Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Onmi posted:

Perfect

And now you have my attention. Where is this from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I actually adore the Watchmen twist. Everyone tried so hard to recreate Watchmen with every comic under the sun go for uber-darkness and realism for far too long.

Making it canon that Manhatten made heroes cold and jackasses is exactly the kind of making GBS threads on Watchmen that I crave.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Patrick Spens posted:

And now you have my attention. Where is this from?

Justice League/Power Rangers crossover

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

It's pretty good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

nerdman42 posted:

I actually adore the Watchmen twist. Everyone tried so hard to recreate Watchmen with every comic under the sun go for uber-darkness and realism for far too long.

Making it canon that Manhatten made heroes cold and jackasses is exactly the kind of making GBS threads on Watchmen that I crave.

That isn't Watchmans fault.

You have weird priorities.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nerdman42 posted:

Making it all Manhattan's fault you couldn't recreate Watchmen is just more failing to recreate Watchmen.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
A comic I read in my younger days, Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire #4.

Boba Fett and Darth Vader have a fight in the monastery of an order of pessimists.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jan 12, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Clawtopsy posted:

A comic I read in my younger days, Boba Fett: Enemy of the Empire #4.

Boba Fett and Darth Vader have a fight in the monastery of an order of pessimists.

Is that a reprint, per chance?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't Watchmans fault.

You have weird priorities.

Yeah, the whole point of Watchmen is a pointed dagger against that sort of thinking, that unfortunately backfired because way too many people read it with the same sort of mentality as Zack Snyder, where he say a dude in a mask torturing people and breaking bones, and instead of thinking "oh my god, what a sick and twisted sociopath!" they thought "wow, badass!!" and then tried to replicate what they thought they were reading, rather than what they actually were.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Considering that Snyder portrayed grim dark Batman as antagonistic and also directed Watchmen where Rorschach was a disturbed figure, he probably agrees with you.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He definitely doesn't since he dropped all of Rorschach's ugly politics and backstory from the film and then made Sucker Punch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Considering that Snyder portrayed grim dark Batman as antagonistic and also directed Watchmen where Rorschach was a disturbed figure, he probably agrees with you.

Knock it off already. The gimmick's worn thin.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OK, back to funny panels now.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I can't decide if the best part is the Esperanto or the subtle implication that French speakers do not require that reminder.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well duh. Monkeys are known to speak French

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You're thinking of frogs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Inkspot posted:

It's pretty good.

...This is ending with the JLA getting to use the morphers, isn't it?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Gaz-L posted:

...This is ending with the JLA getting to use the morphers, isn't it?

If so, all I care about is that Batman gets a Zord that's literally anything other than a bat.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just can't understand how Ryan North can put out such consistently funny issues month after month. I mean each issue always manages to make laugh at least once per page.

From the latest issue (it's her birthday!)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Thaddius the Large posted:

If so, all I care about is that Batman gets a Zord that's literally anything other than a bat.

If you think he's getting anything but the T-Rex or Dragon, you don't know anything about how DC Comics works.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

flosofl posted:

I just can't understand how Ryan North can put out such consistently funny issues month after month. I mean each issue always manages to make laugh at least once per page.

Love the Cat Thor on the label.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Gaz-L posted:

If you think he's getting anything but the T-Rex or Dragon, you don't know anything about how DC Comics works.

Nah, he's getting that Brachiosaurus thing. Another chair to sit in.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lobok posted:

You're thinking of frogs.

No he's thinking of the lesser spotted Cheese eating one.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Making it all Manhattan's fault you couldn't recreate Watchmen is just more failing to recreate Watchmen.

So true. It's super cynical in that while the so-called premise of the twist is, "Watchmen made everything sour and dark and comics trying to replicate its success made everything bad!", the actual reason they're doing it is, "okay, Watchmen is a big property that we're not monetarily exploiting, so let's try to replicate its success again".

Also Watchmen itself is good as hell and blaming the existence of a really good work, that happens to be dark and maudlin in tone, for the worst excesses of "dark" mainstream comics trying to follow the money is silly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

flosofl posted:

I'm guessing if a powerful God is hiding from a present under a table, you don't wanna open it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red posted:

I'm guessing if a powerful God is hiding from a present under a table, you don't wanna open it.

Never trust Loki for more than, say, five minutes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Android Blues posted:

So true. It's super cynical in that while the so-called premise of the twist is, "Watchmen made everything sour and dark and comics trying to replicate its success made everything bad!", the actual reason they're doing it is, "okay, Watchmen is a big property that we're not monetarily exploiting, so let's try to replicate its success again".

Also Watchmen itself is good as hell and blaming the existence of a really good work, that happens to be dark and maudlin in tone, for the worst excesses of "dark" mainstream comics trying to follow the money is silly.

Not to mention Final Crisis already did a fantastic job of doing all this and still ending hopefully

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Especially because it was actually TDKR and Batman Year One's fault.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Onmi posted:

Also seriously anyone here who's been burned by Marvel, give Rebirth a chance because it's got legitimately good comics.

From Titans. I don't know about everyone else but I love when Superhero's have to sort out the logistics of being Superheroes with normal people

I would like to note that this Titans issue was great, in that it had Wally West (from the pre-New52 universe, now stranded in whatever the current DC continuity is) hanging out with Superman (from the pre-New52 universe, now stranded in whatever the current DC continuity is).

Like, who else are they gonna talk to about this poo poo?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

(It's the juxtaposition of the "next issue" advert.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I still think making them siblings was a stupid way to resolve the love triangle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Retro Futurist posted:

Not to mention Final Crisis already did a fantastic job of doing all this and still ending hopefully

I still get angry at how quickly DC hosed that up in the immediate aftermath, but I'll never not love Final Crisis for the beautifully optimistic note of,"We're all stories and despite what some would have you believe, we prefer a happy ending" that it ended on.

That plus,"Darkseid always hated music." :hellyeah:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Lurdiak posted:

I still think making them siblings was a stupid way to resolve the love triangle.

Supposedly, Leia wasn't supposed to be the other Skywalker until Lucas realized he was not, in fact, going to get the nine movie deal he wanted right away. Luke was supposed to discover he had a sister when he was like 60 years old in Episode 7 or some poo poo. Which...we got kind of close to.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

Supposedly, Leia wasn't supposed to be the other Skywalker until Lucas realized he was not, in fact, going to get the nine movie deal he wanted right away. Luke was supposed to discover he had a sister when he was like 60 years old in Episode 7 or some poo poo. Which...we got kind of close to.

Well yeah I don't think he made them kiss twice and then directed an entire TV series of them having oodles of sexual tension because he planned them to be siblings.

This isn't Fire Emblem.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
But they assumed Star Wars was gonna be a one off.

So they went from 1 to 9

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And then after the prequels Lucas swore to god he was never planning on making 7-9.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Rhyno posted:

And then after the prequels Lucas swore to god he was never planning on making 7-9.

Well, he's not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
gently caress, in the original script Han Solo was a lizard person and it was Anakin Starkiller as the main protagonist. I'm pretty sure now is the only period of time when there was an actual plan about what happens next in Star Wars.

This is also a decent time to point out that George Lucas' original idea for Indiana Jones had his backstory with Marion being that Indy was in college and hosed his favorite professor's 12 year old daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Why?