Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

Tell us more, about black people engaging in racial conflict, thread for cool dudes that think only the most explicit of slurs are verboten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Nah, I'm a reasonable enough person to admit that viewpoints need backing information. Citations are justified and people need to explain what they mean and why they mean it.

But those things can be used to argue in bad faith, and that's kind of a favorite tool of some D&D posters that use it to just smother the opposition in their cribs rather than actually engage with them.

Anyone who takes my comment and immediately thinks I'm saying that no argument ever should have any sources, explanations or examples is kinda doing what I'm talking about though. It's tangentially related to tossing out "Racist!" or "Conservative!" or any number of things to actually kill Debate and Discussion, it just takes more effort to do.

I thought you were reasonable in your post since it's a very difficult frustration to explain, but I totally get it! I think a lot of that kind of frustration is borne out of assuming whoever you are talking to understands your context and perspective and they are just trolling or nitpicking your argument out of stubbornness. Although a lot of the time this sounds like a fair assumption, I don't think it always is, mostly because I have friends that I argue with a lot and, in doing so, find out they didn't understand my viewpoint at all and what I assumed was weak trolling (as to not feel like a "loser") was their actual belief.

As a more pertinent example, I think your last paragraph here is kind of unfair. Everything you started with is fair and clear, but to cap it with a statement with something akin to, "If you read my previous comment and felt this way, you're a problem" does not encourage people who might want to actually talk. When responding to your first comment, I definitely didn't think you were saying no one needs sources or examples and I don't imagine many other would. I think you did a great job of explaining a frustration I bet a lot of people here feel and that kind of disclosure helps everyone understand each other.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Tesseraction posted:

I think that's more a case of bad wording - the intention is to not to stop people with questions posting but to provide justification for punishment if someone comes bursting in and spraying uninformed garbage.

Do you like anime?

serious note, I like the idea of threads OP having some power to control the thread, like if they start a thread on china they could lay out some rules like "dont saying chinese rule for farmer" or "dont say things that are irresponsible and hurt the feelings of the chinese people" and of course "in this thread taiwan is part of china"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Segmentation Fault posted:

from what I understand "it's not my job to educate you" was created as a defense against Babby's First Gnostic Argument bullshit where people pull poo poo like "well, what IS white privilege" but in the end it just gets used as a cudgel to shut up anybody who has any questions whatsoever

Then that should be addressed. I mean if you write a FAQ and someone still asks it that's silly but asking questions is how I managed to escape from the zoo.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Archer666 posted:

Look at this guy, not knowing about the anime twink triumvirate

look the anime twink triumvirate rules over the gay jew freemasons, transsexual muslim majestic 12, and the straight cis heterosexual sex in the missionary position illuminati

Google Ron Paul

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, it's called the real world. Why exactly do you think you're entitled to a place without any hostility? How exactly are you going to have a debate in a place where nobody is hostile to your ideas? That's not a debate, that's a circle jerk. The whole point of debate is to present and support your argument in order to either change other people's minds or to learn and have your mind changed. If your ideas can't stand up to a little hostility, maybe you should either present evidence, support your argument with facts, or change your mind. If you can't do any of the above, maybe you shouldn't try to debate.

I think you'll find some pretty rich examples in D&D of the same people decrying "safe spaces" not being able to handle the hostility of being called insensitive motherfuckers who should go back to 4chan

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Dicky mouse posted:

Do you like anime?

serious note, I like the idea of threads OP having some power to control the thread, like if they start a thread on china they could lay out some rules like "dont saying chinese rule for farmer" or "dont say things that are irresponsible and hurt the feelings of the chinese people" and of course "in this thread taiwan is part of china"

True, but many threads in D&D do ask you to have some kind of minimum requirement for posting - the Climate Change Thread OP requests you believe in science and thus accept climate change is real and human-led, for instance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Uhm, excuse me, but I'm half-Jewish and half-Slavic. Can we please discuss my crisis of identity? Can everyone just listen to me for a moment? And, like, maybe agree with me?

So, hey, now that I have your attention. I've seen some examples of moderatorial overreach that OP mentions. Do people who asked for examples now care to comment?

Six million Jews. Twenty million Slavs.
My hair is a bit curly, and it's hard to find the right shampoo.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, it's called the real world. Why exactly do you think you're entitled to a place without any hostility? How exactly are you going to have a debate in a place where nobody is hostile to your ideas? That's not a debate, that's a circle jerk. The whole point of debate is to present and support your argument in order to either change other people's minds or to learn and have your mind changed. If your ideas can't stand up to a little hostility, maybe you should either present evidence, support your argument with facts, or change your mind. If you can't do any of the above, maybe you shouldn't try to debate.

