Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I can't really speculate on possible trade scenarios. The Panthers have the entire local press on lock, and they don't really do their negotiating through the press like oh I dunno Dallas, so we don't know what was and wasn't offered.

My main point is Gettleman is pretty outspoken about taking whomever the best SPARQ athletes are no matter what.

Maybe the collapse this year doesn't happen if they hadn't spent their last two first rounders on depth at their strongest positions.

Now again maybe it's unfair because Vernon got turf toe, and maybe Davis is just a strong breeze away from collapse. But maaaaaaaaan this would be a better team with Landon Collins and oh I dunno, Hunter Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
I liked Henry too and I think that was the pick if Vernon didn't fall (as I recall), but it could still be argued that that would have just been depth. Especially since coming out of college he, like Olsen, didn't run block particularly well. I don't know that they could have had both of them on the field at the same time.

I'm not as crazy on Shaq either but for some reason I remember that being someone Rivera really pushed for. Not sure that size queen gettleman would have gone all in on an undersized LB.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

nah gettleman loved Shaq because he's an athletic freak who can play 3 or 4 positions.

Apparently his SPARQ was average though so uh never mind

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/580836065914785793

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Spoeank posted:

If the Niners take a QB in the first without trading back I am going to scream and yell and it will be quite upsetting to me.

I hope we trade back but I really am not counting on it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

nah gettleman loved Shaq because he's an athletic freak who can play 3 or 4 positions.

Apparently his SPARQ was average though so uh never mind

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/580836065914785793

A few things about SPARQ. It's ran by Nike, the actual formula is protected but a fansite deduced that it's a multiplication of five factors, and I believe it docks you significantly if you don't run all the drills or perform poorly on one or more drills. Stands to reason, of course, but sometimes an athlete can still display elite ability even if not all facets of their game are elite. For instance, Shaq ran a 4.64 40, but had a 4.08 shuttle and 6.99 three cone. This mean's he's quick but not fast. Would you rather your linebacker have elite speed or elite agility?

I support SPARQ since it's based in sound logic and doesn't weight everything towards the 40 yard dash. It's just that you have to look at the meaning behind the numbers when calculating athleticism for all these formulas that companies and pundits come up with.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MrSargent posted:

I hope we trade back but I really am not counting on it.

Who would trade up?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I just want an offensive tackle. Dont give a poo poo where they go after that but they gotta protect cam.

I wouldnt mind seeing a late round h-back type either to give some two tight end set versatility if they can catch worth a poo poo.

What am I thinking... shula is a retard.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

I can't really speculate on possible trade scenarios. The Panthers have the entire local press on lock, and they don't really do their negotiating through the press like oh I dunno Dallas, so we don't know what was and wasn't offered.

My main point is Gettleman is pretty outspoken about taking whomever the best SPARQ athletes are no matter what.

Maybe the collapse this year doesn't happen if they hadn't spent their last two first rounders on depth at their strongest positions.

Now again maybe it's unfair because Vernon got turf toe, and maybe Davis is just a strong breeze away from collapse. But maaaaaaaaan this would be a better team with Landon Collins and oh I dunno, Hunter Henry.

Thankfully you guys didn't get Collins. I don't like that scenario at all. What ever happened to Funchess? Thought he was supposed to break out this year.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Really it's just bad luck that the places Carolina had little/no depth (O-line & secondary) got wrecked by injuries while the places with depth (DL, LB, WR) were relatively healthy.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Carolina's tackles were bad last year. Gettleman overlooked it during the draft. I think they really need to pick up a linebacker soon as well Davis is old and Luke's brain may not hold out much longer.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who would trade up?

I don't think anyone would be dumb enough to move up because it would have to be for a QB. Unless a team just falls in love with a guy...these are teams that are QB needy in my opinion:

Bears - really can't see them moving up 1 spot but Barkley is not the answer with Cutler likely gone

Jets - Fitz gone, Geno blows, Hack is somehow even worse.

Bills - They should keep Taylor but who knows it's the Bills.

Browns - They need a lot of pieces and can't see them moving up.

Pretty long odds but NFL teams are dumb...then again the 49ers have been leading in that category.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Carolina's tackles were bad last year. Gettleman overlooked it during the draft. I think they really need to pick up a linebacker soon as well Davis is old and Luke's brain may not hold out much longer.

Luke will be fine. Shaq will end up taking davis' spot when hes done.

They also have a monster trio of defensive tackles. You could plug any rear end in a top hat in at linebacker and theyd be ok.

They need tackle, safety, defensive end and running back help. In that order.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Safety.

Please safety.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I'm seeing a ton of Cam Robinson would be a huge reach in the top half of the first talk. That disappoints me.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who would trade up?

