Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

EVERY Australian would be forced to apply for an identity card – unlocked by their fingerprint – under Pauline Hanson’s plan to crackdown on welfare fraud.

The One Nation leader is pressuring the Turnbull Government to accept her policy, which she says is needed to stop welfare overpayments and fraud.

Senator Hanson has told the Government the card would be voluntary but essential if recipients wanted to keep receiving their dole, family tax benefit or child care payments.

How is Family Tax Benefit a form of welfare? I support 5 people on one persons salary. I don't see it as welfare, simply a refund for supporting people out of my own sweat.

Also, how does a card prevent fraud? Fraud is caused by lying, cards can't detect liars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Konomex posted:

How is Family Tax Benefit a form of welfare? I support 5 people on one persons salary. I don't see it as welfare, simply a refund for supporting people out of my own sweat.

Also, how does a card prevent fraud? Fraud is caused by lying, cards can't detect liars.

Its a school of thought, coming from the idea that its "your fault" for being in that position in the first place, and it conveniently ignores social benefit/obligation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

Because "god drat breeder parasites sucking at mah tax dollars".

"Supporting 5 people on one salary is a lifestyle choice. Get a job that pays better." mentality.

etc etc

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Only internal polls are happening at the moment. Galaxy and Newspoll usually come back in February.

QLD is hosed, is what I am saying and some Joh style bullshit is about to happen.

Queensland is only good when it has an authoritarian premier running the place. It makes the rest of Australia feel good.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

EVERY Australian would be forced to apply for an identity card – unlocked by their fingerprint – under Pauline Hanson’s plan to crackdown on welfare fraud.

The One Nation leader is pressuring the Turnbull Government to accept her policy, which she says is needed to stop welfare overpayments and fraud.

Senator Hanson has told the Government the card would be voluntary but essential if recipients wanted to keep receiving their dole, family tax benefit or child care payments.
Oh yeah, cos the Australia Card that Hawke tried to introduce went down so well with the public and media.

Oh wait, it's just more bashing of the poor and underclass, party on Pauline.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

You have to admit, having a single identifier for all government services would be an efficiency.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doesn't MyGov basically do that?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

open24hours posted:

Yes but not everyone has easy access to the internet

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
If only we had some sort of national internetwork available.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
IMO at this rate people on welfare will be required to wear badges identifying them as leaners in 6 months.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I look forward to the day that Australian of the Year awards go to whoever tops the Annual National Lifters index.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Magog posted:

IMO at this rate people on welfare will be required to wear badges identifying them as leaners in 6 months.

badges can be removed, tattoo's on their forearms imo

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

quote:

One Nation leader Pauline Hanson has sidestepped talk about a preference deal with the Liberal National Party at the upcoming Queensland election, saying she's confident the party can win government in its own right.

False alarm someone hosed up negotiations it seems.

Good luck LNP Lmao.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

False alarm someone hosed up negotiations it seems.

Good luck LNP Lmao.

more like good luck queensland you inbred loving hicks

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

ewe2 posted:

the word from on high today is forbidding actual people helping with it

DATA-MATCHING PROGRAM (ASSISTANCE AND TAX) ACT 1990 - SECT 11 posted:

(1) Subject to subsections (1A), (1B) and (4), where, solely or partly because of information given in Step 1, 4 or 6 of a data matching cycle, an assistance agency considers taking action:
(d) to recover an overpayment of personal assistance made to;
a person, the agency:
(e) must not take that action unless it had given the person written notice:
(ii) stating that the person has 28 days from the giving of the notice in which to show cause orally or in writing why the action should not be taken; and

(5A) If a person responds orally to a notice, the person receiving the oral response must make a written record of the response and note on the record the date of the response.

welp

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Actually Queensland is the Canary in the mine showing where the rest of Australia is heading so good luck to all of you

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

The data matching act only covers where a TFN is used for matching, though- Centrelink does a ton of matching just using personal identifiers like name and DOB. Chances are this new debt stuff isn't under that legislation.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

open24hours posted:

That's the obvious role for it, but it doesn't do that very well at all. If you have variations of your name with different departments, you can't link services without first individually contacting each department to update your name. Ideally, MyGov would be the identity provider that does this for you. (And for extra fun, once you've given the ATO, centrelink etc the same name, you'll need to unlink and re-link each service with mygov to update the name that these services provide mygov.)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Anidav posted:

Actually Queensland is the Canary in the mine showing where the rest of Australia is heading so good luck to all of you

lol nope. Nice try though.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

You Am I posted:

lol nope. Nice try though.

Buh buh buh *holds back tears* Brisbane Strong!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Precisely. Can't have a paper trail that contradicts the narrative. First rule of bureaucracy: CYA. But ordering people to do the opposite is breaking the law, as if that matters to a Liberal Minister these days.

