Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hammond's tiled interior and compressed air delivery system have me in stitches every time I watch that segment.

That, James's ludicrously slow back door, and Jeremy's gigantic head caught between the hatch of his Porsche and a surprisingly realistic training dong saying "trust in me, trust in meeeeeee" are the defining moments.

E: If you're interested, the trio recently did an official Xbox stream of Forza Horizon 3:
https://youtu.be/so9zlCrQruY

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blunt posted:

This. Even if they're not allowed to do "buy a car for £500 and do x" because (people have speculated that) it's a BBC owned format/idea, surely they could do "Mr Willman has provided us with these three cars, we have to do x", where the cars just happen to be cheap pieces of poo poo.
That annoys me if it's the reason, because it's not true. Other people were doing it long before Top Gear was resurrected.

As with the Fine Brothers nonsense over "react" videos, that kind of stuff needs to be roundly mocked, and then promptly ignored as you do whatever it is you wanted to do anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, if that's true, they really need to tell the BBC to gently caress off in a creative way.

Maybe say they were challlenged to buy a book for $3000, and each book happened to come with a free mid 60s shitbox.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I think it's a combination of this first season being rushed out the gate and them being extra careful about legal stuff because they're not entirely sure how the BBC will respond to things.

That said, it started out fine, and has been improving every episode, and the special was good and solid, if not in the top tier of the better old top gear specials. I'm still eager to watch every week and very interested to see what they do next season.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hopterque posted:

That said, it started out fine, and has been improving every episode, and the special was good and solid, if not in the top tier of the better old top gear specials. I'm still eager to watch every week and very interested to see what they do next season.

Agreed. This isn't bad television by a long, long shot. I enjoy every episode, even the stupid things.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Jeremy looks so ashamed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFKdSOSrexo

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Monkey bike reassembler was glorious.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I loved his torque wrench, it's up there with "a knob of butter about the size of a piece of cheese" vs "a piece of cheese about the size of a knob of butter".

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
James May is indeed one smooth dude

(from the 'classic' (pre 1982) car challenge)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The reason the photo's taken through a chainlink fence is it was the only way to keep the women away from him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

hello

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I watched OZ and james's wine thing and their Britain drinking thing and the key is alcohol, you've got to get him drunk.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I just hate The American so much. All I want is for him to put on a stig helmet and never open his poo poo mouth again.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, the American and Celebrity Brain Crash(?) are the same joke over and over again, and it wasn't funny the first time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

davebo posted:

I just hate The American so much. All I want is for him to put on a stig helmet and never open his poo poo mouth again.

I just want him to stop trying to play the hillbilly character complete with poorly faked accent, and just be himself. The dude's Californian, for chrissakes. It would be interesting to get (something resembling) an actual NASCAR driver's opinion on a bunch of cars, rather than a bunch of unfunny, over-written quips.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

captainOrbital posted:

Yeah, the American and Celebrity Brain Crash(?) are the same joke over and over again, and it wasn't funny the first time.

I don't mind Celebrity Brain Crash so much. It's a segue into cocking about and fairly short.

I also love the stupid changing intro to conversation street.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

KozmoNaut posted:

I loved his torque wrench, it's up there with "a knob of butter about the size of a piece of cheese" vs "a piece of cheese about the size of a knob of butter".

But is it a bolt or a screw?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

But is it a bolt or a screw?

A bolt is secured into a hole with precut threads. A screw will cut it's own threads, and possibly its own hole as well.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HERAK posted:

A bolt is secured into a hole with precut threads. A screw will cut it's own threads, and possibly its own hole as well.

Nu-uh. In mechanic courses (and maybe in mech.eng. as well?) they teach that a screw is something that screws into precut threads in the work piece but a bolt is something screws into a nut and holds two pieces together. The name is probably related to a door bolt, which slides through some holes to bind two things together. And

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Short generic answer is if it has threads all the way to the head, it's a screw. Bolts have a plain shank or waisted area.

If you stick with that, you won't go far wrong.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Ola posted:

Nu-uh. In mechanic courses (and maybe in mech.eng. as well?) they teach that a screw is something that screws into precut threads in the work piece but a bolt is something screws into a nut and holds two pieces together. The name is probably related to a door bolt, which slides through some holes to bind two things together. And

Wood screws?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

HERAK posted:

Wood screws?

A screw is something that screws directly into material, then.

The distinction I've always used is that a screw has an internal drive, a bolt has an external drive that takes a socket. Doesn't hold up 100% though, because of lag screws/bolts.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 13, 2017

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

InitialDave posted:

Short generic answer is if it has threads all the way to the head, it's a screw. Bolts have a plain shank or waisted area.

That's called a shoulder, and not all bolts have a shoulder.

Everyone is incorrect, the difference between a bolt and a screw is that a bolt has the same diameter for the entire shank, but a screw tapers to a point. And I say this as someone who used to have to sort and count both screws and bolts at both my current and some former jobs.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

Everyone is incorrect, the difference between a bolt and a screw is that a bolt has the same diameter for the entire shank, but a screw tapers to a point. And I say this as someone who used to have to sort and count both screws and bolts at both my current and some former jobs.

Where do machine screws fit then?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

James' definition is that a bolt is something whose primary purpose is a dowel, it just happens to be secured by threads.

A screw's primary purpose is to fasten.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
We may never know the difference, or whether they can be sorted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Anyway I don't know whether I dare imagine that any of this week's episode was unscripted, including Hammond releasing the car from 20 feet up and the Doc Brown guy in the audience.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HERAK posted:

Wood screws?

Should have drawn a Venn diagram. I meant to explain the difference between bolts and threaded metal things which could be called bolts but are in fact screws.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nooooooope.

Ask me what I do for a living. Go on.

Edit: You have done something I hate, which is using a deliberately (and very clearly stated) simplification as some kind of opening to "correct" it, and on top of that what you've said is wrong.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 13, 2017

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

So, how about that new episode

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm shocked to learn that James May doesn't know his Land Rovers well enough.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I would have liked to see the Giulia vs M3 vs XK instead of reef building.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Screw y'all.

New ep was goodish but dragged in places.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Screw y'all.

New ep was goodish but dragged in places.

FCA must be paying big sponsorship bucks, with all the Chrysler, Alfa and FIAT (next week) products they're featuring. Still liked the Giulia segment, the rest of the show was rather hackneyed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Buhbuhj posted:

I would have liked to see the Giulia vs M3 vs XK instead of reef building.

I thought the same thing. The reef thing was just kind of bland. The Alfa segment was pretty good though.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

The reef segment was great. The show is at its best when it's just the three of them screwing around or is it bolting around?

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

taco_fox posted:

The reef segment was great. The show is at its best when it's just the three of them screwing around or is it bolting around?

they are called machine screws you plebian!!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

hillo posted:

they are called machine screws you plebian!!!

Yeah, they're at their best when they're machine screwing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I kept waiting for them to say "Thank you to the government of Barbados for sponsoring our vacation :haw:"