Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So just as a matter of interest, what's the actual problem and why is it apparently so unsolvable? AFAIK it's been an issue since the Harley days and MV claim to have fixed it with every model year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

It's an italian vehicle, there always has to be one chronic issue in the model range.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So just as a matter of interest, what's the actual problem and why is it apparently so unsolvable? AFAIK it's been an issue since the Harley days and MV claim to have fixed it with every model year.

They under-spec'd the starter sprag and the starter motor, combined with the bikes being somewhat hard starting due to marginal fueling on start, does a number on the sprag, much like the 749/999 issues.

Apparently it was possible early on for the bike to actually run backwards for a rotation because it'd bounce off the compression while starting if you were unlucky with where you were in the compression stroke.

It's probably never been actually addressed because they simply don't move enough bikes that do enough miles. Or it's been minorly improved year on year, and they're just staying one step in front of the riders.

Pokies experience shows they're probably improving the quality of the assembly, cause my friends definitely went within 3-4K every time. It's a real pity that bike got stolen because it would have been great to trade it in on a Turismo Veloce which would have been ridden for 1.5 years before also being lemon lawed, and the cycle could repeat forever.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n, the mechanic who fixed it seemed convinced that the problem had to do with how MV wired up electronic controls to the starter motor. I didn't understand the explanation enough to accurately replicate it though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I once had a mechanic tell me that if I put a Harley-Davidson battery in my Honda it would spin the crankshaft too fast and damage the engine, so I wouldn't necessarily put too much stock in that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pokie posted:

Z3n, the mechanic who fixed it seemed convinced that the problem had to do with how MV wired up electronic controls to the starter motor. I didn't understand the explanation enough to accurately replicate it though.

Most mechanics are loving idiots who master things by repetition.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

They under-spec'd the starter sprag and the starter motor, combined with the bikes being somewhat hard starting due to marginal fueling on start, does a number on the sprag, much like the 749/999 issues.

Apparently it was possible early on for the bike to actually run backwards for a rotation because it'd bounce off the compression while starting if you were unlucky with where you were in the compression stroke.

It's probably never been actually addressed because they simply don't move enough bikes that do enough miles. Or it's been minorly improved year on year, and they're just staying one step in front of the riders.

Pokies experience shows they're probably improving the quality of the assembly, cause my friends definitely went within 3-4K every time. It's a real pity that bike got stolen because it would have been great to trade it in on a Turismo Veloce which would have been ridden for 1.5 years before also being lemon lawed, and the cycle could repeat forever.

So it's not a single part that breaks, the thing just shits itself? Wouldn't be surprised if they've just replaced one part a year until eventually, around 2087, the entire engine has been replaced (and then the electronics catch fire).

pokie posted:

There was a problem with the first-year in-house Aprilia 750 engines where the interlock that cuts off the starter motor when the engine started running didn't work (although some reported it as the solenoid itself latching on, it's possible it was two separate problems) which ended up destroying the starter motor and/or clutch. The interlock was particularly necessary because the starter button is used to select the engine mode once the engine was running. :italy: (although Aprilia did recall and fix all of the bikes and, forum lore excepted, it only affected the first few thousand engines). I wonder if that's what he was thinking of?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So it's not a single part that breaks, the thing just shits itself? Wouldn't be surprised if they've just replaced one part a year until eventually, around 2087, the entire engine has been replaced (and then the electronics catch fire).

There was a problem with the first-year in-house Aprilia 750 engines where the interlock that cuts off the starter motor when the engine started running didn't work (although some reported it as the solenoid itself latching on, it's possible it was two separate problems) which ended up destroying the starter motor and/or clutch. The interlock was particularly necessary because the starter button is used to select the engine mode once the engine was running. :italy: (although Aprilia did recall and fix all of the bikes and, forum lore excepted, it only affected the first few thousand engines). I wonder if that's what he was thinking of?

