Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

Turok was never good.

lol look at this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Gobblecoque posted:

There are altar-looking things that you run up to in order to save. If you've got the assault rifle you've probably ran right past a bunch of them.

Edit: looks like this (world's blurriest picture but it's the first thing that popped up when I googled it)

Fun fact, the closely repeating textures in that screenshot are because that person is playing on an emulator, and there's a common emulator glitch where the Turok textures are messed up that way, tiling more closely than they should. I think I might have even learnt that from earlier in this thread.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

Turok was never good.

I will fight you

Nition posted:

Fun fact, the closely repeating textures in that screenshot are because that person is playing on an emulator, and there's a common emulator glitch where the Turok textures are messed up that way, tiling more closely than they should. I think I might have even learnt that from earlier in this thread.

Yeah, I think I was the one talking about it. Some textures are stretched in certain ways that the emulator just can't read. It's tiling correctly, technically, but the texture isn't stretched properly. I think the original PC version may have done it too, but I can't remember.

Edit: Found the post I made about it:

Mak0rz posted:

No screenshots (the N64 emulation scene is insanely flakey), but I do have some video! Compare this video of correct textures with this video of bad textures (start at 5:05 if the link didn't work right).

E: I made my own hackjob screenshots from the videos.
Correct textures:

Incorrect textures:

The cliff textures are one thing, but the rock in that picture you quoted (and any other decorative objects such as pillars, etc) are especially wrong. The rock is supposed to be textured with just a single instance of that tile! You can see a correct one at about 4:35-ish in the correct video.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 12, 2017

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TVkzeAEWHo&hd=1

Who's excited for this crap? Spoilers: I am.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yodzilla posted:

Turok was never good.

look at this idiot kid that didn't like dinosaurs

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Turok was never good.

CEREBRAL BORE.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon-Lime posted:

CEREBRAL BORE.

Boring

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

into alien skulls

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
My high school buddy rented a N64 when Turok first came out and I was very impressed with it even though I had already been playing Quake for months.

Then the PC version of Turok came out and I played through the 3Dfx version while listening to Primus' Pork Soda on random loop.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Copper Vein posted:

Then the PC version of Turok came out and I played through the 3Dfx version while listening to Primus' Pork Soda on random loop.

:allears:

Me and the neighbour kid used to play quake with low gravity + a cd with classical music in the player and laughed our asses off at the flying gibs. Also using the winamp pitch plugin to speed up and slow down Metallica and System of a Down (that actually turned out to be Storm Troopers of Death songs, thanks Kazaa). Good Tymes..

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lemon-Lime posted:

CEREBRAL BORE.

Turok =/= Turok 2

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Lemon-Lime posted:

CEREBRAL BORE.

more like perpetual bore :rolleyes:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
If I wanted to pretend to hunt dinosaurs, I would rather play Carnivores.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Turok is the closest thing we have to a good decent Jurassic Park game you loving heathens. :colbert:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Castor Poe posted:

Turok is the closest thing we have to a good decent Jurassic Park game you loving heathens. :colbert:

Someone never played Operation Genesis

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

The Sega Genesis Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition was awesome.

Are there any Doom mods that do Dino enemies?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Turok had nice models and animations for the time, I'll give it that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Turok 2 owned and so did playing the raptor in the single player

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Holy poo poo, I need this in my life.

comingafteryouall posted:

Meh, I've always prefered the SNES version. The FPS sections were really, really lovely, but it had the best Donkey Kong Country track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1EGNaPTACc&index=3&list=PLB60BAF71CCE5D0C7

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Castor Poe posted:

Holy poo poo, I need this in my life.

Meh, I've always prefered the SNES version. The FPS sections were really, really lovely, but it had the best Donkey Kong Country track:

I like that game, too. The FPS parts are terrible and run with the slowest FPS but it was probably my first exposure to first person shooter gameplay.

Looking back, it was a really ambitious game, it was open world and had multiple game modes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I remember being super jealous of the SNES JP game, and working through that jealousy by being a mother loving raptor in the first Genesis JP game.

I remember that someone told me that it has adaptive difficulty. Is that true? Does the game get harder if you get awesome?

Edit: found a clarification on what I had heard:

From Wikipedia: "The game features "Artificial Dinosaur Intelligence" that causes the dinosaur enemies to react differently every time a level is played, giving the player a unique experience each time. "

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 13, 2017

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Castor Poe posted:

So 90's I can feel my Ace of Base throbbing.

