Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes. Louis Feuillade's serials are a good counterpoint to anyone who believes silents are boring.

Personally, I found Judex to be the best of the three that are available and Fantomas is great, too.

This reminds me, I wanted to check out that movie Irma Vep, which apparently stars an actress playing herself during a fictional remaking of Feuillade's Les Vampires, and also (from what I've heard) takes some strong cues from Day for Night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

This reminds me, I wanted to check out that movie Irma Vep, which apparently stars an actress playing herself during a fictional remaking of Feuillade's Les Vampires, and also (from what I've heard) takes some strong cues from Day for Night.

I haven't seen Les Vampires but Irma Vep is cool. Olivier Assayas is one of the most interesting living filmmakers.

It's on Amazon Prime if you have that.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is Les Vampires any good or is it on the 1001 film list just to gently caress with me

Yep it's pretty good. I watched it recently and wrote about it in the They Shoot Pictures thread.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I haven't seen Les Vampires but Irma Vep is cool. Olivier Assayas is one of the most interesting living filmmakers.

It's on Amazon Prime if you have that.

Oh cool, definitely checking it out then. What else of Assayas' would you recommend? I think all I've seen of his is Clouds of Sils Maria.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Outback Steakhouse should rename their LOADED BLOOMIN ONION (literally a whole fried onion with cheese fries dumped on top) the Brundlefry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Oh cool, definitely checking it out then. What else of Assayas' would you recommend? I think all I've seen of his is Clouds of Sils Maria.

Summer Hours and Carlos are both outstanding. The former is a great family drama, the latter an epic-length exploration of international terrorism. Assayas is very versatile. Last I checked, Carlos is on Netflix in both it's theatrical and TV Miniseries versions (I recommend the miniseries, it's split into three parts that are each basically a feature length movie, I did it over three nights).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Egbert Souse posted:

I've been meaning to see it. The only Franju I've seen so far is Eyes Without a Face. Haven't gotten enough courage to watch Blood of the Beasts yet.

I took a horror class back in university. We watched Blood of the Beasts before watching Eyes Without a Face. The idea being that both films tied into the idea of horror being a way for nations to deal with historical trauma as put forward in Lowenstin's Shocking Representation, in this case WW2 and the Holocaust. The calm, professional, and almost mechanical way the animals are butchered supposedly mirroring the cold and calculated industrial genocide of the war.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think Clive Barker said Blood of the Beasts was one of his favorite horror movies.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well watching these videos lead me to Alantutorial which I'd never even heard of before and what am I even watching right now?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Supposed to get WiFi back this saturday and one of the first orders of business will be to watch Eyes Without a Face.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just be sure to watch on an empty stomach.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think Clive Barker said Blood of the Beasts was one of his favorite horror movies.

To tie into the discussion in the Horror thread and defend Hollismason a bit, Franju did it in black and white cause he thought it would be too visceral otherwise.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well watching these videos lead me to Alantutorial which I'd never even heard of before and what am I even watching right now?

There's apparently a video that explains Alantutorial, but I don't wanna see that and ruin the magic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What are the How To videos that are shot first person and get kinda gross and violent pretty quickly, he usually smashes a raw egg with his hand, I think that gif of massively over pouring a latte comes from it?

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 13, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HowToBasic was hilarious at first, but the gimmick wore out its welcome pretty quickly.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe. I still like it when he shows up in Maxmoefoe's vids.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bar is showing a bunch of Simpsons and Jesus Christ newish Simpsons look loving terrible.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Maggie_shopping_cart_1999_vs_2009.gif

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Skwirl posted:

Bar is showing a bunch of Simpsons and Jesus Christ newish Simpsons look loving terrible.

Visually or in general?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

He's always rude to me, so it's nothing new.

quote:

dumb shits like me

Have more respect in your own intelligence and maybe people won't talk down to you.

And holy loving poo poo at name dropping Brett loving Ratner as someone who you'd take advice from for screenwriting. That guy only ever had a job because of nepotism and ease of access to drugs and hot models (he was a still photographer before being handed his first directing gig) and has never written any of his movies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

The switch to HD just killed what was left of the animation quality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Krazyface posted:

Visually or in general?

Visually, any individual screen shot probably looks fine but in motion it looks loving horrible, and there were older episodes on earlier that looked great so it's not just the bar having tvs set for sports.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Have more respect in your own intelligence and maybe people won't talk down to you.