Dealer's form states they replaced "sprag assembly" so just one part, I think. Forgive my mangled paraphrasing in what follows. The mechanic was talking about the electronics counting the teeth in the sprag or something like that, and that if the battery is low it fucks up and misapplies it somehow. He also said that the best way to avoid the issue is to keep the battery on a tender. I can't do that on account of not having a garage, and the gf probably wouldn't approve of parking the bike in the living room. Anyway, I figure I will test the tender cord with a multimeter every month or so just in case.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's always the same part - the starter sprag itself. It uses a one way clutch assembly in the middle of the sprag to drive the crank when the starter engages but freewheel once the crank is spinning faster than the gear. It's a wear item, like any other clutch, but because of a combination of it being underspec'd plus hard starting plus a probably smallish starter that doesn't have the force to really kick the thing over firmly, it does a number on the friction material / sprag surface and eventually the sprag doesn't stay engaged when you hit the starter so it just freewheels when you hit the starter, causing the no-start condition. Sometimes it'll engage with a loud crack, and I'm pretty convinced that in the long run you'd wreck the mating surface on the crank and would need to replace the crank to get the bike to start normally again.

The sprag is also apparently buried in the middle of the engine so it's a 6 hour split the cases job to do the replacement.

The really dumb part of me thinks that in about 2-3 years when these things are out of warranty I'll be able to pick one up for a song and use a roll starter to run it as a cheap track bike. Mostly I'm just sad I can't commute on a Turismo Veloce, though. I'd have bought the hell out of one of those if I didn't have the s1000xr, and using MVs convenient lemon law loaner program as long as you put about 20k on one in 2 years you can lemon law due to the number of starter sprag replacements to get all your dollars back!

As long as you were riding with a buddy, you could also do the rear wheel start trick too, I suppose.

And in a brief moment of self awareness, I can kinda see why people think I'm crazy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh, the mechanic is talking about the cam timing issue but that's just a contributing symptom of the overall problem. If the sprag can't handle the bike being even slightly hard starting, the assembly wasn't spaced highly enough to handle real use.

My broad assumption about this problem goes like this: they tuned the bike for EU emissions, and then slapped a bullshit map on it for the US, which causes it to be hard starting. That hard starting problem means their starter assembly, which was designed to match the engine and be no more robust than absolutely needed, is over stressed relative to the design spec for displacement, compression, valve springs, etc. They've slowly fixed the running fueling map over time, but they've never dealt with the very low RPM running where it starts being hard on the starter assembly, because only a handful of folks ride the bikes enough to notice the problem.

Listening more to the dumb part of me, in a few years I'm likely to build a retrofit kit that will locate a second starter somewhere where it can drive the rear wheel to bump start it rather than worry about the starter sprag issue. Throw it on the centerstand, engage the secondary starter, bump start, ride away.

Why yes, I do find the Turismo Veloce unreasonably appealing, why do you ask?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Z3n posted:

As long as you were riding with a buddy, you could also do the rear wheel start trick too, I suppose.

I tried that, but it didn't work. Perhaps I am not doing it right due to noobness. What's the correct procedure here?

Thanks for all the detailed explanations, Z3n. So you think battery checking is not important?

And, yeah, Veloce is sweet as hell too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

They've slowly fixed the running fueling map over time, but they've never dealt with the very low RPM running where it starts being hard on the starter assembly,

Can you explain how this works? I don't get how the starter could get damaged by the engine idling or lugging or whatever.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Listening more to the dumb part of me, in a few years I'm likely to build a retrofit kit that will locate a second starter somewhere where it can drive the rear wheel to bump start it rather than worry about the starter sprag issue. Throw it on the centerstand, engage the secondary starter, bump start, ride away.

I don't remember if it was you in a different thread that was drooling over inertia starters in old aero engines, but that's basically what this is so please be dumb and do it because it will sound loving awesome :pray:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pokie posted:

I tried that, but it didn't work. Perhaps I am not doing it right due to noobness. What's the correct procedure here?

Thanks for all the detailed explanations, Z3n. So you think battery checking is not important?

And, yeah, Veloce is sweet as hell too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaxhjh_BKgA

If you're trying to push start a bike with a slipper clutch, you have to get going quite fast to get it to start as you lose a lot of force through the slipper clutch doing its thing.