Resident Idiot posted:

The data matching act only covers where a TFN is used for matching, though- Centrelink does a ton of matching just using personal identifiers like name and DOB. Chances are this new debt stuff isn't under that legislation.

Technically its regulation which doesn't have to reference the Act, but doesn't mean it's not subject to it. You can't simply write different regulations and contradict an Act.

Mr Chips posted:

That's the obvious role for it, but it doesn't do that very well at all. If you have variations of your name with different departments, you can't link services without first individually contacting each department to update your name. Ideally, MyGov would be the identity provider that does this for you. (And for extra fun, once you've given the ATO, centrelink etc the same name, you'll need to unlink and re-link each service with mygov to update the name that these services provide mygov.)

I had to get my doctor's help to finally get access to my eHealth record and link it. Turns out they tried to fit my address all into a couple of lines and it got cut off part way. So I could never satisfy their proof of identity. This is the kind of broken poo poo everyone's dealing with.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 13, 2017

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Precisely. Can't have a paper trail that contradicts the narrative. First rule of bureaucracy: CYA. But ordering people to do the opposite is breaking the law, as if that matters to a Liberal Minister these days.

Technically its regulation which doesn't have to reference the Act, but doesn't mean it's not subject to it. You can't simply write different regulations and contradict an Act.

I had to get my doctor's help to finally get access to my eHealth record and link it. Turns out they tried to fit my address all into a couple of lines and it got cut off part way. So I could never satisfy their proof of identity. This is the kind of broken poo poo everyone's dealing with.

I never was able to link centrelink to mygov because it claimed my name was wrong :shrug:

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I had to get my Medicare linking sorted out recently. I've had my short name registered with Medicare for as long as I can remember because the full version doesn't fit on the card.

Resident Idiot posted:

I figured I was missing something :(

ewe2 posted:

Yeah but sadly if they are explicitly not matching on TFNs then this isn't subject to that Act. Anyone know what they're actually matching on for this dragnet?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If the MyGov experience wasn't a cautionary lesson in how poo poo government data matching is at present then nothing would convince you of it's crappeditude. Also note how the process is to sell the debt to private enterprise at the earliest opportunity. Ladies and gentlemen (and others) the LNP! Shitlords of private enterprise.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

ewe2 posted:

Well, you can if the legislation doesn't apply to what you're doing. The data matching act only applies to some fairly specific work, not matching between Centrelink and other departments generally - general data matching like this (and the usual matching with tax declaration forms) is done under the Privacy Commissioner's guidelines here:

https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy-law/other-legislation/government-data-matching

Whether *those* rules are being applied I have no idea.

[Edit: those are voluntary guidelines but I'd expect they're intended to be applied in cases like this]

Resident Idiot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 13, 2017

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Queensland State MP Steve Dickson has left the LNP for PHON.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

adamantium|wang posted:

lol, member for Buderim

e: also I wonder if this will accelerate the inevitable merger of LNP with PHON

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 13, 2017

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

This state election is gonna kill me.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I was a bit worried since I had dramas with Centrelink a few years ago while I was studying. Logged into MyGov and the service isn't linked and I've long since forgotten my Centrelink login details. Guess I'll know something's up if they try sending letters to a house I lived in several moves ago, don't get a response, and send hired goons to track me down.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

DancingShade posted:

Because "god drat breeder parasites sucking at mah tax dollars".

"Supporting 5 people on one salary is a lifestyle choice. Get a job that pays better." mentality.

etc etc

Yeah, but they're not 'your' tax dollars. They're my tax dollars being given back to me, literally. And I still pay a butt load of money to pensioners for some reason, because 'saving for my own future' isn't their responsibility? The government had to do it, but then they didn't have the good grace to die when the government thought they would.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
You know what I love the best about mygov? The way it randomly doesn't work at times!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Konomex posted:

Yeah, but they're not 'your' tax dollars. They're my tax dollars being given back to me, literally. And I still pay a butt load of money to pensioners for some reason, because 'saving for my own future' isn't their responsibility? The government had to do it, but then they didn't have the good grace to die when the government thought they would.

agreed, the only good welfare is my welfare.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

My reasons for charter flights along capital city routes were legitimate: Sussan Ley

Turnbull government minister Sussan Ley claims she had no choice but to take expensive charter planes along two busy capital city routes, saying last-minute diary conflicts made commercial flights impossible.

Despite previously refusing to comment on the two flights - between Canberra and Melbourne in July 2014, and Canberra and Adelaide in May 2015 - Ms Ley's office now says she had legitimate reasons for the charters.

With her ministerial future expected to be decided as early as Friday, the commercial pilot has also now denied flying the charter planes herself despite posting pictures of herself in the cockpit.

The Melbourne flight cost taxpayers $6300 and the Adelaide flight almost $7000 - significantly more expensive than business-class tickets.

But Ms Ley's spokesman says that on both occasions she had commercial flights booked but could not use them because of last-minute scheduling conflicts.

