Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

ulmont posted:

Not normally, no. Ignoring the difference between criminal and civil assault, and focusing here only on criminal assault in Louisiana just to give one example (other states are very similar on this point):

So either attempted battery or intentionally putting someone in reasonable fear of a battery. What's a battery?

Note "force or violence", not "death or grievous bodily injury." That part covers even pushing someone with a single finger.

So you can be assaulted without any reasonable fear for your life, or even anything having happened but someone reaching out to push you and missing.

That's why I put the qualifier of me being an idiot in my post. My state might be different, I remember being told too that battery includes extensions of a person's body, like smacking papers out of their hand or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

mewse posted:

I dunno but I think this is what you're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcsbi1_iHQ

That'd be it! Thanks

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I wasnt expecting this thread to be so sordid

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I.N.R.I posted:

I wasnt expecting this thread to be so sordid

Usually it's just "here's why you don't want to do Krav Maga" posts.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

im here to prepare for the streets. worst case scenario, i'm here to scrap any time. all day. im not a violent man, but i am skilled at violence as long as my assailant is willing to crawl atop me in a robe

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
My favorite posts are when aikido players jump in and their first few posts are about how chill and normal they are and they do aikido for the meditative aspects and then a day later they're in full on magic pressure points and dim mak territory.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

My favorite posts are when aikido players jump in and their first few posts are about how chill and normal they are and they do aikido for the meditative aspects and then a day later they're in full on magic pressure points and dim mak territory.

You forgot the part of the story where posters are being kinda snarky to the aikido guy and it develops just to the point where someone might be considering saying "Hey be nice to the aikido guy not all of them are into crazy mystical bullshit everyone is welcome in the thread" and then the aikido guy goes full :freep: thus showing that the snark posters were right all along.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Yeah I'm always the guy who says to be nice

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
gently caress Akido, if it doesnt work in MMA it shouldn't be in the thread.

Now someone tell me if I should stop breaking someones arm if they start tapping in a street fight, are people honourable?

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

willie_dee posted:

Now someone tell me if I should stop breaking someones arm if they start tapping in a street fight, are people honourable?

i start my street fights off with a bow to my opponent, the audience, and a framed picture of grandmaster helio gracie that I carry around with me. i do not butt scoot, pull guard, reap the knee, or go for heel hooks. you tell me if that's honor.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

What's your opinion on eye gouging and fishhooking, then?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

CommonShore posted:

What's your opinion on eye gouging and fishhooking, then?

3 strikes and an appeal to the local council

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

willie_dee posted:

I don't know if this is sarcastic or not but i'd be inclined to either

A: Take something like a gift-wrap grip and just restrain/enrage the attacker until help/cops arrive. You'd have a free hand to make the phone call, too.
or
B: Snap a limb and run away if you're unsure about the environment/other attackers/don't trust cops

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Wangsbig posted:

i start my street fights off with a bow to my opponent, the audience, and a framed picture of grandmaster helio gracie that I carry around with me. i do not butt scoot, pull guard, reap the knee, or go for heel hooks. you tell me if that's honor.

Every time someone attacks my legs I sneer "suburban tactics" and destroy them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

3 strikes and an appeal to the local council

So when do you get thrown out for doing steroids?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

CommonShore posted:

So when do you get thrown out for doing steroids?

I'll never fail a test.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
The old thread was like a honeypot because it had Aikido in the title then the OP made us sound all welcoming to dumbass ideas. Boy were they in for a surprise when they started posting!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Kekekela posted:

The old thread was like a honeypot because it had Aikido in the title then the OP made us sound all welcoming to dumbass ideas. Boy were they in for a surprise when they started posting!

As well all well know all martial arts are bullshit except for ameridote which is perfect.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

willie_dee posted:

I'll never fail a test.

You've already confessed to having failed the eye test numerous times.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

KildarX posted:

As well all well know all martial arts are bullshit except for ameridote which is perfect.

Master Ken is a god amongst men

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

JaySB posted:

Master Ken is a god amongst men

I got an autographed patch from him. Seems a cool dude, and everyone in the gym seems to be too scared to roll with me since I've been working the thrust of freedom as a guard break.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
i think i posted upthread about looking for a jiujitsu place because i had never tried it and was interested

i am happy to report that i found a jiujitsu place that was not only warm and welcoming to me as a newcomer, but also in the first week threw me through the newbie grinder both in exercises and drills, but also techniques (for example, i had no idea you could use an opponents gi to choke a dude out) and afterwards, signed up

they invited me to watch a competition here in columbus march i think 4th, which i am gonna attend because it sounds awesome

thank you thread for your help!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

boy are my arms tired posted:

i think i posted upthread about looking for a jiujitsu place because i had never tried it and was interested

i am happy to report that i found a jiujitsu place that was not only warm and welcoming to me as a newcomer, but also in the first week threw me through the newbie grinder both in exercises and drills, but also techniques (for example, i had no idea you could use an opponents gi to choke a dude out) and afterwards, signed up

they invited me to watch a competition here in columbus march i think 4th, which i am gonna attend because it sounds awesome

thank you thread for your help!

Don't stop posting.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

Don't stop posting.

i wont, but im not sure how interesting my posts about "oh wow i learned this new thing and it was fun" or "my first white belt competition and i got flattened" will be

im extremely excited about the tournament though, i've never seen one before and if its half as exciting as the sparring at the gym is ill be hooked

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We'll be interested! Keep posting. I love hearing about bjj.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

i wont, but im not sure how interesting my posts about "oh wow i learned this new thing and it was fun" or "my first white belt competition and i got flattened" will be

im extremely excited about the tournament though, i've never seen one before and if its half as exciting as the sparring at the gym is ill be hooked

That poo poo is super interesting. People say that they like my trip reports, but it's hard when the thread is a ghost town. More posts beget more posts.

