Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Oil of Paris posted:

if a thread or forum is so hosed up that it needs to have a mod installed, the contributors in that thread/forum who made it totally lovely are probably not the best people for recommendations

:classiclol:

Beet Wagon posted:

As exciting as it is going to be to read a bunch of rules-lawyering about why "lmao all homos should die of AIDS" is not in fact extreme enough to fall afoul of the new 'almost anything goes' rule, maybe we could revisit the huge announcement about how blanket hatred based on gender/race/whatever is cool and good as long as it isn't too bad, whatever that means?

It's pretty gross and I don't think d&d should head in that direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I donno if this is worth stating but I might as well:

I don't think you can have a Perfectly In The Middle Impartial Debate Forum and also be funny. While there are certainly jokes that can appeal to everyone a lot of political humor tends to involve punching at someone else's closely held beliefs and especially in the current climate that's going to be really hard to laugh off with a shrug. A lot of people are genuinely and wholeheartedly scared (and not just on the left side) and it's pretty hard to let that lead into even bitter and cynical humor.

I'm not really sure there's a solution to it but I don't really think you can expect impartiality from a subforum like this even if you had more diverse mods, not in the least because short of explicit statements you'll just get a lot of people rules lawyering or dog whistling around saying what they actually want to say until tempers flare. Which, again, the opposite of humor. You could try to make a more chill thread but understandably I think there isn't a ton of chill going on in the world right now.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

As exciting as it is going to be to read a bunch of rules-lawyering about why "lmao all homos should die of AIDS" is not in fact extreme enough to fall afoul of the new 'almost anything goes' rule, maybe we could revisit the huge announcement about how blanket hatred based on gender/race/whatever is cool and good as long as it isn't too bad, whatever that means?

lowtax said like 5 times that hatespeech is still banned lol no one thinks its ok to say "all homos should die of aids" thats a blatant strawman. like the whole announcement was that blanket hatred is not ok but using the word fag in a sentence doesnt count as blanket hatred

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not, and I'm sorry I implied this, and I'm also not the "main admin:" ZDR does so much more work keeping these forums going than me, and I was just made an admin alongside a few others all at once. Everyone here cares a lot about the forums, and I obviously spend a lot of time on them. It's been a frustrating few days and that all just spilled out.

you're by far the most active and level headed one I see. even if you lean towards the problems I think this thread brings up you are always reasonable.

these forums lack leadership, direction, and a vision. and that's a problem.

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

This whole idea behind this thread feels really inappropriate for a public forum.

it's like the democracy wall in china when a victor emerges we can purge the wrong-thinkers

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lowtax posted:

I believe the entire purpose of this thread was to point out that a forum called "Debate and Discuss" should be *more* lenient with free speech, as opposed to more intolerant. I do not believe anything said was to be interpreted as "we are racists and want more racists." It's kind of the exact opposite.

Listen, everybody is so quick to label everybody else. I'm accused of being alt right by the left, and a SJW by the alt right. Does one accusation have to be correct? No. Instantly labeling people, particularly as racists, is not conductive to either debate not discussion. Does me saying that make me racist?

Also I have no idea what the assertion is that I now encourage people to dox or harass people, I do not recall ever saying or inferring anything like that. It's another example of you're either with us or you're with them think. There are not just two groups of people with two different ideas in the world, and reducing discussion to that is ridiculous.

literally because you posted that funny photoshop from kiwifarms and said "hey maybe we can try and be more like this" clearly inferring being funny and creative, a ton of people are saying that you implied we should start doxxing and harassing people, since that is something else kiwifarms does. basically people just love to find things to be terrible about online.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

lowtax said like 5 times that hatespeech is still banned lol no one thinks its ok to say "all homos should die of aids" thats a blatant strawman. like the whole announcement was that blanket hatred is not ok but using the word fag in a sentence doesnt count as blanket hatred

perhaps, it does

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

paranoid randroid posted:

id like to request a clarification regarding the verbiage "especially extreme" because ive got a thread idea percolating here, but im not sure if a discussion on my sincere belief that Armenians can astrally project into peoples dreams to steal their bank information is protected under this new rubric

It doesn't matter what anyone posts though, someone will find fault somehow, and turn it into some big argument about why .999=1 or pizza with pineapple is bad.

Besides, people are racists because they are boring. Hey look at this guy, he is different and I am not, so he must be wrong.

Been this way since we penned in ink, i suspects.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

if a thread or forum is so hosed up that it needs to have a mod installed, the contributors in that thread/forum who made it totally lovely are probably not the best people for recommendations

Is that really how you see what happened? Negrotown was hosed up because of the regular posters, and not the random shitposters who would just drop in to troll?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

i know that the prevailing argument strategy in DnD is poo poo like this, but it makes you look like an idiot

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

perhaps, it does

well the person that runs the forums and most of the userbase does not agree with you on that so it seems like you're sol

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like the negrotown thread because the denizens get to ignore some of the forums rules, but I think the new D&D mod should be given a fair shake. People who melt down about 6 hour probations should probably be probated more and longer.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I believe the entire purpose of this thread was to point out that a forum called "Debate and Discuss" should be *more* lenient with free speech, as opposed to more intolerant. I do not believe anything said was to be interpreted as "we are racists and want more racists." It's kind of the exact opposite.

