Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ranbo das posted:

It's amazing how many people who totally aren't into hate speech are mad at hate speech laws :thinking:

In Australia our born-to-rule party is currently trying to weaken our hate speach laws because, to quote Attorney-General Senator George Brandis, "Australians have a right to be bigots".

In truth, they just hate the idea that, as wealthy white men, anyone would loving dare to tell them they can't do something, even if that's hating on the gays or the browns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Passing laws that prohibit hate speech will cut down on hate speech and the negative baggage that goes along with it just like outlawing murder has meant there have been no recorded murders for the last 25 years.

It's subjective what is or isn't hate speech and it will inevitably be defined by the majority. Lots of Christians get mad if you mock religion - the pope even said assault was an understandable reaction to it. The same people are A-OK with preachers saying people of other faiths or the irreligious are amoral and deserve to be tortured in eternity. It's not not hateful at all, just central to their beliefs.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gorilla Salad posted:

In Australia our born-to-rule party is currently trying to weaken our hate speach laws because, to quote Attorney-General Senator George Brandis, "Australians have a right to be bigots".

In truth, they just hate the idea that, as wealthy white men, anyone would loving dare to tell them they can't do something, even if that's hating on the gays or the browns.

But it did give us the hilarious case where an Australian politician tried to prove that the laws were dumb and vexatious and a waste of time when he got angry at a journalist calling him an angry white male so he tried to sue her under the hate crime laws to prove his point and the case got thrown out before going to trial, proving that the laws actually had robust checks and balances which weeded out lovely pointless complaints.
He responded by saying that the Human Rights Commission which had rejected his claim didn't understand the law. :nallears:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

MRW Shelly Duvall grinds on me

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2jMKjjowhM

Two Australian news ladies fight about how one of them should wear a jacket.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Phanatic posted:

It's cute that you think hate speech laws are about protecting the powerless. They're not. Let's take a look at what hate speech laws are actually used for.

1. Poland convicted a heavy metal musician for ripping up a Bible onstage. They also fined another musician over $1,000 for merely "offending religious feelings."
2. Coptic Christians in Egypt are routinely punished for violating that nation's laws prohibiting 'defamation against religion.'
3. Turkey routinely tries people for "insulting religious values."
4. The story of Pussy Riot in Russia is well-known.
5. This dude in Belgium was jailed for 4 months for ripping up a Koran.
6. Kenya uses its hate speech laws to selectively prosecute people who criticize powerful politicians.
7. The UK has arrested teenagers for things like angrily denouncing British military involvement in Afghanistan: "he didn’t make his point very well and that is why he has landed himself in bother," said the cops. What a surprise that that country's hate speech laws are so frequently used against Muslims.
8. France (where it's illegal for Muslims to wear headscarves, by the way, and the ECHR has upheld that law when it was challenged), treats anti-Semitic hate speech very different than it treats anti-Muslim hate speech. I wonder why that is.

Get into a rent dispute with your landlord in Pakistan? He might just report you to the authorities for hate speech at which point you enter a world of poo poo. Anger a local politician over some trivial bullshit? Hope you've never said anything in front of witnesses that he can go after you for. These laws don't have anything to do with preventing genocide. They're about giving the powerful another tool to selectively persecute their enemies. When you stand up to defend hate speech laws, do you really understand what you're supporting and what you suggest America should abandon?

By the way, true threats are unprotected speech in the US, as is speech that is intended to and likely to incite an immediate breech of the peace.

I just want to say that I really like your posts.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

In case someone misses it, look at the drink.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

this is the perfect goatkcd

:nws: https://goatkcd.com/1357/ :nws:

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

FuhrerHat posted:

In case someone misses it, look at the drink.

Holy poo poo, she nearly spilled her drink!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

marshmallow creep posted:

I just want to say that I really like your posts.

I just want to say that his posts are bad, and he should feel bad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9M9rodtoTU
Dancefighting, a dangerous game.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

FCKGW posted:

this is the perfect goatkcd

Every goatkcd is perfect

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I loving love hate speech talk, because people are "criminalizing ideas arglebargle". Canadian hate speech laws don't outlaw ideas, because, if I was a lovely person I can still say "I hate Chinks, they're ruining the country," for example. The line is crossed then I say to people, "Hey, those Gypsies over there steal everything, including kids, we should kill them." It's the incitement to cause the actions of others that makes it hate speech." It's a two-part test. The hatred, then the incitement.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

That cat flying headlong into a chair... it's Multifreude :allears:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Let's gently caress poo poo up!

http://i.imgur.com/S9vlf78.gifv

Oh no, there was a security camera! Don't worry, I know what to do ...

http://i.imgur.com/uE32p2w.gifv

The perfect crime!!!!

quote:

They were arrested yesterday and fined with 1500 euros each.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I loving love hate speech talk, because people are "criminalizing ideas arglebargle". Canadian hate speech laws don't outlaw ideas, because, if I was a lovely person I can still say "I hate Chinks, they're ruining the country," for example. The line is crossed then I say to people, "Hey, those Gypsies over there steal everything, including kids, we should kill them." It's the incitement to cause the actions of others that makes it hate speech." It's a two-part test. The hatred, then the incitement.

There are very narrow exceptions to freedom of speech, and incitement is already one of them. And if it's motivated by race/religion/sexual orientation it's also gets classified a hate crime.

