Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
ARMS looks kinda legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It must need the dock since it is also the AC adapter. It must use a lot of power to output to a tv. Maybe it drains battery too fast.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

zenintrude posted:

What would you prefer? Something proprietary?

A standard DC input jack.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Constellation I posted:

ARMS could be pretty cool with regular controls.

Wrong

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Nintendo clearly smoked whatever Squid Lab was smoking and created Arms.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

ethanol posted:

Lmao ok bud I'm the mentally deranged one here wanting my tablet to not have a loving dock be mandatory

Is this the first time you've heard anything about the switch? They've always spoken about the dock since launch. Why on earth would there be a dock if you could just plug it into a TV? Please do not be this willfully dense, Ethan.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
Nintendo has made a serious gently caress up this time around, and when I saw this entire presentation I just have to wonder if they are trying to sabotage themselves into the software only market for 3rd party consoles, because they should have made that transition a long time ago. They have completely lost touch with their market (US market anyway) and while I admit I do not understand the nuances of the Japanese market, I doubt they give two shits about Fifa 17.

$300 for the console without a game. (Par for the course) But $300 on legacy hardware ultimately means they still view the market as profitable from the hardware side. Meanwhile, the entire market is shifting to Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality, 4k, higher end graphical power, and still concentrating on the "Fun". Battery life at 3 hours on the go for Zelda. Controllers made for Tyrion Lannister, and showing 4 people hovering around a 7" kick-stand display with another 2 set of controllers that also cost $90 extra. :what:

$70 for the Pro Controller. :suicide:

2 games at launch. One being a major title that everyone is waiting for, but also can be bought for a Wii U. With the very limited power adjustment increase from the Wii U, we won't be seeing much difference in scale between the two consoles from a performance stand point.

Introducing a paid online component to begin in October - When online has NEVER been Nintendo's strong suit. Lack of lobbies, adding friends in a convenient manner, party functionality, the list goes on and on here. They have no experience developing for accessibility in the online arena yet they are going to have the gumption to just stand up a paid service (Can't wait to see how much it costs considering they are charging 70 for a pro controller) to rival PS Plus and Live.

I, aside from some relic designers remaining in the MMORPG industry, have never seen such blatant idiocy in my entire life - and I just have to wonder how... I mean seriously, not trolling - How? How can any organization be this idiotic and stupid?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm buying it, I've got a trip to India in August and already have USB-C chargers for my phone so I imagine just being able to Switch around with Mario Kart and Zelda on the flight will be worth it.

I don't anticipate a discount within the first three months as is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ARMS looks cool. Not gonna sell the system for me yet.

Music is good.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Check out the 2D sprites cheering for us in the background

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Arms only has 5 characters.

Gonna be the splatoon model all over again. Please wait for new content to be developed.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Harlock posted:

Arms only has 5 characters.

Gonna be the splatoon model all over again. Please wait for new content to be developed.

They've said several times that this is a demo

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Seems like the arms are more important then the characters.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

omg they made wii boxing a full game yessssssssss

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

It must need the dock since it is also the AC adapter. It must use a lot of power to output to a tv. Maybe it drains battery too fast.

Wait, it can't even charge outside of the dock? The Switch was appealing to me because I don't have room for a TV but don't want to play on tiny portables all the time. That appeal is kind of gone if i have to stop playing every 2 hours.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

Is this the first time you've heard anything about the switch? They've always spoken about the dock since launch. Why on earth would there be a dock if you could just plug it into a TV? Please do not be this willfully dense, Ethan.

You're right I should always expect the worst from Nintendo I will be more careful in the future

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ARMS does seem more interesting after a longer gameplay video, but only just.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man I wish that the Switch has a bunch of games that run at 20fps. That's what I'm missing from this console generation.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

grand theft grotto posted:

Watching the Treehouse stream and ARMS looks really fun in motion. The trailer didn't grab me too much but I kinda want this now.

Yeah me too. I love fighting games but skipped SF5 cuz gently caress Capcom's bullshit with that game, and nowadays anyway I'm too busy with work to spend hours grinding online. This game looks fun and has enough interesting quirks that I think it would definitely scratch that itch for me.

Hell with ARMS, Zelda, Bomberman R, and Puyo Puyo Tetris (which I have on Vita but people would actually be able to play with me on Switch) I'm feeling a lot better about the Switch launch.

280 is kinda ridiculous though. On Black Friday I got a PS4 with Fifa 17, Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne for 246 total so 280 for just a Switch feels a bit much.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Arms looks fun but it's definitely not something I'd buy.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Wait, it can't even charge outside of the dock? The Switch was appealing to me because I don't have room for a TV but don't want to play on tiny portables all the time. That appeal is kind of gone if i have to stop playing every 2 hours.

You can charge it outside the dock with its USB-C port. They mentioned you can charge while playing at the conference yesterday.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

It can, it has a USB-C port on the bottom edge of the tablet.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Arms looks loving retarded.

Motion controls game. No thanks I already have vr where I've done all this poo poo already.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Just give it up guys, the dream of Nintendo is over. They don't want to compete, they want to make money on nostalgia and gimmicks. 3 loving Wii type system in a row

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Focusing us on the crowd was a bad idea. I feel terrible for all of these digital people trapped in a lower FPS.

Also yeah, paid online plan seems like a double down on nintendo logic. I don't see how that is going to end without some sort of apology to customers and big overhaul to it if the paid part of it isn't just dropped entirely.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I can't tell if the twitch stream is hosed or if these frame drops are real

edit: it's twitch
it might be switch too of course

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 13, 2017

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Does Nintendo still link your digital games you may purchase to your machine and not your account? I seem to remember that was how it went with the Wii and Wii U. Kinda killed me buying any digital games.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

enojy posted:

It can, it has a USB-C port on the bottom edge of the tablet.

USB-C is really important too - it should be able to fully recharge in under an hour if it's like anything else I own.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just found out they're charging 50 dollars for 1, 2, Switch

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Motion controls game. No thanks I already have vr where I've done all this poo poo already.

As someone who doesn't feel like dropping $400-$700 for a VR headset, and also tends to play videogames while keeping an eye on his infant daughter and thus can't really spend extended periods of time with a headset strapped to his face, I appreciate that motion controls offer a VR lite experience without the cost or isolation.

HarveyxCosmonaut
Jan 27, 2009
Man if ARMS and 1,2 Switch were included with the console I'd be a lot more excited for this. Wanting to know about game pricing because there seem to be neat games but not $60 games.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Also Wii was released 11 years ago and in that time there have been zero games with waggle controls that would not be improved by having non-waggle controls instead.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Motion controls game.

You can use regular buttons too friendo.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Didn't they mention that ARMS also supports conventional controls too?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll prolly get Zelda for WiiU.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Wheany posted:

Also Wii was released 11 years ago and in that time there have been zero games with waggle controls that would not be improved by having non-waggle controls instead.

Spoken like someone who's never played Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just found out they're charging 50 dollars for 1, 2, Switch

Wii Music baby

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Did they ever find the body of Sleepy Translator?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
OK after watching the treehouse demo for Arms I'm gonna get it, it looks a lot better in extended play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was hoping that 1, 2, switch would be a new wario ware game, but it still looks neat. good thing gamefly exists.

• Locked thread