Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

MortLansky posted:

I would say first gens definitely have depreciated. I've seen fairly nice 05-06's dip into the mid-high 20k range which was pretty much exclusively Cayman territory a year or two ago. Probably because it shares the IMS problems with the 996 cars.

Yeah, I'm looking at Targas and it's basically "you can pay $30-35k for a 997.1 and possibly have a 15k repair bill for IMS and/or bore scoring or you can just pay the full $50k up front and not worry about them."

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...&modelCode1=911

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Porsche-911-Targa-4S-/112264595467?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a237dc80b:g:9uYAAOSwA3dYdRLK&item=112264595467

The most car I'd ever want to own and I could die happy, but $300s to $500s in payments - I should go breathe into a paper bag or something.

blk fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What's a reasonable price for a super low mileage 996 4S?: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5958930720.html
low 30s? high 20s? With other cars, low mileage would strictly be a plus, but here, where's no telling what shape the M96 is in, right?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

What's a reasonable price for a super low mileage 996 4S?: http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5958930720.html
low 30s? high 20s? With other cars, low mileage would strictly be a plus, but here, where's no telling what shape the M96 is in, right?

Most people on rennlist say garage queens are more susceptible to IMS failures but that may be bullshit.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you need a turbo or a 2009 or newer?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

blk posted:

Most people on rennlist say garage queens are more susceptible to IMS failures but that may be bullshit.

I'm not sure about the American market but that seems like a premium price for a car that's benefit most people believe is a negative.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

blk posted:

When I was looking at 996TT's people even recommended against low mileage garage queen versions of those. The community overall seems to agree that the cars all need to be driven somewhat regularly.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Yes.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

you know what to do :getin:

On a related note the weather finally gave me rain to wash the roads and a few days of dryness so I got the 996TT out for the first real driving time and it's great. The clutch is definitely not stock but it's not heavy or grabby so I'm kind of confused on what setup is there. It should have a 2.5 for the power but it's waaaay easier to drive than the stock ones I've tried. The only thing I can think is that it's a 2.5 but the GT2 retrofit is what makes it so usable but until the seller gets around to sending all the receipts I won't know. On the stock map it's terrifyingly fast especially for my manual ability so I can't imagine how it is with 200hp more and I won't until it gets the fat summer tires on this spring but hopefully I'm much better at driving by then.

If you're on the fence about buying one, consider moving on one now since prices are going up pretty steadily now and it's going to be buying season soon.

We ceaned the garage out enough to stuff the fleet in.

We then decided to swap our positions so it ended up being an aesthetically pleasing large to small lineup. 1500hp garage :hellyeah:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Had a line on one but it turned out to be salvage :eng99:

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Jymmybob posted:

you know what to do :getin:

On a related note the weather finally gave me rain to wash the roads and a few days of dryness so I got the 996TT out for the first real driving time and it's great. The clutch is definitely not stock but it's not heavy or grabby so I'm kind of confused on what setup is there. It should have a 2.5 for the power but it's waaaay easier to drive than the stock ones I've tried. The only thing I can think is that it's a 2.5 but the GT2 retrofit is what makes it so usable but until the seller gets around to sending all the receipts I won't know. On the stock map it's terrifyingly fast especially for my manual ability so I can't imagine how it is with 200hp more and I won't until it gets the fat summer tires on this spring but hopefully I'm much better at driving by then.

If you're on the fence about buying one, consider moving on one now since prices are going up pretty steadily now and it's going to be buying season soon.

We ceaned the garage out enough to stuff the fleet in.

We then decided to swap our positions so it ended up being an aesthetically pleasing large to small lineup. 1500hp garage :hellyeah:

Jealous of your 3-car. Drop me an email next time you're going to go out if you want a tagalong. willdocoffee at the gmail. My S4 needs a friend.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh head studs, why couldn't you have been made of better materials 35 years ago?

Rebuilds are fun. :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Some of my earliest vivid memories are of my dad's '74 911 in that exact same position, though for different reasons (incessant ticking/tapping that he never was able to fully eliminate). At least it's an easy engine pull :v:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It appears ARP makes headstuds for that, but they are a bit pricey. Like $650.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
From what I hear the 993 studs work for it as well to good effect. Hard to say what it would take to cure the problem, though, can only wait another 30 years. :shrug:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
911s with the engine out like that always gives me the impression of it making GBS threads its guts out onto the floor which isn't far from the truth when you get to that point.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Porsche Thread: Why? Because engine failure.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

Jealous of your 3-car. Drop me an email next time you're going to go out if you want a tagalong. willdocoffee at the gmail. My S4 needs a friend.