I guess there may be a misunderstanding of the phrase "hate speech". In the US I'd consider racist speech, homophobic speech, and holocaust denial as "hate speech". Repugnant, but not illegal. Incitement however is different legally in the US and is real crime that does get prosecuted.

However, the case does have to pass the Brandenburg Test to be considered a crime. It must be intended, likely and imminent.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 05:21 on Jan 13, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeVQzOtN70

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

Phanatic posted:

It's cute that you think hate speech laws are about protecting the powerless. They're not. Let's take a look at what hate speech laws are actually used for.

1. Poland convicted a heavy metal musician for ripping up a Bible onstage. They also fined another musician over $1,000 for merely "offending religious feelings."
2. Coptic Christians in Egypt are routinely punished for violating that nation's laws prohibiting 'defamation against religion.'
6. Kenya uses its hate speech laws to selectively prosecute people who criticize powerful politicians.
7. The UK has arrested teenagers for things like angrily denouncing British military involvement in Afghanistan: "he didn’t make his point very well and that is why he has landed himself in bother," said the cops. What a surprise that that country's hate speech laws are so frequently used against Muslims.
8. France (where it's illegal for Muslims to wear headscarves, by the way, and the ECHR has upheld that law when it was challenged), treats anti-Semitic hate speech very different than it treats anti-Muslim hate speech. I wonder why that is.

Get into a rent dispute with your landlord in Pakistan? He might just report you to the authorities for hate speech at which point you enter a world of poo poo. Anger a local politician over some trivial bullshit? Hope you've never said anything in front of witnesses that he can go after you for. These laws don't have anything to do with preventing genocide. They're about giving the powerful another tool to selectively persecute their enemies. When you stand up to defend hate speech laws, do you really understand what you're supporting and what you suggest America should abandon?

By the way, true threats are unprotected speech in the US, as is speech that is intended to and likely to incite an immediate breech of the peace.

lol i've never put someone on ignore before.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anybody who has posted about free speech in the last few pages is a terrible poster

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fullroundaction posted:

Every goatkcd is perfect

It's weird how that works out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao wtf is wrong with america's lack of free speech? you can't threaten someone & you can't yell fire in a crowded theatre & you can't lie in court

this is bullshit

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Woodburger posted:

lol i've never put someone on ignore before.

*person gives counter examples in a debate*

"Haha, nice troll. Welcome to my ignore list"

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Why does LA have more football teams than airports?

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

bossy lady posted:

It doesn't? There's Burbank, SaMo, LAX, Ontario, and like 10 more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

du -hast posted:

It doesn't? There's Burbank, SaMo, LAX, Ontario, and like 10 more.

If you get to count those dinky things, I get to count college teams.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Phanatic posted:

Those are good examples, but the application of hate speech laws isn't binary. It's not like they're only used to persecute people. Just because they can do that doesn't mean they can't also be used to protect innocent people. If anything, these examples are evidence that we might need hate speech laws, but heavily-regulated use of them. (And also impartial, independent judiciaries, which a lot of these examples glaring lack).

But I don't want to contribute any more to this boring derail, so here's some children getting hurt:

...And a baby being traumatized:

:colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bossy lady posted:

Because we need to see two teams struggle financially for 10-15 years before they move from LA. Just like the last time they tried this.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

bossy lady posted:

I don't know, why does LA have more football teams than airports?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Because we need to see two teams struggle financially for 10-15 years before they move from LA. Just like the last time they tried this.

I know the NFL is just salivating to get money out of that media market but LA is just not a football town, and they should know it by now.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

He was doing so good too

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Serves him right for having that stupid chin beard

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Poor thing...
It got cut out by a forest ranger and is now serving as a warning display for humans (and maybe some really clever animals) to not go out on a frozen river.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Serves him right for having that stupid chin beard

Chin beards are cool when you're like 19 or 20 and its impossible to convince a dude around that age otherwise. Trust me, a lot of my family members tried.

I say family and not friends because like 80% of my male friends had that stupid thing.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jan 13, 2017

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mcbexx posted:

Poor thing...
It got cut out by a forest ranger and is now serving as a warning display for humans (and maybe some really clever animals) to not go out on a frozen river.

Is that a boar? Dog?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looks like a fox.

I wonder what the warning sign hanging off the back half says.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Outrail posted:

Is that a boar? Dog?

Fox

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Skippy McPants posted:

Looks like a fox.

I wonder what the warning sign hanging off the back half says.

SEND HEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Some of the Sheep posted:

This is an argument for free speech. If everyone's trapped inside their own heads because discussion is illegal, then there's no way those lovely beliefs will ever be challenged or changed.

you aren't going to change a racists mind just like the guy pointing out the westboro guy was breaking gods law wont change the westboro guy's mind. hate speech laws are used lovely in some countries as you pointed out but those are more letter of the law vs spirit of the law issues. I would rather have hate speech laws so when some racist / homophobic gently caress says some racist / homophobic poo poo that he can be locked up before he burns down a church or lynches a teenager.

not that we have been perfect with our hate speech laws for example this case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.A.V._v._City_of_St._Paul the edgelords doing this deserved their time because edgelords don't grow out of cross burnings and drift to the left they grow into white hoods. The supreme courts but they broke other laws charge them with that has a point though. they should of had both charges of arson and hate speech levied against them.

and this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snyder_v._Phelps shows. The westboros homophobia being given a pass is definitely showing people that they can be homophobic shitlords who incite hatred and violence as long as they use their religion as their excuse.