I got down to the final 2 eggs before game over when I was a kid. It still stands as one of the most soul-crushing video game experiences of my life.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Second SNES game gave us one of Reelism's better Gutrot Island tracks, so it's got that going for it, too!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I also liked Chaos Island which was pretty much a command and conquer style RTS.

comingafteryouall posted:

Are there any Doom mods that do Dino enemies?

Flat "Jurassic Park" on the Genesis was the way to go. Rampage edition had cartoony graphics. The regular game had crazy spooky graphics for its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q10R8VzVqw That intro! SEGA!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jan 13, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Turok =/= Turok 2

I assume he's talking about the series, as a whole.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

Flat "Jurassic Park" on the Genesis was the way to go. Rampage edition had cartoony graphics. The regular game had crazy spooky graphics for its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q10R8VzVqw That intro! SEGA!
I really, really, really wanted a Genesis just because that game looked amazing and I was obsessed with JP, but my parents decided that we needed a computer instead. A computer! Bah! Then one day my dad brought home this thing that one of the lab techs had shown him - something called Wolfenstein 3D...

(In retrospect I think I would have disliked the JP game if I had actually played it back then)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I still remember being a 13 year old dumbass on Compuserve and complaining that Jurassic Park Rampage Edition was worse than the original Jurassic Park game, and one of the game's developers replied to argue with me about it

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
But how does it rate compared to Doom: Rampage Edition?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

david_a posted:

I really, really, really wanted a Genesis just because that game looked amazing and I was obsessed with JP, but my parents decided that we needed a computer instead. A computer! Bah! Then one day my dad brought home this thing that one of the lab techs had shown him - something called Wolfenstein 3D...

(In retrospect I think I would have disliked the JP game if I had actually played it back then)

I had a PC and a SNES, but luckily my best friend back then down the neighborhood had a Genesis, and that was one of the games I made him let me play a ton of.

My parents also wouldn't let me play Wolf3D or Doom, although I did so on another friend's computer and then played Dark Forces and Heretic on my own computer which were somehow more acceptable?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, Dark Forces, sure - you don't really gib anyone in that game.

Heretic, tho...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, Dark Forces, sure - you don't really gib anyone in that game.

Heretic, tho...

Dark Forces: no gore, so you can always pretend the enemies are just stunned or something. (And then you blow up their ship.)

Heretic: you don't fight humans, you fight gargoyles and skeletons.

Wolfenstein and Doom are bloody, gory, and you kill humans (even if they're kinda a minority in Doom's enemy roster).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I want MachineGames to make a new Heretic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Yodzilla posted:

and id to make a new quake

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Mutant Standard posted:

and id to make a new quake

Already happening.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cat Mattress posted:

Dark Forces: no gore, so you can always pretend the enemies are just stunned or something. (And then you blow up their ship.)

Heretic: you don't fight humans, you fight gargoyles and skeletons.

Wolfenstein and Doom are bloody, gory, and you kill humans (even if they're kinda a minority in Doom's enemy roster).

Well, Doom has "former" humans, and Nazis are only debatably human.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

FanaticalMilk posted:

Already happening.

That's not fully by id, it's by Saber Interactive as well. My guess is id will have another huge DOOM style project in the works too, which some hope would be a new Quake game with single-player. I love the arena action, but the single player FPS campaign with excellent level design and whatnot is what I crave more of most.

I want a new Duke game and Half-Life 3 by the way.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

david_a posted:

Legit expected you to say 'Trespasser'.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keiya posted:

Legit expected you to say 'Trespasser'.

HD remake when?!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

That's not fully by id, it's by Saber Interactive as well. My guess is id will have another huge DOOM style project in the works too, which some hope would be a new Quake game with single-player. I love the arena action, but the single player FPS campaign with excellent level design and whatnot is what I crave more of most.

I want a new Duke game and Half-Life 3 by the way.

Yeah what I want most of all is for Id to make a game using the Doom 4 engine but featuring more creative locations, like the kind of lovecraftian settings we got in Quake 1.

What we've seen so far of the new quake looks more like a free2play multiplayer-only game, so we'll see if Id is working on a single player campaign or another game entirely or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Yodzilla posted:

I've been pondering a new Heretic game since I finished it a little bit ago, and I'm actually just in general not sure how a modern Heretic would be. Of course, after New Order and Old Blood, I'd follow MachineGames anywhere. My personal unlikely to be fulfilled wish is MachineGames' Duke Nukem.

Wamdoodle posted:

HD remake when?!

Curious, I looked up Trespasser HD and found a blog where someone has been working on one.