I don't think the problem is the battery but it's an easy thing a dealership can blame it on so they tend to do so. A stronger battery definitely reduces starting time but that's ultimately a band-aid for a system that's not up to the spec no matter what.

Sagebrush posted:

Can you explain how this works? I don't get how the starter could get damaged by the engine idling or lugging or whatever.

It's not when it's actually running, it's when it's turning over at whatever speed the starter can turn it at, it doesn't tend to want to fire. Most bikes fire in 1-2 rotations of the engine, the MV would tend to take 4-5. If the clutch is wearing with each second it's engaged, and it takes 3x the time to start, well, you're burning out the sprag in 350 starts instead of 1050. At 1050 starts, the first sprag would have gone at about 16k, or maybe even longer because the clutch wears more the longer you're running it. The older Aprilia Mille engine is another good example of doing this thing sorta wrong but it being ok-ish because the sprag usually makes it about 20-30k. Same with Ducati 999/749s.

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't remember if it was you in a different thread that was drooling over inertia starters in old aero engines, but that's basically what this is so please be dumb and do it because it will sound loving awesome :pray:

Haha I'd probably take the scrub way out and install a small secondary gear on the swingarm driven by an electric motor to drive the chain. An inertia starter would probably be too big to install but then again, that'd be loving hilarious to pull start my Italian motorcycle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

And in a brief moment of self awareness, I can kinda see why people think I'm crazy.

Crazy would be drilling a hole in the crank case, fitting a bearing in the hole, welding an extension to the crank that runs through the bearing, with a nut on the end, sealing it all up so it holds oil, and starting it with an 18v Makita.

The turismo veloce is gorgeous.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Haha I'd probably take the scrub way out and install a small secondary gear on the swingarm driven by an electric motor to drive the chain. An inertia starter would probably be too big to install but then again, that'd be loving hilarious to pull start my Italian motorcycle.

No I mean like, I thought you meant have a small electric motor steadily spin up the rear wheel to build inertia in it and then let the clutch out to bump start the engine.

I'm not sure how well this would work, if at all, given you wouldn't have the weight of the bike rolling along to keep the chain moving against the force of compression (I'm not imagining the secondary starter directly contributing any force at all), but hey at least it wouldn't be expensive to test crush my dreams.

e/ NB I have no idea how actual inertia starters work

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 20, 2016

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Thanks for the link, Z3n.

Z3n posted:

The sprag is also apparently buried in the middle of the engine so it's a 6 hour split the cases job to do the replacement.

The quote they gave me was 3.5 hours.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

No I mean like, I thought you meant have a small electric motor steadily spin up the rear wheel to build inertia in it and then let the clutch out to bump start the engine.

That's how they start quite a lot of race bikes at club level, although the electric motor is actually the back wheel of the team Transit sitting on two rollers with the bike's rear wheel at the other end of them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pokie posted:

Thanks for the link, Z3n.

The quote they gave me was 3.5 hours.

Oh I could totally be wrong there, that was based off the last time it was done the dealership mechanic saying it was buried in the middle of the cases. Maybe you can get it out somehow without splitting. Never had to do it myself.

I'm not sure how well this would work, if at all, given you wouldn't have the weight of the bike rolling along to keep the chain moving against the force of compression (I'm not imagining the secondary starter directly contributing any force at all), but hey at least it wouldn't be expensive to test crush my dreams.

e/ NB I have no idea how actual inertia starters work

Yeah that'd be the plan - you'd use the inertia from the rear wheel spinning to bump over the engine, it doesn't take much. Assuming the shared mass of the chain and wheel assembly is around 20 pounds and you've got it spinning, it should be fine to get it started. Only downside is, uhh, don't stall the thing.

Inertia starter demo here - see 2:35 for the start of the dude cranking it up.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_xVtcG5Dc

Finger Prince posted:

Crazy would be drilling a hole in the crank case, fitting a bearing in the hole, welding an extension to the crank that runs through the bearing, with a nut on the end, sealing it all up so it holds oil, and starting it with an 18v Makita.

