Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

flosofl posted:

When I worked $JOB-1 (very large international), I was at a conference with bunch of colleagues from around the globe. I was out drinking with one of my co-workers from Amsterdam and he said almost the exact same thing when explaining what he saw as the biggest business culture differences between Europe and the US. He flat out said most people in the Euro branch of the company saw the US view on work/life balance as insane and skewed the *wrong* way.

That was over 10 years ago, and it's never far from my mind. It made a real difference when negotiating for the place I'm at now.

Yeah; it's pretty frustrating how the US sees work/life balance as almost a taboo.

The whole concept of balance has governed my career and is such a big deal to me. Yeah; I may come home and blog about technical stuff - but its at my discretion, and I can turn it off whenever I feel like it. Any job that will fault me for giving my wife and kids priority is not a job I care to work. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
The reason I've been offered a chance to go back to Oz for a few weeks (or at least from what I can piece together) is that the guy working there has a work life balance and says cya later at 5pm.
However we've sent over a UK boss who is mental and works 24/7 - we think she is expecting the guy over there to deliver everything NOW and is upset that he isn't working 24/7 to do so.

I guess managing expectations is a couple of words of advice I might offer but the other words would be I'll stay the gently caress away thanks :D

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

The biggest issue I had with the proposal is the whole "do you want to just work a job or do you want a CAREER". Turning down this opportunity doesn't mean I'm giving up on career advancement. I've got plans to go back to school and get a 4 year degree starting this summer, but that's completely different from asking me to move away for up to 3 years into Europe.

I bust my rear end at work and stay over when necessary, but I'm not a slave to this company. I value family time and personal time just as much as I value getting better at my job.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

When I worked $JOB-1 (very large international), I was at a conference with bunch of colleagues from around the globe. I was out drinking with one of my co-workers from Amsterdam and he said almost the exact same thing when explaining what he saw as the biggest business culture differences between Europe and the US. He flat out said most people in the Euro branch of the company saw the US view on work/life balance as insane and skewed the *wrong* way.

That was over 10 years ago, and it's never far from my mind. It made a real difference when negotiating for the place I'm at now.

I work in amsterdam now for a international company. And the lead here said something along the same lines.
"When you have a day off you are off, you shouldn't sit and keep an eye on your mail in your free time. l. In the US it's different, you saw the e-mail thread last weekend where the guy replied with "i'm doing groceries at the moment, will log in when i'm back home and start working on $thing." The expectation there is different."

It hadn't really hit me until i saw that e-mail thread.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sefal posted:

I work in amsterdam now for a international company. And the lead here said something along the same lines.
"When you have a day off you are off, you shouldn't sit and keep an eye on your mail in your free time. l. In the US it's different, you saw the e-mail thread last weekend where the guy replied with "i'm doing groceries at the moment, will log in when i'm back home and start working on $thing." The expectation there is different."

It hadn't really hit me until i saw that e-mail thread.
Some of that is an emergent property of how teams are structured. For all the promise of DevOps and cross-functional teams and breaking down silos and how that helps the organization empathize with customers, it throws a lot more people into roles where they're expected to be responsive 24x7. The counterpoint to that is that without adequate labor protections, overloading centers of excellence within a traditional hierarchical organization causes insane hours trying to meet arbitrary deadlines too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Even within the US, corporate cultures can be different.

I just came from a job where I was on call 24/7, everything needed to be done now. The place I'm at now, my boss routinely tells me that what I'm working on can wait until tomorrow and to go home.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Vargatron posted:

I bust my rear end at work and stay over when necessary, but I'm not a slave to this company. I value family time and personal time just as much as I value getting better at my job.

That's exactly how I view work and I wish the culture in the US were different. Work life balance is what makes/breaks job offers for me and I've gotten better about getting an interviewer to give candid answers on their team/department/company. Deflection responses are red flags to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A few worker protections would solve this pretty quickly. Overtime laws that capped hours at 35/week and introduce stiff multipliers for overtime on evenings and weekends would make it more attractive to staff realistically for the workloads. Once that happens, you get fewer single points of failure and a team can afford to have a person or two out of the office and inaccessible.

If you have a 3x multiplier and minimum 1 hour of overtime for any off hours incident that needs to be responded to, it becomes a lot more palatable to hire someone junior to cover those hours at a non-overtime rate. They can usually do other work too, so it can decrease the daytime staffing needs.

