Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The bottom of my soul and the bottom of my lane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

He was also a good midlaner for about ten minutes.

Eh he was a good midlaner if your Faker. I don't remember him being played by anyone else competitively. Also as a midlaner I never saw him mid either in soloq. I remember seeing Irelia mid quite often which was another pick Faker popularized around the same time. Yi is just too feast or famine and has wonky mechanics. There are some skillshots his q will never dodge and his passive is buggy with guinsoo/bloodrazor. I think he is a good champion in lower elo like bronze - gold. Plat+ u have to really know how to pressure, when to teamfight/split.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 12, 2017

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

pog boyfriend posted:

master yi you odious blademan, you living pile of putrid garbage - good job on taking the top towers with your split pushing. however you are still an unredeemable piece of poo poo and i hate you from the bottom of my soul.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The biggest sin Rito has ever comitted has been that they've yet to give Yi a construction worker skin

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I both hate and love that they killed AP Yi.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
odious blademan is a good account name

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Any recommendations for cheap (450/1350ip), simple champions for a newbie in solo queue if I want to be able to fill any position? They start you off with Ashe and Garen, so I guess that's bot adc and top covered. It looks like Warwick is considered a starter jungler, though I'm not sure if that changes greatly with the upcoming rework. Would Kayle be good enough to flex cover mid and support, or should I spring for someone like Malphite for support?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

FutureCop posted:

Any recommendations for cheap (450/1350ip), simple champions for a newbie in solo queue if I want to be able to fill any position? They start you off with Ashe and Garen, so I guess that's bot adc and top covered. It looks like Warwick is considered a starter jungler, though I'm not sure if that changes greatly with the upcoming rework. Would Kayle be good enough to flex cover mid and support, or should I spring for someone like Malphite for support?

Kayle can be played in literally every position, so yeah that's a good one.

Morgana and Karma can be played top/mid/support.

Malphite can go top/jungle/mid/support(?).

Ziggs can go mid/ADC/support (and you could probably run him top if you really wanted to).

e: oh you said cheap, sorry. Malphite is probably a good choice for someone cheap. If you really want cheap, get Annie, who can go top/mid/support, amumu for jungle, and kayle. Those are all 450 IP.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

FutureCop posted:

Top: Poppy
Jungle: Poppy/Nunu
Mid: Annie
Support: Poppy/Soraka

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

soraka for support, annie mid. probably just dont play adc honestly.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
you can get tristana for free, she's a simple adc with an escape. nobody plays her anymore but i still think she's fun

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i really like the poppy top suggestion but i really dislike the poppy support suggestion. melee supports are harder to learn and really hard to play into any kind of ranged support.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

warwick's looking like he'll become pretty good while still being somewhat straightforward, might be worth picking up when the update goes live

gonna be weird that warwick will be able to do level 3 ganks

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gently caress a fighting game, gimme a dynasty-warriors alike. wanna crush some fools as sion.

also malzahar is fun

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Nonono,

It needs to be a phone based f2p trading card battle game where you acquire cards with money via a time delayed farm mechanic.

Also it's an mmo

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

FutureCop posted:

If you're willing to go just a little bit more expensive (1350ip), always be Janna when supporting.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
dating sim elements please.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Lovechop posted:

you can get tristana for free, she's a simple adc with an escape. nobody plays her anymore but i still think she's fun

Tristana is probably the best example of an easy to understand ADC, she is very forgiving and I would recommend her as well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

How Rude posted:

Tristana is probably the best example of an easy to understand ADC, she is very forgiving and I would recommend her as well.

These things are more true for Ziggs

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ziggs also costs $18 rp to buy

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Wild boys! Wild boys! Wild boys!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

How Rude posted:

I'd recommend her on the condition that you also buy Ashe. A lot of ADC's are too reliant on dashes to escape bad positioning, so it's good to have someone who just cant do that so you can force yourself into good habits before bad ones get ingrained. Sort of like how you dont want a new player to play mundo (unless you're an rear end in a top hat who just wants to win games and not help them out)

I mean any adc atm is going to feel like being a grunt soldier in vietnam with a foot halfway into a punji stake, but that will just make the learning experience go faster, fight or flight my lovelies

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

laning against support malzahar is the least fun you can have in league of legends because not only are you playing bot lane in 2017 but also you are up against that loving jabroni

How Rude posted:

not only that but also tristana makes for an easy tower pusher and gets pretty long range in lategame which is always great to have in games. nobody ever complains about a long range, safe markswoman that can blow up towers quickly.

pog boyfriend fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 12, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

If you're willing to go just a little bit more expensive (1350ip), always be Janna when supporting.
Janna is certainly better than raka atm but I'd say she's harder to play if you're super new to the game.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

ArbitraryC posted:

Janna is certainly better than raka atm but I'd say she's harder to play if you're super new to the game.

