Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
IMO every language is a cobbled together mess just under the surface and there are always tons of picaninny poo poo rules you have to memorize.

Most off putting thing about Mandarin to me was the endless procession of count nouns. Just stop it with that poo poo.

Second was probably that it's a really unpleasant sounding language. I know English ain't no rose in this regard either but Manadarin is real loving rough. Sh, Zh and R, normal voice is often a shout, falling tone makes them sound angry sometimes when they aren't when I'm not paying attention, etc.

raton fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Sheep-Goats posted:

IMO every language is a cobbled together mess just under the surface and there are always tons of picaninny poo poo rules you have to memorize.

Yeah, p much this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

Most off putting thing about Mandarin to me was the endless procession of count nouns. Just stop it with that poo poo.

Second was probably that it's a really unpleasant sounding language. I know English ain't no rose in this regard either but Manadarin is real loving rough. Sh, Zh and R, normal voice is often a shout, falling tone makes them sound angry sometimes when they aren't when I'm not paying attention, etc.

This is why the Taiwanese accent rocks. All those Rs and retroflexes go out the window and the tones are flattened considerably. It can make it impossible to tell the difference between 14 and 40 though.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Languages were invented by hillbillies and progressed by other hillbillies.
The angriest English for me is Hawaiian Pidgin. The tones used in it (borrowed from a multitude of Asian and Pacific Islander origins) make every single sentence sound like a combination of condescending sarcasm, anger, and annoyance. Despite growing up around it, I always thought people were pissed off all time (and many were).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaolMcl8v0I

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It seems some people aren't aware of North-Germanic Supremacy when it comes to grammar rules making sense.

:iceland: :denmark: :sweden: :norway:

Though if you want a language that makes perfect internal sense, there's always Esperanto! :laugh:

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Haier posted:

It's not that big of a deal, and I know women have to deal with hairy (non-Asian) dudes all the time, so there's not much room to complain... but at the same time when someone is basically hairless all over but then had a patch of nip fuzz, it's really off-putting. Especially when they are 2+inches long and there's like 20 of them flossing your teeth. They were in and around the areola and she had zero shame about them, as I think she thought all women have hair like that there too and her previous Chinese boyfriends said nothing about it. These were definitely growing for years.

In my experience in China, the bush is more like a forest, and many women tell me that they think it's gross and weird to trim or shave it (and I've had a few tell me that their previous BFs agree). As someone who thinks going down is part of the evening, getting tickled and/or pulling out a stray hairs sucks. I don't care about shaving, but I have had some previous lovers allow me to use my hair buzzer on a medium setting and hack away at the overgrowth. My previous FWB was from Mongolia and her forest was ridiculously long and somehow my floor would be littered with the hairs every time she stayed over. I would sweep and there would be a pile of pubes, as if I had a pet that shed a lot. She eventually let me use the buzzer and I regularly did touch ups because it grew at a rate that shocked me.

Thanks for answering my weird and gross question. :downs:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

JaucheCharly posted:

Bumblefuck or Brrbllrfmgh. Clearly a german word.

Nah. Looks Welsh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is why the Taiwanese accent rocks. All those Rs and retroflexes go out the window and the tones are flattened considerably. It can make it impossible to tell the difference between 14 and 40 though.

Agree

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/YPb74XY.gifv

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Did anyone have to do a big writing project on a scientist or explorer or something in primary school, where you had to get a bunch of books, rough copy, good copy, bibliography, all that stuff? For me (Ontario, Canada) it was Grade 5. I still remember having a big anchor chart on the wall showing how to do a bibliography.

My current school wants me to teach writing (and also to blow through like 10 text types a month with the classes I only have once a week and range from truly 0 English to native speaker, but that's another story), starting with Explanation. An Explanation is like an information report except you explain how or why something (usually scientific) happens. So an information report on the Sun would be all about how big it is, how hot it is etc. but an Explanation might be about how it creates energy in the first place. So, since it's something you have to do research on, I made a writing workbook and submitted it to the grade co-ordinator for tacit approval. The GC raised a question that has been raised at every Chinese school I've worked at: why are you teaching them to source their work?

At the last Chinese school I taught at, I ran into the same argument. The teaching method is pretty much "read the books then copy what you read into a report". Then they would complain that students were just copying directly (we never taught them how to paraphrase, of course). When it was my turn to take over the writing curriculum, I ran into very strong opposition to include sections that would teach the kids how to research and how to cite sources in a simple way (author, title, year). Apparently it was something nobody had to do until university.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

I don't know why this annoys me as much as it does, but by god does it annoy me. All the other grammar tricks are mundane bullshit but the number of count nouns is like somebody bolting rims onto a forklift.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Barudak posted:

I don't know why this annoys me as much as it does, but by god does it annoy me. All the other grammar tricks are mundane bullshit but the number of count nouns is like somebody bolting rims onto a forklift.

I wonder if they'll disappear like they are doing in English. "Can I have a glass of water?" is more "proper" but "Can I have a water?" is understandable.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Is this a word you can use to mean small and pointless? I guess that's what you mean, unless there is a type of rule used by black children in 1950's Louisiana.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Barudak posted:

The one that I have stuck in my head because it trips me up so much is how the count for fish is 条 instead of 只 like every other drat animal because 条 is for stick-like objects and fish are appropriately sticky to be in that category. :downs:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

yaffle posted:

Is this a word you can use to mean small and pointless? I guess that's what you mean, unless there is a type of rule used by black children in 1950's Louisiana.

Pernickety

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

yaffle posted:

Small, petty and scattered yeah. Never heard it used in a racist context but I guess it is? Whatever.

