Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'd jump on a boost instantly on one character to see how the expansion looks and to go raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
we are now recruiting a caster DPS for our raid static since ours recently got a new job (grats to him)

if you have a SMN or a BLM, have some raid experience, are interested in raiding with a EST timezone static, and can commit to a set raid time, please PM me here or on discord @ rafza#6713

thanx

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I had a dream that I returned to playing World of Warcraft and now I feel icky.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Y'all ready to farm some light?!

Rumor has it you have to get a Runic drop from the end of specific dungeons, then infuse the rune with 3 of an item bought for 1000 lore each, then seal it by farming light. Then start the process over on the next Rune. They must be done sequentially.

No one actually knows what the next step is. :ssh:

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 12, 2017

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.
So from the discussions here I'm getting that, as a newer player, I'll have to play through the entirety of the level 50 story to get to Heavenward. What does that entail? It's monumentally stupid either way but I might just straight stop playing if those quests require doing a raid or time locked grinds.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Parasara posted:

So from the discussions here I'm getting that, as a newer player, I'll have to play through the entirety of the level 50 story to get to Heavenward. What does that entail? It's monumentally stupid either way but I might just straight stop playing if those quests require doing a raid or time locked grinds.

They don't.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Parasara posted:

No time locked grinds, there's a few mandatory 8mans and dungeons but even as a DPS there's never more than a 5-10 min wait. The game does a good job of rewarding higher level players for doing older content so there's never a shortage of people in the queue.

There's an 8man at the end of the story that might be considered a raid but the mobs and bosses die so fast that by the time you finish the introduction cut scene the death scene is playing.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 12, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Again? Jeez. I'm never going to catch up with this anima stuff.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Parasara posted:

Mordiceius posted:

They don't.

I quit after doing Twintania way back when that was The Hotness, and I assume you don't have to engage in Hard Mode Primals (I guess there is yet another difficulty beyond this, Super Saiyan 3 Primals???) or any of the Binding Coil stuff starting whatever quest chain takes you to Heavensward content

But if it requires you to beat the main story quest from ARR, that definitely has at least one eight-man thing I remember, and I remember people being super loving retarded and being really bad at it

Anyway I got the new bundle for $20 so I'm gonna be a Machinist, idgaf if people think it sucks

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Parasara posted:

It's 100 quests, 80% of which are ping pong fetch.

There's 2 dungeons and some trials in there, but that's it.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Parasara posted:

It entails you doing quests, some trials, some dungeons. It's the same experience from 1-50 and the quality varies as did the grind from 1-50. Heavensward picks up after Patch 2.5, not after 2.0. All raids are optional. However, both of the 2.0 raids are hilariously easy at this point, are likely to have slower entry times (except CT on a bad day as a dps), and have good stories so they're worth doing. If only to take a break from doing *insert thing I don't like here*.

I don't know what a time locked grind is though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

guts and bolts posted:

I quit after doing Twintania way back when that was The Hotness, and I assume you don't have to engage in Hard Mode Primals (I guess there is yet another difficulty beyond this, Super Saiyan 3 Primals???) or any of the Binding Coil stuff starting whatever quest chain takes you to Heavensward content
You have to do Hard primals, which are just level 50 versions of the original fights with a couple extra mechanics, but don't have to do Extreme, which are the actually challenging (at level 50) ones.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

guts and bolts posted:

But if it requires you to beat the main story quest from ARR, that definitely has at least one eight-man thing I remember, and I remember people being super loving retarded and being really bad at it

Anyway I got the new bundle for $20 so I'm gonna be a Machinist, idgaf if people think it sucks

As it turns out you aren't going to make a machinist for awhile because it's locked behind heavensward access.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

what do you mean easier there's two UI elements for it, place them somewhere you can see them

What do you mean?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

guts and bolts posted:

lmbo at anyone that thinks huge bigdick wildfire crits "suck"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thumbtacks posted:

What do you mean?
Buff and Debuff icons. Those are the two UI elements you need to keep an eye on.

Debuffs can be hard when you're in a SMN/SCH heavy 24 man but in general you should be keeping Dragon Kick and Devastate up as part of your key combo (devastate, ~2 snap punches, devastate.)
Fist of Death's a bit harder to time since it's usually only worth it on bosses (everything else dies too fast.)

For when you're partied with another MNK, green debuff icons are yours, grey is others. You'll probably be trading off Dragon Kick's but everything else should have a separate icon.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 12, 2017

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

boy are my arms tired posted:

Forever chasing those big boom dreams

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I haven't played Machinist so I don't know how they are quality wise but as far as I know they don't "suck", it's just more that their gameplay is poo poo because it revolves around only getting to do any actual damage when Wildfire comes off cooldown.

