Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I actually just noticed that I have Garnet's Asura(?) rod that has 116 MAG. Not too shabby.

I guess when Raines is 99 and fully dived the stats will matter less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Once you hit the mag softcap there's little reason to nickel and dime every little magic bonus you can get, +element gear is always going to get you more bang for your buck. The magic softcap is about 1,055 right now (unless it changed recently); with Memento Mori and BSB alone, that 362 becomes 795, and you're one stacking 30% Faithga from hitting 1,034. Without synergy. Raine's stacking potential is pretty asinine.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not sure why, but hey I won't complain about a free 10 mythril.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not sure why, but hey I won't complain about a free 10 mythril.

Portal app rewards

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I wonder who Japan will decide needs a new Wardrobe first.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mithross posted:

Per this threads advice, my current A team consists of:

Beatrix (BSB)
Firion (BSB)
OK (BSB, general medal conditions if needed)
Gordon (Reverse Wall, support, half of proshellga)
Vanille (BSB, healing, other half of proshellga)
RW: Wall (I have native, but tyro doesn't mesh well here)

In my draw on XIII banner 1, I pulled Hope's BSB. OK isn't dived for Support 5 yet (he's close, but I ran out of 4* motes). Should I:

a) keep Gordon around
b) use Hope instead of Gordon unless I really need those breakdowns instead of breaks, plus the whole reverse wall thing

And if I sub in Hope most of the time, should I make and hone him an Alexander so he can hit weakness after I imperil? Or give him Diaga/run whatever black magic the boss is weak too? His other slot will probably be the less important half of proshellga most of the time, assuming the fight needs both.

(side question, in said team setup, my mako/DMT are on OK and Vanille. Is that where they should be? I only got DMT during orbfest, and Mako just dropped yesterday, so I'm not used to them)

Use Tyro instead of Gordon and RW something else to fit your needs IMO. You could bring Tyro and RW Shout or similar for more damage or Vaan's BSB to neuter a boss's magic damage (and double dip on defense breakdown) for example.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nihilarian posted:

Once you hit the mag softcap there's little reason to nickel and dime every little magic bonus you can get, +element gear is always going to get you more bang for your buck. The magic softcap is about 1,055 right now (unless it changed recently); with Memento Mori and BSB alone, that 362 becomes 795, and you're one stacking 30% Faithga from hitting 1,034. Without synergy. Raine's stacking potential is pretty asinine.

You're also forgetting that Raines can use his command 2 for another +30% self-buff.

If you don't mind using Devotion/Light of Hope over Ace Striker or Mako Might, Raines can easily self-cap. This is why he's such a great RW - any mage with access to Memento Mori can self-cap in that way.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ApplesandOranges posted:

You're also forgetting that Raines can use his command 2 for another +30% self-buff.

If you don't mind using Devotion/Light of Hope over Ace Striker or Mako Might, Raines can easily self-cap. This is why he's such a great RW - any mage with access to Memento Mori can self-cap in that way.

I think command 2 is included in that number; Devotion is a bad choice though (as are ace striker and Mako Might in most cases) - self capping is in reach without it, so the best bet is Rinoa's +25% Blk, Shantoto's +30% BlK with staff, or Pencil's +30% holy damage materia. (Dark is coming soon, IIRC.)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

the Orb of Zot posted:

How come the stacking ATK+30%s is better than en-Element. Before the ATK softcap it would be, but wouldn't it not be as good afterwards?

The command 1 buff was datamined to be +15%, so that's pretty nice.

I was talking pre-cap, which is relevant because 805 Attack is actually somewhat difficult to reach without multiple stacking buffs or synergy 6 star weapons. Post-cap, 30% Attack is ~15% damage. Note that combining both her +attack buffs and her +damage buff still provides a roughly 50% damage boost even if you were at 805 Attack before going into burst mode.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Oh poo poo I have Pecil's +30% Holy RM. So even with 378 MAG he can do some ridiculous damage using a couple of weeny +holy relics.

Tried him out in a mage team of Quistis/Raines/Serah/Gordon/Vanille and holy god the 9999s lmbo

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Christ, it's depressing how much easier Bart is when you don't have the inherent netplay lag and stupid pubbies. I still lost medals on damage taken/actions taken, but I mastered both the U+ and Apoc first try.

If you have Celes SSB (or Exdeath Grand Cross), you honestly can survive with a RW wall no problem; pop the first right before the two shoulderdongles die, then pop the second immediately after the threshold Ultimate Dispel.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok so I just did the math, and I can do the higher version of the apocalyse dungeon. It just takes like, oh 17 turns of straight dps, and me managing to get 5 actions per rw bsb use. Cause I only have 2 dps as I only have 2 synergy mage weapons, and one is a lovely 3*+++. But hey, native wall, wall break, hastega and curaga+res boost should see me through! Hopefully. :ohdear:

That being said, quistis with 5* black and her bsb just shits damage. I'm gonna do the ult+ version later today when I have time, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beasteh posted:

Oh poo poo I have Pecil's +30% Holy RM. So even with 378 MAG he can do some ridiculous damage using a couple of weeny +holy relics.

