Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

And said something pretty stupid without knowing his audience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I've crunched the numbers and the venn diagram for alright people vs people with Michelle Boag as a spokesperson has no overlap I'm afraid.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

interesting tbh

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

First thing he will do is a private members bill to openly arm all beat cops.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That'd be choosing a lovely candidate to appeal to a lovely electorate. Does the means justify the ends if the ends is getting rid of Peter Dunne?

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 8, 2017

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Every Fairfax and ME """""""""""""""journalist"""""""""""""" still breathing just cracked their knuckles and typed "Peter Done?!?!".

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

bike tory posted:

That'd be choosing a lovely candidate to appeal to a lovely electorate. Does the means justify the ends if the ends is getting rid of Peter Dunne?

it's not as if no other candidate has ever run in Ohariu, do you think he'd have a substantially better chance?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Gotta be the first time in history Greg O'Connor has not been available for comment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The Schwa posted:

it's not as if no other candidate has ever run in Ohariu, do you think he'd have a substantially better chance?

Yeah Ohariu is dominated by white middle class common-sense-politics types, I think an ex-cop would go down particularly well there. Most other places the demographics would make it a National electorate but it's filled with middle management civil servants and bureaucrats so it's more people who consider themselves "centrist" as an ideology

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 8, 2017

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
i'd rather o'connor stood for labour rather than, say, new zealand first

https://twitter.com/bryce_edwards/status/818207894835314688
owned b*tch

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
did he just editorialise his own stroke

quote:

A little over a week ago I woke up to discover my left brain has had enough and packed it in. Typical soft wet leftie brain… can’t last the distance.

As a result, the right side of my face has been paralysed. Oh the irony.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
it is a tragic situation and we should all b

Cam Slater on car crashes and ferals posted:

“It’s a tragic situation but where is it written in the rule books that you have to take into account people’s feelings?” the blogger said.

oh right

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's been on its last legs for a while.

quote:

For example, a person who is "left-brained" is often said to be more logical, analytical, and objective.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

did he just editorialise his own stroke

Looks like a Bell's palsy. That happened to me once, I had to get around with half my face all looking like it was missing a chromosome for like nine months. It was poo poo. Cameron Slater is also poo poo though, so it evens out. :)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Oh yeah – in actually important news, English is Māori-bashing

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/88223249/PM-Bill-English-defends-Waitangi-Day-no-show-says-Kiwis-cringe-at-protests

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Refusing to attend unless you're able to mouth your opinions in a place and time they aren't welcome is disrespectful of New Zealand and New Zealanders. Give the Māori their one day, you have the entire rest of the year you child.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Old white guy and leader of our nation says protests at Waitangi no longer relevant.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Who voted this guy in anyway.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Say what you will about Key, I think a big part of his legacy will be walking National way back from it's Don Brash era Maori bashing.

Of course another big part of his legacy will be making GBS threads on Maori through policy and institutional/economic reform...

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

quote:

Prime Minister Bill English will not attend Waitangi events at Te Tii Marae - saying it isn't acceptable to him that he can attend but not speak.

English's absence has been criticised as disappointing and unreasonable by Pita Paraone, a member of the Waitangi Day organising committee.

Paraone, also a New Zealand First MP, told the Herald that, as he understood it, English and others would have had full speaking rights in a forum after the powhiri.

The Prime Minister would have been permitted to speak during the powhiri, but not address certain political issues.

What the gently caress is this bullshit?

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, you cant claim "he will be able to speak" and then say "except about anything we don't want him too" while everyone else has free reign.

Doesn't mater your point of view that's bullshit.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Where does it say anyone else can say what they want? Only thing it says is they don't want controversial topics mentioned during a part of the ceremony.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Varkk posted:

Where does it say anyone else can say what they want? Only thing it says is they don't want controversial topics mentioned during a part of the ceremony.

Oh yes, sorry my bad, misread that.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've seen a bunch of people saying "will Helen Clark didn't go, how can the left criticise Bill English for not going?" as if they're the same thing

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

It's almost as if all the 'cringe'' that Waitangi day induces in the white population of NZ is entirely based on how abysmally Waitangi day is reported on, and not actually to do with the generally positive happenings at Waitangi every year.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm moving on the 4th and will be at Waitangi for the first time ever on the day, will be interesting to see how it compares to TV.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I generally don't want our PM to speak at Waitangi day, but that's mostly because it's been a monotonous ramble of platitudes ever since Key got in (The speeches, that is). Probably longer, but I don't remember Helen's speeches.

Apparently she cried on one, but I only know about that from a parody of an Eminem song.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
This is a new one on me

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I generally don't want our PM to speak at Waitangi day, but that's mostly because it's been a monotonous ramble of platitudes ever since Key got in (The speeches, that is). Probably longer, but I don't remember Helen's speeches.

Apparently she cried on one, but I only know about that from a parody of an Eminem song.

he didn't even go last year

Besides the speeches (which I didn't catch), I enjoyed being there, there's performances and markets and stuff and the waka coming in

vv we were there pretty much all day last year and I don't even think I saw any. Granted we were performing and stuff some of the time but it's definitely not overrun.

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 11, 2017

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've heard the protests aren't even a big deal? Like there are a group of protesters off to one side and they don't interfere much and kinda just stand there

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Kinda preferred it when they were throwing cowpats, to be honest.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

The Schwa posted:

Besides the speeches (which I didn't catch), I enjoyed being there, there's performances and markets and stuff and the waka coming in
I am absolutely not surprised by the fact I had zero idea about this.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

klen dool posted:

This is a new one on me

Do you go to Vic? Someone wrote that out about a hundred times on the fence of the road leading up to Victoria from Aro Street. The amount of time and effort they'd clearly put into doing this stupid and pointless thing was actually kind of impressive.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

The Sin of Onan posted:

Do you go to Vic? Someone wrote that out about a hundred times on the fence of the road leading up to Victoria from Aro Street. The amount of time and effort they'd clearly put into doing this stupid and pointless thing was actually kind of impressive.

No, I work down the end of the terrace surrounded by suits which makes me feel really out of place. This was on the Bowen st stairs

Edit: I mean mason's lane

klen dool fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 12, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

klen dool posted:

Edit: I mean mason 's lane

:tinfoil:

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Even more impressive, given that it's the same handwriting. Someone really wants us to know that Israel did 9/11.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Anyone know if those sleepdrops things that I've heard advertised are any good? Have the occasional day where I fall asleep for a half hour nana nap and then end up awake and alert until 4.30am which is real frustrating.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

I used to work in sleep research, and I don't know what drops you're talking about but I'd wager 'probably not'

If it's melatonin, I think people sometimes get results but the scientists I worked with were always very cagey about the 'just throw hormones at it' approach.

how's your basic sleep hygiene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Reasonable apparently. I don't drink coffee or smoke, usually I have this problem during the holidays on days where I stay home and don't do very much. I think the heat has a lot to do with it as well.

• Locked thread