By the way - did I remember to post that two of my guys took #1 and #2 in their shared weight class for Provincial Judo Championships for Senior Men's Novice? I ended up spending the weekend in the city after the tournament eating weird Asian food, and I can't remember if I got around to reporting.

Anyway, if I didn't, there it is.

I'm thinking about competing in a big judo tournament in early February. I don't think there's a Master's division, though, and Senior Men's Advanced is full of 19-21 year old national team contenders who I'd be happy to engage on the ground but who might literally kill me standing. I'm not sure how much I want to risk injury. I'll 100% be at the tournament to support a 15 year old yellow belt in his first outing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
There's another grappling thread btw.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ICHIBAHN posted:

We'll be interested! Keep posting. I love hearing about bjj.

CommonShore posted:

That poo poo is super interesting. People say that they like my trip reports, but it's hard when the thread is a ghost town. More posts beget more posts.

will do then!

is there someplace that goes in-depth into competitions? scoring, strategies, etc? it was very briefly explained to me but it was mid-class so i feel it'd be good to read up on it further

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

will do then!

is there someplace that goes in-depth into competitions? scoring, strategies, etc? it was very briefly explained to me but it was mid-class so i feel it'd be good to read up on it further

Scoring varies from event to event. The short version, if it's a points tournament, is that you get points for achieving a position and holding it 3-5 seconds. Strategy is go out and do your thing, but be aggressive.

It should largely make sense once you see a tournament first-hand.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

CommonShore posted:

Scoring varies from event to event. The short version, if it's a points tournament, is that you get points for achieving a position and holding it 3-5 seconds. Strategy is go out and do your thing, but be aggressive.

It should largely make sense once you see a tournament first-hand.

ah neat, okay. thank you! is there a penalty for holding a position longer than a few seconds?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ah neat, okay. thank you! is there a penalty for holding a position longer than a few seconds?

Depends on the tournament. Some have a stalling rule, but as a competitor depending on the position you can make a half hearted attempt at a submission that is totally safe to just hold the position indefinitely.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KildarX posted:

Depends on the tournament. Some have a stalling rule, but as a competitor depending on the position you can make a half hearted attempt at a submission that is totally safe to just hold the position indefinitely.

cool; i'll keep a look out at the tournament then

one more question i've got for now: since i have more of a background in boxing and kempo its going to be a weird change to not-striking; what happens if i reflexively / accidentally hit or elbow someone while being grappled? loss in points? dq?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

one more question i've got for now: since i have more of a background in boxing and kempo its going to be a weird change to not-striking; what happens if i reflexively / accidentally hit or elbow someone while being grappled? loss in points? dq?

Shouldn't happen if you've been training in a grappling art for a little bit, but, you'll probably be disqualified.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

This was something I worried about but I found it surprisingly easy not to hit people

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

KildarX posted:

Shouldn't happen if you've been training in a grappling art for a little bit, but, you'll probably be disqualified.

willie_dee posted:

This was something I worried about but I found it surprisingly easy not to hit people

well it turns out i got to roll with an experienced member and yeah it turned out to not really be a problem

i learned an ankle lock today, it was kind of fun trying to do my one move against his like...fifty. it was a lot of fun trying to escape and i learned a thing or two

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

well it turns out i got to roll with an experienced member and yeah it turned out to not really be a problem

i learned an ankle lock today, it was kind of fun trying to do my one move against his like...fifty. it was a lot of fun trying to escape and i learned a thing or two

I don't roll regularly enough but for me it felt like I was learning a new thing or five every single session, and then was thinking about it constantly to improve my game the next time I was going to be rolling.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's often a mix of learning/trying new things, revisiting old stuff, reinforcing stuff, and then seeing what comes to you in the moment without "thinking" about it.

Eg UFC this past weekend got me thinking about ezekiel choke / sode guruma. I hadn't played with it in like 6 months, and back then I didn't like it. In that time I've learned things and gotten better at stuff, and upon revisiting it, I've found value in it.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

CommonShore posted:

It's often a mix of learning/trying new things, revisiting old stuff, reinforcing stuff, and then seeing what comes to you in the moment without "thinking" about it.

Eg UFC this past weekend got me thinking about ezekiel choke / sode guruma. I hadn't played with it in like 6 months, and back then I didn't like it. In that time I've learned things and gotten better at stuff, and upon revisiting it, I've found value in it.

That's one of the things I love with grappling. There are so many moves I sort of dismissed when I was newer and some day I relearned them and started loving them and other moves I relied upon and rarely use anymore. It's really nice to see your game evolve and change over time.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

KingColliwog posted:

That's one of the things I love with grappling. There are so many moves I sort of dismissed when I was newer and some day I relearned them and started loving them and other moves I relied upon and rarely use anymore. It's really nice to see your game evolve and change over time.

I remember my only real offense from mount was a Kimura because I couldn't arm bar, but I trained arm bars and got shown why mine weren't working, and when I went for one and got it really easily I felt like a million dollars, or a real bjj player, because it felt so smooth and efficient when it worked vs when it didn't. Took my team mate by surprise as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Any Toronto/Canada goons know how much it costs here to train Judo?