Listen, everybody is so quick to label everybody else. I'm accused of being alt right by the left, and a SJW by the alt right. Does one accusation have to be correct? No. Instantly labeling people, particularly as racists, is not conductive to either debate not discussion. Does me saying that make me racist?

Also I have no idea what the assertion is that I now encourage people to dox or harass people, I do not recall ever saying or inferring anything like that. It's another example of you're either with us or you're with them think. There are not just two groups of people with two different ideas in the world, and reducing discussion to that is ridiculous.

Frame this post.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lowtax posted:

Yeah, this is fair. Part of me wants some sort of public denunciation of this other site, like that's going to stop them or it's the reason it started. That doesn't actually solve the problem, I just can't shout at their dumb asses because they're on another website.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

perhaps, but then you have a lot of people more interested in circlejerking about how Good and Positive they are and if you reduce your opponent to a single Bad Thing like a racist then you can just dismiss anything they say and refuse to engage because they are Bad and you are Good

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lowtax posted:

To give a topical example of this that's recently happened; post-election there's been more gbs regulars interacting with the D&D forum. Some of them have weird opinions, some dont. some posted in gamergate threads or other drama threads, some didnt. A lot of them are treated like scheming outsiders and lumped together as Alt Right Infiltrators for some reason or another.

I like arguing and I like reading arguments, the new posters showing up to keep the forum active is Good and Cool, and should be encouraged instead of looking for the first unusual opinion to squeeze a probe/ban out of.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Nevvy Z posted:

Is that really how you see what happened? Negrotown was hosed up because of the regular posters, and not the random shitposters who would just drop in to troll?

i did not read the thread but installing a popular poster, especially in a ideologically divided setting, is a set up for drama exactly like we are seeing here

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

thank you

all anyone is saying is that when someone comes in here with an opinion you find disturbing, you tell them why it is wrong. like it or not, these forums are mostly stupid ignorant white people. full of white tears. like the good ol' country of the USA most of you live in and despise.

if you are not willing to educate, debate, and explain to people why their opinions are wrong in your view and instead just label them racists and dogpile upon them shouting them down, then just rename this forum the safe space

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

i know that the prevailing argument strategy in DnD is poo poo like this, but it makes you look like an idiot

Negrotown has forever been the victim of the non-black posters running in there and taking gigantic dumps on the decency and respect of the people in that thread, and that's regardless of gfsincere being extremely dumb.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Oil of Paris posted:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oil of Paris posted:

*totally appropriate and cool gif of tv person or celebrity i like doing something so i dont have to actually think or use words to respond*

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I donno if this is worth stating but I might as well:

I don't think you can have a Perfectly In The Middle Impartial Debate Forum and also be funny. While there are certainly jokes that can appeal to everyone a lot of political humor tends to involve punching at someone else's closely held beliefs and especially in the current climate that's going to be really hard to laugh off with a shrug. A lot of people are genuinely and wholeheartedly scared (and not just on the left side) and it's pretty hard to let that lead into even bitter and cynical humor.

I'm not really sure there's a solution to it but I don't really think you can expect impartiality from a subforum like this even if you had more diverse mods, not in the least because short of explicit statements you'll just get a lot of people rules lawyering or dog whistling around saying what they actually want to say until tempers flare. Which, again, the opposite of humor. You could try to make a more chill thread but understandably I think there isn't a ton of chill going on in the world right now.

id argue that you cannot have a Perfectly in the Middle Impartial Debate Forum and also be coherent let alone funny. because if you enforce no curation beyond nebulous differentiations between levels of extremity, you end up with a situation where my sincere belief in Armenian Astral Projection Identity Theft is afforded the same level of admissibility as your sincere belief in whatever.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Tolkien minority posted:

Lady's post obfuscates the whole issue:

LadyAmbien posted:

It does not exist to be a special space for you to all circle jerk each other off and feel superior to anyone who thinks differently EVEN IF that opinion is offensive.

This is a place where people pay to post, and have a right to express their personal opinions as long as they are not personally attacking anyone else. Which does NOT include blanket statements regarding groups, unless it is especially extreme.

Essentially, people are taking a look at that and inferring as long as you aren't using specific slurs, it's going to be harder to police hate speech.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, this is fair. Part of me wants some sort of public denunciation of this other site, like that's going to stop them or it's the reason it started. That doesn't actually solve the problem, I just can't shout at their dumb asses because they're on another website.

uh maybe you should take a breather dude its just forums drama

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Define Hate Speech.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

*totally appropriate and cool gif of tv person or celebrity i like doing something so i dont have to actually think or use words to respond*

So I guess this wraps back around to people getting mad at a handful of six hour probations? because that's some pretty weak poo poo, op

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
lol at mods upset that LadyAmbien posted this in public

Clearly it was done to show, publicly, that you're getting called out for doing a bad job and the consequences of not changing. I mean that's in the first post. To put it another way. You're doing a bad job running this subforum and instead of accepting that your fake boss will fire you for not meeting your comedy quota, you're complaining it wasn't done in private so nobody will know you are getting called out for being bad.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

So I guess this wraps back around to people getting mad at a handful of six hour probations? because that's some pretty weak poo poo, op

i dont give a poo poo about 6 hour probations i just want somethingawful to be a level of discourse higher than tumblr

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sad my geocities website is gone, cause hoo-boy.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I would include:

Examples being Vilerat, who worked as US diplomatic staff, and Brown Moses, who I'm pretty sure works in intelligence.