Tried him out in a mage team of Quistis/Raines/Serah/Gordon/Vanille and holy god the 9999s lmbo
Yup. And he can do that basically anywhere, as long as you aren't fighting a holy immune boss. If you had a dark armor he could wear you could do it both ways, since it comes with its own +dark weapon.

Man I wish he could wear my Ebon Armor.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

If I'm just looking for relics for a mage team, is the 2nd 13 banner or the upcoming Summoner nightmare banner better?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

General Mage relics you probably want the Summoner Banner.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh, I just noticed DeNA finally remembered that Leo exists

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Summoner's Banner without a doubt, XIII you are mostly chasing Cid's BSB with some alright consolation prizes, Summoner banner is literally filled to the brim with insanely good relics and even most of the "bad" pulls are pretty drat good. It has everything you need all in one place, and one or two lucky 11-pulls could potentially take you from zero to a fully functional mage team.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Summoner's Banner without a doubt, XIII you are mostly chasing Cid's BSB with some alright consolation prizes, Summoner banner is literally filled to the brim with insanely good relics and even most of the "bad" pulls are pretty drat good. It has everything you need all in one place, and one or two lucky 11-pulls could potentially take you from zero to a fully functional mage team.

You're overstating how good the Summoner banner is. It's good, but it's actually fairly comparable to Raines 2 or Seymour 1, and there are a LOT of really terrible relics in the pool.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Newbie checking back in. I'm to the point that my inventory is 100/100 for 3* and up gear. I was told to avoid trashing 3* so what should I do? Trash anything that I have more than X duplicates of? Move on to keeping only 4*?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
are you... combining? you should be combining your 3*s

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Newbie checking back in. I'm to the point that my inventory is 100/100 for 3* and up gear. I was told to avoid trashing 3* so what should I do? Trash anything that I have more than X duplicates of? Move on to keeping only 4*?

Combine duplicates if you have the mats to level them, vault anything that you don't have duplicates of until you get duplicates.

(You can move things from inventory to vault storage by going to the sell button, and then hitting the move to vault option. I didn't realize that was a thing for a very long time)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Richard M Nixon posted:

Do you have room in your Vault? If so, stash stuff there for a while. If not, spend mythril and expand your inventory. You will eventually have to do this either way, 100 slots is not enough.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Should I be using mats to upgrade one item to max and then combine it or am I using the duplicates themselves as an experience source?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Couple of things to do:

1) Spend mythril to increase inventory space. You'll want to do this eventually. I have next to zero 3* items left, yet my inventory is at 250 items now. It's definitely worth it to increase inventory size from time to time.
2) Use the Vault for temporary storage, especially when it comes to rarer realms. A 4* FF2 sword might be very valuable when a FF2 event rolls around, but you really wont need it that often. The Vault is great for situations like that.

Also, while it's a fair bit of work:

3) The 3* gear will stay good for a bit, but as you accumulate 4* and 5* gear, it'll eventually fall behind, even when combined+reforged. So what I'd recommend doing, is occasionally checking what you have for any given realm. The inventory allows for simulating realm synergy. So check the major realms once in a while, sorting by stat and synergy. Got a 3* combined item that is just worse than the 4th or 5th best item for that realm? Just chuck it, unless it's a rare item type like a gun or something. +Mind weapons you probably only need one most of the time. Etc. It's busywork, but you can use it to make sure you're not throwing away something useful.

Finally: Just don't stress about 3* gear. Almost all of it will be junk eventually, and you'll drown in it anyways.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
You'll probably wanna keep anything that has " Increases X elemental damage" on it though

Speaking of inventory, I wish there was a way to sort out RM, or shatter the really lovely ones.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 12, 2017

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i remember when everyone was farming for black cowls...

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

When combining 3 and 4*, you don't need to bother upgrading any duplicates, just the main body.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh thank god they buffed Yda's BSB with name changes.

Command 1: Bootshine -> Snap Punch
Command 2: Rockbreaker -> Fists of Earth

The world makes sense again! :yayclod:

In other news DeNA decided to just put the VI banners on their wiki so we have details on the new stuff from banner 2 now. The notable ones being Leo and Strago's BSBs.