Usual phrase growing up was "picaninny bullshit" which had no further connotations.

E: Apparently this word may have been used this way 500 years ago but now mostly refers to children of slaves, not the usage I'm used to: http://www.leadershiponline.co.za/articles/final-word-on-pickaninny-7643.html

raton fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 13, 2017

He Who Smelt It
Jun 14, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

Wuhanese kinda deals with this, simplifying things somewhat Sh → S,
Zh → Z and R → L.
On the other hand, people still shout a lot there, and even other Chinese people think they sound like angry goblins.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Small, petty and scattered yeah. Never heard it used in a racist context but I guess it is? Whatever.

Usual phrase growing up was "picaninny bullshit" which had no further connotations.

E: Apparently this word may have been used this way 500 years ago but now mostly refers to children of slaves, not the usage I'm used to: http://www.leadershiponline.co.za/articles/final-word-on-pickaninny-7643.html

One runs into this problem when you pull your vocabulary from things you read. I'm lucky ten year old me never tried to drop words I heard in Kipling. Oh well, many a mickle makes a muckle I suppose.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

this needs eurobeat mixed in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCiDuy4mrWU&t=25s

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Barudak posted:

would you like one dumpling, or would you like one set of dumplings
or one plate

sorry did you just order three dumplings or nine?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

nickmeister posted:

How's that?

I haven't ignored your point. I agree that on a basic level, English and Chinese grammar seem similar. As for "Chinese having no grammar," I have been told this by many Chinese people. But they were all mainland Chinese and I've only heard that once so far in Taiwan, so maybe it's just not a view that Taiwanese tend to have?

I'm Taiwanese American and I will tell you that Chinese has no grammar and is ez.

tbh we say this mostly to make fun of you.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

LentThem posted:

would you like one dumpling, or would you like one set of dumplings
or one plate

sorry did you just order three dumplings or nine?

9 plates of dumplings

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA&t=63s

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Nothing makes me sadder than going for a jog around the little pond in my condomunity and seeing grandma smoking into the stroller while feeding the infant a bottle of water. Please, don't do any of that. I do not understand the pan-Asian obsession with feeding infants water (I've seen this in multiple countries and parents of multiple nationalities engage in this behavior).

I was on a plane with my boy who was about 6 months old at the time and he was as big or bigger than a kid that was 1 year old and any time the kid got fussy on the flight the nanny stuck a bottle of water in his mouth. Infants don't need water. They need milk. They don't need cigarette smoke either! Christ. As an aside, the mom of that kid was up in first class and would on occasion take the boy up to her, but then he'd cry and it was right back off to nanny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You feed them lots of water as a baby and then nobody ever has to drink water again the rest of their lives. Their pee is a lovely golden brown, gold very fortunate color you know?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Nothing makes me sadder than going for a jog around the little pond in my condomunity and seeing grandma smoking into the stroller while feeding the infant a bottle of water. Please, don't do any of that. I do not understand the pan-Asian obsession with feeding infants water (I've seen this in multiple countries and parents of multiple nationalities engage in this behavior).

I was on a plane with my boy who was about 6 months old at the time and he was as big or bigger than a kid that was 1 year old and any time the kid got fussy on the flight the nanny stuck a bottle of water in his mouth. Infants don't need water. They need milk. They don't need cigarette smoke either! Christ. As an aside, the mom of that kid was up in first class and would on occasion take the boy up to her, but then he'd cry and it was right back off to nanny.

a 1 year old should be on regular food and water as well as milk. no meat though

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
"Children don't need water" -a gbs chinathread poster.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I have heard people defend every other Chinese accent or dialect under the sun, saying they're prettier than Beijing standard Mandarin, but I've never heard someone defend the Beijing accent. Probably it doesn't need to be defended, as long as that's what people are learning when they take college Chinese classes.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

pants in my pants posted:

"Children don't need water" -a gbs chinathread poster.

But hot water good for healthy!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Infants don't need water. Christ, the reading comprehension out of you guys. The point I was making was that this kid was only getting water and likely had only been getting water for most of his one year. Not once did he eat food or drink milk. And usually what I see are tiny little infants, days, weeks, or months old getting a steady stream of water instead of milk.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And my mistake, my kid would have been three months and that kid six. So sorry if that caused confusion.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Infants don't need water. Christ, the reading comprehension out of you guys. The point I was making was that this kid was only getting water and likely had only been getting water for most of his one year. Not once did he eat food or drink milk. And usually what I see are tiny little infants, days, weeks, or months old getting a steady stream of water instead of milk.

Chinese children will not drink milk out of a bottle unless the nipple has inch long hairs jutting out all around it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Sheep-Goats posted:

Chinese children will not drink milk out of a bottle unless the nipple has inch long hairs jutting out all around it.

Me getting indignant was worth it for this post.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
"Hey I was on a plane once and the inscrutable chinaman's child was small and inferior to my supreme white baby." -a gbs chinathread poster

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My kid ain't white.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

My kid ain't white.

He's a little bit white c'mon

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

pants in my pants posted:

"Hey I was on a plane once and the inscrutable chinaman's child was small and inferior to my supreme white baby." -a gbs chinathread poster

"Your baby so FAT and WHITE!!"
-A Chinese Person

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I was with a korean girl who had nipple hair, too. Not like a downy pelt like haier's dumpling, but a few long black hairs.
I just ate around them.

All languages with even a SMIDGEN of chinese also have counting nouns, which is insane. korean, thai, (iircc) japanese, etc.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Atlas Hugged posted:

My kid ain't white.

Angmoh duaki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007