Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Invisible Handjob posted:

I already posted about how racism against Asians is mostly accepted on these forums in ways it isn't for other groups and was totally shut down / poo poo on / ignored in the QCS thread, so

don't ask this question

Pretty much all of the itt threads and .jpg threads in gbs are just making GBS threads on various groups of white people from different parts of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Dicky mouse posted:

To be fair when you put a face to a poster it can be pretty drat funny.

is it funny in my case tho

yeah probs

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

angerbeet posted:

This seems like it would have gone over better if you did it in the mod forum

this keeps being brought up by mods/former mods but isnt it better for a large and diverse group of users from the forums to discuss the climate most appropriate for the forums rather than have it arbitrarily be decided upon by mods

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lowtax posted:

I believe the entire purpose of this thread was to point out that a forum called "Debate and Discuss" should be *more* lenient with free speech, as opposed to more intolerant.

It would be nice, but knowing how people behave and some of the more abrasive personalities in this subforum it is unlikely. A lot of the stuff I see are just people making blanket accusations about someone who "has an opposing view" or is thought to. In one thread it caused such a derail FAU locked it twice. That sort of stuff I don't think should be tolerated as it does nothing to foster any semblance of a debate or discussion.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid posted:

with all due respect to the OP, surely you must have realized this thread would be absolutely loving dreadful

well dnd had a chance to rise above and engage in a way to prove her wrong

Alas Comma

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hogge Wild posted:

look ima a mod

best post in this thread haha

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Fight nice. I get to go home now. I'll be on later to read all your wonderful poo poo post.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

defectivemonkey posted:

Examples may help. Based on this post, it seems like you don't see a difference between the phrases "Pedophiles are bad" and "gay people are bad" and I'm assuming that's not what you meant.
Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet as a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

look ima a mod

edit: found by googling "tumblr style gifs" lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Office Surprise Store posted:

well dnd had a chance to rise above and engage in a way to prove her wrong

Alas Comma

This is the weirdest part of this.

Not everyone who disagrees with you is literally hitler and should be banned.

Well, well, well looks like the FUHRER over here wants to change things up.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

this happened immediately after km was modded, two days before this thread started

I don't have an opinion of KM but I imagine putting moderating up to a vote was kind of weird

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Lowtax posted:

Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet add a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

this would be a pretty great sentiment, if it had any basis in reality

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Hogge Wild posted:

look ima a mod

Wow white so fragile

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lowtax posted:

Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet add a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

a lot of dnd problems can be chalked up to about a half dozen extremely terrible posters. this isnt a response to what im quoting, just a FYI

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Chelb posted:

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!
The issue isn't that she handed out four six hour probations with gifs attached to them. The issue is that she handed out these probations while ignoring the lovely, antagonistic behaviour of another poster who was ideologically aligned with her. Another mod had to step in to hand down a probation in that case. One of the probations was explicitly in response to a poster not immediately conceding a point KM was making about normative language, thereby settling the debate by fiat. This is a mod that also told posters to "shut the gently caress up" about trans and black feminism unless they themselves were trans or black women, in a D&D thread that wasn't created for members of those communities to discuss their own issues. This is as close to silencing as you'll find on these forums.

Those are the issues. The length of the probation is hardly relevant, on principle it was an obscene double standard and an example of moderating according to their individual political beliefs and not with respect to the forum or thread rules.