Parasara
Sep 17, 2014

Next time I see that woman, I'm shooting her, and not in the knee.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't know what a time locked grind is though.

A quest that requires 100 widgets to complete but you are capped at getting 10 per day, for example

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the flip side, their post-50 castbar mechanic works way better with the rest of their job mechanics than bard's equivalent does.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Parasara posted:

A quest that requires 100 widgets to complete but you are capped at getting 10 per day, for example

i just went 1-60 and finished the HW patch stuff and no, you won't run into that

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

cheetah7071 posted:

Dungeon tier list

D tier
Halatali Hard
I will fight you.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

boy are my arms tired posted:

quoting for truth

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
new famitsu interview, slightly spoilery stuff

new relic steps
3.5 - 270 "will be kinda hell"
3.55 - 275 "easy and casual"
aether oil and umbrite steps will be nerfed

jump potions
most feedback are people worried about people not knowing rotations, but people who level through fates and the like don't know anyway
will be 2 msq potions, one to skip 2.55 and one to skip 3.55. they won't be released at the same time

misc stuff
new 24 man won't have gobdip until 3.55
zurvan will drop weapons
AFTER the germany fanfest, 24 man proto ultima trial - drops accessories
bird mount drops up to sophia will be nerfed (probably means increased)
4.0 will be the end of current style of relics, expect acquiring them to be much different
new diadem secret dungeon will have different mechanics from 24 man raids (parties splitting up and going different routs to open new progression paths)
feedback from diadem will affect eureka (they're the same but different)
new "lucis" tools are achievement only because previous 2.x crafting difficulty to acquire them was too "intensive"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Velthice posted:

new relic steps
3.5 - 270 "will be kinda hell"
3.55 - 275 "easy and casual"
aether oil and umbrite steps will be nerfed

As someone who is still sitting on two aether oils because he just can't be bothered, I'm looking forward to a new form of hell-grind for a weapon I should probably just ignore in favor of the glowy PotD one.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
here's the interview in case people wanna read it themselves/double check stuff

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201701/12124568.html

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Potd is more boring than most of the relic steps.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Velthice posted:

new diadem secret dungeon will have different mechanics from 24 man raids (parties splitting up and going different routs to open new progression paths)

yes

YES

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

kojei posted:

quoting for truth

when i shift to red mage im gonna out dps u

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Velthice posted:

new "lucis" tools are achievement only because previous 2.x crafting difficulty to acquire them was too "intensive"
This sounds like the opposite of fun if they're locked behind crafting a jillion loving things rather than just crafting one thing really well

(but I'm looking forward to the 270 relic hellgrind because I am a broken man so I can't complain, really)

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Finished leveling MNK last night, and it's probably my favorite DPS class that I've maxed out.

Velthice posted:

AFTER the germany fanfest, 24 man proto ultima trial - drops accessories

What's this then?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I'm still about 40 points out from finishing my umbrite step. :negative:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would play Neverreap 9 times out of 10 over ARF. It's a fast and easy dungeon (faster than fractal, actually!), and even as a BLM it's not hard to keep your DPS over 1k for the final boss. I think people just hated it because of how long it was 1 of 2 EXDR dungeons during 3.0.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BrightWing posted:

I'm still about 40 points out from finishing my umbrite step. :negative:

I'm 34 points away, :suicide:

I have noticed that I've been getting more bonus sand recently, so I wonder if the formula has been tweeked ever so slightly.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm waiting to cash in any umbrite/lore until Tuesday

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm 34 points away, :suicide:

I have noticed that I've been getting more bonus sand recently, so I wonder if the formula has been tweeked ever so slightly.

Nope, just lucky. The step afterwards is much easier anyways, and doable without constantly grinding for lore.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

it's just a small steam roller, ergo, for a big pothole, they use the thing they used to lay the road in the first place (a steam roller)

um WRONG apparently the roller bit vibrates up and down on a pothole-fixing machine, because otherwise the patch mixture doesn't set properly

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SirPhoebos posted:

What's this then?

They showcased a 24 man Proto Ultima trial at the fanfests. It's basically Ultima Bard Mode++ and pretty fun!

Like the other 24 man raids it isn't especially hard, but you can't have everything I guess.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
An especially hard 24-man would be pretty poo poo imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thundarr posted:

They showcased a 24 man Proto Ultima trial at the fanfests. It's basically Ultima Bard Mode++ and pretty fun!

Like the other 24 man raids it isn't especially hard, but you can't have everything I guess.

Like the other 24 man raids, its difficulty will stem primarily from the 23 people you're grouped with.

• Locked thread