Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

No. Stop. Put it down.

DSMs are too far.

Get that out of your mouth. Let go.

But it's got the leather wrapped horse cock option :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

14 BAR RIFF posted:

If there's just one single lining to working in the rain in Kent it's that at least it's not too cold for lighters to work. They just don work because the flints all got wet

It's been so cold here in Portland that I've been wishing for rain so it warms up...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I love how the only places I'm soaked through to skin are my forehead running into my eyes and slicking the nose pads on my glasses, and dead center high between my shoulders just above the barrier of the coveralls so it can funnel in and down as goD intended

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This is paying work right?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe Gremlin promised to give back the Spirit once 14 has completed these vehicles as penance.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

This is paying work right?

One way Or another, we are all gonna pay :unsmigghh:

Step one of any proper bearing pack is ensuring a clean dry work area so any and every dropped greased item doesn't accidentally pick up debris that could damage the seal or race.

Waiting for tomorrow on Saturn progress

And finally I just know There's a joke in here somewhere but I just can't seem to get it started

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Am I seeing it correctly, the guy's house is the same purple as his vehicles?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Hi MikeyTsi!

For content, that's my favorite color ever offered as a factory paint option by Ford on the Ranger.

How the hell did he pop the head gasket on that L61? I always thought those were pretty durable aside from the lovely timing chain tensioner on earlier models. Or did it skip timing and do the valve piston sexy thing?

Sgt Fox posted:

Am I seeing it correctly, the guy's house is the same purple as his vehicles?

IIRC he inherited the house after his mother passed (I want to say it's been a year?), and some repairs were a lot more important than repainting the house. There's a thread in DIY about it.

edit: it's been a bit longer, but yeah, the house needed/needs work before he can think about exterior paint.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 9, 2017

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Daaaave, come plaaay with meeeeeeeee.....

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/5935316923.html

edit: how the gently caress does a biturbo end up in Eatonville?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Hm

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Are those e-torx headbolts I see?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to talks about it

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I don't want to talks about it

Congratulations, you're now an honorary member of Dethklok.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
THREEPIO

SHUT DOWN ALL GARBAGE COMPACTORS ON THE DETENTION LEVEL

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lmfao this is fine right

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Those DSM boys love jamming random camshafts they found on the internet into their five-dollar explosion boxes, so all you've found there is an excuse to get something nicer.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just run a high zinc oil for a few changes, it'll be fine.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just run a high zinc oil for a few changes, it'll be fine.

lol the short cam sits level across the entire length and the long cam is fully seated at the gear end journal and like 80% at the next one in before deciding to follow it's dreams

I love you, GM. No matter what, never, ever change.

At this point I had my friend personally witness that somehow despite not once ever leaving the immediate area or even his line of sight at all, somehow between the previous cigarette and the intended next I managed to phase shift the box for them out of my pocket, leave the entire pack loose in my pocket, and then manage to rematerialize dead center of the dash totally empty and undamaged inside the locked Red Bug.

Luckily the head itself appears to be still as fresh and new as the day it rolled off the line

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So far the only issues I've encountered with the bug are about half dozen totally sporadic random electrical component suddenly freak the gently caress out but luckily every single time I finallY decide something actually broke this time it fixes itself

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So far the only issues I've encountered with the bug are about half dozen totally sporadic random electrical component suddenly freak the gently caress out but luckily every single time I finallY decide something actually broke this time it fixes itself

Rawrl
Mar 30, 2010
Sounds like a 2000s-era VW.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

14 BAR RIFF posted:

lol the short cam sits level across the entire length and the long cam is fully seated at the gear end journal and like 80% at the next one in before deciding to follow it's dreams

I love you, GM. No matter what, never, ever change.

How the gently caress did THAT happen? Did the power steering pump lock up?

And... yeah, the water pump being timing chain driven just strikes me as weird - it makes it a massive pain in the rear end to change the pump. While it's apart, get the latest revision tensioner; the earlier ones were a known weak point on that engine. Since you have the cover off it's a 2 minute job to change it; with the cover on it's about 10 minutes (9 of that trying to get the old out without any of the parts of the tensioner escaping) - it just screws in fro mthe firewall side.

Same engine is in my car... :ohdear: Except without the cam driven power steering pump - they changed to electric assist on later models.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

How the gently caress did THAT happen? Did the power steering pump lock up?

Red Bull gives you liftwings? :shrug: All I know is its back to normal re positioning the cam in the head to check it again so as far as i can tell it was just a funky removal coupled by an optical effect reflecting the light of venus through swamp gas to make it appear far more severe than it was in actuality? The bigger unanswered question is still how the gently caress did my cigarettes do?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
was the cam chain still tensioned? that can cantilever the cam pulling them up. (and also extending the tensioner alllll the way out)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

was the cam chain still tensioned? that can cantilever the cam pulling them up. (and also extending the tensioner alllll the way out)

That's what I thought. If the chain is tensioned, it'll pull the cam up with the cam bearing caps removed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Would that still happen with a hydraulic tensioner?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Would that still happen with a hydraulic tensioner?

I think the tension on the chain is the operative cause, the mechanism of providing tension is irrelevant.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can someone flick a cigarette at me? I took my car into the shop because I thought the pump that sprayed windshield washer fluid was dead and it turns out everything was just frozen.

that also may have been a placeholder so I could bookmark this thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Can someone flick a cigarette at me? I took my car into the shop because I thought the pump that sprayed windshield washer fluid was dead and it turns out everything was just frozen.

that also may have been a placeholder so I could bookmark this thread.

The pump has probably broken from the summer windshield washer fluid expanding inside it, so prepare yourself to replace that when it gets warm.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Omfg

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Did you forget to park in the leaf pile?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think that's one of his socks?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

It is

steady
Feb 28, 2011
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

Oh. I thought it was a flattened road-kill and 14" was grieving over it.
Anyway, time to check it and put it to use again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just spent two days of fun and excitement searching for the perfect victim. Spotted in the customer lot

There were between 6 and 8 chihuahuas going absolutely bug gently caress crazy in here

Inside the yard

God drat it.

Good thing I was just starting on it too

Last head bolt rounded off

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So what you're saying is, you went down to the wrecking yard, saw some real dogs, and got head

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God loving drat it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hey check out that flyer...donate your car.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

14 BAR RIFF posted:

God loving drat it.

I thought you had an iPhone now?

Also, sounds like what you're saying is I need to come to Seattle and buy my next beater and drive it home to New England. Why don't your cars rust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

beep-beep car is go posted:

I thought you had an iPhone now?

Also, sounds like what you're saying is I need to come to Seattle and buy my next beater and drive it home to New England. Why don't your cars rust?

Yep it's my missing/assumed stolen Galaxy from the night I left that took until last night for someone to pull the chair out from the dining room table to sit down and find it sitting face up on the cushion. Before anyone judges me too hard, it went the entire time I was gone without a single other person in this house noticing either

• Locked thread