In the July 2014 case she says she had to stay back in Canberra because of the Productivity Commission's last-minute decision to launch a report into childcare, for which she was then responsible.

However she still wanted to make the opening of the National Association of Mobile Child Care Services conference in Melbourne, and claims the hourly commercial services were not appropriate.

"In order to ensure both important ministerial commitments were met, the most time-efficient and cost-effective direct form of transport available between the two cities at that time of day was organised within official rules," the spokesman said.

It's understood Ms Ley still turned up late for the second event because fog prevented her landing in Melbourne on time.

The minister - who stood aside on Monday pending an investigation into her expense claims - said the May 2015 flight too was justified.

"The minister had previously booked a commercial flight between Canberra and Adelaide the morning of 1 May however later received a request from the Prime Minister asking her to attend a meeting to discuss government business at 11:00am in Canberra," the spokesman told Fairfax Media.

"In order for the Minister to meet her long-standing commitments in Kadina and Peterborough a charter flight was necessary."

Kadina and Peterborough are towns in regional South Australia where Ms Ley had meetings with GPs, pharmacists and other stakeholders.

Ms Ley's social media accounts indicate she was in the cockpit of the planes, however she denies she piloted them.

Ms Ley is a prodigious user of charter flights around her own electorate, racking up 120 charter flights at a cost of about $210,000 since 2014. She often flies herself and has previously justified these expenses on the basis she has a big electorate and it's the only way to efficiently serve her constituents.

She also regularly charters planes between Canberra and her home base of Albury, with costs ranging from $1500 to $4000 per flight - even though it's only a three and a half hour drive. Other MPs from the area regularly make the drive.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...112-gtqq2w.html

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Mr Chips posted:

Yeah names can be fun. "Oh I'm sorry we can't do this for you because your license says <first> <middle> <last> whereas we have you down as <first> <last>." loving...

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't see why they don't get all this stuff sorted out at the same time they issue birth certificates. Could register people to vote too.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Also note how the process is to sell the debt to private enterprise at the earliest opportunity.

It's agile, disruptive and innovative.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/7NewsQueensland/status/819733542552801282

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Higsian posted:

Yeah names can be fun. "Oh I'm sorry we can't do this for you because your license says <first> <middle> <last> whereas we have you down as <first> <last>." loving...

Western Union hosed me over with this. They didnt bother to enter my middle name when the funds were sent, so that when I rocked up with my passport to claim the money, they said they couldnt release it.

Pissed me right off.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In the event that someone had to completely resign (unlikely, they will all defend each other over this to protect themselves) how is that period waiting for a new member to be elected handled? In situations like now when the government only has a super slim majority I assume there is some system in place to stop them getting defeated in votes in the time between an MP resigning and their replacement entering parliament.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
There has long been tension between often white, more affluent feminists calling for greater police powers, greater state intervention and incarceration as a primary response to the issue of violence against women, and those feminists that recognise the police, state intervention and incarceration as sources of violence themselves. Disproportionately, this is violence against Aboriginal people, as well as against poorer people, people of colour, queer people, and other marginalised groups.

Carceral feminism represents a critical misunderstanding of the real-world consequences of deploying the police; that they do not serve to ‘protect’. Ms Dhu was 22 years old when she died in custody in August 2014, in excruciating pain, after being repeatedly refused medical treatment. She had been held in custody for two days, after being arrested for unpaid fines. According to a March 2016 ABC article, a Senior Constable testified in relation to this death that Sergeant Rick Bond told her Ms Dhu was a junkie who was faking illness; Sergeant Bond was frustrated and she wanted to appease him because "his word was law" and he was known to "verbally attack" people who questioned him.

This is not a case of ‘one bad apple’ - the police as an institution is harmful and violent; violence against minorities is business-as-usual, not an outlier. Ms Dhu’s case is just one tragic case out of numerous deaths in custody, overwhelmingly of Indigenous people. Given the numerous instances of police violence towards women, it is dangerously wrong for carceral feminists to promote incarceration and state intervention as solutions to violence against women.

As Victoria Law writes, “Casting policing and prisons as the solution to domestic violence both justifies increases to police and prison budgets and diverts attention from the cuts to programs that enable survivors to escape, such as shelters, public housing, and welfare. Positioning police and prisons as the principal antidote discourages seeking other responses, including community interventions and long-term organising.”

To use an example from NSW, while already underfunded rape & domestic violence frontline services, women’s shelters and community legal centres - some of the primary free services in the areas of domestic violence and family law - are facing massive funding cuts, the NSW Government is pouring billions of dollars into new prison projects, which will undoubtedly increase and perpetuate instances of violence.

Violence against women is an immense and serious problem, but greater state intervention is neither the appropriate nor the non-violent response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Is that in response to anything in particular? Are there seriously feminists out there who push a tough-on-crime approach as a singular solution to domestic violence?

• Locked thread