Leo BSB - 8xST Holy/Earth physical dmg, party ATK/RES +30%
Attack-> 2xST Holy/Earth physical dmg, self Quickcast Knight 2
Defend-> 2xAoE Holy/Earth physical dmg, self Sentinel

Strago BSB - 7xAoE Water/Wind/Earth magic dmg, EnWater
Attack-> 4xST Water/Earth magic dmg, ally Magic Blink
Defend-> 2xST Water/Wind piercing magic dmg

I want that Strago BSB, it looks fantastic.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
But Sabin's OSB. Does it drop The Train. IS THE TRAIN FINALLY ABOUT TO LEAVE THE STATION.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
homage to train suplex hasn't happened yet?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure that meme only exists in the western fanbase.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I just realized I forgot to factor in Burst Mode, which gives a +20% boost to all stats. With that, Memento Mori, BSB entry buff and BSB command 2, 378 becomes 997.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Snazzy Frocks posted:

i remember when everyone was farming for black cowls...

I still have a ++ one in my Vault since most of my IV armor is heavy. Still useful!

Oh man that new JP banner with Mog relics and all sorts of Celes goodies will get plenty of my mythril come late June-ish.

Torment dungeons were a lot of fun, I took a shot at it with some excess Thursday stamina and managed to master the standard d200 and d250. The CM was just too much to handle without a real medica or mage relic though, so fingers crossed the Summoner banner provides something for Krile!

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Pretty sure that meme only exists in the western fanbase.

But there's nothing to stop Sabin using his OSB on, say, Phantom Train

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

ohmygosh it says Suplex :flashfap:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Zurai posted:

You're overstating how good the Summoner banner is. It's good, but it's actually fairly comparable to Raines 2 or Seymour 1, and there are a LOT of really terrible relics in the pool.

I don't really think they're that comparable, tbh. First of all, the summoner banner has a way higher concentration of mage stuff - you can pull on the XIII and X banners and walk away with random (mostly lovely) physical stuff, like I just did on the XIII banner. If you specifically want mage relics, you are much more likely to get them pulling on the summoner banner. Also that pool has a few duds (I wouldn't say a *lot*), but it also has:

4 en-element BSBs (and 14 BSBs total)
3 OSBs
5 Faithgas (2 of which are also hastegas)
2 good medicas plus some other white mage BSBs and great utility relics

It's also SSB+, so you've got a 50% chance of any rainbow orb being a BSB or OSB.

If you already have some mage stuff, then yeah, XIII and X might be worth pulling on just because if you get lucky you get an incredible power boost, but if you are starting from scratch, which it sounds like Zonko is, you are much better off pulling on the Summoner banner.

edit: Also, completely unrelated, but that insane guy who hoarded like ten thousand major orbs finally used them:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5mm5xk/hoardlord_has_evolved_to_honelord_final_list/

Didn't take a single skill to R5, wasted a bunch of them, and still has enough to take every future R5 skill known so far to at least R3. The face of insanity.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 12, 2017

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I don't really think they're that comparable, tbh. First of all, the summoner banner has a way higher concentration of mage stuff - you can pull on the XIII and X banners and walk away with random (mostly lovely) physical stuff, like I just did on the XIII banner. If you specifically want mage relics, you are much more likely to get them pulling on the summoner banner. Also that pool has a few duds (I wouldn't say a *lot*), but it also has:

4 en-element BSBs (and 14 BSBs total)
3 OSBs
5 Faithgas (2 of which are also hastegas)
2 good medicas plus some other white mage BSBs and great utility relics

It's also SSB+, so you've got a 50% chance of any rainbow orb being a BSB or OSB.

If you already have some mage stuff, then yeah, XIII and X might be worth pulling on just because if you get lucky you get an incredible power boost, but if you are starting from scratch, which it sounds like Zonko is, you are much better off pulling on the Summoner banner..

So there are more 'wins' on the summon banner but there are also proportionally more losses. If you do the math, honestly, it comes out that you have a roughly equal chance to pulls raines BSB as you do to pull one of the top tier items off of the summon banner.

So, if you have fifty mythril to make one pull? It's pretty drat close. I'd almost say the Raines banner might win. But it's close. Where the summon banner pulls way out in front is that with each subsequent pull as the number of duplicates increases, the summon banner pulls further and further ahead.

TL;Dr: if you have 100 mythril pull once on each. If you have 150 + mythril, pull once on each and if you still want to pull more, the summon banner is a better idea and becomes a better and better idea (in relative terms. After a point, the real answer is stop pulling and save for TG Cid/Golbez/Anniversary banners) with every subsequent 50 mythril.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Torment dungeons don't eat your stamina if you retreat?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Torment dungeons don't eat your stamina if you retreat?

Nope, only if you clear. No penalty for backing out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

Nope, only if you clear. No penalty for backing out

Or for dying horribly. :gibs:

• Locked thread