Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What does everyone use for drill bits that won't fit in a pin vise?

I have to drill some holes for some 1/8" and 1/4" magnets and the bits don't fit.

My dremel is one of the two-speed ones, and the slowest is 15,000 rpm which is a bit of overkill. Then my cordless drill is a bit uneven for miniatures work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For big projects I use my electric drill, but most of the time this is overkill and I just use my hands. Those big bits don't need a vice.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
This is a bit holder for an electric drill, with a couple of those collar thingys from the bits section of the hardware store.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Does anyone have one of the Tamiya Hobby Drills? https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-74041-Electric-Handy-Drill/dp/B000J46WZ4

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Floppychop posted:

What does everyone use for drill bits that won't fit in a pin vise?

I have to drill some holes for some 1/8" and 1/4" magnets and the bits don't fit.

My dremel is one of the two-speed ones, and the slowest is 15,000 rpm which is a bit of overkill. Then my cordless drill is a bit uneven for miniatures work.

A bigger pin vise

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPX75U/

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

HardCoil posted:

Thanks. I found these, which may be a good compromise: http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/sanding-files-coarse-20mm/a-1853/
Going to order some and see how they compare.

The squadron ones seem as expensive as flex-i-file.

Are they not just fine texture emery boards?

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Quality-Assorted-Michelle-Texture/dp/B000NBNZXK

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
friends, does Agrellan Earth pair well with Realistic Water? Or does it look like poo poo?

Was gonna do something like a wood glue + dark brown base, thick coat of AE on top of that and then maybe 50% of the base covered with Realistic Water where the cracking is less

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
You mean like this?

This was EnvirotexLite and it worked fine. Just apply the Agrellan Earth in a thinner coat as you get closer to your water such that the cracks are smaller and thinner, as this will look more realistic.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
exactly, thanks for the picture aid

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

They're super flexible, while the nail boards aren't.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

You have to actually assemble the drill.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Slimnoid posted:

You have to actually assemble the drill.

I know it's like a Gundam kit :3:

I'm curious about how well it operates. I'd like to pin and maybe magnetize some things some day.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

mango sentinel posted:

and maybe magnetize some things some day.

Be careful... Magnetizing things is like eating chips. Eventually you'll be magnetizing all the things.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

I'm curious about how well it operates. I'd like to pin and maybe magnetize some things some day.

Tamiya's way more consistent in quality than testor; I've seen nothing but good words about that drill.

The only possible warning I can think of is that Tamiya is primarily a model kit (both vehicle and gundam) focus company, so it's probably tested on flat plastics and styrene. I doubt it will fail to help you magnetize plastic stuff, but you may encounter trouble if you work with pewter a lot.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
1. Speaking of pinning how the gently caress do you do it

2. Does a static grass applicator actually work? Should I get one?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Phi230 posted:

1. Speaking of pinning how the gently caress do you do it

2. Does a static grass applicator actually work? Should I get one?

1. Find the point that you want two pieces to connect--let's say an arm going to a shoulder. Drill a hole through the shoulder--the depth and size will depend on the size of the pieces, but the thickness of a paper clip (3/64") is common. Check that the two pieces will still line up with a hole there, then drill a hole in the arm. Dry-fit with brass rod or paper clip; sometimes you'll have to drill a little further or clip the rod down more if you want the pieces to be flush. Superglue the rod in the shoulder, then add a dab of superglue to the other end of the rod and slide the arm on. Depending on the type of superglue you have you'll have anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to adjust the two joined pieces if need be. Once satisfied, set it aside until dry, and fill in any gaps with GS.

2. If you're mostly focusing on individual models it's not strictly necessary, but if you're doing large terrain pieces it's a quality of life improvement. It's also helpful if you're a stickler for static grass that stands up straight. If you want one and you're the DIY sort, you can make your own on the cheap.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
You guys tend to be encyclopedic when it comes to this stuff.
Can any of you tell me what this guy is?

It's a GW mini, but I can't identify it.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I'm pretty sure that is not a GW mini. Maybe VOID?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I have some more new pictures of old models if no-one minds me sharing.

1:35 Tamiya Sherman - This was the first ever model I used an airbrush on. Must be about 6 years old now.

1:35 Dragon Tiger - I always liked the rear deck

EDIT:

And this one:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I've tried to tint things by doing a layer of ink over them, but it was too strong. Watering the ink down just made it run everywhere. Is there something I can do to achieve a softer tint?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

wdarkk posted:

I've tried to tint things by doing a layer of ink over them, but it was too strong. Watering the ink down just made it run everywhere. Is there something I can do to achieve a softer tint?