It wasn't about hostility to ideas.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

where have all the TobleroneTriangulars of yesteryear gone

the white house

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chelb posted:

Tell us more, about black people engaging in racial conflict, thread for cool dudes that think only the most explicit of slurs are verboten

this seems like an immature way to back out of a thread

new crazies have 2-3 correct opinions which makes them less likely to get destroyed with logic

We handicapped our natural selection and now all our trolls are flabby, come back migf

(No don't)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Discussion is offensive towards PoCs and LGBTQA+ folks.
Debate is verbal violence and promotes fascistic ideologies that are literally contributing to the white capitalistic heteronormative patriarchy and the culture or rape, fatshaming and violence.

Shut this subforum down.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eripsa JUST made a thread, how can you say poo poo like this?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Paladinus posted:

Uhm, excuse me, but I'm half-Jewish and half-Slavic. Can we please discuss my crisis of identity? Can everyone just listen to me for a moment? And, like, maybe agree with me?

So, hey, now that I have your attention. I've seen some examples of moderatorial overreach that OP mentions. Do people who asked for examples now care to comment?

That depends on forms do you put slav, jew, or klurf?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chelb posted:

It's like you are on a track or something. Thank you for dodecatupling down.

I'll try and make it concise for you, to at least maybe get you to see what the actual point here is.

Thread = About people immediately inserting race into things and not debating. OP immediately called racist.
Moderator shows up, talks about (race) not liking something and how (race) would prefer things
You show up talking about the moderators race, the race of the people talking to the moderator and run off on a tangent about race.

this is about DEBATE AND DISCUSSION.

This is a very simple concept. You are doing a fantastic job on explaining it to everyone except yourself.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

WampaLord posted:

oh poo poo dude

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Discussion is offensive towards PoCs and LGBTQA+ folks.
Debate is verbal violence and promotes fascistic ideologies that are literally contributing to the white capitalistic heteronormative patriarchy and the culture or rape, fatshaming and violence.

Shut this subforum down.

It is quite notable how this post mocks everyone except straight white people.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

WampaLord posted:

How many marbles is that thread worth?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Tolkien minority posted:

okay you guys convinced me using random gifs instead of reading posts is fun

yesssss come to the dark side

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Dicky mouse posted:

Do you like anime?

I'm cool with the current system of having mods approve special rules, because most ops are bad

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

this seems like an immature way to back out of a thread

Not particularly sure what this means, extremely terrible poster who i dislike

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It's like you are on a track or something. Thank you for dodecatupling down.

I'll try and make it concise for you, to at least maybe get you to see what the actual point here is.

Thread = About people immediately inserting race into things and not debating. OP immediately called racist.
Moderator shows up, talks about (race) not liking something and how (race) would prefer things
You show up talking about the moderators race, the race of the people talking to the moderator and run off on a tangent about race.

this is about DEBATE AND DISCUSSION.

This is a very simple concept. You are doing a fantastic job on explaining it to everyone except yourself.

I'm sorry that you don't see race, friend.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Neurolimal posted:

I'm cool with the current system of having mods approve special rules, because most ops are bad

Well yeah, if they aren't mod sanctioned then they're not going to be mod enforced. In which case they're pointless.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I'm extremely in favor of political debate taking place entirely in the form of interpretive gif posting

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'm extremely in favor of political debate taking place entirely in the form of interpretive gif posting

seriously it would make everyone's lives a whole lot more enjoyable that's for sure

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
I've never posted in d&d and probably never will again but I think it could use more photoshop contests. that's something everyone can get behind. if you disagree with someone's shop you can just shop their shop to mock it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Control Volume posted:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chelb posted:

I'm sorry that you don't see race, friend.

I'm sorry that's all you can see and as a result are flailing your pissbaby arms in an embarrassing display constructing racist sandcastles out of imaginary sand in a snowglobe an autistic boy would be allowed to look at if he wasn't a cracker.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

It is quite notable how this post mocks everyone except straight white people.

Lmao. There's no need for that. Trump does that for me.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

i concur

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Just make a thread where everyone agrees with everything.

I would, but effort.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I like the OP

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm sorry that's all you can see and as a result are flailing your pissbaby arms in an embarrassing display constructing racist sandcastles out of imaginary sand in a snowglobe an autistic boy would be allowed to look at if he wasn't a cracker.

https://twitter.com/memesuppliers/status/818975353611976705

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Unfortunately going by what happened after the Witcher 3 released and the lack of poo poo given to Polish victims of Brexit, being Slavic apparently means you are just another white piece of poo poo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Chelb posted:

Not particularly sure what this means, extremely terrible poster who i dislike

It's pretty simple crackerdog, your prior posts were halfhearted attempts at arguing, and the one I quoted is a blanket statement that the thread is bad, so responses to you are bad and by terrible people

It's like weird "i fought a valiant battle even though i tripped into the moat" debate insurance

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Fat Shat Sings posted:

So even with the tweeting about how asking for a black mod is racist youre still gonna pretend this isnt at all about race?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I like the OP

p sure shes taken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i guess while im making extremely good suggestions that will be ignored, mandate that all D&D posters adopt a bathetic frame of mind that recognizes the inherent absurdity of reality and faces it with serenity. the dumbest possible outcome is the most likely one, and by acknowledging this, i am at peace.

• Locked thread