Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So tired of these comics that are CLEARLY only getting made to be optioned by the big studios.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

So tired of these comics that are CLEARLY only getting made to be optioned by the big studios.......

Which ones?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cowboys versus Aliens.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Snak posted:

Cowboys versus Aliens.

Oh god. That movie was completely wretched. It's so far from being the fun or entertaining in anyway. I always completely forget it exists until someone mentions it. I think I can confidently say it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You approach the creation of an artwork as a technical problem to be solved, because you fear adversity.

I will review your screenplay, and you will have access to a power beyond your imaginings. If you wish.

A screenplay is in some regards a technical problem to be solved - once the inspiration and germ of the story have arisen. Artistry without technique is doomed. I don't know how one works on better artistry; but one can work on better technique to realise the ideas one has.

All this is leaving aside any discussion on to what extent a screenplay is a work of art. Manchester By The Sea? Maybe. Probably. At least to quite a high degree. Avengers: Age of Ultron? Uh, less so if at all (which is not to say it can't have elements of artistry). But almost no screenplay is wholly a work of art.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
My YTOTD is a supremely talented pianist listening to video game themes and immediately playing them on piano awesomely. The channel its on has her doing this a lot with different themes, and it's just amazing how she can pull it off.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the tedium is the message

This got passed over but I think it's a great post and would make a great forum title

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hand Knit posted:

This got passed over but I think it's a great post and would make a great forum title

Yeah, I forgot to say how good it was too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Armond White's misgivings aside, when he's on fire he comes up with some winners:

"The Star Wars Generation — that unfortunate rabble primed to see these films at the precise moment they were becoming culturally responsive — are not necessarily the audience the movie brats deserved; they’re spawn of Baby Boomer affluence and narcissism. Star Wars turned their natural curiosity and wonder into self-satisfaction, artificially dependent on media and merchandising (a tragedy also evident in Apple and Pixar evangelism)."

FCH reads more.. analytic, I guess?

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 12, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You know that film crit hulk is Devin Faraci right

This makes that Film Crit Hulk article on sexual assault so much worse.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

the tedium is the message

drat

Why go with anything but the original?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uv_WGEHr4I

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Devin and Hulk are not the same person.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H18RUB1cxfI

Mike Stoklasa is so old now.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Please answer the following question on a scale from "yes" to "hell yes:" should I go see The Running Man in theaters next month?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Please answer the following question on a scale from "yes" to "hell yes:" should I go see The Running Man in theaters next month?

Why is this even a question.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Unironic woke Plinkett.

stop stop he's already dead

Honestly, I think I remember liking FCH's James Bond retrospective and his Mulholland Drive analysis but I've never gone back to them because the gimmick is exhausting and every time waivers from talking about solely film it's embarrassing

weekly font fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 12, 2017

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Angel posted:

[softly, gently] Yikes

mods change my name to unironic woke plinkett

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

stop stop he's already dead

Honestly, I think I remember liking FCH's James Bond retrospective and his Mulholland Drive analysis but I've never gone back to them :shrug:

he wrote an entire article in FCH voice about why the first two weezer albums are the only good ones

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

he wrote an entire article in FCH voice about why the first two weezer albums are the only good ones

Well I mean, he's right.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Actually "right" would be not writing an article about Weezer at all because who gives a gently caress about Weezer anymore?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
HERE IS WHY I STICK WITH BETTER THAN EZRA'S EARLY STUFF

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gt2XnD1Mzs

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

CPL593H posted:

Why is this even a question.

Because I need to know if "yes" or "hell yes" is the proper response to watching The Running Man on the big screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Actually "right" would be not writing an article about Weezer at all because who gives a gently caress about Weezer anymore?

My wife gets mad at me every time I groan when one of their songs comes on the radio.

loving sweater song.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

My wife gets mad at me every time I groan when one of their songs comes on the radio.

loving sweater song.