Jets are the most likely candidate to trade with the Niners (assuming they don't trade up with the Browns).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Doltos posted:

Would you rather your linebacker have elite speed or elite agility?

i want it all

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MrLogan posted:

Jets are the most likely candidate to trade with the Niners (assuming they don't trade up with the Browns).

I would be shocked if the Jets trade up.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I would be shocked if the Jets trade up.
Same. Not for a QB he wont.

He did try to trade up for Laremy Tunsil when he started dropping but the Giants backed out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Same. Not for a QB he wont.

He did try to trade up for Laremy Tunsil when he started dropping but the Giants backed out.

I mean he does have a history of falling in love with terrible QB's so never say never but it seems dumb.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

mcmagic posted:

I mean he does have a history of falling in love with terrible QB's so never say never but it seems dumb.

This. I suspect the Jets will fall in love with a terrible QB.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm seeing a ton of Cam Robinson would be a huge reach in the top half of the first talk. That disappoints me.

I know. He had one bad NCG game, and not even bad considering how elite that front seven of Clemson is. He spent all year perfectly handling top tier DEs and DTs like they were kids. I still have him pegged as an early candidate for the best player in the draft. An award I like to call the Leonard Williams Award in honor of a man who unfortunately went 6th overall to the New York Jets despite clearly being the best prospect in the draft.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MrLogan posted:

This. I suspect the Jets will fall in love with a terrible QB.

Are they falling in love with Christian Hackenberg again?

Doltos posted:

I know. He had one bad NCG game, and not even bad considering how elite that front seven of Clemson is. He spent all year perfectly handling top tier DEs and DTs like they were kids. I still have him pegged as an early candidate for the best player in the draft. An award I like to call the Leonard Williams Award in honor of a man who unfortunately went 6th overall to the New York Jets despite clearly being the best prospect in the draft.

I think there were only 2 other teams ahead of the Jets who could have drafted him and those teams were the Jags and Redskins.

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 13, 2017

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I genuinely don't think Hackenberg is on an NFL roster next season. NFL GMs generally have a hard time accepting when their players should become sunk costs, but the chatter around him seems exceptional.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

I genuinely don't think Hackenberg is on an NFL roster next season. NFL GMs generally have a hard time accepting when their players should become sunk costs, but the chatter around him seems exceptional.

He'll be the Jets 3rd stringer next year. he's probably out of the league by 18.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

BlindSite posted:

Luke will be fine. Shaq will end up taking davis' spot when hes done.

They also have a monster trio of defensive tackles. You could plug any rear end in a top hat in at linebacker and theyd be ok.

They need tackle, safety, defensive end and running back help. In that order.

I meant that the OT's were bad in 2015 and if I'm not mistaken Gettleman still extended them despite it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Doltos posted:

Is he a LT or RT in the NFL? Isn't there a lot of chatter that he'll be an RT at the next level. That'll impact his stock for sure.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I meant that the OT's were bad in 2015 and if I'm not mistaken Gettleman still extended them despite it.

He extended Oher to a reasonable contract after he performed very well in run blocking.

Can't really blame gettleman that ohers brain won't stop bleeding.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Even remmers was mostly serviceable for a lot of the year. Of course he had a few atrocious games but overall he was better than you'd expect him to be.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

Is he a LT or RT in the NFL? Isn't there a lot of chatter that he'll be an RT at the next level. That'll impact his stock for sure.

LT for sure.

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I think there were only 2 other teams ahead of the Jets who could have drafted him and those teams were the Jags and Redskins.

Of course, the award simply exists for the consensus #1 who isn't picked #1. It's not awarded every year either.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Which QB has a chance of dropping to 25 for the Texans? Brad Kaaya?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Man that dropped TD was the turning point

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Man that dropped TD was the turning point

Which one? :psyduck:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kirios posted:

Hard to tell before the combine because some small school QB puts in a great workout and climbs while thinly coded assessments about "mobile" QB's make them drop. In short, yeah, Kaaya will probably be available there.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the Texans best plan was draft a QB somewhere in the middle rounds, 2-4 or so depending on who you see, as the clear backup, and if they outplay Brock in the preseason or after a few games of Brock sucking, put them in.

That last throw was so bad that man... maybe 25th overall is okay.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Kirios posted:

Don't get your hopes up man, just don't

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Dude I would be a-OK with Kaaya at 25. I've kind of liked him all year.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

zimbomonkey posted:

Even remmers was mostly serviceable for a lot of the year. Of course he had a few atrocious games but overall he was better than you'd expect him to be.

I think i supress those performances because the obvious issue is shula who we're stuck with forever.

Well until the team implodes again and the big cat fires everyone and we have to rebuild again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Remmers was at no point serviceable btw

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly I wouldn't even mind taking someone like Nathan Peterman in the 2nd or 3rd. He kind of reminds me of Kirk Cousins coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

There's no way Rick Smith admits he's wrong and drafts a qb this year

• Locked thread