, looks like the potential for Solid Stuff.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
https://twitter.com/Uchoten2_EN/status/819453546126917632

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

elDLIVE: Very much a Shonen Jump thing, may watch ep 2 for the heck of it but it rather bland overall.

Maidragon: I liked.

Piacevole: I like the anime better than the manga so far, may also be related to the anime presenting things in smaller chunks, and actually somewhat slower paced.

KonoSuba S2: Yes.

AKIBASTRIP: Still like after ep 2. Definitely a fanservice show in every sense of the word, also product placement show. The Momoi Halko cameo was nice.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Piacevole is cute. I hope to learn more about Italian food

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

This. Having no experience with the manga I was (very pleasantly) surprised at the percentage of jokes that were on this level. They were not shy on going deep with the "Daily life of Office Lady who is jaded by all the nonsense that comes with a programming job" jokes, and it looks like they are only getting started. I selfishly look forward to more even though I know tons of these jokes and references won't ring with many viewers.

The dragon stuff is p funny too, for the record. Good first ep, looks like the potential for Solid Stuff.

Not to shove you away from watching it or anything, since I am excited for it, but daily life of a programmer is not really a big part of the manga so I wouldn't expect it to feature very heavily from here on. They are most likely going to put more focus on the relationship between Kobayashi and Tooru, judging by the first episode.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

yay! I need to get around to finishing the first season at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Everything Burrito posted:

yay! I need to get around to finishing the first season at some point.

yeah same here, it seemed really cool but also pretty dense and at the time it was airing i had too much going on to give it my full attention

• Locked thread