And holy loving poo poo at name dropping Brett loving Ratner as someone who you'd take advice from for screenwriting. That guy only ever had a job because of nepotism and ease of access to drugs and hot models (he was a still photographer before being handed his first directing gig) and has never written any of his movies.

So angry!

Also I think you misunderstood my point. I was just trying to make a point that despite how bad a person is, they're successful so they probably have something to offer.

Not much though.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 13, 2017

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Timby posted:

The switch to HD just killed what was left of the animation quality.

There's such a verve to everything in the old-school credits, like look at that joyous sweep of Marge's hair right there. To trade that in for the two-frame horsehit in the bottom version, man

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAb4axI2JOo

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw9s9nkuE30

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Look, I'm not typically one to throw shade at SMG, I think he's a very insightful guy and his posts are a hoot to read. But the fact of the matter is that none of the found footage Youtubes I've seen him post over the years have come close to the power of this classic, and someone's gotta take him to task for that

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

I love how context-free this moment is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jenny Angel posted:

There's such a verve to everything in the old-school credits, like look at that joyous sweep of Marge's hair right there. To trade that in for the two-frame horsehit in the bottom version, man

In all honesty, it's unfair of me to blame the HD transition for the drop in the animation quality, because Fox has been steadily reducing the budget on The Simpsons for years -- I think the voice cast has steadily eaten about a total of a 40 - 45 percent pay cut over the past decade or so, and the animation budget has taken a similar hit, too, because the show isn't a ratings blockbuster anymore. I'm pretty sure Fox has seen it as a loss leader for a while, now, which is why Harry Shearer had his tantrum a year or two ago.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Holy moly I'm an hour into Metropolis (Kino restoration) and how the gently caress did Lang make this film in nineteen goddamn twenty-seven.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKlRN2YpxRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 13, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

So angry!

Also I think you misunderstood my point. I was just trying to make a point that despite how bad a person is, they're successful so they probably have something to offer.

Not much though.

You said that about Max Landis too, and honestly the only lesson anyone can learn from him is that having a wildly successful director as a father helps when when negotiating a pay check for a screenplay. If you can do that then definitely go for it, but that's not really an option for most people.

I should also point out that a general rule of thumb is 1 page of a screen play equals 1 minute and Max Landis films clock in at around 90 minutes, your Invader Zim fan fiction is 160 pages, get rid of all the exposition, re-read it and then only re-introduce parts of the exposition if another important scene makes zero sense without it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

So angry!

Not much though.

Success is not always based on merit, and should not be your main criterion for who you should model yourself after, in life or art.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gorman Thomas posted:

Holy moly I'm an hour into Metropolis (Kino restoration) and how the gently caress did Lang make this film in nineteen goddamn twenty-seven.

It's pretty amazing but there was a lot of stuff like that in the 20s.

The late silent era is one of the peaks of film as an art form. Filmmakers had gotten really good at telling stories visually since the visuals were all there was. The introduction of sound was a pretty big step back in some ways because having to worry about getting good sound often meant compromises had to be made on the visual front since the early mics were really bulky and clumsy hugely limiting the movement of both the actors and the camera. Basically taking film back to the 19th century for a few years.

Not that all early sound films were like this. Lang's M is one of his best films and is a pretty early talkie. But I imagine that was a case of him using his experience and talent to find ways to work around the limitations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arnheim had some good ideas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Probably getting a switch now, but I have to say Mario interacting with normally proportioned humans is even more disturbing than Sonic the Hedgehog doing the same.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not that all early sound films were like this. Lang's M is one of his best films and is a pretty early talkie. But I imagine that was a case of him using his experience and talent to find ways to work around the limitations.

The beauty of M is that it's more visually inventive, clever, and efficient than most movies made today.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I enjoy the image of Mario invading a semi-realistic city and forcing people to engage in his hat-based tomfoolery

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was happy for a split second because this really cool girl I've been seeing is coming over to watch a movie tomorrow.

Then I found my dad's twitter.

Guess I'm not coming out to my parents any time soon :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The beauty of M is that it's more visually inventive, clever, and efficient than most movies made today.

Efficient is a great way to describe M. Its like clockwork.

• Locked thread