Hopefully by spring/summer I'll be confident enough to take it on roads that might have hill stops but I think I'll be ready. Until thenn it's flat known roads :ohdear:

My confidence is growing quickly though because of how forgiving it's been.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2017

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Jymmybob posted:

911s with the engine out like that always gives me the impression of it making GBS threads its guts out onto the floor which isn't far from the truth when you get to that point.

That's about how I felt when I was done, too. Especially since the clutch helper arm was seized on the fork shaft and did not want to let the engine pull away. Had to cut the helper spring in half and disassemble the mount to get it out. Which I realized only after about half an hour of yanking on the engine.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
drat, 997.1s are getting cheap: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/

At 20.5k and the auction ends tomorrow. I wonder what 100k+ 997 ownership looks like. I have a friend who bought a 996 with 100k+ on it several years ago for 20 grand and is at 196k with no major issues.

I recently decided to try and kill my auto ADD and save the time/energy/money for a 997 Targa, which would be my forever car. The cheapest one I found was 32k but sold 4 hours before I called on it. I haven't seen another good one since. Even though this is not a Targa I'm highly tempted to bid if the cost of entry stays at ~10k less. If the IMS was going to be an issue I'm guessing it would've gone already. I don't need the extra power of the S, although AWD would be nice, as would a big glass sunroof.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blk posted:

drat, 997.1s are getting cheap: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/

At 20.5k and the auction ends tomorrow.

I suspect it'll not hit reserve, even with a rush of activity at the end.

e: also, I looked at all cars on BaT that I've watched since they started auctions, and 50% of them are 911s. Whether or not 911s are a huge portion of listings, I didn't realize I was that anxious for one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There can be deals on 997s to be had, but I am not convinced there is enough of a difference between them and the 996 to make them worthwhile. All things being equal, they still have most the problems that the 996s have other than the hate them or who gives a poo poo feeling of the headlights :getout:

Add onto it the early 996's can be had without traction and stability control, it's the closest to an old school air cooled you're going to get without spending mad cash.

Also, why in the gently caress am I continually looking at Cayenne's in my area even though I'm not in the market? :iiam:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Because they're comedy-levels of cheap?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

slidebite posted:

There can be deals on 997s to be had, but I am not convinced there is enough of a difference between them and the 996 to make them worthwhile. All things being equal, they still have most the problems that the 996s have other than the hate them or who gives a poo poo feeling of the headlights :getout:

Add onto it the early 996's can be had without traction and stability control, it's the closest to an old school air cooled you're going to get without spending mad cash.

Also, why in the gently caress am I continually looking at Cayenne's in my area even though I'm not in the market? :iiam:

The headlights thing is purely subjective but for me they're a big deal, as are some of the other styling cues (the overhangs on 996 appear larger etc, even though they're not, though that can be helped with 18" twists) - otherwise I would get an early 99 and drive the poo poo out of it.

Get an MT V6 Cayenne, they are like a big sports car that shifts like a farm truck.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not going to lie, if I saw a dirt cheap V6 locally to me I'd really, really have to discipline myself not to buy it like a motorcycle or some other toy.

Also, I know I own one but the more I've been reading, seeing photos and researching, drat I like the narrowbody lines.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

e: also, I looked at all cars on BaT that I've watched since they started auctions, and 50% of them are 911s. Whether or not 911s are a huge portion of listings, I didn't realize I was that anxious for one.

Whoever's selling the Biturbo chose the right week. Are you going to bid on the 997 that's up right now?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blk posted:

Whoever's selling the Biturbo chose the right week. Are you going to bid on the 997 that's up right now?

Nah; I can't extend my fiscal responsibility to doing anything before 348 sells.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

blk posted:

The headlights thing is purely subjective but for me they're a big deal, as are some of the other styling cues (the overhangs on 996 appear larger etc, even though they're not, though that can be helped with 18" twists) - otherwise I would get an early 99 and drive the poo poo out of it.

Get an MT V6 Cayenne, they are like a big sports car that shifts like a farm truck.

Have you considered ones with the facelifted 02+ headlights? They fix a lot of the problems with the fried egg lights although they don't do much for the other stuff. The interior is definitely better in the 997s and at one point was the reason I was originally going the 997 C2S route but after spending more time in both, the 996 isn't bad at all other than some of the period 'rounded everything' design. The 997 over-corrects into hard edges and has that terrible fake metal trim everywhere which to me is worse than just leaving it plastic. A full leather 996 interior is still a really nice place to be and most of the parts that matter are either the same or can be retrofit from 997s anyhow.

slidebite posted:

Also, I know I own one but the more I've been reading, seeing photos and researching, drat I like the narrowbody lines.