The motogp starter option would definitely be the way to go for a track bike. I think you could probably do it easier off the clutch or drive sprocket, though!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYh1rwMCEQ
I dunno how well it would work on a 1000cc 4t.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Z3n posted:

Only downside is, uhh, don't stall the thing.

A third motor capable of popping the centre stand. Weight concerns? What weight concerns!? :shepface:

e/ at that point it'd probably be easier to swap the stand with some kind of worm gear thing that just jacks the bike up directly instead of loving about with pivots

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 20, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A third motor capable of popping the centre stand. Weight concerns? What weight concerns!? :shepface:

e/ at that point it'd probably be easier to swap the stand with some kind of worm gear thing that just jacks the bike up directly instead of loving about with pivots

Clearly the only option is to install hydraulic jacks on the bottom like a race car.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finger Prince posted:

I know beauty is subjective and all but are we looking at the same bike?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MV-Agusta-Turismo-Veloce-800-action-4.jpg

I feel like that looks like a really worked over gsf-650

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/MV-Agusta-Turismo-Veloce-800-action-4.jpg

That's a nerdy looking bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That was me. I currently have a maybe 60% complete design of a hand-cranked four-stage planetary-geared flywheel inertia starter that fits into the space of the starter motor on a Honda 350 :mrgw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

That was me. I currently have a maybe 60% complete design of a hand-cranked four-stage planetary-geared flywheel inertia starter that fits into the space of the starter motor on a Honda 350 :mrgw:
When you're done with that build a shotgun starter for it. :getin:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That shot isn't the best angle

And it looks (and feels) pretty special when you're astride. It might be a cliché but it really does look better in person than in photos.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Looks like a fun standard. Brap brap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's basically the worst possible angle. The narrow, sort of skeletal subframe has to be seen in person, and the upper fairing isn't as bulbous and weighty as it looks in that picture.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That to an F3 looks like a cayenne to a 911. So vertically stretched and godawful.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIN-7MM5eI4&t=347s

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I really loving hate failarmy.

Sagebrush posted:

GIMME :shepspends:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I really loving hate failarmy.

Why do you hate fun?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
atleast they offer to pay for original content instead of just jacking it outright

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I love my 690 to death but it may be the death of me. The EFI is poo poo so god help you if you live in a climate that changes temps drastically week to week or day to day. Do the idle reset procedure when it's cold? Random stalls if you get warm weather. Idle reset when warm? You are hosed if a cold front comes in.

Since it stalls just as you are accelerating from a stop, and not predictably, one of two things happens:

BEST case- You stall in an intersection and look like an idiot holding everyone else up. This happens like twice on a 30 minute ride.

WORST case- You stall pulling out onto a busy street, in front of two lanes of oncoming traffic. This is TERRIFYING, and has happened THREE TIMES IN THE PAST TWO DAYS gently caress

Like, it's the best goddamned bike and I don't want to get rid of it but I also want to set it on fire.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Keeps the revs up and the clutch in at every light, dump the clutch and wheelie away every time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Holy poo poo; that sounds horrible.

I like the idea of having a 690, and I've rid a 690 Enduro before which was fun and hilarious, but drat. That is some Achilles-heel-rear end poo poo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Keeps the revs up and the clutch in at every light, dump the clutch and wheelie away every time.

Reving before or during doesnt change it. It's completely random and like the bike just gets confused and stops. I'm completely stock, and have the proper inserts in my WING's exhaust. Trust me, it's not me stalling the bike, its the EFI stalling the bike. This isn't an uncommon issue.

Don't get me wrong, the bike is just about as awesome as it can get, and is rock solid everywhere else. But this is totally unacceptable. Supposedly retuning it with a certain map fixes it, but then I gotta do the airbox and and lose the nice "slow" and "bad gas" maps, along with mpg.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint: you won't loving die in a collision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Counter-Counterpoint: I'm pretty sure being hit from the side by an SUV going 50mph will do more than ruin my day.