Airbrush? Alternatively you can tint the paint before you use it.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Use glaze medium rather than water to thin it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Also, get most of the paint off your brush before applying it to the mini so there's not enough to run.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I just bought my first miniatures ever, the Start Collecting Nurgle box for AoS. Does anyone have any color schemes/paint recommendations? I'm starting from square one; so no tools, brushes, or paints yet.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lungboy posted:

Oh right,.doesn't sound marvellous. I'll have a read.

E: bit of a mixed bag of reviews. I'll probably get a box of the smallest to have a look.

I would say try Secret Weapon miniatures: http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79_30_41&products_id=156&zenid=67c6d463d23db513e053f73a3ec85007

Not as cheap as the GW stuff, but I have a ton of their products and no regrets.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Injuryprone posted:

I just bought my first miniatures ever, the Start Collecting Nurgle box for AoS. Does anyone have any color schemes/paint recommendations? I'm starting from square one; so no tools, brushes, or paints yet.

I think WarhammerTV did a video on painting nurgle flesh, if you're after the green look.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Cross posting from the 40K thread.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I actually have these, and kind of hate them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

big_g posted:

'
1:35 Dragon Tiger - I always liked the rear deck

'

That's a Panther, my man. And a real good looking one.

I love those spent shell casings that look like they were tossed out the turret hatch. Did they come with the kit or did you make them?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Geisladisk posted:

That's a Panther, my man. And a real good looking one.

I love those spent shell casings that look like they were tossed out the turret hatch. Did they come with the kit or did you make them?

Yeh I know! Must have been tired last night to make that error.

The shell casings are a bought after market brass add on. Can't remember where exactly I got them from but probably hannants or the like.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It would be cool to use spent .22 casings as model tank shells

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Manifest posted:

You guys tend to be encyclopedic when it comes to this stuff.
Can any of you tell me what this guy is?

It's a GW mini, but I can't identify it.

It's certainly not from the last 2 decades. It's got (c) GW on the bottom? Any year?

Injuryprone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdbyZJlbPKk
That's the GW method, but honestly I'd recommend: Find a green that you like, nice and putrid. Paint the whole skin with that colour. Give the whole thing a wash with agrax earthshade - this will deepen the colour, and bring out the detail. Then use a finer brush to bring out the details - generally the raised details, and use a brighter colour. If in doubt, a GW employee should be able to help you find a complementary nurgle higlight.

For details, you probably want a nice red, a yellow, and a bone (pick colours you like). For the metal, it depends what kind of effect you want- a leadbelcher if you just want normal metal, or can experiment with bronze, verdigris effects, whatever. To do the black like the do, paint it 50% black,50% grey, wash with agrax or nuln oil, and highlight with the same grey, such as mechanius standard grey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2o8_naJSW8 Here's one video that you could look at, but to begin with, I recommend keep it simple for all colours:

Base layer - high density pigment paint (GW Base paint), try and get it everywhere, go from the 'inside' details first, so you can fix with the outside (for example, the gut inside before the flesh.
Wash/shade - 'skill in a bottle' will darker your base, and bring out the details of the mode. Try and get the recesses, and not much on the raised details
Highlight - use a smaller brush, and try and pick out the details, often along the lines of the model. Try applying it with the side of the brush, see if you prefer that

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 13, 2017

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

big_g posted:

Everything here is super dope

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

big_g posted:

I'm loving all of these.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Lotta good info in this post. I'd like to get close to this yellowish green, if possible.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I have extraneous metal between a miniature's feet should I paint it black like I'm going to leave the edges of the base, or sandy brown like the top of the base is going to end up?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'd try my best to hide that it's there. Whenever that happens with me, if I haven't already cut down the tab to fit, I'll put a lot of sand, grass, or a rock in the way.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

big_g posted:

Great models and great photos!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Finished up McTavish himself. Might do a bit more weathering on him, but the main thing left is to make the base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So a few pages back someone asked about paint/hobby transporting. I take care of my grandmother a lot and am constantly moving my hobby shuff from my house to hers. After looking at what's out there and not finding anything that was what I was really looking for I decided to take the opportunity to use my new scroll saw to make project out of it. I made lots of mistakes and learned a lot but ultimatly like the final product.

Lots of room for my growing vallejo paint collection. It's very "DIY" looking, once I use it some I will like modify it some more and paint/stain it and clean it up.