I tried but just couldn't fall in love with the narrowbody after I saw it called a bar of soap once and couldn't unsee it from side angles. I really love the oversized flares and scoops on the TT because it breaks up the slab side look some and it looks ridiculous from some angles when you can see the narrow front tires juxtaposed with the flared back and megawide rear tires. It's even nuttier on GT2s with the even wider rear tires, just look at this thing

kimbo305 posted:

:getin:

I haven't even been able to drive mine that much, my wife steals it first and embarrassingly is better at manual from growing up around them. Even my 5yo daughter makes fun of me when I drive it now.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I am going to buy a tiptronic or PDK so I can spill coffee all over the thing while I drive it in snow. I have my eyes on a 2000 that some poor soul has been trying to sell for 6 months on craigslist. The worst 911 will be mine yes it will.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Well, that 997 sold at 28: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/
Seems like a reasonable price.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

willie_dee posted:

I am thinking of trading my 2007 Z4M for a 981 Boxster S at some point next year.

Options wise, anyone got any advice? Some must haves etc.

PASM has been great. I haven't had a chance to try cars with and without torque vectoring - but certainly enjoying it on mine.

I don't know if it's blasphemy to say this - but driving my 981 as a daily driver and in CA, the adaptive cruise control is very reliable and makes driving in congestion a lot more stressfree.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

slidebite posted:

There can be deals on 997s to be had, but I am not convinced there is enough of a difference between them and the 996 to make them worthwhile.

Maybe not aesthetically outside but the interior alone is worth the difference, the 997 interior is dated but the 996 is comically so.

guidoanselmi posted:

PASM has been great. I haven't had a chance to try cars with and without torque vectoring - but certainly enjoying it on mine.

I don't know if it's blasphemy to say this - but driving my 981 as a daily driver and in CA, the adaptive cruise control is very reliable and makes driving in congestion a lot more stressfree.

How do you use PASM and what are the roads like in CA? Over here in the UK I am hearing lots of people say they have specced PASM, but never take it off soft because hard is too hard for UK roads and used pretty much exclusively on track.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Here's a neat 996 on BaT. It's been on ebay a couple times when I was looking but never hit reserve, usually stalling around 20k. I think it's probably worth 22-23k because there's so many good cars around that price.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-996-2/

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Help. I bought a 2010 987 and the lug bolts look like rear end. I want to replace them, but I'm not sure what the shank thing is...I know they are 14x1.5 but what shank should I get, and also, are they 'acorn'?

Also, I am too stupid to own a car, frankly.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B02GtnIORGEjJTs (they all look like this, ffs)

Ps: I got it this weekend after THREE years of negotiations with state farm about my old 986 wreck, some of you may remember. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjZP6AJY

blk
Dec 19, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Well, that 997 sold at 28: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-porsche-911-carrera/
Seems like a reasonable price.

Versus 32k for my dream porsche with 2/3rds the mileage. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck I wish I had moved faster on that.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

willie_dee posted:

Maybe not aesthetically outside but the interior alone is worth the difference, the 997 interior is dated but the 996 is comically so.

How do you use PASM and what are the roads like in CA? Over here in the UK I am hearing lots of people say they have specced PASM, but never take it off soft because hard is too hard for UK roads and used pretty much exclusively on track.

Freeways are great in LA, though to really notice the difference the 110 between Pasadena & LA and the Angeles Crest Freeway are the places to go.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

guidoanselmi posted:

Freeways are great in LA, though to really notice the difference the 110 between Pasadena & LA and the Angeles Crest Freeway are the places to go.

And you put them on hard mode on the better roads?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5972061869.html

2004 boxster s with a warranty engine replacement in 2013. 37k miles $18K.

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

willie_dee posted:

As someone who used to have a 997.1 with PASM and now has a 997.2 with Sport PASM: there might be a road smooth enough somewhere for hard mode to be good, but I haven't driven on it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

willie_dee posted:

Pretty much relegated to those two roads given the quality & frequent curves and, give or take, you can push the handling safely. I'm really lucky that I live between them. There's other CA state routes that are just as good, like those that enter into or run through national parks - but road quality may vary and national park traffic can be pretty bad (Yosemite can be bumper-to-bumper easily). Essentially roads that see winter conditions but are low traffic are well maintained are perfect in CA.

Angeles Crest frequently makes top road lists and is probably the best drive in LA: http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-la-drives-angeles-crest-20160725-snap-story.html

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to take my 981 to Big Sur yet, but that's a trip I'm really looking forward to.

e: some nice shots of ACH here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pY5D-X7uMU

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I turn on sport mode, including PASM, when I start the car and hardly ever turn it off.