I agree with this - Janna's play pattern is not really intuitive at all.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
support annie sucks really bad now, she doesn't scale well without farm and gets ruined by poke lanes which are extremely popular right now. she's also the only all in support that requires flash to do her job I believe

if you want cheap supps I'd echo soraka and morgana, also janna I think she's cheap

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
having a decent champ for every lane is cool, but if you are just starting out i think one tricking, or as close to it as you can get (say queuing top/mid and playing the same solo lane champ) is a way better. even something terrible like top annie.

what's gonna make you better is understanding the game, not wasting time learning a gently caress ton of champs. even "braindead" champs can honestly be hard to execute on consistently, and really learning one champ inside and out will make it easier to conceptualize what you need to pick up when learning a new champ. you'll become a better player spamming teemo and getting to say, plat then being stuck in silver but playing all the roles. mostly because you most likely won't even be close to playing any role correctly if you are in silver. it might be boring for a bit but you'll have a lot more fun later playing actual games of lol instead learning bad habits because you can't even really parse why you are winning/losing games.

it'll make getting help from good people by watching your vods easier too, and that's really huge

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

To expand on that, learning the game basics through a simple champion that will apply through every other champion is a good idea. I think Morgana is one of the best champs for newer players. She teaches you how to skillshot (binding) and how to reactively react to enemies (Dark Shield.) You learn how to control minions with her Pool, and how to poke safely, how to use Zonyas (which is a good skill to learn) and her ult rewards good planning and setup.

She is a safe champion with simple mechanics, and learning to play her well will teach you fundamentals you can apply to nearly every other champion. She is a solid middle-tier champion who is a good choice in almost any team, and she can flex to several lanes. She's also cheap, and can be bought quickly. So yep, Morg's my go-to recommendation for new players.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mirrorquiz posted:

having a decent champ for every lane is cool, but if you are just starting out i think one tricking, or as close to it as you can get (say queuing top/mid and playing the same solo lane champ) is a way better. even something terrible like top annie.

this matters a lot because learning fundamentals is the most important thing in league of legends. even right now at a garbage skill level and almost no game experience i can still beat the stuffing out of platinum and diamond players when i queue with high ranked friends because stuff like last hitting, timing cooldowns and map awareness is champion and matchup independent. if you try to learn a bunch of characters that gets in the way of learning the meat of the soup. unless you are vegan, and then like the chickpeas ..? vegan posters please pm me

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Is morg support still a thing or what

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Darth Windu posted:

It is sometimes. She got nerfed a bit but you can still play her down there.

Speaking of supports, Meddler is suppsoed to have a "huge announcement" about Supports next week involving making them more appealing to play. I don't know what it will be but from recent Riot experiments it will probably suck for anyone who currently plays support.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
haha funny joke imagine if we actually did these things

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

warrior has remained one of the most gold efficient items you can buy forever and you would need a really good reason to not buy it on lee

Let's not forget Magus enchant, 80 AP and 20% CDR for 1400g.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

blah_blah posted:

Let's not forget Magus enchant, 80 AP and 20% CDR for 1400g.

the jungle enchants don't really cost 1400 though since the jungle half of the item doesn't have 1000 gold worth of combat stats. that one was still incredibly efficient at 2500 though or whatever the total was.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Darth Windu posted:

She's good but has bad matchups against meta supports, she's more powerful vs. slow, deliberate stuff like Thresh and Braum

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Posting to find something in my history

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Ulio posted:

Eh he was a good midlaner if your Faker. I don't remember him being played by anyone else competitively.
Pre-rework AP Yi was played mid by a bunch of players, including the greatest AP Yi of all time, Alex Ich :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XruILpU6EQU

RealFoxy posted:

Speaking of supports, Meddler is suppsoed to have a "huge announcement" about Supports next week involving making them more appealing to play. I don't know what it will be but from recent Riot experiments it will probably suck for anyone who currently plays support.
The common suggestion for this is bonus IP for playing support, but I don't know how workable that actually is.

Tales of Woe posted:

the jungle enchants don't really cost 1400 though since the jungle half of the item doesn't have 1000 gold worth of combat stats. that one was still incredibly efficient at 2500 though or whatever the total was.
Magus + the smite item cost 2250g for 2373g worth of stats, it was crazy good.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RealFoxy posted:

It probably can't get much worse, so I'm interested in whatever shakeup he has in his pocket.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

how do i get my team to fight in redemption circles they keep like kiting people out of the circles or other similarly retarded poo poo that just ends up getting them killed i tried pinging and chatting and so far nothing is working

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
What's Ur elo

• Locked thread