Unlikely to happen anytime soon now though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vargatron posted:

The biggest issue I had with the proposal is the whole "do you want to just work a job or do you want a CAREER". Turning down this opportunity doesn't mean I'm giving up on career advancement. I've got plans to go back to school and get a 4 year degree starting this summer, but that's completely different from asking me to move away for up to 3 years into Europe.

I mean do you have an interest in living abroad? Germany is a pretty awesome place, including placing an emphasis on that whole work/life balance thing. It's also in a central location so you can easily travel around Europe for the whole personal life thing.

Unless someone in your family is sick, I'd say go for it and ask him if they'll provide a travel stipend to visit relatives back in the states.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Definitely go to Germany if you can. Bring your family! Do anything you can to escape the hellhole your country is becoming.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm going to agree with CD if only because it's dumb that you all are complaining about work life balance while simultaneously trying to dissuade a guy from moving to a place known for having a good work life balance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

psydude posted:

I mean do you have an interest in living abroad? Germany is a pretty awesome place, including placing an emphasis on that whole work/life balance thing. It's also in a central location so you can easily travel around Europe for the whole personal life thing.

Unless someone in your family is sick, I'd say go for it and ask him if they'll provide a travel stipend to visit relatives back in the states.

Key thing is I don't have an interest for living abroad. I like where I live even though the politics are getting terrible. My job here state side is good and provides me ample challenge and opportunities for career advancement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vargatron posted:

Key thing is I don't have an interest for living abroad. I like where I live even though the politics are getting terrible. My job here state side is good and provides me ample challenge and opportunities for career advancement.

Okay well then don't take the job.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Don't do it then? I think you're weird though for that, why wouldn't you want to take what sounds like an opportunity to live and work abroad? This seems to tie into this weird thing where so many Americans I know not only don't have passports, they seem to have no interest in traveling.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I think y'all may have missed the part where he wants to finish his degree. That's a real good reason to stay in the states.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

Don't do it then? I think you're weird though for that, why wouldn't you want to take what sounds like an opportunity to live and work abroad? This seems to tie into this weird thing where so many Americans I know not only don't have passports, they seem to have no interest in traveling.

I'm really attached to where I live, not to mention the fact that my dad and grandparents aren't in the greatest health. I don't mind traveling to other countries or anything, but I don't want to live abroad.

Some people are capable of packing up and moving for work and I completely understand that. It's just not something I want to do personally, especially if I already have a good job and position where I'm at.

This was apparently a company initiative to where our main corporate office in Germany wants to get some Americans working there and get some German nationals working here at our plant state side. Seems like they're asking all the single/young professionals at work about their interest in moving to Germany.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

We manage the US branch of a large multinational corporation. Someone left a port open to a server and a hacker came in and managed to take down the entire company with cryptolocker or some variant. lol i imagine we are fired for this.

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 12, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

George H.W. oval office posted:

We manage the US branch of a large multinational corporation. Someone left a port open to a server and a hacker came in and managed to take down the entire company with cryptolocker or some variant. lol i imagine we are fired for this.

Goondolences on this. You're not on the security/networking team are you?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
How rough would it be to live in Germany without being able to speak German before going over?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

How rough would it be to live in Germany without being able to speak German before going over?

Everyone speaks English in the main centres, you'd be fine.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Goondolences on this. You're not on the security/networking team are you?

Na this was nothing I was a part of thank god. The owner has a great relationship with the client and CIO so either this is gonna be a really good learning example or an unfortunate firing of the company. Either way will be exciting to watch

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

My theory when travelling in Europe is that anyone under the age of 40 seems to speak English well enough, and with patience you can work with anyone else if you know yes/no/please/thank you and can count to 5.

Or, if you're in Italy, just say Prego for everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Fool posted:

Or, if you're in Italy, just say Prego for everything.

This worked very well in Italy when I was there assessing a bank's security in 2006. (we were thinking about acquiring them at the time)

I was in Padova for about a month, hung out with a bunch of British ex-pats and had a blast. "Prego" was the only Italian word I needed.