And okay, fine, she's a new mod who is flexing her muscle a bit. Except it comes on the heels of Tiny Brontosaurus also getting oodles of free passes (not by KM obviously) before people in QCS complained enough to finally have her behaviour acknowledged and acted upon.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Racists have the rest of the internet all to themselves, idk, maybe we could have one forum without them?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Tolkien minority posted:

this keeps being brought up by mods/former mods but isnt it better for a large and diverse group of users from the forums to discuss the climate most appropriate for the forums rather than have it arbitrarily be decided upon by mods

I would have done it as a mod forum post first, then a post in whatever forum so there's a more unified approach to user's concerns

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
The biggest problem I've seen on this forum by far is that people with a perpetual chip on their shoulder have set up camp and predetermined that all posters are required to care just as much about their pet issues as they do.

poo poo just keeps getting recycled and escalated to ever more ridiculous extremes because nobody ever takes a break from crusading long enough for tensions to die down

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
For all the whining you can make about :discourse: you guys certainly get really upset when people say things in the way you don't want. Here's a great example of this, where "regular women", meaning to refer to women who are not engaging in activism, is taken to mean white and/or non-lgbtq women. There seems to be a lot of bad faith reading, a desire to be absolutely nasty and condescending, and an unwillingness to actually engage with people. As people have said these are issues in D&D that have existed for years, and if you ask me this kind of poo poo is why Trump loving won.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Neurolimal posted:

I don't have an opinion of KM but I imagine putting moderating up to a vote was kind of weird

I agree with this actually very reasonable sentiment

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

i don't know if this is the place for it but the autistic robot form of argument is incredibly exhausting and serves to just browbeat the opposition into shutting up by minmaxing intellectual discourse demanding a never ending series of examples and arguing endlessly about the semantics of the other person's viewpoint.

I don't know how to argue good but aren't you just explaining what the challenging part of debating is? I'm guessing the alternative to this is some kind of consensual nuance in your opposition and I understand what you mean by how this is frustrating, but I don't think it is a bad thing to be challenged to articulate your own viewpoint. If someone has become abusive in terms of browbeating or misrepresents what you feel are clear arguments, you probably don't have to argue them anymore.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Wow white so fragile

im white

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hi, hello.

I rarely post in D&D, especially outside of the more humorous and non-debate oriented threads, because I am not too interested in serious discussions about American politics, but I used to read the UKMT thread, and a certain forums user, Pissflaps, just kept getting probated for the slightest jibes or occasional jokey blanket statements that are seemingly okay when posted by other thread posters. From what I could gather it was because he was less left-minded that other people in the thread. Just my observation, because people wanted examples. I don't know forums user Pissflaps in real life or anywhere outside SA, but from what little I remember him posting outside of UKMT, I think he's a perfectly normal bloke who can make a funny post.

Thank you for reading.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I love how Asians deserve no protections and posts about discrimination against them are laughed off because they don't have capitalization

HA HA HA Silly little dicked inscrutable fuckers

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Segmentation Fault posted:

For all the whining you can make about :discourse: you guys certainly get really upset when people say things in the way you don't want. Here's a great example of this, where "regular women", meaning to refer to women who are not engaging in activism, is taken to mean white and/or non-lgbtq women. There seems to be a lot of bad faith reading, a desire to be absolutely nasty and condescending, and an unwillingness to actually engage with people. As people have said these are issues in D&D that have existed for years, and if you ask me this kind of poo poo is why Trump loving won.

Trump won because hillary rigged it.

You know the truth, bernie would have been the best bro.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet as a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

"Perhaps pedophiles being bad and gay people being similarly bad is a terrible thing to say, but it should definitely be debated and discussed"

-Richard "lowtax" Kyanka

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Forgall posted:

Racists have the rest of the internet all to themselves, idk, maybe we could have one forum without them?

:discourse:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Wow racist

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Lowtax posted:

Here's a simple example of what lowtax is getting at i think

"pedophiles are dangerous but that are also mentally unwell and didn't choose to be born with such a condition. We should be trying to treat them instead of ostracizing them from society"

make this less succinct and a little more confrontational, and you'd have a post that could end up getting a lot of contentless insults and accusations of pedophilia instead of a reasonable discussion

that's what ladyambien was getting at I think, some people are so sensitive towards conflicting opinions that anyone who dissents must have some sort of right wing or otherwise vile agenda