Speaking of, maybe it's time to take vilerat off the mod list? It's sad, but we're seeing new mods now and new people might get confused about it.

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad there's so much spirited discussion happening around questions of free speech and impartiality, but we just had to hide a thread because Kiwifarms members were using it to doxx and collect personal information on a bunch of our posters. I consider that a way bigger problem than the ongoing debate about D&D moderation. So if this is where we're having modding discussions now, I'm concerned about the fact that you and Lowtax have so wholeheartedly endorsed the site. I think encouraging people on SA to act more like a website that runs a wiki in which they have detailed every single moment of a person's life, down to the shirts he wears, and has entire forums dedicated to doxxing and harassing minorities online is a huge issue. A much bigger one than questions of mod bias, use of slurs on the site, how to handle political discussions in GBS, etc. We need to make it very, very clear that doxxing people, trying to dig up their information, or harassing them off SA isn't okay at all, and people who want to do that aren't welcome here.

So what about the Iron rose making GBS threads on LMO? He didnt want to do it on this site so he went somewhere else to do it. Just like how I keep getting people trying to troll me for "whinning" about that sixer you gave me. Maybe there should be a rule that you dont import poo poo off site. Maybe PM a admin or Mod. Oh yeah it was a mod who posted about my whinning in QCS.

Doxxxing is serious and I would suggest lawtax and mods run something like the SA Protection program. Start creating a bunch of fake accounts age them have them post here and there. and then fake ban people. Oh course the people being targeted better change their posting style so they cant be identified. I know I sound like I am joking but jesus this is just the internet and you shouldnt have people calling your work harassing you for poo poo.

What gets people screwed is that they keep using the same screen name, or people quote mine them for bread crumbs. But after seeing what Kiwifarms did with shmorky....good loving god, I d be making GBS threads myself.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

I admit that a part of it came from a misunderstanding on both parties (me treating the thread as a D&D thread instead of an embodiment of all black D&D posters, them for not realizing thats what I was doing and not coming in to violently disprove everyones beliefs), but it's kind of emblematic of the issue when someone comes in to discuss something, putting heavy emphasis that they agree with each other, and gets barreled because apparently you're only supposed to Listen in that specific D&D thread, with no critiques allowed.

Like, it seems like if a thread isn't intended for debating, it shouldn't be in Debate and Discussion? It just seems like such a thread only exists in such a forum for the credibility that forum gives compared to any other forum on the Funny Website.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!

tell me about being a twee mexiphobe plz

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

Define Hate Speech.

Anything you don't like with swear words, probably?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

tell me about being a twee mexiphobe plz

it's pretty cool, i bake a lot and the pan dulce down here is delicious

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Doctor Butts posted:

Lady's post obfuscates the whole issue:

Essentially, people are taking a look at that and inferring as long as you aren't using specific slurs, it's going to be harder to police hate speech.

Yeah I kinda just think maybe this:

Which does NOT include blanket statements regarding groups, unless it is especially extreme.

Could be a little more clear. That's all. I understand it's difficult to put any hard rules on something like that (in regards to what blanket statements are okay and which ones aren't) but this just seems like it's inviting trouble.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Examples being Vilerat, who worked as US diplomatic staff, and Brown Moses, who I'm pretty sure works in intelligence.

Speaking of, maybe it's time to take vilerat off the mod list? It's sad, but we're seeing new mods now and new people might get confused about it.

The CIA really needs to take back control of their debate and discussion forum. :lol:

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Lowtax posted:

i think most people agree with you and for sure thinks that you and your family were unfairly treated by fantastically stupid comments about your parenting. some Let's Play people have auto-banned themselves over that, but i'd think that the vast, vast majority of people on SA believes you were in the right; that the Let's Play people over-reacted & absolutely deserved their bans.

the main thing that some of us are railing against, i think, is if KiwiFarms will be made out to be an example of what SA should be, because despite making content, KiwiFarms comes across as weirdo stalkers in just the same way that Something Sensitive does; they're just obsessed by the whole of the internet instead of just SA.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i think he is talking about the posting of gifs in response to posts as opposed to adding to the discussion not necessarily the use of gifs in probation reasons but i am not tolkien minority so this is conjecture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Tolkien minority posted:

Trouble reading faces and the emotions they are expressing?

Invisible Handjob posted:

if you are not willing to educate, debate, and explain to people why their opinions are wrong in your view and instead just label them racists and dogpile upon them shouting them down, then just rename this forum the safe space

Yeah, but at some point it's the same poeple over and over again doing the same poo poo because they can't be bothered to be educated.

• Locked thread