One thing I definitely miss is the leisurely pace of evening meals.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Welp after 2 debugs, 5 show commands, config snippets, and a conference call, Senior Fedora's boss was able to check the box that fixed my OSPF issue. Successful Thursday :toot:

Too bad windstream turned down the BGP peer until the activation is considered complete on their end :smithcloud:

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

What does he have on your CEO? :cawg:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For the past four years we've had a dozen Laserjet M375NW. They've been hanging in there but in the last couple months they're suddenly all making GBS threads the bed at the same time.

Can anyone recommend a newer model of multi-function laser printer that:

- Is reliable (for laser printers, at least)

- Can print in color

- Can take generic toner (i.e. no crazy DRM)

- Scan to USB

- Wifi, preferably 5ghz compatible

- Mostly low volume but can handle occasional 100-page print jobs without exploding

I'm not married to HP, I've heard they're kind of always the worst compared to Konica Minolta / Brother etc. but who knows these days, they probably all come out of the same factory.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't bought a printer in 5 years or so, but I swore off HP's a long time ago. Anything 3xxx series or less was a piece of poo poo. 4xxx and up series stuff might still be OK.

I bought a couple brother printers last time we needed them, had no complaints from the users. HR got a MFP that I think does everything you want it to do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

German's also a pretty easy language to pick up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Zero VGS posted:

- Is reliable (for laser printers, at least)

Are there printers that are more reliable than laser?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

- Wifi, preferably 5ghz compatible
It's a printer. Unless it's on a cart that needs to be moved around to random places not near outlets why can't it be wired?

Most WiFi-capable printers, especially multifunction units, are horrible piles of poo poo intended for consumers who don't know any better.

RFC2324 posted:

It may have been loud and slow, but my old Epson dot matrix printer literally never had a problem of any kind. Not even a paper jam because of that system with the tear off holes those things use. My LaserJet 4 is a close second since it's also never had a part failure or software issue, but it has jammed up a few times.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 13, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you need Wi-Fi then just grab a decent AP that can operate in client mode and plug that into the printer. Don't gently caress around with a small office machine.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

Well I mean reliable for a printer in general. But since you asked, Zebra thermal printers are like Sherman tanks.

Thanks Ants posted:

If you need Wi-Fi then just grab a decent AP that can operate in client mode and plug that into the printer. Don't gently caress around with a small office machine.

There's a couple places in the office that don't have a way to do an ethernet run, but have fine wifi coverage. Surprisingly, all these HP printers have had no wifi issues at all, other than the fact that I have to have a seperate SSID just for them because they can only do 2.4ghz when everything else is forced on 5ghz.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wolrah posted:

It may have been loud and slow, but my old Epson dot matrix printer literally never had a problem of any kind. Not even a paper jam because of that system with the tear off holes those things use. My LaserJet 4 is a close second since it's also never had a part failure or software issue, but it has jammed up a few times.

I know man! And what's with all these idiots using "Personal Computers" and poo poo, you'll never beat the reliability and rock solid operation of a good old mainframe. These dumbasses just don't know any better. Just disgusting I tell you, world's going to poo poo.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Other than signing up for the AWS free tier and burning through documentation, what are some good blogs/resources for me to bone up on AWS with a focus on EC2?

I last touched EC2 over two years ago, and it was more of a pets not cattle situation with that job . I have a potential interview where 30-50% of the responsibilities are AWS, and I'm confident I can fake it until I make it with all of the other large infrastructure and scripting experience I have.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

A Cloud Guru is worth the money. You can search around for coupon codes.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Generating a report on a file share in preparation for a data migration.

It's still enumerating files, and so far we're at a little over 200gb over 600k files in 70k folders.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That's... not all that much?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

I'm not married to HP, I've heard they're kind of always the worst compared to Konica Minolta / Brother etc. but who knows these days, they probably all come out of the same factory.
Check out Toshiba. We're moving to them from Xerox and it's like bouncing from Hell straight into God's lap.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

That's... not all that much?

I feel like 200gb of data with an average file size of ~300kb is quite a bit, but maybe I lack perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Super Soaker Party! posted:

I know man! And what's with all these idiots using "Personal Computers" and poo poo, you'll never beat the reliability and rock solid operation of a good old mainframe. These dumbasses just don't know any better. Just disgusting I tell you, world's going to poo poo.

I'm just answering the question if what's more reliable than laser, not recommending their use outside of the rare situations one still needs to print to carbon paper. My standard printer recommendations are whatever the cheapest Brother networked laser is for home users and the HP M400 series for office applications too small to justify a big machine with a service plan.