One of my favorite bandwagon thread incidents was the one that moved the awful Gamergate forum to the D&D forum; emblematic of the quality of D&D at the time, the people in the thread were actually argued against, were given a chance to argue their side, and only blatantly bad faith posters were probated. In the end there was some funny squirming, some well intended people with changed minds, and a bad thread having lost all its steam to reasonable arguing

nowadays im p sure they'd just get hysterical comparisons to hitler and gifs

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
groups it's ok to discriminate against according to D&D

Asians, and pedophiles. they're the same things aren't they? Anime! LOL

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

I agree with this post. Rather than engage in any discussion the mod just mashed the probation button.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

please do not ban or probate me for being white thank you

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

The ideology eater posted:

this happened immediately after km was modded, two days before this thread started

i didnt notice the date, but i still dont particularly care or find relevant what she thinks or says on twitter. the purpose of the thread seems to be in line with what is currently being discussed

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Lowtax posted:

I believe the entire purpose of this thread was to point out that a forum called "Debate and Discuss" should be *more* lenient with free speech, as opposed to more intolerant. I do not believe anything said was to be interpreted as "we are racists and want more racists." It's kind of the exact opposite.

D&D has for years been a forum where trying to be on the 'wrong' (generally right-wing, but sometimes extreme left-wing) side of the debate means you have to dance around and tiptoe and accept getting dogpiled and argued against in bad faith or eat timeouts and $10 penalties when you reply in kind. That's why so many people gave up and moved to GBS or one of the offsites because playing account roulette with every post is an unproductive waste of time.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Have u thought about not being white

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

The issue isn't that she handed out four six hour probations with gifs attached to them. The issue is that she handed out these probations while ignoring the lovely, antagonistic behaviour of another poster who was ideologically aligned with her. Another mod had to step in to hand down a probation in that case. One of the probations was explicitly in response to a poster not immediately conceding a point KM was making about normative language, thereby settling the debate by fiat. This is a mod that also told posters to "shut the gently caress up" about trans and black feminism unless they themselves were trans or black women, in a D&D thread that wasn't created for members of those communities to discuss their own issues. This is as close to silencing as you'll find on these forums.

Those are the issues. The length of the probation is hardly relevant, on principle it was an obscene double standard and an example of moderating according to their individual political beliefs and not with respect to the forum or thread rules.

And okay, fine, she's a new mod who is flexing her muscle a bit. Except it comes on the heels of Tiny Brontosaurus also getting oodles of free passes (not by KM obviously) before people in QCS complained enough to finally have her behaviour acknowledged and acted upon.

I don't quite get what's up with you, but moderators are not and have never been mystically commanded by a goon hivemind to determine which reports are their business or not

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Invisible Handjob posted:

I love how Asians deserve no protections

Racist filth

Chelb posted:

I don't quite get what's up with you, but moderators are not and have never been mystically commanded by a goon hivemind to determine which reports are their business or not

Stone Cold was getting pretty bad in that thread and KM was clearly reading along. He's not wrong that she probably should have tossed stone cold a sixer too, that may have even headed off the three day probe she ended up with.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Here's a simple example of what lowtax is getting at i think

"pedophiles are dangerous but that are also mentally unwell and didn't choose to be born with such a condition. We should be trying to treat them instead of ostracizing them from society"

make this less succinct and a little more confrontational, and you'd have a post that could end up getting a lot of contentless insults and accusations of pedophilia instead of a reasonable discussion

that's what ladyambien was getting at I think, some people are so sensitive towards conflicting opinions that anyone who dissents must have some sort of right wing or otherwise vile agenda

I imagine lowtax as an unhinged elliot stabler from SUV, pinning smorky to the wall, fist raised, but he can't become that monster.

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

:) You earned that avatar.

Yeah. I pissed off a crazy person, that uses "jokes" to hide behind poo poo opinions. happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Invisible Handjob's posts in this thread are kind of the poster child for things that should be discouraged in D&D.

• Locked thread