PULL THE STRING... AS I WALK AWAYYY

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The Blue Album rules, Pinkerton has good music but maybe has the creepiest lyrics I've ever encountered.

Timby posted:

loving sweater song.

PULL THIS THREAD AS I WALK AWAAAAAAAY

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W64pLR3WjM

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What do you call that thing Weezer always does where the guitar solos sound exactly like the vocals

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I need to find a good media outlet that will publish my long anticipated "In Defense of Antichrist Superstar and The Downward Spiral" article.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I need to find a good media outlet that will publish my long anticipated "In Defense of Antichrist Superstar and The Downward Spiral" article.

H-hey...:smith:

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

That was sincere. I have loved both of those albums since they came out and i think both take an interesting perspective on nihilism, with divergent conclusions.

(In the end i prefer ACS)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I Before E posted:

I think we can close the thread now because nothing that follows will be as devastating as this.

Wait wait I got one more:

You know that episode of King of the Hill where Bill dresses as Santa for Christmas and everyone thinks it's cute and he can't let go of that feeling so he starts dressing as Santa all year round and it gets really sad? That's Film Crit Hulk.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

Oh god. That movie was completely wretched. It's so far from being the fun or entertaining in anyway. I always completely forget it exists until someone mentions it. I think I can confidently say it's one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

It actually had a lot going for it and some cool ideas. But then it also had some completely loving stupid bullshit that ruined the whole thing.

I don't think could be fixed in editing, I think some pretty significant rewrites would be needed to salvage the good parts of it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You know that episode of King of the Hill where Bill dresses as Santa for Christmas and everyone thinks it's cute and he can't let go of that feeling so he starts dressing as Santa all year round and it gets really sad? That's Film Crit Hulk.

:drat:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

therattle posted:

A screenplay is in some regards a technical problem to be solved - once the inspiration and germ of the story have arisen. Artistry without technique is doomed. I don't know how one works on better artistry; but one can work on better technique to realise the ideas one has.

The issue, leaving aside that it's an Invader Zim fanfilm with the same estimated runtime as James Cameron's Avatar, is that CelticPredator approaches it as a purely technical problem. This means the concept of 'good characters' has already been set for him in advance by a dude calling himself MOVIE REVIEW HULK, who is 'apolitically' telling him that characters naturally are this, and 'acceptable' characters naturally do this. Implicitly, society itself has natural qualities. As a direct consequence, CelticPredator is now caught in a years-long process of refining what is, unwittingly, a recreation of Akiva Goldsman's A Beautiful Mind script - but set in a highschool. And 'silly'.

The personal is political. Characterization without an understanding of socioeconomic contexts will certainly result in a cluster of essentialist cliches failing about in pursuit of cats to save. Why is the protagonist 'obsessed with the paranormal'? That's not uncontentious. You immediately/inherently have a conflict between the New Age ideology of MUFON (the extraterrestrial hypothesis - alien spacecraft actually exist and vibrate in from higher planes of reality or whatever) and the ideological critique of Magonia (the psycho-social hypothesis - alien beliefs are a form of 'cognitive mapping' to make sense of life under capitalism). That's where 'alienation' potentially takes on its full weight. Is the character ostracized because he's alienated, or alienated because he's ostracized?

We can even go back a step and ask 'why highschool?' You have implicit Labyrinth / Shaun Of The Dead psychosexual narrative about 'putting away childish things' and becoming a contributing member of society. The zombies are just a plot device that vanishes from sight the moment we have the production of the couple. You can already guess that CP's script is about how to stop worrying, and love the bomb.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

i concur

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's the single best description of him I've read.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
King of the Hill is really good.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
US Troops under a NATO banner are being deployed into Poland and other Eastern European nations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5r8lsL0JSA

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-Ray Pecs posted:

US Troops under a NATO banner are being deployed into Poland and other Eastern European nations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5r8lsL0JSA

I'm not watching some video. Why are we invading Poland?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Uh, you do realise that Poland is a part of NATO, right?

• Locked thread